VentureBeat: PS4 outselling XOne roughly 2:1 on eBay.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Dreams-Visions (26569 posts) -

If you’re hoping to give a PlayStation 4 or Xbox One as a present for the gift-giving holidays, time running out. You’re likely looking at a Jingle All The Way scenario, and that’s not good for anyone.

To avoid that Sinbad and Schwarzenegger-filled nightmare, many people have turned to eBay to pick up one of the next-gen consoles. In fact, eBay sellers have auctioned off nearly 100,000 Xbox Ones and PlayStation 4s combined, according to Baird market analyst Colin Sebastian. As of this report, Sony’s machine is outselling Xbox One on eBay nearly 2-to-1.

That’s 65,000 PlayStation 4s and 33,000 Xbox Ones resold (almost always at a higher price) to people on eBay. In a note to investors, Sebastian estimated that eBay sold $50-million-worth of the new Microsoft and Sony systems.

The disparity in sales between Xbox One and PlayStation 4 on eBay could represent a wider demand for PlayStation 4. That’s possibly because gamers find Sony’s offering more desirable or potentially because the PlayStation 4′s supply is more constrained than Xbox One’s.

In the weeks leading up to Christmas, shoppers were much more likely to find an Xbox One on store shelves or online than PlayStation 4, according to shopping site BuyVia. Last week, the PS4 was only available to purchase for one day out of seven. The box One, meanwhile, appeared in stock at least once a day.

Currently, Xbox One is generally available and PlayStation 4 is not.

Of course, the eBay PS4s and Xbox Ones (and the $50 million in sales they represent) won’t have any impact on Sony’s or Microsoft’s bottom lines. Consumers likely purchased almost all of those units from a traditional retailer for the purpose of turning a profit on eBay.

http://venturebeat.com/2013/12/23/ebay-users-have-sold-around-65k-playstation-4s-and-33k-xbox-ones/

Seems to line up with the rest of the MSM/Gaming articles we've been seeing that suggest the PS4 is in higher demand in all regions and territories. I think that $100 premium is either (a) moving more gamers and parents into the PS4 camp or (b) attracting users who are current PS3 owners to make the nextGen leap faster than the One is prompting 360 owners.

Not sure which yet.

#2 Posted by Cruxis27 (1908 posts) -

Cool. Wal-Mart screwed up PS4 pre-order, sending it to me no charge. Long story short, $600 on eBay. We are the real winners here.

#3 Edited by Dreams-Visions (26569 posts) -

@Cruxis27 said:

Cool. Wal-Mart screwed up PS4 pre-order, sending it to me no charge. Long story short, $600 on eBay. We are the real winners here.

oh WOW.

Good job on that hustle. I probably would have tried Criagslist first. eBay taxes too stronk.

#4 Posted by Jacobistheman (3975 posts) -

Ebay is a place for people to sell things they don't want.

#5 Posted by Riverwolf007 (24001 posts) -

hey look, another gen where i am going to like a play a crapload of games on 2 or 3 consoles and one of them will end up in last place.

#6 Posted by Dreams-Visions (26569 posts) -

@Jacobistheman said:

Ebay is a place for people to sell things they don't want.

It would be interesting to look more closely at the numbers and see if there are simply proportionally more PS4's available to be sold on eBay and if that accounts for some of the discrepancy.

#7 Posted by MonsieurX (31157 posts) -

Don't see how this is a good news for the PS4...less people wanted it

#8 Edited by 06 (935 posts) -

@MonsieurX:

Less people wanted it but yet more were Bought... Makes sense.

#9 Posted by MonsieurX (31157 posts) -

@06 said:

@MonsieurX:

Less people wanted it but yet more were Bought... Makes sense.

65k bought it but didn't want it,how sad?

#10 Posted by darkangel115 (1928 posts) -

so OP makes a thread saying the PS4 is in higher demand? yet shows and article where twice as many people purchased one just so that they can resell it then xbox?

#11 Posted by dbtbandit67 (353 posts) -

@Dreams-Visions: I think more than the price disparity, there's still a lot of confusion over certain aspects of the Xbox One. I don't think it will ever shake the stigma of being an online-digital-TV-connected-system. And it is.

The PS4 is a really good gaming console and that's it.

#12 Edited by Heil68 (46115 posts) -

Good news keeps on flowing.

#13 Edited by Dreams-Visions (26569 posts) -

@darkangel115 said:

so OP makes a thread saying the PS4 is in higher demand? yet shows and article where twice as many people purchased one just so that they can resell it then xbox?

A rather specious interpretation, don't you think? Scalpers will scalp, and people are paying a higher price to buy PS4's on eBay and they're selling pretty briskly. This suggest a higher demand than retail can meet. Of course, all the numbers we've been seeing coming in the last couple weeks all point in that same direction.

Presently, the PS4 is seeing stronger demand in all regions. #1 seller in the US in November, probably the same in December, and most certainly stronger across the world. Whether that remains true is TBD.

#14 Posted by darkangel115 (1928 posts) -

@Dreams-Visions said:

@darkangel115 said:

A rather specious interpretation, don't you think? Scalpers will scalp, and people are paying a higher price to buy PS4's on eBay and they're selling pretty briskly. This suggest a higher demand than retail can meet. Of course, all the numbers we've been seeing coming in the last couple weeks all point in that same direction.

Presently, the PS4 is seeing stronger demand in all regions. #1 seller in the US in November, probably the same in December, and most certainly stronger across the world. Whether that remains true is TBD.

and what exactly is the meaning of this? do we get some sort of prize if one system outsells the other? What do sales exactly prove? The point i said was the OP made a thread about ebay sales meaning more people are wanting PS4s but its a catch 22 because less people wanted them and chose to sell them. in the end it balances out. I have both systems and i do think 1 is better then the other, but if you looked at sales then it would mean i think they are the same????? Its an ass backwards argument with "data" that doesn't even support the OPs position

#15 Posted by kingtito (5117 posts) -

Ebay sales don't even count towards total sales since the sale was already counted when the purchaser bought it in the 1st place. So instead of getting 2 sales they only get the 1. Sony's not getting more sales from Ebay so what exactly is the point in posting this crap? Bragging about someone buying a PS4 just to turn around and make a profit off of it? How does that benefit Sony?

#16 Posted by WitIsWisdom (3823 posts) -

@kingtito said:

Ebay sales don't even count towards total sales since the sale was already counted when the purchaser bought it in the 1st place. So instead of getting 2 sales they only get the 1. Sony's not getting more sales from Ebay so what exactly is the point in posting this crap? Bragging about someone buying a PS4 just to turn around and make a profit off of it? How does that benefit Sony?

I think the point trying to be made is that there is more demand for the PS4 since two times as many people are willing to dish out the extra money. Or perhaps it is the fact that the ones listed are selling twice as fast which may show availability in stores is lower. Does this necessarily mean anything? No... not until we know total number of units shipped in the regions in question.. and yet on another note.. who cares? lol

Seriously though.. it is no secret that PS4 is outselling the X1.. however I think it is a LOT closer than most people were expecting.. myself included.

#17 Edited by eNT1TY (1061 posts) -

It's safe to assume that for the foreseeable future both consoles will sell out of its stock as soon as it becomes available. The race is just about who can manufacture and distribute more.