Vanquish best gameplay in a TPS ever?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gillri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 gillri
Member since 2004 • 5926 Posts

Just talking about pure gameplay here, yes Gears and Uncharted 3 have incredible gameplay but I thought Vanquish was a cracking play and maybe didnt get the sales it deserved

the kinetic energy of the game was almost too much at times, I only just got round to playig hence this post

do you reckon it has the best gameplay in a TPS ever? the Japanese really are the best at pure gameplay IMO

padaporra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 padaporra
Member since 2005 • 3508 Posts

I tryed the demo a couple of times and wasn't impressed.

lowkey254

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#3 lowkey254
Member since 2004 • 6031 Posts

It offers a more unique gameplay style than other TPSs. I enjoyed this game a lot. I hope E3 surprises me with an announcement for a sequel

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

Judging by the demo it certainly is fun, but Uncharted 2 is better IMO. I actually liked the training more than the level I played :P.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Its the Bayonetta of TPS games. People might not like it, but it is leaps and bounds better than any other offering in terms of gameplay.

Mitazaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Mitazaki
Member since 2005 • 1501 Posts

I really don't get, this whole "best ever". Wouldn't it be better to say, "currently the best", as no one knows for how long till it gets dethroned. Just my nitpick at something I always seem to see here.

TheMoreYouOwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 TheMoreYouOwn
Member since 2010 • 3927 Posts

I don't agree that the Japanese are the best at gameplay, but Vanquish is definitely the king of tps.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e9357e99ffb8
deactivated-5e9357e99ffb8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 deactivated-5e9357e99ffb8
Member since 2007 • 1255 Posts

Vanquish deinately introduces some new mechanics in the gameplay, but I couldnever get into it. Not saying I was bad at it, I just didn't really feel it was for me. I prefer Gears gameplay.

lowkey254

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 lowkey254

It is all based on opinion really. I think it's the best though.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

Haven't played many TPS, but Vanquish was pretty fun, albeit pretty short.

Kan0nF0dder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Kan0nF0dder
Member since 2009 • 1962 Posts
Beat Vanquish on hard, and for all the things people say about pushing the genre forward I felt Uncharted 2 was smoother, and if you combined your movements and decisions with approriate weapon changes and melee, deeper too. Vanquish was clunky at times, and the bullet-time effect was a little irritating - shooting incoming missiles out of the air that are coming straight at you belongs back in the 2D side-scrollers.
lowkey254

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 lowkey254
Beat Vanquish on hard, and for all the things people say about pushing the genre forward I felt Uncharted 2 was smoother, and if you combined your movements and decisions with approriate weapon changes and melee, deeper too. Vanquish was clunky at times, and the bullet-time effect was a little irritating - shooting incoming missiles out of the air that are coming straight at you belongs back in the 2D side-scrollers.Kan0nF0dder
That was part of the fun to me. I love 2D side scrollers and to have that element in a 3d world just seemed "magical" (steve jobs lol). Like I said before, it's all opinionated.
Avatar image for deactivated-594be627b82ba
deactivated-594be627b82ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#13 deactivated-594be627b82ba
Member since 2006 • 8405 Posts

nope, not even in my top 100. I really don't understand why people are so impressed by it, is it because you can slide?

RoOodriGowW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 RoOodriGowW
Member since 2008 • 3309 Posts

Its the Bayonetta of TPS games. People might not like it, but it is leaps and bounds better than any other offering in terms of gameplay.

foxhound_fox

Exactly what I think , the most amazing part is that both of them come from the same dev , way to go platinum games! :D

Mystery_Writer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Mystery_Writer
Member since 2004 • 8351 Posts

I'm willing to buy it if it becomes available through xbl games on demand.

Edit: wow, what a coincidence, I've just checked, & it seems it has been added to xbl games on demand couple of days ago (May 10, 2011).

I just bought it & downloading it now.

savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 savagetwinkie
Member since 2008 • 7981 Posts

foxhound_fox
the game play is just different, i don't see how power sliding and bullet time elevates the gameplay at all, i think a game like GoW gives a much more visceral experience and is more immersive, I haven't played uncharted though but now that i got a ps3 i might give it a whirl but its never really interested me
VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts

Captainqwark10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Captainqwark10
Member since 2011 • 1170 Posts

VendettaRed07

Terrilbe game.

Dragerdeifrit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19 Dragerdeifrit
Member since 2010 • 769 Posts

Vanquish Gameplay was good, but RE4/5's was better imo ^^

00-Riddick-00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#20 00-Riddick-00
Member since 2009 • 18884 Posts
Not by a long shot.
ReddestSkies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ReddestSkies
Member since 2005 • 4087 Posts

"Best third person shooter gameplay" isn't a very competitive field to begin with. Vanquish has interesting gameplay mechanics, that's for sure, but it still is held back by being a chest-high-wall shooter at its core.

I still don't understand why they don't make games that have "crouch" and "jump" buttons anymore. I found it insanely frustrating in Vanquish to see that my character was constantly jumping in cutscenes but was glued to the ground in actual gameplay.

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts
Purely based on gameplay? Yes. It's the smoothest, least clunky TPS made. I fail to see how it's arguable. Best of all cover isn't mandatory. You can do pretty well just blasting around killing fools without the need to sit behind cover every 2 seconds to regen health for 6 seconds. Uncharted 2 still manages to be better than it overall but it's gunplay can be a bit of a mess sometimes and Drake occasionally doesn't aim where he should for seemingly no reason (still did a better job of that than almost all other TPS games).
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

foxhound_fox

Basically what I was going to say

Avatar image for Master_ShakeXXX
Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

#24 Master_ShakeXXX
Member since 2008 • 13361 Posts
Absolutely. Vanquish contains some of the most responsive, action packed, and brilliant gameplay ever concieved. Few games come close to it's flawless execution.
Avatar image for Master_ShakeXXX
Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

#27 Master_ShakeXXX
Member since 2008 • 13361 Posts
Beat Vanquish on hard, and for all the things people say about pushing the genre forward I felt Uncharted 2 was smoother, and if you combined your movements and decisions with approriate weapon changes and melee, deeper too. Vanquish was clunky at times, and the bullet-time effect was a little irritating - shooting incoming missiles out of the air that are coming straight at you belongs back in the 2D side-scrollers.Kan0nF0dder
I demand an explanation for this comment! Vanquish is perhaps the most un-clunkiest game ever in the history of unclunky games. It's smoothness is unmatched. It's controls are as smooth as a babies' bottom and as perfect as a supermodel's behind!
RoOodriGowW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 RoOodriGowW
Member since 2008 • 3309 Posts

[QUOTE="Kan0nF0dder"]Beat Vanquish on hard, and for all the things people say about pushing the genre forward I felt Uncharted 2 was smoother, and if you combined your movements and decisions with approriate weapon changes and melee, deeper too. Vanquish was clunky at times, and the bullet-time effect was a little irritating - shooting incoming missiles out of the air that are coming straight at you belongs back in the 2D side-scrollers.Master_ShakeXXX
I demand an explanation for this comment! Vanquish is perhaps the most un-clunkiest game ever in the history of unclunky games. It's smoothness is unmatched. It's controls are as smooth as a babies' bottom and as perfect as a supermodel's behind!

I totally second this , I demand an explanation too , lol.

Forza4Champion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Forza4Champion
Member since 2011 • 722 Posts

I tryed the demo a couple of times and wasn't impressed.

padaporra
i tried the demo and i was really impressed. i think i will get it used on Amazon.
RandomWinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 RandomWinner
Member since 2010 • 3751 Posts

Easily. Uncharted is my favorite series this gen without much trouble, but that is clearly a game more than the sum of its parts, as evident by Drake's Fortune, which is clearly the inferior game (although the gameplay is almost exactly the same, the melee is better imho). Vanquish is the funnest TPS I've ever played easily. The enemies, the shooting, the difficulty, everything was phenominal and polished. I wouldn't have sold it if it wasn't so short.

Some-Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#31 Some-Mist
Member since 2009 • 5631 Posts

nope, not even in my top 100. I really don't understand why people are so impressed by it, is it because you can slide?

da_illest101

it has a lot to do with the little things. the constant overwhelming fast pace/fast movement. the game is consistently intense. throwing grenades and shooting them in mid air. sitting behind cover under heavy fire and flicking a cig in the opposite direction as a distraction. the zone of the enders like bosses that fly and slide around.

it may not be the best ever, but it is insanely awesome and arguably underrated.

Avatar image for deactivated-61cc564148ef4
deactivated-61cc564148ef4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-61cc564148ef4
Member since 2007 • 10909 Posts

For me it's Gears, but Vanquish is fast and exciting