Vampyr - the next Bloodlines?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#1 texasgoldrush
Member since 2003 • 14893 Posts

Looks like a true successor to Bloodlines, in fact, looking like more of the immersive sim RPG experience that Bloodlines failed at, as you can complete the game without killing as well as who you kill will impact the area around you. If you do not kill, you get the best ending, however, you do not level up, so it will be a challenge to achieve this ending. You can also sire certain people as well.

Bloodlines was a great game, but in the end, probably because of it not being finished, it railroaded your playstyle and became too combat heavy. Vampyr looks like it will stay true to the immersive sim RPG.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

lol. nothing will approach BB. Vampyr looks like a 6/10 game.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By texasgoldrush

@silversix_ said:

BB does not have the immersive sim elements (it has some) that Vampyr will have, and Vampyr is more focused on role playing than combat.

And also I am comparing it to BLOODLINES, not BLOODBORNE.

WallofTruth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4 WallofTruth
Member since 2013 • 3471 Posts

@silversix_ said:

Why are you mentioning BB? They're talking about Vampire Bloodlines.

CrashNBurn281

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 CrashNBurn281
Member since 2014 • 1574 Posts

Hard to take you seriously when your username sounds like a scratch off ticket. On topic, from what I have seen, this game has my attention.

I guess we shall see how it turns out.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

@walloftruth said:
@silversix_ said:

Why are you mentioning BB? They're talking about Vampire Bloodlines.

ffs i thought this was about BB. f*ck i'm out of here.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

uhh lol no. you can't evren create yor own char. You gotta play generic white dude #54234234.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By texasgoldrush

@zaryia said:

uhh lol no. you can't evren create yor own char. You gotta play generic white dude #54234234.

The other games the developer had used a multiracial female protagonist and a teenage girl protagonist with a teenage girl deuteragonist.

The protagonist is a break here, plus, he is not generic at all.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

While I'm looking forward to this game, there are a few key elements that VtM:B had that this game won't:

• Contemporary setting RPG. Early 1900s is less generic than a medieval RPG but one of the things I loved about Bloodlines was the modern setting. Clubs, pawn shops, dingy apartments, highrises, docks, etc.
  • While based in a vampire mythos, not specifically based on Vampire: The Masquerade which was a really fleshed out pen and paper RPG long before they ever made a computer game out of it.
  • No character creation. Another element missing in part because it's not based on a pen and paper but the tradeoff there is you may lose some replayability in exchange for a stronger narrative thread.

Still, it looks pretty cool. I've played the shit out of worse looking games just because they had neat ideas.

-Byshop

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#10 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

Or someone just give me a fully remade Bloodlines, awesome game.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

@texasgoldrush said:
@zaryia said:

The other games the developer had used a multiracial female protagonist and a teenage girl protagonist with a teenage girl deuteragonist.

The protagonist is a break here, plus, he is not generic at all.

What you just wrote did not clear my grievance.

Bloodlines let me make my character from choosing gender and bloodline, and then many skill types.

In this you play bland white guy #50233000. It seems nothing like bloodlines other than the fact you get to play a vampire.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#12 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24920 Posts

No its third person means no immersive sim.

Avatar image for the_master_race
the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13  Edited By the_master_race
Member since 2015 • 5226 Posts

nothing can replace VMB

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46260 Posts

I like Dontnod, but nothing I've seen from Vampyr impressed me so far.

The setting looks great though, that's the main draw for this game.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 texasgoldrush

@zaryia: Vampyr lets you choose many skill types, from a stealth and influence build to a instinct build to a blood user build. Also, you can play the game weak and not kill anybody as the only way to level up is to feed on people. And a white guy makes sense because of the time, place, and profession of the protagonist (as a doctor).

@ghosts4ever: No, immersive sims can be third person or even overhead. Immersive sims come from Ultima. Underworld is just the first to do in in first person.

@Byshop:The problem with Bloodlines, other that it is unfinished (they restored a Sabbat ending recently), is that it goes from immersive sim RPG at the beginning to a hack and slash corridor game in the end, where speech builds are irrelevant and combat builds rule. Also the game as absolutely rude difficulty spikes and pacing issues. Also, the writing could be much better than it is, although the Malakavian is fun.

Vampyr could easily top it, although they have the Remember Me writers instead of the Peabody winning Life is Strange team. Oh well, they are probably working on a second season.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

I hope it comes at least close to Vampire: The Masquerade

darklight4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 darklight4
Member since 2009 • 2094 Posts

I don't want to play as a vampire that struggles with being as such and tries not to kill. Shit Twilight has ruined vampire mythos instead of cold undead killers of the night who understand their nature, what we get are emo's dealing with emotions with a bit of blood suckiong thrown in. Classic dracula all the way.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#18 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Not impressed so far. Looks decent but it'll be very hard to top or even come close to Bloodlines.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 texasgoldrush

@Cloud_imperium said:

Not impressed so far. Looks decent but it'll be very hard to top or even come close to Bloodlines.

Bloodlines is not hard to top.

Its a good game, don't get me wrong, I played it multiple times. But Bloodlines has role playing problems. If Dontnod executes here, it will have bloodlines beat in that department.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

I dunno, it looks ok. I definitely have my eye on it, but the pre-alpha demo above doesn't look that impressive to me. Decent graphics/ambiance, I suppose.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#21 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

@texasgoldrush said:
@Cloud_imperium said:

Bloodlines is not hard to top.

Its a good game, don't get me wrong, I played it multiple times. But Bloodlines has role playing problems. If Dontnod executes here, it will have bloodlines beat in that department.

We'll see.

pug987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By pug987
Member since 2005 • 460 Posts

I think it will be very hard for Vampyr to reach the levels of Bloodlines, one of the best RPGs ever made. However it looks good and I have faith in the company. I've played both Life is Strange and Remember me and they are both great. Life is Strange is all the fad lately but people should really give Remember me a chance. It's an action game but it's fun and the story is interesting. Plus it still looks great on PC with everything maxed.

Too bad they went for a male protagonist this time. It probably fits the story better. However there are so few companies that get female characters right that I wish we see more female leads from them in the future.

It's also worth noting that they have already tried their hand in an action game, an adventure and now an RPG (and a multiplayer game that I don't know much about). It's nice to see a company be diverse and be good at it.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 texasgoldrush

@pug987 said:

I think it will be very hard for Vampyr to reach the levels of Bloodlines, one of the best RPGs ever made. However it looks good and I have faith in the company. I've played both Life is Strange and Remember me and they are both great. Life is Strange is all the fad lately but people should really give Remember me a chance. It's an action game but it's fun and the story is interesting. Plus it still looks great on PC with everything maxed.

Too bad they went for a male protagonist this time. It probably fits the story better. However there are so few companies that get female characters right that I wish we see more female leads from them in the future.

It's also worth noting that they have already tried their hand in an action game, an adventure and now an RPG (and a multiplayer game that I don't know much about). It's nice to see a company be diverse and be good at it.

Bloodlines falls well short of being one of the best of all time, and in fact Vampyr looks to address many of the issues I have with Bloodlines in which choices have actual consequences. In bloodlines they really didn't. Bloodlines failed to also keep your options open throughout the game, and the area design falls well short of Thief and Deus Ex. Vampyr looks to keep your options open throughout the game and have consequences for your actions.

And I wouldn't call LIS a fad, it was a game changer and a genre bar raiser. And really DONTNOD may become the CD Projeckt Red of adventure games with that series. And they may be working on a second season right now. I think LIS will be DONTNODs main vehicle while they work on other games as well.

Geekymcgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Geekymcgeek
Member since 2017 • 1 Posts

Hello everyone, first time ever posting on a forum like this but I feel so strongly about the topic I just had to.

I have followed and looked at Vampyr and there are certain elements of it that look really good:- stunning environment, interesting story, freedom of movement, multiple endings affected by your actions all the way though etc.

There are also parts that turn me off:- a fair few of the battles seem to be you against a group, dialogue that doesn't actually say what you think it will, the object interface stands out as stark white against the background which isn't as immersive, the fact that I cannot play a female (can't pretend it doesn't bother me), also the way it seems to want to play on guilt by revealing peoples thoughts as you kill them.

All in all my view is that Bloodlines is one of the best, most immersive, replayable RPG games ever made that has something that just grabs me every time and even though Vampyr may be very good I do not think it will come anywhere close to VTMBL or stand the test of time in the same way.

Forums are absolutely full of people saying this about Bloodlines. I do not know why you keep stating how easy it will be to top as a fact when everyone I have ever seen has the polar opposite view but you repeat your point to everyone that states it over and over. If you did not get grabbed by it, that is a true shame and it is sad that you did not gain as much enjoyment as the vast majority but that doesn't change the mass cult following and love that has accrued for this game over the years because of exactly how good it is and how hard it is to beat :) Everything big and obvious, character design, story, quest variety, humour, setting and environment design, the way it is just scary enough to keep me sitting up straight but enable me to still actually be able to play it and enjoy the thrill..to the small things: from the perfect level of typing to automation with the 'hacking' feature to the effect when you kill a vampire to even the sound when you gain experience or complete a quest, not to mention the way you can gather and store experience. A lot of tiny little things that, to me, make it really special. I hope there will be a lot of little things about Vampyr too but from the gameplay I have watched, not so far.

I hope Vampyr is good, I really do, I would love a new game that I really enjoy - but what I'm really holding out for is that 'one day' next Vampire the Masquerade game.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#25 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Lol love how people praise Bloodlines even though it was a buggy mess with crippling bugs, meanwhile any game now and days that did what Bloodlines did it would be a 5/10 game at most. Goes to show how shitty gamers are now and days.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

Looks really gloomy.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

You have set protagonist?

My expectation just went down. I wanted to play as Nic Cage

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

We don't appreciate people raising the dead here! Let Vampire threads lie in their coffins.