Valve, Sony, and Microsoft Are On Board. Nintendo is late to the party.

• 76 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

Poll Valve, Sony, and Microsoft Are On Board. Nintendo is late to the party. (83 votes)

Nintendo will invest in VR 18%
Nintendo will not invest in VR 47%
Nintendo will not invest in VR until it's too late 35%

Frankly, I am surprised. Given Nintendo's penchant for attempting to change the game, I would have thought that they would be at the forefront of the reignited Virtual Reality wave, but so far, they are lagging, and they are lagging terribly.

Sony, Microsoft, and Valve have already all invested in and committed to VR with Morpheus, HoloLens, and SteamVR- what is Nintendo doing? Are they waiting for their next generation of hardware so they can have it built into the experience? Are they just going to ignore it? VR is looking like it will be something big, and unless Nintendo moves fast, it will be left behind, lagging, like it still does to this day in the online space.

So- what do you think? Will Nintendo invest in VR? Will they ignore it? Will they not touch it until it's too late? Are they just waiting for their next console to do it?

• 
DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

Hololens isn't VR, it's AR. They'll co-exist just fine, if not one of them ends up "dying".

Has for Nintendo, the question is if they'll have the software (games wise) to push a VR headset. With the lack of 3rd party support, they'd have to rely on internal development to make them.

However, one of the key elements for VR is first person view which, though not mandatory, isn't something they end to focus on for game development.

I think Nintendo will stay away from VR, atleast until they're next main console, which will depend on how teh hardware will go

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

Ninty seems to be very careful in announcing stuff early nowadays, especially after that sensor thing they announced back few years ago.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

If Nintendo were going into VR they'd have gone in first

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

you're surprised nintendo is afraid of expensive technology? where you have been the last 30 years?

LordQuorthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 LordQuorthon
Member since 2008 • 5803 Posts

Normal people will never pay for virtual reality devices.

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

well the vr headset wont even fit on kids + it could scare them or something.

vr: not compatible with kids

Raptor_Herc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Raptor_Herc
Member since 2013 • 330 Posts

They did twenty years ago, and came to the conclusion that it was not worthwhile.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7264 Posts

In think VR will be slightly more successful than 3D TV has been, but I don't see it going mainstream anytime soon.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

The technology is interesting. However, there is a HUGE stepping stone involved in reaching the general consumer. I simply have a hard time seeing people utilizing over sized headsets for interactive media.

Nintendo attempted this stepping stone with Virtual Boy. They also received a lot of negative press around the 3D with the 3DS--something that is bound to hit the VR scene when these things start becoming advertised for sales.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

Nintendo are very arrogant. The fact that everyone is already in the VR bandwagon is pretty much the confirmation that they will never jump on it. Just wait till Reggie starts his damage control about how uninteresting VR actually is, how far behind the technology is for proper VR and so on.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#11  Edited By Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

I hope that Nintendo does not cave in this regard. I really see this as a pretty superficial fad like 3D. It's kinda neat for a little while, but it ultimately doesn't change anything. I'm going to say that motion controls are far more beneficial for this medium than VR headsets.

VR doesn't even benefit the majority of gaming genres. Then there is the price of admission to consider... It just feels like a hypey buzz word to me.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

@Gue1 said:

Nintendo are very arrogant. The fact that everyone is already in the VR bandwagon is pretty much the confirmation that they will never jump on it. Just wait till Reggie starts his damage control about how uninteresting VR actually is, how far behind the technology is for proper VR and so on.

It is though. Virtual Reality. People will first have to adopt these bulky headsets to create a sales arena. People will then have to massively support the software. This is essentially companies looking for new ways to sell product. I often read here that people just want to kick back and relax when playing a game. VR sort of negates this. Constant movement will be required in addition to a more upright playing position. VR would also change game design methodology. Now I'm not a fan of the current trends, but things would drastically change to the point where the current market would likely phase out.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#13 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@Pikminmaniac: motion controls ruined last generation, Nintendo made some good games last generation but we're too awkward to play with motion controls.

Only now I can emulate them with my pc im I enjoying some of the Wii library.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22669 Posts

Implying Nintendo could be "too late" is also implying there will be games that make a VR headset worthy of a purchase. I'm more interested in voting on that question first.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

People bitched about a tablet controller making the Wii U worth more than they'd be willing to pay for a (Nintendo) console. What do you think a VR headset is going to do?

And how has Sony, MS and VALVe come "on board" exactly? They have merely debuted the concept technology, they haven't detailed any sort of release schedule nor pricing. It will still be a long time before we see non-PC VR/AR devices as standard on consoles. Hell, I doubt it won't be till next generation when the tech becomes cheap enough to be justified to include with one.

svaubel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 133

#16 svaubel
Member since 2005 • 4571 Posts

Personally I hope Nintendo waits. VR is a fad and unproven right now. Every company and their mother is showing off a new headset every week. It remains to be seen that once the new coat of shiny wears off, if the tech will be adapted by the mass market.

Remember 3DTVs? How hard those crashed and burned?

no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 no-scope-AK47
Member since 2012 • 3755 Posts

VR is for the hardcore and kidtendo don't do hardcore. Not to mention their hardware is lacking to put it nicely.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 foxhound_fox

@svaubel said:

Personally I hope Nintendo waits. VR is a fad and unproven right now. Every company and their mother is showing off a new headset every week. It remains to be seen that once the new coat of shiny wears off, if the tech will be adapted by the mass market.

Remember 3DTVs? How hard those crashed and burned?

Personally, I don't think VR is going to be a fad at all, it's just not "it's time" yet. It's still very expensive technology, and no developers are really showing any support for it yet (for the most part everything is modded in by game communities). In 5-10 years it will be a huge part of gaming. I think Nintendo is likely playing the waiting game to see how it is received before bringing out their version.

Then there is the whole issue of it only ever being a niche peripheral intended for a more invested gaming audience. So it being "standard" on a gaming console would be out of the question and financial suicide for any company that tries to make it standard.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17813 Posts

i dont think they will invest in it at all.

if they were going to do it the time to do it was the wiiu. to do it properly though would have meant an expensive console (low res screens really wouldnt work with VR and straming the video feed wirelessly would have meant more powerful wireless equipment leading to even more cost). a console with a focus on VR with an enhanced wiimote and nunchuck would have been awesome (imagine a metroid prime with a console like that) but it would have been expensive.

with valve, sony, facebook and MS all taking an interest now (with facebook having most of the legwork done) its a red ocean. what could nintendo bring to the table by the time they are ready to launch?

if they ever decide to look into it i think it may be as an addon for their next handheld rather than a main focus for any of their devices.

SakusEnvoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SakusEnvoy
Member since 2009 • 4764 Posts

Nintendo may or may not have something up their sleeve for next gen, but if they do, they wouldn't announce it until they're ready to unveil their next console. I do think the key for Nintendo is that they want to be able to build in gimmicks directly to their systems. It needs to come with the system at no great cost to the user, and virtual reality doesn't seem like it would fit the bill right now. The other issue is that virtual reality is an "isolating" experience and Nintendo prefers to create consoles which encourage multiple people to share in the experience.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 foxhound_fox

@speak_low said:

foxhound_fox, MS and Sony aren't making their AR HoloLens and VR Morpheus a mandatory purchase or central to their X1/PS4 consoles.

Then they are going to have problems selling it. People already have issues forking out $400 for a gaming console (the amount of people complaining about spending $600 on a PC is evident of this) so if this isn't a standard issue device, people aren't going to be interested, and Sony and MS will be throwing money away.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46260 Posts

Nintendo was FIRST to the party, as always

Avatar image for EducatingU_PCMR
EducatingU_PCMR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24  Edited By EducatingU_PCMR
Member since 2013 • 1581 Posts

Cheaptendo lol, they'd make an overpriced VR garbage with 800x600 res

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#25 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts
@R4gn4r0k said:

Well, second. Sega created the Sega VR first, although it was only released in arcades. And the Sega VR (with head tracking and colourful 3D graphics) was superior to the Virtual Boy.

Nevertheless, Nintendo already had VR two decades before Morpheus, Sony, Microsoft and Valve. Considering the abysmal failure of the Virtual Boy, it's no surprise why Nintendo isn't going there again.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#26 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

If memory serves Nintendo did this decades ago. Its good to see everyone else finally join the party 20 years later.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#27 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Voted, Nintendo will not invest in VR until it's too late.

I think VR won't become mainstream anytime soon. I could be wrong though.

Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Desmonic  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 19990 Posts

....You're surprised Nintendo isn't on board with the latest tech craze (granted that this one might become the norm and/or even revolutionize gaming)? You call yourself Sheep King?

Shame on you! :P

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45101 Posts

I'll give Nintendo one thing. They found a way to make 3D work.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

I think VR will be the next big bubble in gaming after motion controls.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

I think VR is too much of an advanced gimmick for Nintendo. It's one thing to make modifications to a controller, tack on an extra screen, or add accelerometers to a hand held device, but it's another to properly R&D higher end gimmicks.

Pray_to_me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Pray_to_me
Member since 2011 • 4041 Posts

Nintendo was first. With the virtual boy.

Sylveon128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Sylveon128
Member since 2015 • 99 Posts

@Gue1: how do we even know vr wil be good? To me it is going to be another gimmick or trend so nintendo not investing in vr might be good if it don't take off. I really do think that vr is pointless and offer nothing to game just like motion controls. I also remember ps homes and people were saying that nintendo should have done something like ps homes and that they are late to the party but in the end we found out sony was wrong and it was a big waste of money.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#34  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

Not happening, Nintendo still doesn't have party chat, unified accounts, digital rights retention, or third party support, and they'll soon be behind on digital streaming for cable/satellite alternative. This is a company that's too incompetent to publish Fatal Frame V outside Japan, hell they can't even digitally publish Metroid Zero Mission for that matter, and all they have to do is will it to happen.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

People apparently forgot about this

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#36 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

>Late

Nintendo has had the idea since Virutal Boy.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
Member since 2009 • 6176 Posts

VR.. another short lived gimmick just like motion controllers.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

"Late to the party" - VB for VR and 3DS for AR.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46260 Posts

@Jag85 said:

Well, second. Sega created the Sega VR first, although it was only released in arcades. And the Sega VR (with head tracking and colourful 3D graphics) was superior to the Virtual Boy.

Nevertheless, Nintendo already had VR two decades before Morpheus, Sony, Microsoft and Valve. Considering the abysmal failure of the Virtual Boy, it's no surprise why Nintendo isn't going there again.

Did not know that. Interesting to hear !

Well, you could say the 3DS does something similar to current VR glasses: with the 3D effect and gyroscope.

With the new 3DS and OOT for example you can look around in first person and the camera moves and you see everything in 3D.

@nini200 said:

Oh, how they want to :P

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40  Edited By DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

Virtual Boy was not virtual reality. It was a way of conveying primitive 3D, but you couldn't turn your head and have the gameworld react to where you were looking at. You might as well say those viewfinder things are VR.

Some Nintendo fans are playing down VR, others trying to claim the shittiest console in history was VR when it clearly wasn't, you can tell they are salty.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

At this point I'm in a wait and see approach if this tech is utilized long term and not an expensive gimmick like Kinect.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#42  Edited By princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

VR is in that area where it mostly appeals to enthusiast gamers and is expensive to produce. The combination of the two make them unappealing to Nintendo, as they'd prefer to market their inexpensive-to-make products to mainstream consumers. And what Nintendo games would actually work well with VR? Even if Nintendo made VR the feature of their next console, it would be difficult to slap VR support onto every game they make, unlike Wii and motion controls.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

@nini200 said:

Oh, how they want to :P

Lol touche

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

Everybody will invest in VR, it's the future. It will actually make you able to move while playing and this is the biggest problem with computergames right now. A lot of people already do computer/desk work at their jobs, so vr is ideal for cardio.

Running around in battlefield sure beats 'just running' and cardio is a necessity , for young and old

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts

I hope they don't, SONY and MICROSOFT are moving in a direction i don't really care for but Nintendo have stuck to what they are, a Games company that makes good solid Games for GAMES MACHINES not Multimedia hubs that do everything at the expense of a pure gaming experience.

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts

@AzatiS said:

agreed:)

Don't look so shocked:)

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

@delta3074 said:

@AzatiS said:

the only reason motion control failed is because it wasn't in vr

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

@commander said:

@delta3074 said:

@AzatiS said:

the only reason motion control failed is because it wasn't in vr

Actually they putting so much effort in VR when in reality ( and not virtually ) very few people are excited about it. Personally i dont give an F :)

As long as i can play amazing quality games with the traditional way im all good. The only reason i can think to really give a crap about VR is if the whole gaming industy move to that direction as their main focus. That ofc wont happen ( maybe in 2100 or beyond , who knows ) anytime soon therefore ... I just want awesome games to play ... not gimmick ways to play games.