Valve redesigned their controller. It looks...better?

• 77 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Edited by emgesp (2013 posts) -

That has to be the worst D-Pad I've ever seen. Even the Sega Master System D-Pad looks more functional.

#52 Edited by Lucianu (9287 posts) -

the d pad is fine for fps's/rts's not fine for fighting games, but then again what fighting game is on the PC platform? none really,

i think its a step forward

Mortal Kombat: Komplete Edition, Super SF IV: Arcade Edition, The King of Fighters XIII, BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger and a bunch more are on PC, and that's not even counting console emulation and MAME. The fighting genre has been healthy on PC, just not as popular as on consoles, and as a PC gamer and a fighting game fan, that d-pad is horrible.

Same goes for any 2D platformer/action-side scroller as well, which have seen a renaissance since past generation.

#53 Edited by RoslindaleOne (7565 posts) -

I don't even know how to pick it up.

#54 Posted by WallofTruth (1059 posts) -

Oh god...kill it with fire... but whatever, I don't really care anymore, I'll keep using my DualShock 4, it's godly on PC.

#55 Posted by vincent380 (2237 posts) -

Looks Uncomfortable

#56 Edited by superclocked (5823 posts) -

@edidili: I've played almost every shooter on the 3ds xl, and aiming with the stylus was far more accurate than analog sticks...

#57 Posted by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

I dont think I would advertise your general intelligence on that.

#58 Posted by RoslindaleOne (7565 posts) -

@SEANMCAD said:

@RoslindaleOne said:

I dont think I would advertise your general intelligence on that.

Thank you. Have a nice day. :)

#59 Posted by charizard1605 (54389 posts) -

Holy shit, that Dpad.

#60 Edited by Mr-Kutaragi (1841 posts) -

almost bad as xbox dpad.

#61 Posted by ShepardCommandr (2122 posts) -

looks terrible

#62 Posted by Consternated (481 posts) -

ITT: People who don't understand PC gaming, or the goal of the controller.

#63 Posted by CountBleck12 (22494 posts) -

Looks pretty ugly.

#64 Posted by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

why do people care what a game controller looks like?

#65 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16048 posts) -

Holy shit, that Dpad.

Why would they go with such an awful d-pad :'(

even Xbox controllers have a decent d-pad now.

#66 Edited by Grey_Eyed_Elf (3672 posts) -

No thank you. Wired 360 controller is all I need for my PC and my keyboard and mouse.

#67 Posted by NoodleFighter (6939 posts) -

They should of kept the touch screen :(

#68 Posted by DocSanchez (1396 posts) -

I'm open minded on the trackpads but the dpad looks woeful.

#69 Posted by arkephonic (6208 posts) -

It's the shittiest looking controller I've ever seen in terms of both looks and functionality. Ever. In my life.

#70 Posted by Gargus (2147 posts) -

I don't care for it. But really its probably just from the fact I don't care about steam box in general nor do I have a desire to ever buy one.

I already own a PC, my PC can do everything the steam box can and play all the same games.....plus do another 10,000 things and play another 10,000 games and it can be hooked up to a tv just the same. And I already own consoles for big screen tv gaming.

#71 Posted by Gue1 (9124 posts) -

I hope they at least offer support for 3rd party controllers because the steam controller looks like the only thing you'll be able to play with it are RTS and stuff like that which I don't give fucks about.

#72 Edited by lhughey (4221 posts) -

The Dpad is a mess.

#73 Edited by achilles614 (4837 posts) -

Looks way better than X1 or PS4 controllers, both of those are pretty horrible controllers. So far I've been liking the Wii U Pro controller the most, the D-pad is great. I'll probably get this controller at some point, definitely ITT people fail to realize the point of this controller.

I play tons of 2D platformers, and most of them control great with an analog stick. Fighters I could see being an issue, but heck get a arcade stick if you care that much. I don't see adapting to the touch pads being a big deal.

#74 Edited by Joedgabe (5090 posts) -

You know.. it's okay to make a similar design to someone else if that's what works.

#75 Edited by hiphops_savior (7675 posts) -

For reference, this is what the controller most resembles.

#76 Posted by treedoor (7478 posts) -

Looks lame.

#77 Posted by Mark36111 (545 posts) -

Steam Box is going to make Wii U look like a smashing success.

#78 Edited by iwasgood2u (675 posts) -

it's ok folks how often do you look down at your controller? we spend most of the time staring at the tv than the controller we're holding. as long as it's responsive and brings us much closer to gaming then it's a win win for us! even if it looks like a shoe box, i would still use it as long as it gives me the best experience. hay ya!