Valve or Rockstar

• 127 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

HAZE-Unit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 HAZE-Unit
Member since 2007 • 10564 Posts

Rockstar is definitely top 10 devs of all times, Elite tier. But Valve is part of the 3 God Tier devs (Nintendo, Blizzard & Valve)

So Valve automaticaly wins.

Lucianu

Rockstar basically introduced a whole new genre with GTA3, what did Valve introduce?

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#52 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

Rockstar basically introduced a whole new genre with GTA3, what did Valve introduce?

HAZE-Unit

All 3 revolutionized gaming and introduced incredible innovations. I'm not talking about games only, but what they did to improve upon gaming. I'm keeping tabs of everything wen thinking about a God tier dev.

HAZE-Unit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 HAZE-Unit

[QUOTE="HAZE-Unit"]

Lucianu

All 3 revolutionized gaming and introduced incredible innovations. I'm not talking about games only, but what they did to improve upon gaming. I'm keeping tabs of everything wen thinking about a God tier dev.

fair enough, could you tell me about the innovations and revolutions Valve brought to the industry as a whole ?

TheOtherTheoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#54 TheOtherTheoG
Member since 2010 • 2287 Posts

[QUOTE="Lucianu"]

[QUOTE="HAZE-Unit"]

HAZE-Unit

fair enough, could you tell me about the innovations and revolutions Valve brought to the industry as a whole ?

Well, Steam, for a start.
Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#55 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

HAZE-Unit

Valve built Steam, evolved the shooter genre beyond Doom, Counter Strike & Team Fortress was built upon the HL engine and after buying those mods, they improved on them, making upgraded version and CSS & TF2. Source Engine.

Blizzard created the ARPG genre & the MOBA (Massively online battle arena) genre was created on their games (now we have countless MOBA games), Battle.net, evolved the RTS genre and built the most popular MMORPG ever, WoW (which is also massively influencial now because of WoW clones)

Nintendo is Nintendo.

I'm not looking at just the *games*, but everything they influenced for the gaming industry in a pozitive way. People are going to disagree and say that we should only look at the games. But i'm not going to do that.

Devs that stand far above every other dev., like the difference between Man and God, do much more than make games.

ManicAce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#56 ManicAce
Member since 2009 • 3267 Posts
Valve easily. Left 4 Dead, TF2 and Portal 2 are fresh, fun, polished, Valve has some of that Nintendo spirit in them. Rockstar makes boring overhyped crap with laggy controls.
razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#57 razgriz_101
Member since 2007 • 16875 Posts

rockstar..gotta support the local developer :P (talkin bout North)

catfishmoon23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 catfishmoon23
Member since 2005 • 5197 Posts

Rockstar.

DethSkematik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 117

#59 DethSkematik
Member since 2008 • 3900 Posts
Hard for me to say...both companies are committed to quality, and always support their fanbase. I guess it comes down to which games I prefer, which is also tough...I love GTA as much as I love Half-Life, and so forth :P.
braddlesturbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#60 braddlesturbo
Member since 2007 • 212 Posts

It's a close call. The games ive played from both developers

Valve: Half Life series, Team Fortress 2, Left 4 Dead, Portal

Rockstar : GTA series, Red Dead Redemption

Probably have to give valve the edge. They have also done alot for the pc scene with Steam

AmayaPapaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#61 AmayaPapaya
Member since 2008 • 9029 Posts

I'll go with Rockstar I suppose...Eh. I like Portal and Half Life is pretty cool, but the old GTA's and RDR are really good games too. So I go with R*

HAZE-Unit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 HAZE-Unit

[QUOTE="HAZE-Unit"]

Lucianu

Valve built Steam, evolved the shooter genre beyond Doom, Counter Strike & Team Fortress was built upon the HL engine and after buying those mods, they improved on them, making upgraded version and CSS & TF2. Source Engine.

Blizzard created the ARPG genre & the MOBA (Massively online battle arena) genre was created on their games (now we have countless MOBA games), Battle.net, evolved the RTS genre and built the most popular MMORPG ever, WoW (which is also massively influencial now because of WoW clones)

Nintendo is Nintendo.

I'm not looking at just the *games*, but everything they influenced for the gaming industry in a pozitive way. People are going to disagree and say that we should only look at the games. But i'm not going to do that.

Devs that stand far above every other dev., like the difference between Man and God, do much more than make games.

Lets put Blizzard and Nintendo aside for while since the thread is about Valve vs Rockstar. And Im not asking you to talk games only, as I said it's fair to point out steam and stuff other than games.

but Rockstar making a new genre that opened new doors for the whole industry to think of a new way to make games sounds way better than Valve improving from the same genre.

Last but not least Steam doesn't strike me as "OMGWTF" god tier material it's just a service after all.

I remember the Counterstrike craze unfortunately I didn't play it cuz the FPS genre was not my cup of tea back in the day but I give you that, I can't deny CS.

Mr_Cumberdale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#63 Mr_Cumberdale
Member since 2004 • 10189 Posts
Rockstar. Every single game I played of Valve was decent, but cannot compete with Rockstar. That's not saying Rockstar is all that impressive though.
Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Rage010101
Member since 2006 • 5470 Posts

easily valve. valve and blizzard are my fav devs

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#65 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

Valve, but Rockstar is no slouch. They do need to work more on porting games to the PC though. But they need to be strong ports. Maybe they are heading in that direction with the release of LA Noire (PC).

Avatar image for Doom_HellKnight
Doom_HellKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#66 Doom_HellKnight
Member since 2005 • 12217 Posts
Valve. No question.
Another-World

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Another-World
Member since 2011 • 784 Posts

λ

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#68 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

Rockstar

Sgt_Crow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#69 Sgt_Crow
Member since 2004 • 6099 Posts
Really, really tough choice, but I'm going with Rockstar.
Lost-Memory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Lost-Memory
Member since 2009 • 1556 Posts
I vote Valve. Don't get me wrong, Rockstar is a great developer. But Valve games hold my interest. Come on Half Life 3 !!!
ArisShadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 ArisShadows
Member since 2004 • 22784 Posts
Valve.. Their games just take more of my time.
PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#72 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

Cant decide! Those are two of my favourite devs.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
i agree...valve are just TOO good... the last great game from rockstar was san andreas..
FFVIII-Squall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 FFVIII-Squall
Member since 2011 • 56 Posts
RockStar everday of the week...Vavle only know how to do FPS and overhyped, overrated bad games..
Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Phoenix534
Member since 2008 • 17774 Posts

RockStar everday of the week...Vavle only know how to do FPS and overhyped, overrated bad games..FFVIII-Squall

And all Rockstar knows how to do is sandbox action-adventure games that are overhyped and overrated. Your point?

FFVIII-Squall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 FFVIII-Squall

[QUOTE="FFVIII-Squall"]RockStar everday of the week...Vavle only know how to do FPS and overhyped, overrated bad games..Phoenix534

And all Rockstar knows how to do is sandbox action-adventure games that are overhyped and overrated. Your point?

Sandbox games take more time to dev require more talent to pull off. Valve only do FPS because they are scared to come out of there comfort zone.
Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Phoenix534

[QUOTE="Phoenix534"]

[QUOTE="FFVIII-Squall"]RockStar everday of the week...Vavle only know how to do FPS and overhyped, overrated bad games..FFVIII-Squall

Sandbox games take more time to dev require more talent to pull off. Valve only do FPS because they are scared to come out of there comfort zone.

So is Rockstar. At least Valve is trying to make something besides shooters. Portal is puzzle game first and foremost and DOTA II is far from a shooter.

FFVIII-Squall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 FFVIII-Squall
Portal wasnt even there idea they stole the prototype off of some poor indie dev.. and its still a FP game with shooting. Whats DOTA2 btw? Rockstar have matured as a dev team Red Dead proves this.
Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts

Portal wasnt even there idea they stole the prototype off of some poor indie dev.. and its still a FP game with shooting. Whats DOTA2 btw? Rockstar have matured as a dev team Red Dead proves this.FFVIII-Squall

You sure haven't matured one bit thats for sure...

Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 Phoenix534

Portal wasnt even there idea they stole the prototype off of some poor indie dev.. and its still a FP game with shooting. Whats DOTA2 btw? Rockstar have matured as a dev team Red Dead proves this.FFVIII-Squall

No, they didn't steal anything. Portal was made by the team that did the Narbacular Drop after Valve hired them. And how does Red Dead prove that they've matured?

FFVIII-Squall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 FFVIII-Squall

[QUOTE="FFVIII-Squall"]Portal wasnt even there idea they stole the prototype off of some poor indie dev.. and its still a FP game with shooting. Whats DOTA2 btw? Rockstar have matured as a dev team Red Dead proves this.Phoenix534

No, they didn't steal anything. Portal was made by the team that did the Narbacular Drop after Valve hired them. And how does Red Dead prove that they've matured?

GTA vice and Sa where very good games but they was about gangsta wannabe's etc so was GTA4...R* needed a new start an new direction and they made Red Dead.
DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts

Rockstar by far.

Every game Valve puts out is flat out mediocre; Especially that L4D game -- very overrated developer overall.

TecmoGirl
:lol: GTAIV - 10 on Gamespot Talk about overrated...
racing1750

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#83 racing1750
Member since 2010 • 14567 Posts
Rockstar because their games just appeal to more, that and GTA is one of my favourite franchises.
Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts

[QUOTE="Phoenix534"]

[QUOTE="FFVIII-Squall"]Portal wasnt even there idea they stole the prototype off of some poor indie dev.. and its still a FP game with shooting. Whats DOTA2 btw? Rockstar have matured as a dev team Red Dead proves this.FFVIII-Squall

GTA vice and Sa where very good games but they was about gangsta wannabe's etc so was GTA4...R* needed a new start an new direction and they made Red Dead.

So there new direction started off by making video games? Who knew....

lordreaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 lordreaven
Member since 2005 • 7239 Posts
[QUOTE="FFVIII-Squall"][QUOTE="Phoenix534"]

RockStar everday of the week...Vavle only know how to do FPS and overhyped, overrated bad games..FFVIII-Squall

ROFL, you do realize there a techniques for building an Open world fast right? Oblivion used a random gen (with obvious editing after to make certain areas mountains, rivers etc.) then the Dungeons where then added. Then speed tree was used to cover the landscape. Infact Infamous used a hex grid with Buildings that had 12 interchangable parts to make the city fast (only 12 people worked on the City iirc). Don't think all the open world games are ENTIRLY handcrafted. R* has their own technique to build a citys fast.
dragonball3900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 dragonball3900
Member since 2005 • 8511 Posts
Rockstar. I hated Portal and while L4D is fun, its no Red Dead Redemption.
lazerface216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 lazerface216
Member since 2008 • 7564 Posts

[QUOTE="FFVIII-Squall"]RockStar everday of the week...Vavle only know how to do FPS and overhyped, overrated bad games..Phoenix534

the midnight club franchise is not a sandbox action adventure game, either is l.a. noir which they had a hand in developing. lol also, the greatest table tennis game known to man. please quit acting like rockstar is a one trick pony. and how are they "overrated"? because one game they released this gen (GTA4) received 10s all over the place?

jettpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 jettpack
Member since 2009 • 3192 Posts

Valve definately. no contest.

jettpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 jettpack
Member since 2009 • 3192 Posts

Rockstar. I hated Portal and while L4D is fun, its no Red Dead Redemption. dragonball3900
you hated portal!?

lazerface216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 lazerface216
Member since 2008 • 7564 Posts

[QUOTE="dragonball3900"]Rockstar. I hated Portal and while L4D is fun, its no Red Dead Redemption. jettpack

you hated portal!?

yeah, i don't know how that's possible. i'm playing portal 2 right now and it's by far the best game i've played this year. a truly mind blowing game.

Avatar image for JetB1ackNewYear
JetB1ackNewYear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#92 JetB1ackNewYear
Member since 2007 • 2931 Posts
i dont like gta and i didnt like hl2..... im a big pc gamer..but i would still pick rockstar ONLY because they have been putting out good games in shorter times then valve. it just seems to be that valve has been slacking hardcore.
John_Read

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 John_Read
Member since 2009 • 1214 Posts

Rockstar

Valve just buy developers who makes games portal,CS and L4d was not made by valve but they bought those developers

jaqulle999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 jaqulle999
Member since 2009 • 2897 Posts

Valve is awesome but i still love all the rockstar games so i would pick rockstar

QQabitmoar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 QQabitmoar
Member since 2011 • 1892 Posts

Valve ofcourse, and it's not even close. However, ignorant consolites will blindly defend R* though, even though it's the most overrated dev in the history of vidya.

Avatar image for HaloinventedFPS
HaloinventedFPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 HaloinventedFPS
Member since 2010 • 4738 Posts

Rockstar make GTA with a diffrent name each year and console fans eat it up and call it a masterpiece

Valve make new games every year and PC fans eat it up and call it a masterpiece

Valve innovate so they get my vote

drinkerofjuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#97 drinkerofjuice
Member since 2007 • 4567 Posts
[QUOTE="TecmoGirl"]

Rockstar by far.

Every game Valve puts out is flat out mediocre; Especially that L4D game -- very overrated developer overall.

DragonfireXZ95
:lol: GTAIV - 10 on Gamespot Talk about overrated...

Yet you, yourself, give it a 9.5.
John_Read

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 John_Read
Member since 2009 • 1214 Posts

Rockstar make GTA with a diffrent name each year and console fans eat it up and call it a masterpiece

Valve make new games every year and PC fans eat it up and call it a masterpiece

Valve innovate so they get my vote

HaloinventedFPS
L4d1 and L4d 2 :P
Kaze_no_Mirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 Kaze_no_Mirai
Member since 2004 • 11763 Posts
Valve wins this easily for me.
jethrovegas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 jethrovegas
Member since 2007 • 5103 Posts

Valve, of course.

Rockstar has maybe one good game if you stripped the best bits from all of their titles and stitched them together.