Valve is one of the Gods of Gaming, but

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Link3301 (1707 posts) -

they are not as great as people make them out to be. 

Example 1:

Ricochet:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRHK3QDz5HM9hU6jEBGJFE

Ricochet can be summed at as Tron disc battles meets twitch arena shooters. Sounds awesome right? Wrong, Ricochet was and is crap. The game was released as an official Half-Life mod by Valve in 2001. The game suffers from awkward shooting mechanics, bland arenas, the lack of a reticule, and no weapon variety. The game has players sling discs at eachother to try and behead eachother as the jump around floating pads. That's pretty much it. Note, this is a mod for Half-Life that was made by Valve themselves. that is still sold on steam, for real money. Guess even gaming gods can make some crappy games. However, this isn't Valve's only screw up.

Example 2:

Counter-Strike:Condition Zero:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTqYBXOC-6fup2uPq5TWoJ

Counter-Strike: Condition Zero is the second game in the Counter-Strike series. The game went through being developed by multiple developers. First Rogue Entertainment, then Gearbox Software, then Ritual Entertainment. Ritual's version went gold and scored reviews around 60%. Why, because of a new crappy singleplayer mode, and absolutely no changes to multiplayer. Valve handed the game to Turtle Rock to revise it. Turtle Rock pretty much restored Gearbox's work, and then included the original single player with it as deleted scenes. Valve then released it to retail. To sum things up, Valve and Turtle gave Valve fans a Counter Strike game with nothing new to offer except crappy singleplayer and slightly improved graphics. Great work Valve.

Example 3:

Steam

Yes, I agree, Steam is pretty awesome, but its also a ginat DRM scheme. Valve pretty much helped pioneer DRM on PC. Without Steam DRM, we might not have had all of this crappy DRM including always online DRM, which plagues the PC market today.

Example 4:

Half-Life's plot is ripped off from Doom

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIEivvVteTwmlDsAm8nQq

Half-Life's plot:

You are Doomguy-er-I mean, Gordon Freeman a Scientist. You are working at a company, the Union AeroSpace Corporation-er-I mean Black Mesa. They are experimenting with teleportation technology. Unfortunately, something goes wrong and the scientists accidently open a portal to Hell-er-I mean Xen and a bunch of Demons-er-I mean Aliens come through and screw everyone over. The player must fight through the labs to get to Hell-er-I mean Xen to fight the Spiderdemon-er-I mean the Nihilant.

Anyways, Valve is still awesome, just not as awesome as people make it out to be. They are one of the gaming gods, but they aren't perfect.

#2 Posted by MrYaotubo (2709 posts) -
Ricohet was basically a mod and CS CZ wasn´t developed by valve.
#3 Posted by Slashkice (13240 posts) -

You could make the argument that Valve is overrated, but those are poor examples. Of the three games mentioned, the newest is almost a decade old and it's not even the most recent entry in the series. As for Steam, the pros far outweigh the cons.

#4 Posted by Link3301 (1707 posts) -

Ricohet was basically a mod and CS CZ wasn´t developed by valve.MrYaotubo

Yes but it was published by them, they approved of the content.

#5 Posted by Link3301 (1707 posts) -

You could make the argument that Valve is overrated, but those are poor examples. Of the three games mentioned, the newest is almost a decade old and it's not even the most recent entry in the series. As for Steam, the pros far outweigh the cons.

Slashkice

Yeah, I know, I'm just tired of the Valve is perfect sentiment many PC gamers seem to have.

#6 Posted by MrYaotubo (2709 posts) -

[QUOTE="MrYaotubo"]Ricohet was basically a mod and CS CZ wasn´t developed by valve.Link3301

Yeah I know,but if it was actually developed by valve you´d have a point,it´s not the case with those examples.
#7 Posted by Link3301 (1707 posts) -

[QUOTE="Link3301"]

[QUOTE="MrYaotubo"]Ricohet was basically a mod and CS CZ wasn´t developed by valve.MrYaotubo

Yeah I know,but if it was actually developed by valve you´d have a point,it´s not the case with those examples.

Actually, I do, because if Valve was so perfect, they would not support such a dumb product.

#8 Posted by MrYaotubo (2709 posts) -

[QUOTE="MrYaotubo"][QUOTE="Link3301"]

Link3301

Actually, I do, because if Valve was so perfect, they would not support such a dumb product.

All publishers/developers have some stinkers in their portfolios,nintendo has them,rare had them,everyone has them,valve isn´t perfect by any means but neither are all others,they just do more good than bad compared to most of the others. Nintendo is often called the best dev out there and they have dozens upon dozens of stinkers in their history as well,but a lot of people also see them as almost perfect all the time(or more than most at least).

The good far outweights the bad.

#9 Posted by heeweesRus (5609 posts) -

[QUOTE="Link3301"]

[QUOTE="MrYaotubo"] Yeah I know,but if it was actually developed by valve you´d have a point,it´s not the case with those examples.MrYaotubo

All publishers/developers have some stinkers in their portfolios,nintendo has them,rare had them,everyone has them,valve isn´t perfect by any means but neither are all others,they just do more good than bad compared to most of the others. Nintendo is often called the best dev out there and they have dozens upon dozens of stinkers in their history as well,but a lot of people also see them as almost perfect all the time(or more than most at least).

This.

#10 Posted by AznbkdX (3226 posts) -

[QUOTE="Slashkice"]

Link3301

Yeah, I know, I'm just tired of the Valve is perfect sentiment many PC gamers seem to have.

For me, they aren't the greatest. Sure they made my favorite online fps of all time (TF2), and have some great games that tend to have their own lore and interesting writing, but they have very few franchises and games in general so I just don't consider them as good as a few other notable ones. Still though you can't deny that they are one of the better ones out there.

They are way more well known for having Steam more than anything else which is usually the main reason why ppl like them.

#11 Posted by Link3301 (1707 posts) -

[QUOTE="Link3301"]

[QUOTE="MrYaotubo"] Yeah I know,but if it was actually developed by valve you´d have a point,it´s not the case with those examples.MrYaotubo

I'm aware that good far outweighs the bad. Didn't you read the title?

#12 Posted by MrYaotubo (2709 posts) -

[QUOTE="MrYaotubo"]

[QUOTE="Link3301"]

Link3301

Then why make the thread in the first place when the same argument applies to every other developer?
#13 Posted by Link3301 (1707 posts) -

[QUOTE="Link3301"]

[QUOTE="MrYaotubo"] All publishers/developers have some stinkers in their portfolios,nintendo has them,rare had them,everyone has them,valve isn´t perfect by any means but neither are all others,they just do more good than bad compared to most of the others. Nintendo is often called the best dev out there and they have dozens upon dozens of stinkers in their history as well,but a lot of people also see them as almost perfect all the time(or more than most at least).

MrYaotubo

Then why make the thread in the first place when the same argument applies to every other developer?

Because they are people that deny Valve has made mistakes and worship them with no end.

#14 Posted by tagyhag (15867 posts) -
I like Valve more for Steam and Gaben rather than their games. The games are just a bonus to me.
#15 Posted by senses_fail_06 (6736 posts) -
This thread really sucks.
#16 Posted by MrYaotubo (2709 posts) -

[QUOTE="MrYaotubo"][QUOTE="Link3301"]

Link3301

Because they are people that deny Valve has made mistakes and worship them with no end.

Just like they do for many other devs,it´s normal and I wouldn´t put any thought into that,valve isn´t perfect and neither is any other dev.
#17 Posted by ConanTheStoner (5651 posts) -

Nintendo is also a top tier dev and they churn out some crap every so often.  I cant think of a any long standing devs with a large library under their name that haven't put out the occasional stinker.  

#18 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -
Counter-Strike: Condition Zero is the second game in the Counter-Strike series.Link3301
Wrong. It is the third game in the series, not the second. 1. Counter Strike 2. Counter Strike: Source 3. Counter Strike: Global Offensive I stopped reading there and wondered how many more errors you had in you post.
#19 Posted by ChubbyGuy40 (26185 posts) -

Only good games Valve has made are Counter-Strike and Dota 2. The rest are forgettable trash.

#20 Posted by Vari3ty (11111 posts) -

Valve's overrated. And in particular, the Half-Life series. 

#21 Posted by lostrib (37710 posts) -

Most people don't think god is perfect, and many like some of the games and don't like their other offerings.  But as a company/developer/business they are generally pretty great. 

#22 Posted by ShadowDeathX (10674 posts) -
On the topic of Steam, I made a poll a whiles ago on the PC forums asking which they prefer; No DRM or Steamworks. A lot more people voted Steamworks. :(
#23 Posted by Sali217 (1274 posts) -
Valve is not a "God of gaming" and steam ruined PC gaming for me. I loathe steam and Valve. I will admit I did like portal though.
#24 Posted by freedomfreak (40954 posts) -
I love their games.
#26 Posted by Ragnorok_247 (271 posts) -

Only good games Valve has made are Counter-Strike and Dota 2. The rest are forgettable trash.

ChubbyGuy40
Half life 1/2 and tf2 forgettable trash? Learn to play good games
#27 Posted by jake44 (2021 posts) -
They make great games and they own the god, Steam. They're pretty awesome.
#28 Posted by NeonNinja (17318 posts) -

[QUOTE="Link3301"]

You... I like you.

TC, not so much. But you? Yeah, you're a cool guy.

#29 Posted by TheWalkingGhost (5422 posts) -
CS CZ wasn´t developed by valve.MrYaotubo
:lol: Yes it was. Valve was one of them.
#30 Posted by percech (5237 posts) -
Valve isn't so great. Example: - They didn't make Counter-Strike, it was a mod based off of the HL engine. - they didn't make Left 4 Dead, it was a zombie mod based off of the CS: Source multiplayer. They didn't make a lot of things they' are for some reason always credited for, but I guess everyone enjoys dat Valve juice they keep sucking for.
#31 Posted by edidili (3449 posts) -

Valve isn't so great. Example: - They didn't make Counter-Strike, it was a mod based off of the HL engine. - they didn't make Left 4 Dead, it was a zombie mod based off of the CS: Source multiplayer. They didn't make a lot of things they' are for some reason always credited for, but I guess everyone enjoys dat Valve juice they keep sucking for.percech

The thing with Valve is that they open their games up for the community. Such mods would have never been possible with other games. 

They support the modding community, a great idea comes out once in a while, they hire the people that made the mod, polish it and make a new game out of it. 

And I see nothing wrong with that.

#32 Posted by percech (5237 posts) -

[QUOTE="percech"]Valve isn't so great. Example: - They didn't make Counter-Strike, it was a mod based off of the HL engine. - they didn't make Left 4 Dead, it was a zombie mod based off of the CS: Source multiplayer. They didn't make a lot of things they' are for some reason always credited for, but I guess everyone enjoys dat Valve juice they keep sucking for.edidili

The thing with Valve is that they open their games up for the community. Such mods would have never been possible with other games. 

They support the modding community, a great idea comes out once in a while, they hire the people that made the mod, polish it and make a new game out of it. 

And I see nothing wrong with that.

You see nothing wrong with Valve always getting all the credit?
#33 Posted by edidili (3449 posts) -

You see nothing wrong with Valve always getting all the credit?percech

In the case of L4D the people that came up with the mod ended up working for Valve. They became part of the company so when Valve takes credits, they get credits.

#34 Posted by skrat_01 (33767 posts) -
Either you're trying a bit too hard in trying to be edgy OP, or the writer you copy pasted from was. No offence. Ricochet was fine as a free mod. CZ was indeed utter **** in the deleted scenes department. It did have fantastic bots though, this side of its problems. Not a good game compared to 1.6. HL1 ripping off Doom's plot? Well gee golly now that's really stretching it. Anyway I'd argue Valve aren't 'the best', and think that they're pretty conservative in many, many ways in terms of games development - and tend to have too much of a weird obsession and focus on user testing. Like at every stage of development - many games, particularly Portal 2 seem to have so many creative decisions based around testing feedback. So what get are games that stay well within safe confines. Which sucks, saying that as someone who was a HL fan since the first.
#35 Posted by LustForSoul (5887 posts) -
Half-Life was groundbreaking at the time, the rest is really mediocre. They don't set a standard these days.
#36 Posted by skrat_01 (33767 posts) -
[QUOTE="percech"]Valve isn't so great. Example: - They didn't make Counter-Strike, it was a mod based off of the HL engine. - they didn't make Left 4 Dead, it was a zombie mod based off of the CS: Source multiplayer. They didn't make a lot of things they' are for some reason always credited for, but I guess everyone enjoys dat Valve juice they keep sucking for.

Not really. Valve hire talented developers who are responsible for creative IPs. That's what every developer does; and naturally ideas and designs are a commodity. TFClassic was the first; as a way to show off the Hammer tools to modders and naturally sell more copies - it became its own product, and Counter Strike had the same. Smart move. Now Left 4 Dead? That changed considerably after Valve purchased Turtle Rock - plenty recorded about that.
#37 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -
hey! ricochet was fun!! half life is god tier game
#38 Posted by MBirdy88 (8330 posts) -
DoTa 2 and Team Fortress 2 are enough reason for me to label them higher than nintendo.