Valve gets an "F" from the BBB

• 84 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

So....I didn't read this article: http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Valve-Knows-Its-Customer-Service-Unacceptable-Trying-Improve-70660.html

But I watched a video reporting on it.

But appatently...Valve has an "F" for customer service on the BBB. So the other day when so many PC gamers were making fun of that Sony sensationalized report of the guy who's credit card was charged $600 and saying "Is this for the gamers?"........I ask them if they remember these things when they say them.

Like the guy said in the video....digital download has nearly completely taken over....and Steam is the 800lb gorilla in that arena.....so you'd think with all the money they are making and being at the very forefront of this medium....they'd have....some sort of reliable customer service.

Now I've had 2 issues with their customer service....and yeah, it's sucks.

But some guy at Valve says they plan to work on it this year.

So: Valve = by PC gamers.....for PC gamers?

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 0

#2 GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts

Most Steam complaints are silly ones about refund, when Steam has rules in place against refunds post-release - something all Steam users already agreed to but still constantly complain about.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

All ready a thread made of this I think in PC section.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#4 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58896 Posts

Greenlight and Early Access have tarnished steam.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Mr_Huggles_dog

@ribstaylor1: This should be in System Wars. So I posted a thread on it.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Ribstaylor1

@mr_huggles_dog: Considering Steam is PC only and the article is referring to their steam support being horrible. Yes it does. It's why there is all ready a thread there.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Mr_Huggles_dog

@ribstaylor1 said:

@mr_huggles_dog: Considering Steam is PC only no it doesn't.

I fail to see how you grasp the concept of System Wars.

And fail to see how something like "Sony won't give back $600 to dumbass" is posted here....yet this is a no-go.

Amazing damage control.

Avatar image for deactivated-660c2894dc19c
deactivated-660c2894dc19c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 deactivated-660c2894dc19c
Member since 2004 • 2190 Posts

That happens when you give a near monopoly to a company. They can do whatever they want.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Ribstaylor1

Because Sony has more then a single platform that sells games. That's why there shit belongs here, but would again be more appropriate to put into the playstation or vita section of the forum depending on what platform the issue started on.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
Member since 2012 • 3185 Posts

Praise Lord GabeN and his glorious Steam.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Mr_Huggles_dog

Can I get a mod in here to say if this is System Wars worthy or not?

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Ribstaylor1

It doesn't matter. I just wanted to point out a thread on this very subject all ready existed. I have no real objection to it being here just that it's kind of redundant.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Mr_Huggles_dog

@ribstaylor1: 2 different forums mate.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19565 Posts

Given the vast number of stupid complaints they get 24/7, I don't think this is a particularly useful evaluation of their support services.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#15  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

@ribstaylor1: Our boards exist basically independent of each other. A thread can exist in one or more boards if the topic is relevant to the board. This is a very relevant topic for System Wars.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Ribstaylor1

Same forum different section.. Or have the way forums work changed over the lat 15 years I've been using them without my realization? Answers no.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Mr_Huggles_dog

@ribstaylor1 said:

Same forum different section.. Or have the way forums work changed over the lat 15 years I've been using them without my realization? Answers no.

See the post above yours, friend.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Ribstaylor1

@Wasdie: Fine it's worthy. I'll back off and except it. Though no wonder there's so much overlap, and redundant threads with that kind of mindset.

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 GhoX

It's worth noting that the BBB site suffers a very significant statistics bias - self-selection bias. It means that only people who encounter negative support will voice out, while people who resolve their issues will stay silent.

I read a few random complaints on the BBB site. I even came across one complaint that's complaining about not being able to access online play of a host of Valve games after receiving a VAC ban in one of those games.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Mr_Huggles_dog

@GhoX said:

It's worth noting that the BBB site suffers a very significant statistics bias - self-selection bias. It means that only people who encounter negative support will voice out, while people who resolve their issues will stay silent.

I read a few random complaints on the BBB site. I even came across one complaint that's complaining about not being able to access online play of a host of Valve games after receiving a VAC ban in one of those games.

That is a good point.

That complaint seems to be just for the sake of "getting back at Valve".

so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#21 so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts

Well why would they try harder than the absolute minimum? The money's pouring in, and they don't have to care until it slows right down (which it may not do)...

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Mr_Huggles_dog

@so_hai said:

Well why would they try harder than the absolute minimum? The money's pouring in, and they don't have to care until it slows right down (which it may not do)...

I don't use Origin much but from what I hear it's gotten a lot better.

Theres always a chance that if a company like Valve doesn't take customer support seriously....they could find themselves in the passenger seat and with their hands not on the wheel.

so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 so_hai

@mr_huggles_dog: Perhaps, but who's going to abandon their Steam library at this late date?

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Mr_Huggles_dog

@so_hai said:

@mr_huggles_dog: Perhaps, but who's going to abandon their Steam library at this late date?

Maybe not abandon it....but if ppl start buying more and more from other places.

It doesn't even have to be one company that grabs the reign.

It could be more ppl buying from Origin and Amazon and other places as a combined progression.

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By GhoX

@mr_huggles_dog: I'm pretty sure EA is a lot lot lot worse than any other video game company on the market right now when it comes to customer service.

I still remember amusing stories of some EA customer service rep simply replying a string of keyboard-slammed gibberish (literally, not metaphorically, something like "asdfsadfdsfdsfsadf"), before closing the ticket. Most of their customer service is outsourced to countries like India, manned by very generic customer service firms that may not know anything about video games or EA's products.

ADD: An oldie but a goodie:

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

Both F's, strangely though, Sony is accredited with BBB they've gotten a A+.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#27  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

@mr_huggles_dog:

I never , ever , had any problems with any Valve game before let alone with Steam as service.

F ? whatever ...

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

The biggest issue with Steam, and potentially any DD service, is that the law of digital ownership is still surprisingly not set in stone. If you buy a game, the rights with this 'product' should be that of the service agreement upon purchase. It amazes me that companies can legally update their service agreements in such a manner.

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By GhoX

@Snugenz: An accredited company has a lot more control over the complaints - e.g. filter out the trolls. They will also be able to target the complaints that actually go onto BBB directly, instead of targeting all complaints generally. It basically allows them to give special treatment to complainers in order to get a good rating.

It's effectively BBB's way of trying to get companies to pay up. I'm glad that Microsoft and Valve are not buying their bullshit. To be fair, no gamer or business would give the tiniest fart about BBB rating in the video game industry.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19565 Posts

Before people comment, try having a look through the actual complaints: http://www.bbb.org/alaskaoregonwesternwashington/business-reviews/computer-software-publishers-and-developers/valve-corporation-in-bellevue-wa-27030704/customer-reviews

You've got a bunch of stolen credit card issues ("I got charged by Steam and I've never used it!"), compounded by the victims not realising that they use an email support system. Then you've got situations where Valve did help but the customers were sick of waiting for responses (fair enough).

Then you get fun ones like:

----------------------

Complaint: I bought a game with my card and had it on my account for amost 2 weeks. then they took the game off my account saying an error happened with my credit transaction but yet the payment already cleared last week and they are keeping my money and refuse to return any emails or messages.

Desired Settlement: Either i want my game back with an apology or i want the company to pay me back double the cost of the game(15$ for the game) and an apology.

Business Response: Initial Business Response /* (1000, 8, 2014/11/05) */ Hello, This customer received a gift from another user. The other user then revoked payment for the game. The game was then removed. We are unable to provide this customer with what they are requesting. They will need to resolve the game removal with the user that revoked the gift..

------------------------------

...But hey, they all count as negative splotches against Valve's reputation on the BBB.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Ribstaylor1

@Heirren said:

The biggest issue with Steam, and potentially any DD service, is that the law of digital ownership is still surprisingly not set in stone. If you buy a game, the rights with this 'product' should be that of the service agreement upon purchase. It amazes me that companies can legally update their service agreements in such a manner.

This exactly. They even try to not give refunds to people in Europe where it is illegal to not give refunds for software that doesn't work as advertised. I've seen many cases where it takes 2-3 tickets and an eventual I'll take you to court. With the quick reply of we will now refund you.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#32 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38032 Posts

To answer your question, yes. I remember say "is this for gamers?" I don't see any hermits on this board saying PC is by gamers for gamers. That's what cows say about Sony.

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 GhoX

@Planeforger: Oh wow, that one is almost as bad as the VAC ban one.

so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By so_hai

It's growing faster than they can manage it - so now they're in the "keep the revenue coming in until we work out the details" phase...

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

This seems kind of meaningless

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#36 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17803 Posts

Seriously, who gives a **** about the BBB? Do you think Valve gives a ****? BBB is irrelevant. Every company should strive for better customer service though.

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By naz99
Member since 2002 • 2941 Posts

Maybe steam support sucks balls i don't know because my 10.5 year old steam account has never had a problem and i have never had the need to use it despite having 600 games on it....

One things for sure short of refunds there are rarely any problems (tiny percentage vs amount of users i mean) ,the servers are rock solid and secure,it looks like Fort Knox in comparison to the nonsense suffered by Live and PSN over the years,that's why there is not as big of a fuss over it.

Saying all that though from what i do hear they do really need to sort their customer support out,its the only real black cloud hanging over their heads.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#38 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Never had an issue with VALVe's CS. I've been a member for 10+ years and have over 200 games. Are people running to the BBB because they want refunds for games they don't like?

ProtossX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ProtossX
Member since 2005 • 2880 Posts

the BBB needs to be shutdown its outdated and useless in the digital online social media bad service would get out

we don't need BBB anymore its just useless

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

Never had an issue with VALVe's CS. I've been a member for 10+ years and have over 200 games. Are people running to the BBB because they want refunds for games they don't like?

More like they want refunds for games that don't work. The large amount of varying hardware and software on PC can cause unexpected issues.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By foxhound_fox

@JangoWuzHere said:

@foxhound_fox said:

More like they want refunds for games that don't work. The large amount of varying hardware and software on PC can cause unexpected issues.

If only they listed system requirements in the Store Page then this issue would be entirely avoidable.

Oh wait.

melonfarmerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 melonfarmerz
Member since 2014 • 1294 Posts

As it should. Valve CS is ass. But the fact that you're trying to connect this to a way to bash PC is hillarious.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Mr_Huggles_dog

@melonfarmerz said:

As it should. Valve CS is ass. But the fact that you're trying to connect this to a way to bash PC is hillarious.

I've seen worse.

And I'm only having some fun.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 JangoWuzHere

@foxhound_fox said:

@JangoWuzHere said:

@foxhound_fox said:

If only they listed system requirements in the Store Page then this issue would be entirely avoidable.

Oh wait.

Yes, because system requirements are always accurate and PC games never launch in buggy/broken states.

Oh wait.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 foxhound_fox

@JangoWuzHere said:

Yes, because system requirements are always accurate and PC games never launch in buggy/broken states.

Oh wait.

Most non-early access games don't have serious issues on launch (assuming they aren't from shit companies). And those early access games have a disclaimer stating they are in an early, incomplete stage.

You are basically blaming VALVe for people unable to do research and be smart consumers. Steam has reviews, community discussion and everything a savvy consumer needs to make a smart purchasing decision.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

@JangoWuzHere said:

@foxhound_fox said:

Oh wait.

We're not talking about muppets buying games that won't run on their geriatric machines. We're talking about games that flat out don't work. Saints Row 2 springs to mind.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

Hm, never had to contact their customer service. Then again I never had to contact a console manufacturer either, guess I've always been lucky.

I had my very first issue with Steam the other day. Tried to buy Hotline Miami 2 and it wouldn't download, just kept saying "purchase pending", but I was able to purchase it the next day, no issue.

@ribstaylor1 said:

@Wasdie: Fine it's worthy. I'll back off and except it. Though no wonder there's so much overlap, and redundant threads with that kind of mindset.

lol dude, people don't check every board, when I visit GS I'm only visiting this board. The mindset you have on this not only makes very little sense, but would be damn near impossible to manage. Beyond that, the type of discussion you're going to have will vary greatly depending on the board.

If a topic is relevant to the board in question, then it belongs. Simple as that.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#48 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@mr_huggles_dog: Seeing how shitty their return policy is, then yeah. It's not that surprising

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By JangoWuzHere

@foxhound_fox said:

@JangoWuzHere said:

Oh wait.

Most non-early access games don't have serious issues on launch (assuming they aren't from shit companies). And those early access games have a disclaimer stating they are in an early, incomplete stage.

You are basically blaming VALVe for people unable to do research and be smart consumers. Steam has reviews, community discussion and everything a savvy consumer needs to make a smart purchasing decision.

I'm not talking about early access titles. Many PC games launch broken or busted for a good amount of people. The game can work completely fine for one person, but it could be totally busted for someone else. That has always been one of the major flaws with PC gaming. Developers can't examine all the varying possibilities with both hardware and software. Of course, some games just launch straight up broken on PC. That happens far more then console releases.

I wasn't blaming Valve for anything. I was just pointing out that people use Steam support to complain about broken games, not because they disliked them.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#50  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44552 Posts

I had a cousin and his Steam account got hacked, and charges made against it. Last I heard Valve still hasn't resolved it.

But, you know, Valve cares about the gamers, that's why they're working hard on their license free Linux based OS so they don't have to pay MS to have Windows licensed on their Steambox, better that I guess instead of resolving issues like this.

Anyhow, at least Valve acknowledges they have a problem, that's a start. Better that then them acting like nothing is wrong.