Valve Confirms SteamBox

This topic is locked from further discussion.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11792 Posts

Hmm all I got out of it is that it's a Valve branded gaming PC that's been modified a bit

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/12/09/valve-confirms-steam-box-a-very-controlled-pc-for-the-living-room/?mtc=comment-333995#comment-333995

Gabe Newell appears to have confirmed rumours that Valve are working on a Steam Box a hardware package designed to bring the PC right to the living room. Talking to Kotaku on the red carpet at the VGAs, Newell said that the response to Big Picture mode was stronger than expected and that this, combined with the ongoing push into Linux, gave Valve a lot of flexibility when it came to designing their own living room-friendly hardware.

As for a time-frame, Newell said that hed expect these sorts of packages to go on sale next year though it isnt entirely clear if he was talking about Valves own efforts or those of other companies looking to do similar things. Well do it but we also think other people will as well, he said.

From the sounds of things, however, Valves plans for the living room dont entail recreating as open and malleable a system as the PC experience currently is.

Well certainly our hardware will be a very controlled environment, he said, calling Valves offering a turnkey solution. If you want more flexibility, you can always buy a more general purpose PC.

Which begs the question: will the Steam Box be a PC in any meaningful way if it is to be so very controlled?

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

Look down.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#4 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

I believe Valve Confrimed this when they announced Big Picture Mode.

Why else would they have made that feature?

Mr_BillGates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Mr_BillGates
Member since 2005 • 3211 Posts

Good for them. This is Post-PC era afterall. Best thing to do is move away from that dying breed.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#6 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

Good for them. This is Post-PC era afterall. Best thing to do is move away from that dying breed.

Mr_BillGates

PC gaming is dying. lol

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

Mr_BillGates
lol thats called expanding you loony bird
Avatar image for GamingVengeance
GamingVengeance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 GamingVengeance
Member since 2012 • 1874 Posts
old
el3m2tigre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 el3m2tigre
Member since 2007 • 4232 Posts

Imagine the promos Valve can make for TF2 with this :o

ChelGirl86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ChelGirl86
Member since 2012 • 89 Posts
old GamingVengeance
The article is dated for today. lol...
ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts
[QUOTE="NoodleFighter"]

Hmm all I got out of it is that it's a Valve branded gaming PC that's been modified a bit

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/12/09/valve-confirms-steam-box-a-very-controlled-pc-for-the-living-room/?mtc=comment-333995#comment-333995

Gabe Newell appears to have confirmed rumours that Valve are working on a Steam Box a hardware package designed to bring the PC right to the living room. Talking to Kotaku on the red carpet at the VGAs, Newell said that the response to Big Picture mode was stronger than expected and that this, combined with the ongoing push into Linux, gave Valve a lot of flexibility when it came to designing their own living room-friendly hardware.

As for a time-frame, Newell said that hed expect these sorts of packages to go on sale next year though it isnt entirely clear if he was talking about Valves own efforts or those of other companies looking to do similar things. Well do it but we also think other people will as well, he said.

From the sounds of things, however, Valves plans for the living room dont entail recreating as open and malleable a system as the PC experience currently is.

Well certainly our hardware will be a very controlled environment, he said, calling Valves offering a turnkey solution. If you want more flexibility, you can always buy a more general purpose PC.

Which begs the question: will the Steam Box be a PC in any meaningful way if it is to be so very controlled?

Why would a customer buy another desktop PC type device dedicated just for Steam?
Avatar image for GamingVengeance
GamingVengeance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GamingVengeance
Member since 2012 • 1874 Posts
[QUOTE="GamingVengeance"]old ChelGirl86
The article is dated for today. lol...

Exactly We've known of this for hours already
funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
[QUOTE="ronvalencia"][QUOTE="NoodleFighter"]

Why would a customer buy another desktop PC type device dedicated just for Steam?

Because Gabe Newell has such dashing eyes that looks into your soul.  True story.
blackgamer1213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 blackgamer1213
Member since 2008 • 413 Posts

A year or two ago I probably would have said shut up and take my money. But now I'll rather just build a $1000 dollar PC so I can sell my irrelevant abandoned Xbox 360. But, I still like the idea.

Blazerdt47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Blazerdt47
Member since 2004 • 5671 Posts

"Valve Confirms Half-Life 3"

Now that's a topic I would care about.

MaskedPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MaskedPlayer
Member since 2012 • 892 Posts

Blazerdt47
Beat me to it :(
ultraking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ultraking
Member since 2004 • 6904 Posts
meh, I already have a valve box.
Sali217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 Sali217
Member since 2012 • 1301 Posts
It won't sell. Neither will any console without a physical medium. Look at the PSP Go.
AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts
I build my own computers and that's not stopping anytime soon.
R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46233 Posts

[QUOTE="Blazerdt47"]

MaskedPlayer

Beat me to it :(

I'm expecting to see that in 2013, could be I'm just optimistic.

But they released DOTA and CSGO so they're bound to announce their next game sometime:P

ShadowriverUB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ShadowriverUB
Member since 2009 • 5515 Posts
And it's Linux based :) It means Linux will finally will get games.... Gabe Newell you my hero now ^^
R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46233 Posts

Hopefully it'll actually look like a box too. I rather liked gamecubes design:

nintendo_gamecube_desktop_organizer_5.jp

BlbecekBobecek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 BlbecekBobecek
Member since 2006 • 2949 Posts

My bet is:

PC hardware (quite powerful) in a box, custom linux based OS, custom gamepad, custom interface, no physical media, games will be download only, it will be a closed platform (you cant upgrade it, you cant install whatever software you want), the interface wont ever let you glimpse behind it (you wont be able to see the file tree or mess with config files, etc.).

The question is:

Is this a PC or a console :question:

What do you think, system wars?

ShadowriverUB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ShadowriverUB
Member since 2009 • 5515 Posts

My bet is:

PC hardware (quite powerful) in a box, custom linux based OS, custom gamepad, custom interface, no physical media, games will be download only, it will be a closed platform (you cant upgrade it, you cant install whatever software you want), the interface wont ever let you glimpse behind it (you wont be able to see the file tree or mess with config files, etc.).

The question is:

Is this a PC or a console :question:

What do you think, system wars?

BlbecekBobecek
Well in general if you don't like it, you will be able to make your own steam box with linux :p Take any distro, throw away unneeded stuff, make X.org boot with steam in big-picture and you ready to go ^^
Ly_the_Fairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Ly_the_Fairy
Member since 2011 • 8541 Posts

Sounds like a bad idea.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#26 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts
Hopefully they will include a video and a music player into their big picture mode so i dont have to switch applications every time i need to watch a video
TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22662 Posts
[QUOTE="funsohng"][QUOTE="ronvalencia"][QUOTE="NoodleFighter"]

Because Gabe Newell has such dashing eyes that looks into your soul.  True story.

:lol: wow thats scary...
GamerwillzPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 GamerwillzPS
Member since 2012 • 8531 Posts

Good for console gamers who are looking for the opportunity to play on PC, especially those who have no idea how to use a computer.

It isn't for me really. I prefer to have a "general purpose" PC.

Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Rocker6
Member since 2009 • 13358 Posts

I don't know, it'll most likely allow a highly convinent and simplified PC gaming experience for an affordable price, making the PC more popular, which is always good...

But at the same time, it could prove to be a threat to the open-nature of the PC platform, by taking steps towards a closed enviroment. I'll remain skeptical about it, and I definitely don't have any interest in it, as for me, building my own rig is a very important part of the overall PC gaming experience...

burgeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#30 burgeg
Member since 2005 • 3599 Posts

Excellent. We're getting closer. All I want is Steam on a console. Steam deals on a console. If this is priced reasonably and is exactly what it sounds like, I may get it.

Farsendor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Farsendor1
Member since 2012 • 462 Posts

funsohng

looks like gabe could have played as harry potter when he was younger

Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#32 Timstuff
Member since 2002 • 26840 Posts

I remember writing a post a few months back saying that eventually, HTPCs would compete directly with consoles and possibly even replace them. This is the next step towards that-- a PC that has streamlined functionality and a low-cost point. Since the vanilla Steam box will be linux-based, that means there will be no Windows license fee and they will be able to keep the cost low (in addition to likely having a very streamlined manufacturing process with everything soldered directly to the motherboard).

It sounds like Gabe Newell's vision is bigger than just that, though-- he wants to see more expensive, elaborate rigs from other companies that use Windows 8 and bring the full PC gaming experience to the living room, running Windows 8 and Steam. Such rigs already exist to a degree, however they are currently rare, since they either have to be built by the user or they are extremely expensive. If the Steam Box is able to expand that market though, there will be a lot more options available, and prices will go down with the Steam Box likely being the cheapest of the available rigs.

For all intents and purposes, the Steam Box will be "the fourth console." However, it is also a PC, and when second-party "steam boxes" arrive that are full-fledged Windows 8 PCs running Steam, the consoles are going to start looking pitifufully underpowered by comparison in the eyes of the average consumer-- not just int terms of graphics, but also in terms of usefulness.

SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 SKaREO
Member since 2006 • 3161 Posts

Mr_BillGates
They're decentralizing the console scrubs, sort of like the holocaust.
lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 lowe0
Member since 2004 • 13692 Posts

[QUOTE="Mr_BillGates"]

SKaREO

They're decentralizing the console scrubs, sort of like the holocaust.

Such a warm welcome for potential converts. :roll:

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

[QUOTE="funsohng"][QUOTE="ronvalencia"] Why would a customer buy another desktop PC type device dedicated just for Steam?Farsendor1

Does it also mean John Lennon isn't dead? Imagine all the people? Is the world going to explode in less than 2 weeks? Will the Steam box actually kill PC as an open system? Find out when you tune in for the next episode of Soap!

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 k2theswiss

in the article they said it would most likely less open source then your normal computer which sounds to me like they will make it easy for people where they don't have worry about stuff you would have to with a normal pc. This would rope in the idiot consolets who doesn't understand what a driver is but wanted a piece of the pc gaming world...They also pointed out that the normal pc option is still there for the ones who prefer that method.
k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 k2theswiss

[QUOTE="funsohng"][QUOTE="ronvalencia"] Why would a customer buy another desktop PC type device dedicated just for Steam?Farsendor1

MAYBE he is the real harry potter because he sure does work his magic on that steam and his company. No other game company is like valve i know of.
yellonet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 yellonet
Member since 2004 • 7768 Posts

Blazerdt47

They'll anounce it at the release of the SteamBox, as an exclusive title...

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 k2theswiss

[QUOTE="Blazerdt47"]

yellonet

They'll anounce it at the release of the SteamBox, as an exclusive title...

lol. better be for steam all around....
Rockman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Rockman999
Member since 2005 • 7507 Posts

So the Hermit messiah is creating a console?

Ouch.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 lundy86_4

Ouch.

Rockman999

PC with a console environment. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Steam overlay for Windows, but full Windows functionality.

fueled-system

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 fueled-system
Member since 2008 • 6529 Posts
Might flop bigger then the vita
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 lundy86_4

Might flop bigger then the vitafueled-system

Might be more popular than the Wii.

osirisx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 osirisx3
Member since 2012 • 2113 Posts
Why would anyone buy this? Just build your own will be cheaper.
Jonwh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Jonwh18
Member since 2009 • 9350 Posts

will get. No doubt it will be simipler then a

PC but play ulitplats better then a microsoft console. Better multiplats better inidie offerings, and ovbiously the best online experience apart from a full blown PC

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 lundy86_4

Why would anyone buy this? Just build your own will be cheaper.osirisx3

For the reasons Gabe has outlined... They want to address a more "console" experience, and the PC is pretty anti-console experience, for the most part. It can be made to be, but how about a straight-to-market solution?

This could also be a great HTPC solution... Combined with other software...

My HTPC solution:

screenshot001uf.png

screenshot003sy.png

screenshot002qr.png

This software updates all poster and background images for my shows as it reads the shows from a specified folder. It grabs the images from specific websites. Absolutely brilliant, and largely hands-off.

My PC is also set to boot straight into this.

osirisx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 osirisx3
Member since 2012 • 2113 Posts

[QUOTE="osirisx3"]Why would anyone buy this? Just build your own will be cheaper.lundy86_4

For the reasons Gabe has outlined... They want to address a more "console" experience, and the PC is pretty anti-console experience, for the most part. It can be made to be, but how about a straight-to-market solution?

This could also be a great HTPC solution... Combined with other software...

My HTPC solution:

Console experience on pc lol wont work sorry they are two different beasts all together. Omg it has a overlay and a controller stop the presses!
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 lundy86_4

Console experience on pc lol wont work sorry they are two different beasts all together. Omg it has a overlay and a controller stop the presses!osirisx3

See:

1. Controller integration
  2. Steam "Big Picture" mode.
  3. Multiple HTPC solutions... One is shown above.
  4. HTPC form factors cloer to that of consoles for smaller cases.

You realize that PC/HTPC/Living room solutions are becoming drastically more popular, right? As noted by the increase in HTPC case production and Steam's push to bring Big Picture mode.

Hell, this is exactly what Gabe is addressing, and he's drastically more educated on market shifts in the PC market.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 k2theswiss

Ouch.

Rockman999
console= one or the high way pc= you choose what you want to spend and you get what u get...