Valve = best developer of gen 7

• 121 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Edited by osirisx3 (1702 posts) -

half life sucks

why that boring game is rated so highly by hermits is mind boggling to me

#52 Posted by MonsieurX (28708 posts) -

@Pffrbt: three AAA games. One AA. Two titles being the most awarded games of gen 7. Cry more, please.

*Two AA,Two AAA

Get your facts straight and stop lying

#53 Posted by SummerParadise (160 posts) -

/THREAD

#54 Posted by MonsieurX (28708 posts) -
#55 Edited by The_Last_Ride (69063 posts) -

Last of Us is still the most awarded game ever though

#56 Edited by XboxDone74 (2047 posts) -

@MonsieurX: cry more. How's about getting a pc goty first before contributing. Now back to your begging, and getting bitch slapped by Naughty Dog.

#57 Posted by MonsieurX (28708 posts) -

@MonsieurX: cry more. How's about getting a pc goty first before contributing. Now back to your begging, and getting bitch slapped by Naughty Dog.

Someone's mad that his lies got spotted.

2 AA,2 AAA

Deal with it(and it seems you can't)

#58 Posted by XboxDone74 (2047 posts) -

@MonsieurX: 3 AAA one AA

Most awarded last gen.

Stick with your shit pc platform. No goty games. 90% of which can run on calculators.

Keep on beggin for them console games. B-)

Now, answer the question, butthurt boy.

#59 Edited by MonsieurX (28708 posts) -

Most awarded last gen.

Stick with your shit pc platform. No goty games. 90% of which can run on calculators.

Uncharted and TLOU are AA

Uncharted 2 and 3 are AAA

dem tears

#60 Posted by The_Last_Ride (69063 posts) -

@xboxdone74 said:

Most awarded last gen.

Uncharted and TLOU are AA

Uncharted 2 and 3 are AAA

dem tears

still doesn't change the fact TLoU did better last year and better than any pc game ever. And that game was an exclusive

#61 Posted by XboxDone74 (2047 posts) -

@MonsieurX: fraid not.

Tlou, uc 2-3 AAA

Uc AA

Oh, so sad. How many more years you gonna avoid answering the question? You make herms more pathetic than they already are.

#62 Posted by Sushiglutton (5173 posts) -
#63 Posted by uninspiredcup (6902 posts) -

My friend, it's unanimous. Valve are the best.

#64 Posted by The_Last_Ride (69063 posts) -

/THREAD

Little Big Planet 95

Metal Gear Solid 4 94

God of War 3

Journey 92

Little Big Planet 2 91

If anything Sony is the best publisher compared to Valve

#65 Edited by uninspiredcup (6902 posts) -
@The_Last_Ride said:

@summerparadise said:

/THREAD

Little Big Planet 95

Metal Gear Solid 4 94

God of War 3

Journey 92

Little Big Planet 2 91

My friend, even when you attempt to cheat by stacking 6 developers against 1 (highlighting desperation), Valve revolutionized digital distribution and own steam. They publish practically all pc games. Sadly, you have failed again, as pc gaming is superior, designed for sophisticated minds,

It's worth noting as well, every pc game ships with a game and a level maker. Your Little Mario I Wants To Be game is laughable to someone on the pc. Such is the power.

#66 Edited by The_Last_Ride (69063 posts) -

@The_Last_Ride said:

@summerparadise said:

/THREAD

Little Big Planet 95

Metal Gear Solid 4 94

God of War 3

Journey 92

Little Big Planet 2 91

My friend, even when you attempt to cheat by stacking 6 developers against 1 (highlighting desperation), Valve revolutionized digital distribution and own steam. They publish practically all pc games. Sadly, you have failed again, as pc gaming is superior, designed for sophisticated minds,

It's worth noting as well, every pc game ships with a game and a level maker. Your Little Mario I Wants To Be game is laughable to someone on the pc. Such is the power.

and he's cheating aswell, saying that Valve is the best developer of gen 7, yet only few of them were realesed during it... Then why do games sell better on consoles? Why do consoles sell in the millions? Because people want the experience and don't pirate it

#67 Posted by edwardecl (1790 posts) -

The last great game Valve made was Half-Life 2, the engine was awesome and the game itself was really good. Sure they probably put out quality games since such as portal, but nothing that really pushes both game play and story together with an engine which really pushes the platform it's running on at the time of release.

Naughty Dog really do win, they push the visuals that are achieved very low end hardware to the absolute limits together with gameplay and story which works very well just as good if not better in some ways than half-life did, can you even imagine if they took the time and effort into making a PC/PS4 game what the result would be. Valve could regain that if the decide to release Half-Life 3 together with a brilliant engine that puts all the others to shame on performance/quality.

Don't get me wrong, PC games obviously perform and look better than any PS3 game but you have to take into consideration with what they have to work with then you can appreciate the technical achievements. PC developers having been slipping a bit in previous years and being lazy with regards to optimisation and just banking on new and powerful hardware coming out to make their game look and perform well.

#68 Posted by coasterguy65 (5737 posts) -

Valve and Blizzard are some of the most reliable developers out there. Consistent producers of quality games. Of course since most of the posters on this forum are Sony lapdogs you will get person after person claiming Naughty Dog to be the best developer.

#69 Edited by uninspiredcup (6902 posts) -

@edwardecl said:

The last great game Valve made was Half-Life 2

My friend, dota 2, 90 metacritic. One of the most played multiplayer games in the world.

This is the actual actually real reality, not your apparent Lord Of The Rings magic magical land.

#70 Posted by edwardecl (1790 posts) -

Valve and Blizzard are some of the most reliable developers out there. Consistent producers of quality games. Of course since most of the posters on this forum are Sony lapdogs you will get person after person claiming Naughty Dog to be the best developer.

I think people make the comparison between Valve and Naughty Dog because they both make story driven games that are very comparable in their presentation. Even if we strip away the engines, optimisations and raw graphics power of the machines they run on, Naughty Dog still offer really good stories, characters and overall feel in their games.

#71 Edited by uninspiredcup (6902 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:
@The_Last_Ride said:

@summerparadise said:

/THREAD

Little Big Planet 95

Metal Gear Solid 4 94

God of War 3

Journey 92

Little Big Planet 2 91

and he's cheating aswell, saying that Valve is the best developer of gen 7, yet only few of them were realesed during it... Then why do games sell better on consoles? Why do consoles sell in the millions? Because people want the experience and don't pirate it

My freind, lets have a reality check.

Naughty Dog

Third person movie game 1

Third person movie game 2

Valve

Left4dead (best coop game)

Dota 2 (best strategy game)

Team Fortress 2 (best team game)

Portal (best new IP)

Portal 2 (best puzzle game)

Episode 2 (best expansion pack)

Really, it's not a contest even using your cheap tactic of attempting to claim pc has "gens". A very disappointing copout from someone angry at Valve winning. Sonny, I made a poll, everyone agreed.

#72 Posted by The_Last_Ride (69063 posts) -

@The_Last_Ride said:

@uninspiredcup said:
@The_Last_Ride said:

@summerparadise said:

/THREAD

Little Big Planet 95

Metal Gear Solid 4 94

God of War 3

Journey 92

Little Big Planet 2 91

My freind, lets have a reality check.

Naughty Dog

Third person movie game 1

Third person movie game 2

Valve

Left4dead (best coop game)

Dota 2 (best strategy game)

Team Fortress 2 (best team game)

Portal (best new IP)

Portal 2 (best puzzle game)

Episode 2 (best expansion pack)

Really, it's not a contest even using your cheap tactic of attempting to claim pc has "gens". A very disappointing copout from someone angry at Valve winning. Sonny, I made a poll, everyone agreed.

Last of Us a movie game? LOL...

#73 Posted by Icarian (1462 posts) -

As long as they are not making Half-Life 3 I don't care about them. It's the only Valve franchise that I really liked. Though, it's been so long that even HL 3 probably won't make me give a damn anymore.

All games, except Half-Life, on the list aren't even Valve's original ideas. They were either mods or other projects and Valve saw the talent and bought them and hired the people. Valve has an eye for talent, which is one of their core strengths.

#74 Posted by The_Last_Ride (69063 posts) -

@Icarian said:

As long as they are not making Half-Life 3 I don't care about them. It's the only Valve franchise that I really liked. Though, it's been so long that even HL 3 probably won't make me give a damn anymore.

All games, except Half-Life, on the list aren't even Valve's original ideas. They were either mods or other projects and Valve saw the talent and bought them and hired the people. Valve has an eye for talent, which is one of their core strengths.

Isn't Source a fan made prject?

#75 Posted by jhcho2 (4366 posts) -

@seanmcloughlin said:

Best is subjective, but I will certainly say they are one of the most consistent devs in terms of quality

This

And that alone is highly debatable. Valve appears to be consistent with quality because they aren't challenging themselves to live up to their Half Life legacy. They instead make games that can be well received, but not judged too harshly. Are you seriously gonna say that you'd judge Left for Dead or Portal with the same standards as Grand Theft Auto, Halo or The Last of Us? Valve themselves are afraid that they cannot match the expectations on Half Life 3, and therefore avoided it. This is the very reason why I will never consider Valve to be the best developer. Unlike Valve, Naughty Dog and Rockstar are not afraid of their own legacy.

Valve is like a once acclaimed movie director who moved on to making short films.

#76 Edited by padaporra (3363 posts) -

Half Life.

Valve WON.

Except against Bioware because Mass Effect.

#77 Edited by Jankarcop (8827 posts) -

@Jankarcop said:

@gggoodboy said:

Naughty Dog has been the best developer of this gen and its not even close

OP said games. Not movies.

How many times has a Valve game got goty

Last of Us got an 8.0 and did not win goty here.

If you aren't talking about GS, Portal 1 and 2 won several gotys.

#78 Posted by Ripsaw1994 (84 posts) -

@MBirdy88: Naughty Dog never had a graphics king this gen..

#79 Posted by Ballroompirate (21695 posts) -

@Ballroompirate said:

@Jankarcop said:

@gggoodboy said:

Naughty Dog has been the best developer of this gen and its not even close

OP said games. Not movies.

How many times has a Valve game got goty

Last of Us got an 8.0 and did not win goty here.

If you aren't talking about GS, Portal 1 and 2 won several gotys.

If we're talking about GS exclusively nether Naughty Gods nor Valve have won a goty (Nintendo has the most). Outside of GS Uncharted 2 and TLOU have over 400 goty awards combined.

#80 Posted by jg4xchamp (46675 posts) -

Sure.

I know the go to knock is "they don't make their own shit, they pick up someone else's shit and make it". But that resulted in the best MP shooter of the gen in Team Fortress 2, the terrific Portal and a pretty good sequel(where as Kim Swift's solo effort, sucks), and Episode 2 is like what if Half Life 2 was actually good. Plus Dota 2 on depth of gameplay alone demands respect. Yeah sure why not? They also have no real stinker on their resume the way Naughty Dog does(Uncharted 1) or Rockstar(being Rockstar) or any of these other triple A studios people swear by.

They didn't make my favorite games by any mean(From Software, Platinum, John Blow in that regard), but their resume was superb this gen. So sure I can buy that argument that Valve was best. Not necessarily my pick, but it's not a ridiculous pick either.

#81 Posted by SexyJazzCat (877 posts) -

They made TF2, so yea.

#82 Posted by treedoor (7478 posts) -

Sure.

I know the go to knock is "they don't make their own shit, they pick up someone else's shit and make it". But that resulted in the best MP shooter of the gen in Team Fortress 2, the terrific Portal and a pretty good sequel(where as Kim Swift's solo effort, sucks), and Episode 2 is like what if Half Life 2 was actually good. Plus Dota 2 on depth of gameplay alone demands respect. Yeah sure why not? They also have no real stinker on their resume the way Naughty Dog does(Uncharted 1) or Rockstar(being Rockstar) or any of these other triple A studios people swear by.

I agree that HL2:Ep2 is the best of the three parts (HL3 confirmed), but I'm not so sure I'd go so far as to say that Ep2 is what HL2 would be if it were good. It's not that much better.

I like all the Half Life games, but last year I played through HL1, Blue Shift, Opposing Force, and Half Life 2, Ep1, and Ep2 back to back to back, and it's an eye opener on how much better the first game is.

To me they're all awesome, but the first three games are just phenomenal. More surprising is that Gearbox developed the two expansions.

Valve just needs to work on pacing. HL1 felt perfect all the way through, but in HL2 some parts dragged on too long (ant lions), and others left you wishing the whole game was that good (Ravenholm).

#83 Edited by Pffrbt (6367 posts) -

@Pffrbt: three AAA games. One AA. Two titles being the most awarded games of gen 7.

Their games have been mediocre at best, and downright awful at worst. High production values alone do not make a good game. Especially when the gameplay is horrendously boring.

#84 Edited by speedfog (2865 posts) -

@MBirdy88 said:

lol you think this forum will vote valve? they'l vote 10 hour movie games with outdated gameplay like Naughtydog. if this was "best graphics studio" then I would agree with them.... but sadly in the console work mcdonald style corridor convenience games top the chart.

Meanwhile the 700k people at peak playing DoTA 2 with its many esport events speaks of a different reality.

this

#85 Edited by speedfog (2865 posts) -

How many games were Valve themselfes responsible for creating and developing?

Gotta remember Valve PUBLISHES.

They were not the DEVELOPER to many of those games nor were they responsible for creating most of the ideas to their "games" etc

The correct answer is Naughty Dog!

Naughty Dog with Uncharted 2 redefined this generation

Then Naughty Dog threw that all away to create a dramatically different new IP in the Last of Us. Its a timeless masterpiece that will likely go on to redefine survival horror...

Most developers dont even come close to creating one all time classic through out their entire life span

Naughty Dog just created TWO all time classic in one generation....and Naughty Dog is still in their PRIMES and only getting better

Naughty Dog is so far ahead of the pact, its not even funny

Hell, I wouldnt just call Naughty Dog the BEST DEVELOPER of this past gen.

I would call Naughty Dog THE best devoloper gaming has ever seen period, and I dont care if it sounds like hyperbole to some

Im working with reality here

Who else has created 2 NEW IPS in one gen that have BOTH scored a 96 on MC and over a 90 in user reviews?

Many considered Uncharted 2 the best game of this gen,

Now everyone who has played Last of Us pretty much unanimously considers the Last of Us the best game of this gen,

Many of those people even saying that the Last of Us IS the best game they have played of all time

Both Uncharted 2 and Last of Us will be timeless classics that redefined their genre, and Naughty Dog is responsible for creating both and developing both

Thats unreal!

Show me another developer with those accolades IN ONE gen

-Creating 2 NEW dramatically different IPS which are both the best games of that gen like Naughty Dog just did with Uncharted 2 and Last of Us

Then beyond that, Naughty Dog is also responsible for creating the Crash and Jak & Daxter classics

Literally EVERYTHING Naughty Dog has created has been a classic...and every one of their classic and iconic franchises ARE DRAMITCALLY different to one another

Show me another developer who is that consistent and that versatile

Developers like Rockstar are one trick ponies(open world games in the vein of GTA) and even then Rockstar and Valve have put out some sh!tty games

Where as Naughty Dog is MONEY ALL the time and picks what ever new genre they want to tackle and then they pretty much redefine that genre

Naughty Dog always tests themselfes with somehing new, rises to the occasion, and grows as a developer because of that .

All things considered, accolades, resume of work, reputation etc ...Naughty Dog is the greatest developer gaming has ever seen bar none

We have NEVER seen a developer like Naughty Dog. Naughty Dog is special. Naughty Dog is brilliant. The fact we get to play Naughty Dog's master peices. WE are like the people who had the pleasure of seeing Ali fight in his prime. No one puts as much love, care, and vast attention to detail into their games as much as Naughty Dog puts into their games for us. Thats why we should love Naughty Dog even more.

Naughty Dog also has the 100% support, love and backing of Sony. Sony always lets Naughty Dog do their thing and flex their crative muscle and that is a beautiful thing....

No

@MBirdy88 said:

lol you think this forum will vote valve? they'l vote 10 hour movie games with outdated gameplay like Naughtydog. if this was "best graphics studio" then I would agree with them.... but sadly in the console work mcdonald style corridor convenience games top the chart.

Meanwhile the 700k people at peak playing DoTA 2 with its many esport events speaks of a different reality.

this

#86 Edited by BiggChonies882 (48 posts) -

1. Naughty Dog.

2. Naughty Dog.

3. Naughty Dog.

#87 Posted by AzatiS (6995 posts) -

@drekula2 said:
  • Half-Life 2 Episode 2
  • Portal
  • Team Fortress 2
  • Left 4 Dead
  • Left 4 Dead 2
  • Portal 2
  • Counter-Strike: G.O.
  • Dota 2

All for a company that doesn't make games. Not bad.

Except CS:GO and Portal i dont think they made anything THAT good in order to be the best developers for gen 7. Far from it imho and this coming from a PC gamer that i played every single game you mentioned. Not bad but far from great imho. All im waiting is HL3.

#88 Posted by millerlight89 (18338 posts) -

@speedfog said:

@MBirdy88 said:

this

CoD has a shit ton of players and esport events, does this make (Insert CoD Dev here) the best developer? No. Popular does not mean best.

#89 Edited by Jankarcop (8827 posts) -

@speedfog said:

@MBirdy88 said:

this

CoD has a shit ton of players and esport events, does this make (Insert CoD Dev here) the best developer? No. Popular does not mean best.

But DOTA2 actually has a high skill-cap and isn't seen as a joke....

#90 Posted by millerlight89 (18338 posts) -

@millerlight89 said:

@speedfog said:

@MBirdy88 said:

this

But DOTA2 actually has a high skill-cap and isn't seen as a joke....

A high skill cap mean what when it comes to quality? Nothing. Many see CoD as not a joke, so that was pointless.

#91 Edited by MBirdy88 (7177 posts) -

@millerlight89 oh the preferences card... last bastion of hope for losing arguements.

If you want to play it that way, I would consider a 10 hour movie want to be game like Last of US 10x the joke that CoD ever was. but that isn't the point is it.

CoD is on every system. League of Legends is well over a million peak users. and is exclusive. so is DoTA. Counter-strike has 120k, TF2 even manages over 100k.

So you say popularity is not quality? thats a bold claim to make in the multiplayer genre.

#92 Edited by Jankarcop (8827 posts) -

Valve consistently produce high quality titles some of which DEFINE genres...and others run over a broad spectrum of genres....which 100,000's of thousands if not millions concurrently play to this day. That kind of retention of players speaks a lot.

• Multiple Genres
  • All high scoring
  • Played by millions to this day
  • E-Sport domination

ND in contrast have produced 2 very good scoring interactive-movies...all in the same exact genre that are barely played months after release because they are essentially just movies.

• Win a GOTY due to popularity and movie like appeal. Dat' SPIKETV crowd.

It's a large win for Valve. I would put even Blizzard ahead of ND, not sure why ND is even being mentioned in this thread there are far better contenders.

#93 Posted by Priapus10101 (63 posts) -

@jhcho2 said:

@megaspiderweb09 said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

Best is subjective, but I will certainly say they are one of the most consistent devs in terms of quality

This

And that alone is highly debatable. Valve appears to be consistent with quality because they aren't challenging themselves to live up to their Half Life legacy. They instead make games that can be well received, but not judged too harshly. Are you seriously gonna say that you'd judge Left for Dead or Portal with the same standards as Grand Theft Auto, Halo or The Last of Us? Valve themselves are afraid that they cannot match the expectations on Half Life 3, and therefore avoided it. This is the very reason why I will never consider Valve to be the best developer. Unlike Valve, Naughty Dog and Rockstar are not afraid of their own legacy.

Valve is like a once acclaimed movie director who moved on to making short films.

On the contrary, Valve are confident they could be successful with Half Life sequels alone however they have shifted their focus to multiplayer games where the market is strongest. See source: IGN Article - Valve's Gabe Newell.

Why make Half Life 3 when they can earn ten fold more from Dota 2 (most played game on Steam).

#94 Posted by AzatiS (6995 posts) -

Sony fanboys says Naughty Dog because they don´t own PC gaming and know nothing about Valve games.

Im a hermit but ill say ND > Valve this gen easily.

Think about it , what kind of games Valve released .

A remake of DOTA which wasnt their IP to begin with , another CS remake ( another IP wasnt theirs to begin with but anyways ) , TF2 that was okish , L4D which was nothing major if you ask me , Portal which was phenomenaly good but yet simplistic then another episode of HL2 nothing major...

Naughty dogs on the other hand....

Valve needs HL3 to amaze me !! Nothing else will soon imho

#95 Edited by millerlight89 (18338 posts) -

@MBirdy88 said:

@millerlight89

So you say popularity is not quality? thats a bold claim to make in the multiplayer genre.

A bold claim? No, it's just not a dumb one, like the one you made. CoD being on several platforms has nothing to do with the point at hand. You are using player base to determine quality, when it doesn't. Super easy to understand. What does The Last of Us have to do with anything. See this is why trying to have a conversation with you or jankadork is pointless. You get challenged on your original point, see you have made a boo-boo, then dance around it with a reply that has nothing to do with, well anything. There is nowhere else for this to go. We will just go in circles. So, reply if you like, but I wont see it.

#96 Posted by XboxDone74 (2047 posts) -

@Pffrbt: good thing the vast , vast majority of the industry, and community, disagree with you.

#97 Posted by Pffrbt (6367 posts) -

@Pffrbt: good thing the vast , vast majority of the industry, and community, disagree with you.

Why is it a good thing to praise mediocrity.

#98 Edited by XboxDone74 (2047 posts) -

@Pffrbt said:

@xboxdone74 said:

Why is it a good thing to praise mediocrity.

Nobody's praising mediocrity. Your jelly blinds you. There's nothing i can do about that.

#99 Edited by Joedgabe (5090 posts) -

I'm gonna get rocks tossed at me but those games were just okay in my book, Dota 2 is probably the better one of those but that wasn't even valve that came up with dota to give them credit for it...

#100 Edited by MonsieurX (28708 posts) -

@MonsieurX: fraid not.

Tlou, uc 2-3 AAA

Uc AA

Oh, so sad. How many more years you gonna avoid answering the question? You make herms more pathetic than they already are.

TLOU and Uncharted scored 8

TLOU lost to Zelda GOTY,how sad :(