Value List(Why you should have a PS3)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SirisKurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 SirisKurt
Member since 2003 • 93 Posts

Its initial price is the biggest turnoff. Mostly because gamers aren't aware of its value. So I had made*Drum roll*

The Value List(All information is out of the box):
PS3 has WiFi. So I didn't have to make an internet connection through my house and to my room.(Costs more than a game)

PS3 can play Hi-Def movies.

PS3 can download movies on the web and to the console. In turn, It makes it a better source than the XBL store. I have plenty of music videos on mine.

PS3 has rechargable controllers(Motion Sensors too) and a cord to recharge it.

PS3 has PSN. Free online gaming. Also is creating Home.

PS3 is Bluetooth and USB compatible. So you can use that old mic for your computer or your phone for gaming online. Even those USB keyboards and mice.

It plays old games.

For the $600-

Compatible with some memory cards. Making it a port for music, photos, and videos. Or even a backup file. Save your games on your computer for more room.

60 Gig Hard Drive.

Compared to 360:Lets just start off with accessories to make it somewhat like PS3($600) out of the box(Using BestBuy.com with a search for official Microsoft products)

You're at least going to play this thing for 2 year. So +$100 for XBL(Plus 2 months because apparently microsoft feels special right now)

Rechargable controller +$32 (+$12*# of extra controllers)

If you have a wireless mic for PS3 +$60

If you want a wireless connection, +$100

If you want HD-DVD, +$200

Prices go to $300,$400, or $480 for 360

The accessories alone add up to $432 without a mic.

With most functionality-

$732 for no HDD

$832 for 40 Gigs less than PS3

$912 for 60 Gigs more than PS3

The Gigs are a bit ridiculous. But for $770 I can buy a PS3 and a SATA HDD for PS3 with 160 Gigs.

Cheap Gaming goes to 360 for the $300 model, but PS3 can have a lot more value. It depends on what you want.

Due to complaints:

For the record, I have both a PS3 and a 360.
With all the exclusives becoming a PS3 and 360 game, I really don't care.But for you...360 top 10
1.Oblivion-On PS3 now
2.Gears-Resistance(I actually enjoyed Resistance more)
3.GRAW-was missed due to late PS3 release. 2nd one is due out later.
4-Rainbow6 Vegas-Due out on PS3 this month
5-Pefect Dark
6-Guitar Hero2-...I don't feel impressed because it was on PS2
7-Project Gotham Racing 3-Motorstorm, Ridge Racer
8-CoD2- CoD3 was released for PS3 on launch
9-DoA4-Virtua Fighter 5 is a temporary exclusive.Tekken 6  is comming. Tekken 5 is available for a $20 download.
10-Burnout Revenge-was missed due to late PS3 release.Burnout 5 is due out on 360 and PS3. Motorstorm is also an arcadish racing game.

In other words, your almighty 360 is mostly running on multi-platform games.

SergeantSnitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 SergeantSnitch
Member since 2007 • 3692 Posts
It's a decent system, it just needs games.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
  • Bluray player
Avatar image for Bluestorm-Kalas
Bluestorm-Kalas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Bluestorm-Kalas
Member since 2006 • 13073 Posts
Yet, in that list, you stated no games.  Isn't games the main reason of a video game console?
whoisryanmack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 whoisryanmack
Member since 2006 • 7675 Posts
Yet, in that list, you stated no games.  Isn't games the main reason of a video game console?Bluestorm-Kalas
officially a "multimedia entertainment system". games just isnt one of those media.
Slyprince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Slyprince
Member since 2004 • 1315 Posts
OMG...not only do you cows wanna beat a dead horse you wanna pistol whip it into the ground too. How many times do we have to say $600 cost more than $400 If I just wanna play games If you wanna do all that just buy a computer
Hoffgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 Hoffgod
Member since 2006 • 12229 Posts
Value List (Why I should not have a PS3) - Price: Sugar coat it all you want, $600 is a big investment for a video game console/multimedia center/whatever, especially for someone like me who is a college student. That's two semesters worth of books. - I don't own a HDTV - The only game that really interests me is MGS 4 and that almost certainly won't be out until 2008. - I can always just play the PS3 in the Student Center. The lesson? Value is not an absolute. $600 for the PS3 is a value to you. $600 for the PS3 is rediculous to me.
TheNIM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#8 TheNIM
Member since 2006 • 312 Posts
PS3 has WiFi. So I didn't have to make an internet connection through my house and to my room.(Costs more than a game)

SirisKurt

Don't need nor do I want WiFi at this point. I live in an apartment complex where I bet 33% of the people have free cable and I know a few who use other people wifi networks. Sure you can password protect it, but why do i need wifi? I am not networking 5 different things together and my video game systems and computers are all along the same wall. And the ONLY difference in "high def" movies is the blu-ray player, which isn't a common technology yet so NOTHING IS GEARD TOWARDS IT!

PS3 can download movies on the web and to the console. In turn, It makes it a better source than the XBL store. I have plenty of music videos on mine.

SirisKurt

better? Examples.... XBL destroys Sony's online everything. Not even a comparison here. Why do you want to play music video's through your gaming console anyway?

SirisKurt

Xbox has a rechargable battery pack or you can buy rechargeable batteries if you are that cheap. Plus Sony came up lame with the bluetooth.

SirisKurt

PSN NEEDS to be free because it isn't deep enough and the servers need improving big time. The quality and consistency of PSN isn't even a quarter of what XBL provides.

PS3 is Bluetooth and USB compatible. So you can use that old mic for your computer or your phone for gaming online. Even those USB keyboards and mice.

SirisKurt

I don't use my computer for gaming so it doen't matter, however everything you mention, Xbox provides. In fact, the wireless controller is windows compatible.

It plays old games.

SirisKurt

So does the 360 but who cares. I biought the new system so I can play new games.

For the $600-

Compatible with some memory cards. Making it a port for music, photos, and videos. Or even a backup file. Save your games on your computer for more room.

60 Gig Hard Drive.

Compared to 360:Lets just start off with accessories to make it somewhat like PS3($600) out of the box(Using BestBuy.com with a search for official Microsoft products)

You're at least going to play this thing for 2 year. So +$100 for XBL(Plus 2 months because apparently microsoft feels special right now)

Rechargable controller +$32

If you have a mic for PS3 available +$20 for wired or +$60 for wireless

With most functionality-

$732 for no HDD

The Gigs are a bit ridiculous. But for $770 I can buy a PS3 and a SATA HDD for PS3 with 160 Gigs.

Cheap Gaming goes to 360 for the $300 model, but PS3 can have a lot more value. It depends on what you want.

SirisKurt

That's great for a person who needs it but do a side by side of the games that the consoles share and please explain why 3/4 are better on the 360? Please tell the average gamer who uses his console for games and xbox live and nothing else why they should spend an extra $200 getting bells and whistles that are 5 years away from being the norm? By then, Microsoft will have their next system out.

I love how people want to push the same reasons down peoples throats. I remember when the original XBOX came out and everyone was trying to justify the xbox as being better than the PS2 and it made me laugh. The same thing in this scenario. Excep this time the companies have flip flopped. I owned a PS3 for about 3 weeks... sent it back in, got it replaced. Even when working properly, frame rate issues and less-quality gameplay provides you with a weaker experience no matterhow much "potential" a system has. The PS3 is this generations sega saturn.
TheNIM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TheNIM
[QUOTE="Bluestorm-Kalas"]Yet, in that list, you stated no games. Isn't games the main reason of a video game console?whoisryanmack
officially a "multimedia entertainment system". games just isnt one of those media.

Another way of saying, "we know the games suck, but we have tons of other useless crap no one needs".
Avatar image for Hammerofjustice
Hammerofjustice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Hammerofjustice
Member since 2006 • 2685 Posts
[QUOTE="SirisKurt"]PS3 has WiFi. So I didn't have to make an internet connection through my house and to my room.(Costs more than a game)

TheNIM

Don't need nor do I want WiFi at this point. I live in an apartment complex where I bet 33% of the people have free cable and I know a few who use other people wifi networks. Sure you can password protect it, but why do i need wifi? I am not networking 5 different things together and my video game systems and computers are all along the same wall. And the ONLY difference in "high def" movies is the blu-ray player, which isn't a common technology yet so NOTHING IS GEARD TOWARDS IT!

PS3 can download movies on the web and to the console. In turn, It makes it a better source than the XBL store. I have plenty of music videos on mine.

SirisKurt

better? Examples.... XBL destroys Sony's online everything. Not even a comparison here. Why do you want to play music video's through your gaming console anyway?

SirisKurt

Xbox has a rechargable battery pack or you can buy rechargeable batteries if you are that cheap. Plus Sony came up lame with the bluetooth.

SirisKurt

PSN NEEDS to be free because it isn't deep enough and the servers need improving big time. The quality and consistency of PSN isn't even a quarter of what XBL provides.

SirisKurt

I don't use my computer for gaming so it doen't matter, however everything you mention, Xbox provides. In fact, the wireless controller is windows compatible.

It plays old games.

SirisKurt

So does the 360 but who cares. I biought the new system so I can play new games.

For the $600-

60 Gig Hard Drive.

You're at least going to play this thing for 2 year. So +$100 for XBL(Plus 2 months because apparently microsoft feels special right now)

With most functionality-

$732 for no HDD

SirisKurt

That's great for a person who needs it but do a side by side of the games that the consoles share and please explain why 3/4 are better on the 360? Please tell the average gamer who uses his console for games and xbox live and nothing else why they should spend an extra $200 getting bells and whistles that are 5 years away from being the norm? By then, Microsoft will have their next system out.

I love how people want to push the same reasons down peoples throats. I remember when the original XBOX came out and everyone was trying to justify the xbox as being better than the PS2 and it made me laugh. The same thing in this scenario. Excep this time the companies have flip flopped. I owned a PS3 for about 3 weeks... sent it back in, got it replaced. Even when working properly, frame rate issues and less-quality gameplay provides you with a weaker experience no matterhow much "potential" a system has. The PS3 is this generations sega saturn.

major damage control here. Why do you need to buy everything extra just to get an experience similar to the ps3? example:"Xbox has a rechargable battery pack or you can buy rechargeable batteries"
TheNIM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 TheNIM
[QUOTE="TheNIM"][QUOTE="SirisKurt"]PS3 has WiFi. So I didn't have to make an internet connection through my house and to my room.(Costs more than a game)

Hammerofjustice

SirisKurt

SirisKurt

SirisKurt

SirisKurt

It plays old games.

SirisKurt

For the $600-

60 Gig Hard Drive.

With most functionality-

$732 for no HDD

SirisKurt

major damage control here. Why do you need to buy everything extra just to get an experience similar to the ps3? example:"Xbox has a rechargable battery pack or you can buy rechargeable batteries"

LMAO on how people ONLY pick that example out. Good baterries that cost $10 are more valuable than a controller with a crappy blue-tooth system that fails consistently to stay connected. Plus the six-axis tilt function is just lame.
Puckhog04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Puckhog04
Member since 2003 • 22814 Posts

Xbox 360 = $400/Has great games out and in the future.

PS3 = $600/Great looking games in the future and one worthwhile game right now (Resistance).

That's what it boils down to.

mikeiscool98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 mikeiscool98
Member since 2004 • 133 Posts
Your guide is wrong. You added the cost of a controller to the 360, even though it comes with one, just like Ps3. You added the cost of a mic, even though it comes with one. The Ps3 is only a better value if you want an HD movie format. XBL live makes up for the added cost by being better than PSN. And as everyone has said, 360 has way better games.
Avatar image for LanceUppercut77
LanceUppercut77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 LanceUppercut77
Member since 2007 • 169 Posts

I don't want an Hd movie player, a freakishly large hard drive, Home, downloadable demos, or anything like that. Extras are great, as long as they don't jack up the price. As a gamer, I want to play games. I want to pay for the ability to play and save PS3, PS2, and PS1 games. That's all. Those extras mean nothing to me because I don't want them. I want to play games. If the PS3 released without Blu Ray and with a 20G hard drive, I would buy it. The most I will pay for a PS3 is 200$. I want one, but I do not believe it is woth more than the Wii I already have based on games and games alone.

SirisKurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SirisKurt

Some of you seriously need to comprehend everything. I'm not bashing anything because I have the money to get both. I left the options open for whatever you wanted to get. If you want the $300 360, then get it. For me, the $600 PS3 has more value and more games that I am looking forward to than my 360 has given me.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 foxhound_fox

Some of you seriously need to comprehend everything. I'm not bashing anything because I have the money to get both. I left the options open for whatever you wanted to get. If you want the $300 360, then get it. For me, the $600 PS3 has more value and more games that I am looking forward to than my 360 has given me.

SirisKurt

But you never mentioned any games... :?
SirisKurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SirisKurt

Your guide is wrong. You added the cost of a controller to the 360, even though it comes with one, just like Ps3. You added the cost of a mic, even though it comes with one.mikeiscool98

I didn't add another controller and I forgot about the 360 mic because my crappy one broke :-P

Might I add that PS3 has had a 1 year warranty from the start.

mikeiscool98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 mikeiscool98
Member since 2004 • 133 Posts

SirisKurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SirisKurt
br />
But you never mentioned any games... :?foxhound_fox
Games are different for everyone buddy. Go look for yourself. There are some really unique ones. Some of them might crash pretty bad, but there are 2 more where that came from.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 foxhound_fox
Games are different for everyone buddy. Go look for yourself. There are some really unique ones. Some of them might crash pretty bad, but there are 2 more where that came from.SirisKurt

Wait... what? Please elaborate.
SirisKurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SirisKurt
Fox...PS3 has a handful of exclusives. I can't just name Motorstorm. You might not like racing games. Get it?
RickLemieux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 RickLemieux
Member since 2003 • 517 Posts

[QUOTE="mikeiscool98"]Your guide is wrong. You added the cost of a controller to the 360, even though it comes with one, just like Ps3. You added the cost of a mic, even though it comes with one.SirisKurt

I didn't add another controller and I forgot about the 360 mic because my crappy one broke :-P

Might I add that PS3 has had a 1 year warranty from the start.

You should really take care of your things.  I've had my 360 mic since April 2006 and have not had any problems.

SirisKurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SirisKurt
No matter. I changed it and it did not affect the last results.
topps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 topps
Member since 2002 • 319 Posts
you can play video's/music on your computer with the xbox 360, i do it all the time, it just has to be in WMA format and placed in the My Video's folder of the computer. Or if you have Window's Media Center, you can play anything that plays.
arm9218

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 arm9218
Member since 2007 • 503 Posts
[QUOTE="TheNIM"][QUOTE="SirisKurt"]PS3 has WiFi. So I didn't have to make an internet connection through my house and to my room.(Costs more than a game)

Hammerofjustice

SirisKurt

SirisKurt

SirisKurt

SirisKurt

It plays old games.

SirisKurt

For the $600-

60 Gig Hard Drive.

With most functionality-

$732 for no HDD

SirisKurt

major damage control here.

Why do you need to buy everything extra just to get an experience similar to the ps3? example:"Xbox has a rechargable battery pack or you can buy rechargeable batteries"

and the fact u have to buy the HD DVD, extra memory. Siriskurts just trying to get the point acrossed that the PS3 will be a better value for u in the long run, lol once the games actually come out.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#26 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

Lack of games I want to play kills any value listed for the PS3 over the 360 for me.

I don't need HD movies, but if I want them I can DL them from the marketplace.

I don't need wireless. My house is completely wired with cat 5 which is better than wireless anyway.

I'm more interested in games for my console than a whole lot of bells and whistles. Eventually the PS3 will get there and I will buy one. Until then these value threads need to stop.

There is nothing more valuable to a console than it's games. Nothing. 

squirrel337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 squirrel337
Member since 2007 • 1002 Posts
  • Bluray player

foxhound_fox

It also plays game

http://djkev.com/Pics/SonyBluRay.jpg

Eltroz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Eltroz
Member since 2007 • 5238 Posts
It cracks me up how everytime PS3 owners talk about their game system all they can talk about is their movie player and not games. I mean really this is not movie wars.When has their been a bunch of threads like these? " POLL: Texas Chainsaw Vs. Grudge" " babal ftw" "Departed screenshots (56k warning)" They do not happen cause these are GAME systems that we all bought. And fact of the matter is 360 has by far best line up. Pretty much best line up for any systems in years. Heck when PS3 has so few good games the cows always have to throw in home and that is not even a game. Or LBP woohoo a map creator or Afrika woohoo you can take pics of animals
SirisKurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 SirisKurt

you can play video's/music on your computer with the xbox 360, i do it all the time, it just has to be in WMA format and placed in the My Video's folder of the computer. Or if you have Window's Media Center, you can play anything that plays.topps

But you have to have that software.

It cracks me up how everytime PS3 owners talk about their game system all they can talk about is their movie player and not games. I mean really this is not movie wars.When has their been a bunch of threads like these? " POLL: Texas Chainsaw Vs. Grudge" " babal ftw" "Departed screenshots (56k warning)" They do not happen cause these are GAME systems that we all bought. And fact of the matter is 360 has by far best line up. Pretty much best line up for any systems in years. Heck when PS3 has so few good games the cows always have to throw in home and that is not even a game. Or LBP woohoo a map creator or Afrika woohoo you can take pics of animalsEltroz

You guys don't even look at the PS3 games. So why should I even bother with listing them? You can't name even 5 of them off the top of your head. If you could name only one, it would be MGS. Not everyone likes the same games anyone. PS2 has had more than twice the amount of games that XBox had.

Heretix-I'm pretty sure that wiring your house with Cat 5's costs more and takes a lot more time than a wireless set up. As for the games, I'm content with MotorStorm, Resistance, Tekken 5, Armored Core 4, Oblivion, and Marvel:UA.

All I'm really trying to say is that my $600 PS3 was worth it. I use it completely. I wasn't a waste of money whatsoever.