UPDATED: What console has the best upcoming exclusives?

• 169 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

Poll UPDATED: What console has the best upcoming exclusives? (153 votes)

Xbox One 23%
PS4 31%
Wii U 46%

XBOX ONE:

PLAYSTATION 4:

WII U:

I think that's a fairly representative list of all the upcoming big exclusives on each of the three consoles.

Please note I am not using the System Wars metagame definition of 'exclusive' for the purposes of this thread. For this thread, if a game is available on one of these three consoles, but not the other two ones, it is an exclusive.

Which of the three consoles do you think has the best upcoming exclusive lineup, then?

• 
ShoTTyMcNaDeS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#101 ShoTTyMcNaDeS
Member since 2011 • 2784 Posts

It's funny how much time the Cows and Lems argue on here about 1080p this and 60 FPS that and yet it's the WiiU that has the best upcoming games catalog!!

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#102 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

For me it's both Wii U and Xbox One. PlayStation exclusives - while there are some interesting games here and there - don't appeal to me at all.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

@ShoTTyMcNaDeS said:

It's funny how much time the Cows and Lems argue on here about 1080p this and 60 FPS that and yet it's the WiiU that has the best upcoming games catalog!!

Actually that is factually wrong, yes it has the best exclusives catalog, but wii u misses every single decent 3rd party game, as always the problem arises, having 1 system is just not enough.

OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#104 OhSnapitz
Member since 2002 • 19282 Posts

@ShoTTyMcNaDeS said:

You're not getting Evolve.. You're not getting Destiny.. You're not getting AC Unity.. You're not getting Final Fantasy..

Dude what "catalog" are you looking at.. lol

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#105  Edited By hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts

@Krelian-co: and no one is arguing you should only own one system to begin with. Charizard's thread is merely pointing out the obvious; you buy a console for its exclusive games.

SNES: Super Mario World, Donkey Kong Country, FF6

PS1: FF7, Resident Evil

PS2: GTAIII, FFX

Wii: Wii Sports, Mario Kart Wii, New Super Mario Bros Wii

ShoTTyMcNaDeS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 ShoTTyMcNaDeS
Member since 2011 • 2784 Posts

@OhSnapitz: oh I'm sorry, are you one of those single console owners? I own both a Wii U and X1, so I'm good on games there chief!! I'll get a PS4 when UC4, The Order and Bloodborne release.

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

@ActicEdge said:

Soooo many games. Indies are killing it in the 2D space. Would love to see them get their 3D on more though.

Antichamber

Watched 5 minutes of a let's play. That is cool as hell.

OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 OhSnapitz

@farrell2k said:

@OhSnapitz said:

@ShoTTyMcNaDeS said:

You're not getting Evolve.. You're not getting Destiny.. You're not getting AC Unity.. You're not getting Final Fantasy..

The best upcoming games catalog. He already told you. The topic is about exclusives, after all.

The Topic is about exclusives, yet his lists Multiplats for all 3 systems.. GTFO.

OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 OhSnapitz

@ShoTTyMcNaDeS:

..since you asked.. I own every console made except the PS3, WiiU and XBO. oh and I have a gaming rig to boot. So what's you're point again?

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#111 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

@hiphops_savior: That post makes no sense at all. The big picture is the overall library. What are you talking about?

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 ActicEdge

@hiphops_savior said:

@Krelian-co: and no one is arguing you should only own one system to begin with. Charizard's thread is merely pointing out the obvious; you buy a console for its exclusive games.

The vast majority doesn't buy systems for exclusives anymore, they buy them for multiplats and happen to get the exclusives that also appear on that system. If you look at the PS3 and the 360, the highest selling titles are multiplats. You get some exceptions like TLOU and Halo but its pretty much multiplats since that is 90% of games released these days.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#113 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

PS4 has some good ones but I'd have to go with the Wii-U

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#114 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

Charizard is very good at causing butthurt.

YD_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#116 YD_11
Member since 2006 • 1867 Posts

Xbox One has the exclusives that appeal to me the most. Add Crackdown and Scalebound to that list as well. Nintendo always seems to have a good exclusive list if you are in to their games. Ps4 has a couple to look forward to but ultimately comes up short for the foreseeable future.

X1 > WiiU > Ps4

TwistedShade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 TwistedShade
Member since 2012 • 3139 Posts

Lol Chaz sometimes I think the only reason you make these threads is because the Wii U would overwhelmingly win them.

Smash Bros> Anything Sony and Microsoft have combined.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#119  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

@Salt_The_Fries said:

For me it's both Wii U and Xbox One. PlayStation exclusives - while there are some interesting games here and there - don't appeal to me at all.

Same . I don't own PS4 , X1 or Wii U right now (I game on PC) . To me , Xbox One exclusives are looking more appealing than PS4 ones . The only game that excites me a little bit on PS4 ATM is Uncharted 4 .

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By ActicEdge

@farrell2k said:

@ActicEdge said:

@hiphops_savior said:

The vast majority doesn't buy systems for exclusives anymore, they buy them for multiplats and happen to get the exclusives that also appear on that system. If you look at the PS3 and the 360, the highest selling titles are multiplats. You get some exceptions like TLOU and Halo but its pretty much multiplats since that is 90% of games released these days.

Maybe in la la land, where you apparently live, but in the real world, exclusives sell consoles.

So what's your actual proof of this? If you go and look at 90% of games released no a days, they are all multiplats and if you look at the vast majority of software sales it's all multiplats. Why are you assuming that 10% of games sells people on a system? Why is it that the best selling games are multiplats regardless of what platform you look at? As in, COD are the best selling PS3 games. And the best selling 360 games. And so is GTA and RDR and Borderlands. What you are arguing is really not true. Games like Mario Kart or God of War or Halo do sell systems too but its not like back in the 6th gen where exclusives push the most hardware.

The only system this isn't true about is the WiiU and the Wii and that's because they didn't get many multiplats so the biggest games were bound to be exclusive. The biggest games these days are multiplats and the biggest games sell hardware. That's the reality. So will you address my actual point or will you just continue to tell me I'm wrong because you say so?

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Wii U, easily.

@FreedomFreeLife said:

This TC is totally very biased. Why you leave of big AAA PS4 and Xbox One exclusives out and yet you add all Wii U games that are coming out?

Oh sweet irony. Happens in all your threads

LOL

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

The Wii U, it's not even close. What's with all the butt hurt damage controlling in here? The other consoles look dry right now.

Bruin1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 Bruin1986
Member since 2007 • 1629 Posts

@Krelian-co said:

@ShoTTyMcNaDeS said:

Actually that is factually wrong, yes it has the best exclusives catalog, but wii u misses every single decent 3rd party game, as always the problem arises, having 1 system is just not enough.

Which is like critiquing someone who buys soccer shoes by saying, "well, you can't play basketball with them so they are not sufficient."

The reason people buy Nintendo consoles is to play their 1st party games. Not to play Call of Duty, Fifa or Dragon Age.

And yes, the Nintendo 1st party line-up is strong enough that many people only need one console to be fully satisfied.

I'm not one of them, but they absolutely exist.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#124 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

As always the PS exclusives catter to me more. Bloodborne, The Order 1886 and Uncharted 4 are right there for me. I must say I'm jeaulous of WiiU owners because of Bayonetta 2 and I also like the Project Zero aka Fatal Frame series. On the X1 only Sunset Overdrive seems interesting and even so only on a very basic level. I feel about SO like I felt about Infamous: it would be an interesting game to play ocasionally but FAAAAAAAAR from a system seller. It wouldnt even be a Day1 buy for me even if I could play it.

xxyetixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 xxyetixx
Member since 2004 • 3041 Posts

You left out Season 2 of Killer Instinct?

Sunset Overdrive and Season 2 of Killer Instinct are both buys for me. Quantum Break looks interesting gotta see more.

But nothing on those exclusives list are gonna be a good as COD:AW, RB6: Siege, and Mortal Kombat X!!!

I will say the WiiU is close to being a buy though all it needs is to be $100 less or have a new punch out game which ever comes first;)

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#126 cainetao11  Online
Member since 2006 • 38035 Posts

WiiU has a great lineup but I don't care for Mario maker, party, Kirby, cap toad, Yoshio wooly. Just not my thing. I got an x1 because of halo, gears, fable, qb, so

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@speak_low said:

Just wondering why Xbox One's list doesn't include the Crackdown "3" Reboot, Scalebound (Kamiya exlusive) and Killer Instinct Season 2?

And if we want to be really thorough, we should include Harmonix's Dance Central Spotlight and Disney's Fantasia: Music Evolved if you're going to give Star Fox and Fatal Frame their own space.

Barely a thing is known or shown regarding Star Fox (is it a standalone game? what exactly is this game?), and Fatal Frame hasn't been confirmed for release outside of Japan. Might as well throw in PS4's Deep Down.

Short answer: I messed up. I tried editing them in later, but you can't edit polls, so there we are.

No ulterior motive, I assure you. Especially since, as I am sure you have realized, I have already distorted the rules of the word 'exclusive' to make sure Xbox and PlayStation benefit.

As for Star Fox. It's standalone, probably episodic.

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 Shielder7
Member since 2006 • 5191 Posts

Out of all the Nintendo Exclusives besides Smash the only one that interests me is Star Fox and it's been so long since Nintendo made a Star Fox game I honestly don't trust them to make a good one.

Hyrule Warriors- cash grab game i.e. poor mans Smash

Bayonetta 2- If it's anything like Bayonetta 1 forget it.

Capetian Toad - Not intrested

Devils Third - Never heard of it.

Yoshis Woolly World - Nope

Mario Maker - I get board with this in an hour

Kirby and the Rainbow to Nowhere - Tittle says it all

Xenoblade Chronicles - I hate JRPGs and turn based combat

Splatoon - Never heard of it but just looks like an indie game

MarioParty 10 - Nope

Sonic Boom - LoLz Sonic Game

Dream Fall Chapters - Never heard of it.

Fatal Frame - Last I heard it wasn't even coming to NA.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@Shielder7 said:

Out of all the Nintendo Exclusives besides Smash the only one that interests me is Star Fox and it's been so long since Nintendo made a Star Fox game I honestly don't trust them to make a good one.

what? It's nothing like Smash

You get bored of something you haven't played?

It's not turn based

Well, you should probably actually, idk, check it out before passing judgements on it?

MarioParty 10 - Nope

They haven't commented on a western release either way, so you heard wrong

You really should try better to at least seem like you know what you are talking about.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#132  Edited By Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

Although PS4 has Bloodborne, the shear amount of interesting Wii U exclusives makes it the winner... also a lot of these so called exclusives are available on PC or last generation and not really exclusives. You may not want people to evaluate that in their choice, but it's the reality, and I'm still going to factor that in.

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 Shielder7

@charizard1605 said:

@Shielder7 said:

It's not turn based

Well, you should probably actually, idk, check it out before passing judgements on it?

MarioParty 10 - Nope

You really should try better to at least seem like you know what you are talking about.

I never know what I'm talking about.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#134 cainetao11  Online
Member since 2006 • 38035 Posts

@farrell2k said:

@OhSnapitz said:

@ShoTTyMcNaDeS said:

The best upcoming games catalog. He already told you. The topic is about exclusives, after all.

Games catalog doesn't mean just exclusives to me. I want the third party must haves in my catalog. And Nintendo doesn't get them

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 ActicEdge

@farrell2k said:

@ActicEdge said:

So what's your actual proof of this? If you go and look at 90% of games released no a days, they are all multiplats and if you look at the vast majority of software sales it's all multiplats. Why are you assuming that 10% of games sells people on a system? Why is it that the best selling games are multiplats regardless of what platform you look at? As in, COD are the best selling PS3 games. And the best selling 360 games. And so is GTA and RDR and Borderlands. What you are arguing is really not true. Games like Mario Kart or God of War or Halo do sell systems too but its not like back in the 6th gen where exclusives push the most hardware.

The only system this isn't true about is the WiiU and the Wii and that's because they didn't get many multiplats so the biggest games were bound to be exclusive. The biggest games these days are multiplats and the biggest games sell hardware. That's the reality. So will you address my actual point or will you just continue to tell me I'm wrong because you say so?

My proof? All of recorded console history.

Yes, exclusives sell people on systems. Don't confuse brand loyalty as the reason for a console sale with buying a system for exclusive games.

WiiU currently has more multiplats than either the PS4 or XB1.

You can't apply the logic of the 6th generation to this generation, I already said that. In the last 10 years, the majority of games were multiplatfrom and those games sold the most units on the PS3/360 despite those systems having exclusives. The multiplatform software sales dwarf the exclusive sales so much it's not accurate to say that 10% of the software sales dictated 90% of the adoption. It's absurd. WiiU barely sells multiplatform software. Like I said, it and the WiiU are the only recent systems where exclusive drive adoption and that's because the muultiplatfrom games either don't exist, or sold the bulk of their units else where. So again, look at recent history, not the 5th or 6th generation which don't accurately describe the state of the market right now.

GTSaiyanjin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By GTSaiyanjin2
Member since 2005 • 6018 Posts

I have all the consoles... but If I had to pick one it would be the PS4, it has the best exclusives that I want. So for me its an easy choice.

22Toothpicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 22Toothpicks
Member since 2005 • 12546 Posts

@xxyetixx said:

You left out Season 2 of Killer Instinct?

Sunset Overdrive and Season 2 of Killer Instinct are both buys for me. Quantum Break looks interesting gotta see more.

But nothing on those exclusives list are gonna be a good as COD:AW, RB6: Siege, and Mortal Kombat X!!!

I will say the WiiU is close to being a buy though all it needs is to be $100 less or have a new punch out game which ever comes first;)

Is a "season" for a FTP game really considered a new release? Not trying to start an argument but I think that's a bit of a stretch. They aren't even expansion pack/DLC territory because, correct me if I'm wrong, they are just new characters (well, for KI anyway).

22Toothpicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 22Toothpicks
Member since 2005 • 12546 Posts

@Shielder7 said:

@charizard1605 said:

@Shielder7 said:

It's not turn based

MarioParty 10 - Nope

Well, at least your not in denial. :P

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By Mercenary848
Member since 2007 • 12139 Posts

I'm getting 4 ps4 exclusives, and I am not getting only two of the wii u exclusives. What does that tell you lol.

Note I would have listed some x1 games but I do not own that console.

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 Shielder7

@22Toothpicks said:

@Shielder7 said:

@charizard1605 said:

@Shielder7 said:

It's not turn based

MarioParty 10 - Nope

Well, at least your not in denial. :P

Damn Straight!

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 hiphops_savior

@Mercenary848 said:

I'm getting 4 ps4 exclusives, and I am not getting only two of the wii u exclusives. What does that tell you lol.

Note I would have listed some x1 games but I do not own that console.

You have different tastes, it's almost blasphemous to imagine.

Zen_Light

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 Zen_Light
Member since 2010 • 2143 Posts

Hard to choose. They all have some interesting upcoming exclusives.

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By ActicEdge

@farrell2k said:

@ActicEdge said:

You can't apply the logic of the 6th generation to this generation, I already said that. In the last 10 years, the majority of games were multiplatfrom and those games sold the most units on the PS3/360 despite those systems having exclusives. The multiplatform software sales dwarf the exclusive sales so much it's not accurate to say that 10% of the software sales dictated 90% of the adoption. It's absurd. WiiU barely sells multiplatform software. Like I said, it and the WiiU are the only recent systems where exclusive drive adoption and that's because the muultiplatfrom games either don't exist, or sold the bulk of their units else where. So again, look at recent history, not the 5th or 6th generation which don't accurately describe the state of the market right now.

That's because multiplats usually outnumber exclusives, so of course they tend to sell more. Still doesn't change the fact that exclusives drive console sales. Multiplats sell consoles too. It's just that exclusives do it more. You can refute this all you want, but it doesn't change the fact of it. Feel free to keep making that argument though. I haven't really been paying attention for a while now, and I doubt anyone else is taking your argument seriously either.

I'm just making the point that at this stage in the game, arguing 10% of software sales drive 90% of adoption is blatantly wrong. You don't have to believe me but it's still ridiculous to think the small amount of exclusives are how people decide to buy a console. It's the biggest games that do that and news flash, those are multiplats.

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 hiphops_savior

@ActicEdge: Going by your logic, it ends up being a flip of a coin, or stick with PC. Of course, that also doesn't factor brand loyalty, familiarity, and which console your friends are getting.

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 ActicEdge

@hiphops_savior said:

@ActicEdge: Going by your logic, it ends up being a flip of a coin, or stick with PC. Of course, that also doesn't factor brand loyalty, familiarity, and which console your friends are getting.

I'm not saying multiplats solely drive hardware sales. Things such as brand loyalty, marketing, price, social aspects drive sales as well. I'm also not saying exclusives don't push hardware either. I'm saying that these days, exclusives don't drive hardware as much as multiplatform software does. For example, you will see a lot of hardware sold when Destiny launches which is a multiplatform game. People will buy consoles to play it regardless of whether its multiplat or not. I'm making saying that the idea that exclusives are what people use to decide their purchases is not as true as SW likes to say it is these days. If it was, why isn't the WiiU selling better?

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 hiphops_savior

@ActicEdge: Lack of a killer app until Mario Kart 8 arrived. That said, a white PS4 would make for a very nice trophy.

When it comes to multiplats, there will be killer apps. In that case, the person might also be looking at other games on the console as well. Which console do my friends own? What kind of games that this system has to offer? Of course, all that goes kabonk when it is an Impulse buy.

SakusEnvoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By SakusEnvoy
Member since 2009 • 4764 Posts

@ActicEdge said:

@hiphops_savior said:

I'm not saying multiplats solely drive hardware sales. Things such as brand loyalty, marketing, price, social aspects drive sales as well. I'm also not saying exclusives don't push hardware either. I'm saying that these days, exclusives don't drive hardware as much as multiplatform software does. For example, you will see a lot of hardware sold when Destiny launches which is a multiplatform game. People will buy consoles to play it regardless of whether its multiplat or not. I'm making saying that the idea that exclusives are what people use to decide their purchases is not as true as SW likes to say it is these days. If it was, why isn't the WiiU selling better?

I'd have to agree. I think it's pretty clear that the PS4 isn't selling like hotcakes because of exclusives; it's a combination of great marketing, shared collective interest and good-will, very good public relations, very positive news reports, and most importantly of all price. Certainly it helps that just about every software developer out there has said that they like they console and intend to develop games for it. Both the developers and the next-gen graphics-loving consumers are happy that it's the most powerful console technically. So the system has broad appeal and as a result has become the gold standard for a highly desirable console.

And it's done all of that with very little exclusive software. It's gone toe to toe with the Wii U through games like Super Mario 3D World and Mario Kart 8 and came out without a scratch. I don't think Bayonetta 2 or Zelda Wii U is going to change that. I'm reminded of the Gamecube, this isn't even a new phenomena - Gamecube had plenty of AAA first party exclusives but in the end the PS2 is where all the games were, where are the developers were, and where all the consumers were. Thus it was "the" system to own. Right now all the developers are with the One and PS4, but the One is still getting negative press about power, price and flip-flopping while the PS4 is nothing but positive press.

So the PS4 is "the" system to own and it has very little to do with exclusives. Exclusives can help drive hardware, but it's only one factor among many. As you say, the Wii U should be the best selling system this generation so far then, but clearly it isn't.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#149 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

Xbone:

1. Sunset Overdrive
  2. Master Chief Collection
  3. Project Spark
  4. Ori and the Blind Forest
  5. Halo 5

PS4:

1. Last of Us Remastered
  2. No Man's Sky
  3. The Order

Wii U:

1. Bayonetta 2
  2. Captain Toad treasure tracker
  3. Smash Bros U
  4. Yoshi's Wooly Worlds
  5. Mario Maker
  6. Kirby and the Rainbow Curse
  7. Xenoblade Chronicles X
  8. Splatoon
  9. Zelda U

Wiii U has the more exciting exclusives for me, though all 3 have something that interest me.

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 ActicEdge

@SakusEnvoy said:

I'd have to agree. I think it's pretty clear that the PS4 isn't selling like hotcakes because of exclusives; it's a combination of great marketing, shared collective interest and good-will, very good public relations, very positive news reports, and most importantly of all price. Certainly it helps that just about every software developer out there has said that they like they console and intend to develop games for it. Both the developers and the next-gen graphics-loving consumers are happy that it's the most powerful console technically. So the system has broad appeal and as a result has become the gold standard for a highly desirable console.

And it's done all of that with very little exclusive software. It's gone toe to toe with the Wii U through games like Super Mario 3D World and Mario Kart 8 and came out without a scratch. I don't think Bayonetta 2 or Zelda Wii U is going to change that. I'm reminded of the Gamecube, this isn't even a new phenomena - Gamecube had plenty of AAA first party exclusives but in the end the PS2 is where all the games were, where are the developers were, and where all the consumers were. Thus it was "the" system to own. Right now all the developers are with the One and PS4, but the One is still getting negative press about power, price and flip-flopping while the PS4 is nothing but positive press.

So the PS4 is "the" system to own and it has very little to do with exclusives. Exclusives can help drive hardware, but it's only one factor among many. As you say, the Wii U should be the best selling system this generation so far then, but clearly it isn't.

Gamecube was actually the Nintendo system that I feel the worst for because it actually did have pretty decent third party support. It got every EA sports title. It got stuff like James Bond shooters, it got time splitters. It got capcom games. It got everything it should take to make a system successful in the 35-40 million units of hardware range. Didn't need to lead the gen but deserved more than 20 million. I honestly think the aesthetic and marketing of that system is why it sold poorly because you could own just a Gamecube, buy 10 games a year and be fine. Anyway, I think WiiU's biggest problem is the name and the price. One can't be fixed, the other will be super difficult to fix. It's gonna sell 15 million units and be a drastic failure. It's unfortunate.