Updated: New Destiny Gameplay Trailer and Previews!

  • 118 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
Avatar image for R3FURBISHED
#1 Edited by R3FURBISHED (11315 posts) -

"In the very near future, humanity is visited by a mysterious, moon-sized sphere. We call it the traveler. It breathes new life into our solar system, paving the way for massive human expansion. We rush into the stars, building great colonies on Mars and Venus. It's an amazing era of unbounded human progress. We call it the golden age. It's a time of miracles. But it doesn't last, for the traveler has an enemy. It's a great evil that's been haunting it for eons. It's a darkness you couldn't possibly imagine. And when it finds us here on Earth, it nearly destroys us. And just when all hope is gone, just when the darkness has taken everything, the traveler sacrifices itself to save us all, and the darkness is defeated, at least for a while. The traveler's sacrifice leaves it silent and immobile, hanging above Earth. Beneath it, we begin to rebuild."

The Devil's Lair

Return to Old Russia with a Fireteam for a Strike in Destiny. See the action through the eyes of our heroes.

Fight the Fallen. Burn back the Hive. Clear a path that leads straight to E3, the Beta, and beyond.

Previews

GameSpot: Discovering Destiny: What Awaits You in Bungie's Upcoming Shooter

But it's not just the built-in narrative that Bungie hopes draws players to Destiny. The game's designers want the stories that players create for themselves to be at least as important as the fiction that Bungie has developed. Tyson Reed, the game's investment lead, said, "We want to make sure that there's a story that people tell about sort of the longer-scale game, where they say, 'Were you in the tower on this day when that happened?'... That is something we're excited about. That's how I think we want to evolve the, I guess I would call it the metastory of the game. There's a narrative that we're gonna tell that's really core to the campaign experience but there's a metastory that's gonna be, I think, core to the actual player experience."

IGN: I Played Destiny, and...

Eurogamer: Getting to play Destiny: better than Halo?

A shooter is only as good as its sniper rifle. In Halo, the UNSC Sniper Rifle System 99 thunders with each pull of the trigger, as if Zeus himself has hurled a bolt of lightning down from the heavens and into the skull of your enemy. Zoom. Thundercrack. Headshot. Reload.

In Destiny, the sniper rifle - whatever its level, whatever its rarity, whatever its name - also thunders. Zoom. Thundercrack. Headshot. Reload. Except in Destiny, you see the word "Critical" pop up when you score that headshot. And you see a life bar evaporate. And you earn experience points. And maybe you see a message letting you know you've unlocked an upgrade for your sniper rifle, so you go into your character page, have a gander at the upgrade and buy it with the in-game currency, Glimmer.

But the feeling is the same. The common sense that governs Destiny's sniper rifle is the same that stood the SRS99 in such good stead for so long. It is the sense that the bullet really does travel across the map, hitting where and when it's supposed to, the sound of live fire echoing around a chasm, a virtual thud with real world impact. It's a familiar, reassuring feeling, and it's quintessentially Bungie.

Quintessentially Bungie: that's Destiny right there.

Avatar image for uninspiredcup
#2 Posted by uninspiredcup (19172 posts) -

Planetside 2.

Avatar image for R3FURBISHED
#3 Posted by R3FURBISHED (11315 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

Planetside 2.

Halo meets Borderlands with elements of Planetside 2

Avatar image for Basinboy
#4 Posted by Basinboy (12165 posts) -

Get hype

Avatar image for blangenakker
#5 Posted by blangenakker (3038 posts) -

Is it using the same engine that Halo was on?

Avatar image for R3FURBISHED
#6 Posted by R3FURBISHED (11315 posts) -

@blangenakker said:

Is it using the same engine that Halo was on?

No, brand new engine.

Read more here!

"Over the last four years we have built a truly state of the art engine," senior graphics architect Hao Chen told OXM during a presentation which included video of the engine's tools, plus prototype footage of exteriors and lighting systems. "It's by design multiplatform; it's highly multithreaded, scales very well to the current generation and the future generation of hardware.

Avatar image for adders99
#7 Posted by adders99 (2623 posts) -

@R3FURBISHED said:

@uninspiredcup said:

Planetside 2.

Halo meets Borderlands with elements of Planetside 2

To me.... That sounds amazing!!

Avatar image for hrt_rulz01
#8 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (10587 posts) -

Looks amazing. Definitely in my top 5 most wanted games.

Avatar image for Shewgenja
#9 Posted by Shewgenja (15435 posts) -

One of the best reasons to leap to Gen8. This game is going to be so tits!

Avatar image for R3FURBISHED
#10 Edited by R3FURBISHED (11315 posts) -

@adders99 said:

@R3FURBISHED said:

Halo meets Borderlands with elements of Planetside 2

To me.... That sounds amazing!!

Halo-esque gameplay. Borderland-esque RPG elements and loot based (albeit not random) structure. Planetside-esque persistent world and open/online battles.

Avatar image for inb4uall
#11 Edited by inb4uall (6564 posts) -

@R3FURBISHED said:

@uninspiredcup said:

Planetside 2.

Halo meets Borderlands with elements of Planetside 2

Halo = good. Borderlands boring as shit. If this is just halo in a borderlands type world this games is going to suck hard. I hope you're wrong.

Avatar image for silversix_
#12 Posted by silversix_ (22222 posts) -

This and Evolve will be the best and most original shooters of this year.

Avatar image for R3FURBISHED
#13 Edited by R3FURBISHED (11315 posts) -

@inb4uall said:

Halo = good. Borderlands boring as shit. If this is just halo in a borderlands type world this games is going to suck hard. I hope you're wrong.

Halo-esque gameplay. Borderland-esque RPG elements and loot based (albeit not random) structure. Planetside-esque persistent world and open/online battles.

____

This is a Bungie world....Bungie worlds (Earth, Moon, Venus, Mars) populated with you, your fireteam and all the others in this persistent universe. Borderlands became boring because of the feeling of loneliness, no such loneliness exists in Destiny.

Avatar image for inb4uall
#14 Edited by inb4uall (6564 posts) -

@R3FURBISHED said:

@inb4uall said:

Halo = good. Borderlands boring as shit. If this is just halo in a borderlands type world this games is going to suck hard. I hope you're wrong.

Halo-esque gameplay. Borderland-esque RPG elements and loot based (albeit not random) structure. Planetside-esque persistent world and open/online battles.

____

This is a Bungie world....Bungie worlds (Earth, Moon, Venus, Mars) populated with you, your fireteam and all the others in this persistent universe. Borderlands became boring because of the feeling of loneliness, no such loneliness exists in Destiny.

Borderlands was boring for me because the environment was a boring dull wasteland.

Avatar image for R3FURBISHED
#15 Edited by R3FURBISHED (11315 posts) -

@inb4uall said:

Borderlands was boring for me because the environment was a boring dull wasteland.

Well check out what we know so far about the different worlds. Granted we don't know too much.

Destiny Destinations

Avatar image for HaloinventedFPS
#16 Posted by HaloinventedFPS (4736 posts) -

Ill get it on PS3, since free online, then hoping for a PC version soon after, ill double dip if it's good

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
#17 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (18705 posts) -

looks awesome.

Avatar image for R3FURBISHED
#18 Posted by R3FURBISHED (11315 posts) -

@HaloinventedFPS said:

Ill get it on PS3, since free online, then hoping for a PC version soon after, ill double dip if it's good

Don't expect a PC version.

One caveat that came out of the Infinity Ward/Activision lawsuit was that Bungie has complete control of the Destiny IP (don't expect any Destiny branded Mountain Dew like we saw with Halo) so I wouldn't expect to see Destiny on any other systems other than the ones that have been announced.

Avatar image for Salt_The_Fries
#19 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (12377 posts) -

Looks completely UNINTERESTING and not graphically appealing, those screens seem very hermetic and taken from isolated context, they don't seem to be taken from the actual gameplay. Some closeups from replay/photo/spectator mode more like.

Avatar image for bobbetybob
#20 Posted by bobbetybob (19367 posts) -
@Salt_The_Fries said:

Looks completely UNINTERESTING and not graphically appealing, those screens seem very hermetic and taken from isolated context, they don't seem to be taken from the actual gameplay. Some closeups from replay/photo/spectator mode more like.

No shit, they're promotional screenshots. I seriously don't see how you can say the game isn't aesthetically appealing either, the character designs don't do much for me but the world looks incredible.

Avatar image for Salt_The_Fries
#21 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (12377 posts) -

@bobbetybob said:
@Salt_The_Fries said:

Looks completely UNINTERESTING and not graphically appealing, those screens seem very hermetic and taken from isolated context, they don't seem to be taken from the actual gameplay. Some closeups from replay/photo/spectator mode more like.

No shit, they're promotional screenshots. I seriously don't see how you can say the game isn't aesthetically appealing either, the character designs don't do much for me but the world looks incredible.

It doesn't seem to be much different from Halo so far.

Avatar image for DJ-Lafleur
#22 Posted by DJ-Lafleur (34930 posts) -

Looks great. This is probably on of my most anticipated games.

Avatar image for R3FURBISHED
#23 Edited by R3FURBISHED (11315 posts) -

@Salt_The_Fries said:

@bobbetybob said:
@Salt_The_Fries said:

Looks completely UNINTERESTING and not graphically appealing, those screens seem very hermetic and taken from isolated context, they don't seem to be taken from the actual gameplay. Some closeups from replay/photo/spectator mode more like.

No shit, they're promotional screenshots. I seriously don't see how you can say the game isn't aesthetically appealing either, the character designs don't do much for me but the world looks incredible.

It doesn't seem to be much different from Halo so far.

And Halo wasn't too different from Marathon.

You want gameplay? Want some more? ViDoc: Out Here in the Wild How about gameplay screens:

Avatar image for Spartan070
#24 Posted by Spartan070 (16402 posts) -

* Kreygasm*

Avatar image for Salt_The_Fries
#25 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (12377 posts) -

@R3FURBISHED said:

@Salt_The_Fries said:

@bobbetybob said:
@Salt_The_Fries said:

Looks completely UNINTERESTING and not graphically appealing, those screens seem very hermetic and taken from isolated context, they don't seem to be taken from the actual gameplay. Some closeups from replay/photo/spectator mode more like.

No shit, they're promotional screenshots. I seriously don't see how you can say the game isn't aesthetically appealing either, the character designs don't do much for me but the world looks incredible.

It doesn't seem to be much different from Halo so far.

And Halo wasn't too different from Marathon.

You want gameplay? Want some more? ViDoc: Out Here in the Wild How about gameplay screens:

Sorry, it looks like I missed that reveal. After seeing it, it looks a helluva lot more interesting. However, it looks like - if it makes any sense - a COD-ified Halo? I think it's because of Aiming Down Sights.

Avatar image for R3FURBISHED
#26 Edited by R3FURBISHED (11315 posts) -

@Salt_The_Fries said:

Sorry, it looks like I missed that reveal. After seeing it, it looks a helluva lot more interesting. However, it looks like - if it makes any sense - a COD-ified Halo? I think it's because of Aiming Down Sights.

Halo-esque gameplay. Borderlands-esque RPG elements and loot based (albeit not random) structure. Planetside-esque persistent world and open/online battles.

Avatar image for Sollet
#27 Posted by Sollet (7999 posts) -

Can't fricking wait for this... Main reason why I will have to get a PS4 this year... If it only was on PC :(

Avatar image for Evo_nine
#28 Edited by Evo_nine (2158 posts) -

meh....same old.

another halo wannabe.

Avatar image for 7mdma
#29 Edited by 7MDMA (315 posts) -

I would be interested if this wasn't a multiplayer title.

Avatar image for Bigboi500
#30 Posted by Bigboi500 (35550 posts) -

@inb4uall said:

@R3FURBISHED said:

@uninspiredcup said:

Planetside 2.

Halo meets Borderlands with elements of Planetside 2

Halo = good. Borderlands boring as shit. If this is just halo in a borderlands type world this games is going to suck hard. I hope you're wrong.

Halo wasn't that good and Borderlands wasn't that bad.

Avatar image for aroxx_ab
#31 Posted by aroxx_ab (12489 posts) -

Looks like it going to be amazing, is this comming to PC as well?

Avatar image for Kjranu
#32 Edited by Kjranu (1610 posts) -

One of the things we have to thank Microsoft for screwing up their relationship with Bungie. We get Destiny and it's not Xbox exclusive. I guarantee that this game is going to be the first 10/10 game for this gen.

Avatar image for clyde46
#33 Posted by clyde46 (48902 posts) -

@Sollet said:

Can't fricking wait for this... Main reason why I will have to get a PS4 this year... If it only was on PC :(

They never said no to PC version but then again, neither did Rockstar.

Avatar image for clyde46
#35 Posted by clyde46 (48902 posts) -

@SNIPER4321 said:

Looks too generic

Too mainstream?

Avatar image for kinectthedots
#36 Posted by kinectthedots (3383 posts) -

Looks really good for an open world game and seems like some lemmings are already damage controlling because they know these are PS4 screens and their are no PC versions to hide behind or boast about on their mega powerful rigs they all have.

Avatar image for foxhound_fox
#37 Posted by foxhound_fox (94733 posts) -

I really hope this game differentiates itself from Halo enough to feel fresh and exciting. I'm having nightmares about it being just like Halo, with elements of Borderlands thrown in to feel different.

Avatar image for lunar1122
#38 Edited by lunar1122 (745 posts) -

ive failed to grasp the destiny hype.. Can someone tell me why i should be excited about this? The devs have already come out and said you wont be flying spaceships in this. Its looks like yet another 3000 mindless check point game gunning down hordes of retarded AI with your pals.

Avatar image for inb4uall
#39 Posted by inb4uall (6564 posts) -

@Bigboi500 said:

@inb4uall said:

@R3FURBISHED said:

@uninspiredcup said:

Planetside 2.

Halo meets Borderlands with elements of Planetside 2

Halo = good. Borderlands boring as shit. If this is just halo in a borderlands type world this games is going to suck hard. I hope you're wrong.

Halo wasn't that good and Borderlands wasn't that bad.

Whatever you say.

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
#41 Posted by ghostwarrior786 (5811 posts) -

@SNIPER4321 said:

Im pretty sure after year later this game will come to PC too.

only if u make a petition. 'master race' should start now, maybe then u can play it 1-2 years after release

Avatar image for R3FURBISHED
#42 Posted by R3FURBISHED (11315 posts) -

@aroxx_ab said:

Looks like it going to be amazing, is this comming to PC as well?

Don't expect a PC version.

One caveat that came out of the Infinity Ward/Activision lawsuit was that we found out that Bungie has complete control of the Destiny IP (don't expect any Destiny branded Mountain Dew like we saw with Halo) so I wouldn't expect to see Destiny on any other systems other than the ones that have been announced.

@SNIPER4321 said:

Looks too generic

In what way?

Avatar image for kratosyoloswag
#43 Posted by KratosYOLOSwag (1823 posts) -

Destiny is one of my most anticipated games coming this year. It's also one of the reasons I decided to skip on xbox this gen. I get something similar (possibly better) to Halo while also getting all the Playstation exclusives.

Avatar image for Midnightshade29
#44 Posted by Midnightshade29 (5904 posts) -

@R3FURBISHED:

Amazing looking game. And the borderlands elike rpg elements have as a day 1 buy from me. If it was just a standard shooter, I would wate for a pricedrop and just get the free to play planetside 2. So glad rpg elements are in this! :)

Avatar image for R3FURBISHED
#45 Edited by R3FURBISHED (11315 posts) -

@Midnightshade29 said:

Amazing looking game. And the borderlands elike rpg elements have as a day 1 buy from me. If it was just a standard shooter, I would wate for a pricedrop and just get the free to play planetside 2. So glad rpg elements are in this! :)

Destiny's leveling explained by Tyson Green:

The three things that all characters can upgrade are their weapons, their armor, and their focus. Those all level up as you use them. So when you’re wearing your armor and earning experience your armor’s leveling up. When you’re using weapons to get kills, those specific weapons are leveling up. And your focus also levels up when you’re getting kills or completing activities.

___

It sounds to me as if you level up your abilities and your equipment rather than leveling up your actual Guardian.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
#46 Posted by Nonstop-Madness (9585 posts) -

I'm pretty pumped for Destiny - it'll bring a lot of life into a mostly stale, cookie-cutter genre.

Avatar image for Wasdie
#47 Edited by Wasdie (52194 posts) -

Damn that looks good. Can't wait.

Avatar image for lostrib
#48 Posted by lostrib (49999 posts) -

So which system are these from?

Avatar image for finalstar2007
#49 Posted by finalstar2007 (27777 posts) -

Looks amazing!

This game's only mistake is that its online only and retailing for $60.. aint paying more than $30 for an online only game.

Avatar image for effec_tor
#50 Posted by Effec_Tor (753 posts) -

I just hope the maps are not too small.