Unpopular Opinions: SW edition

• 127 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by flashn00b (2898 posts) -

Your opinions that you feel are very unpopular. To start off the thread, i suppose i'll post my least popular opinion:

Valve should invest in getting console games ported to SteamOS. (Though, since the only thing that consoles have that Windows doesn't are GTAV, Destiny, and JRPGs, we'll mostly see things that will largely appeal to an otaku audience)

#2 Edited by PrincessGomez92 (3460 posts) -

Resident Evil 6 is fantastic.

Lollipop Chainsaw, one of the best games of last gen.

Modern Warfare 3, the best overall Modern Warfare game.

Super Mario Kart sucks.

Wii, the most fun console I've played.

Fable II is the best Fable.

GTA Vice City and III aren't fun to play.

Sonic and the Secret Rings is one of the best Sonic games.

Dead Island is awesome.

I'm sure I could go on and on.

#3 Posted by lamprey263 (23096 posts) -

Saying like MGS4 was a shitty piece of crap used to mean war, but now only like a small fraction of the weeaboo cows with Snake avatars even give a shit, think the rest are in a boredom comma.

#4 Posted by drekula2 (1906 posts) -

Red Dead Redemption and Batman Arkham City were cutscene games fudged together with passable-at-best combat sequences.

#5 Edited by trugs26 (5289 posts) -

Well, it's a personal preference, but Nintendo systems are pretty much my only source of gaming. So my opinion there is that I enjoy that setup :P I know this would be an extremely unpopular preference.

#6 Edited by seanmcloughlin (38214 posts) -

MGS4 is a terrible MGS game and a disgrace to the franchise

Uncharted 3 was a very weak game that won everyone over with shiny set pieces. Has flaws coming out of its ass

also yeah this thread is exaggeration and hyperbole central :P

#7 Edited by drekula2 (1906 posts) -

@seanmcloughlin said:

MGS4 is a terrible MGS game and a disgrace to the franchise

when people are so impressed with visuals, it was easy to see how much crap theyll tolerate

oh , and while uncharted 3 stumbles a bit, it was still one of my favorites on the ps3

#8 Edited by Xaero_Gravity (8708 posts) -

Xaero_Gravity for System Wars King. There's an unpopular opinion for you.

#9 Posted by PannicAtack (21013 posts) -

God of War is overrated. God of War 3 is terrible.

#10 Posted by drekula2 (1906 posts) -

God of War II was great stuff. But Kratos is one of my least favorite characters ever.

#11 Edited by flashn00b (2898 posts) -

Thinking about it now, does this type of thread work in Gamespot? I mean, it works in Facepunch because of the post rating system x-x

#12 Edited by PannicAtack (21013 posts) -

@drekula2: At this point, I don't think anyone takes Kratos seriously as a character anymore.

#13 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38214 posts) -

I still think GOW 3 has THE best opening 30 minutes to a game

#14 Posted by charizard1605 (55964 posts) -

It's underwhelming, but it's not terrible. If God of War 3 is terrible, then you must have some incredibly insane standards.

#15 Edited by drekula2 (1906 posts) -

@PannicAtack said:

uncharted 3 says hi

#16 Posted by judaspete (392 posts) -

I'm just not a big fan of Sony's games. I went with a PS3 this gen, but most of my time is spent on 3rd party stuff. Sony's games tend to have great cut-scenes, high production values and often push the traditional boundaries of gaming. Many of them offer truly unique experiences and I respect them for their ambition. The thing they tend to lack is "fun". I ended up getting a wii and play that quite a bit more. Please don't hurt me.

#17 Posted by -RPGamer- (34283 posts) -
  • I think people overestimate the name Steam when it comes to being competitive in the console market. Thinking that power is all that is needed, when consoles have not prided themselves on power, but more on plug and play with reasonable capabilities.
    • I also think that Steam half-assing it by not owning the hardware is lame and gives them far too easy of an escape route. If you want me to be all in on your idea, I want you to be all in as well.
  • Final Fantasy IV and IX are the some of the worst entries in the series (besides the MMOs), despite being good games.

I'll stop there for now.

#18 Posted by drekula2 (1906 posts) -

I'm just not a big fan of Sony's games. I went with a PS3 this gen, but most of my time is spent on 3rd party stuff. Sony's games tend to have great cut-scenes, high production values and often push the traditional boundaries of gaming. Many of them offer truly unique experiences and I respect them for their ambition. The thing they tend to lack is "fun". I ended up getting a wii and play that quite a bit more. Please don't hurt me.

agree but better than xbox's games. just sequel shooters.

i really did enjoy the wii's exclusives though, even if they pale in comparison to gamecube.

#19 Edited by Blabadon (25904 posts) -

I would recommend the 3DS to a stranger nine times out of ten, but I find the Vita's library having better games overall.

#20 Posted by soulitane (13429 posts) -

3rd party games are much better than 1st party games generally.

The Last Story completely sucks.

Having a low score doesn't make the game bad.

#21 Posted by GoldenElementXL (2748 posts) -

Anything other than Sony is God posts are unpopular here. I love all Sony consoles but would not skip any Nintendo or Microsoft consoles ever. It seems like if you aren't a Cow you don't belong here. SDC, Thank you God Kaz, Antonio Banderas gif and all that. Thank you Sony.

#22 Posted by cainetao11 (16840 posts) -

I don't play the standards game. I play games, and wont pass up something I'm interested in trying because its not up to the "standard" that I never was asked to vote on. I find this line of thinking is self imposed limitations to experiences that I may enjoy if just tried.

#23 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38214 posts) -

@drekula2 said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

@PannicAtack said:

uncharted 3 says hi

That fucking bar fight??? Jesus no

#24 Posted by cain006 (8625 posts) -

Valve should invest in getting console games ported to SteamOS. (Though, since the only thing that consoles have that Windows doesn't are GTAV, Destiny, and JRPGs, we'll mostly see things that will largely appeal to an otaku audience)

That makes absolutely no sense. Completely nonsensical and shows you have no idea what's involved in doing that...

#25 Posted by W1NGMAN- (9958 posts) -

@drekula2 said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

@PannicAtack said:

uncharted 3 says hi

Agreed, Jesus NO! GoW3 is the best in the series. I know that's not a popular opinion but I think it is.

#26 Edited by hoosier7 (3780 posts) -

Halo has a mediocre to poor story that's only saved by it's compelling universe and lore.

Playing with a controller is more enjoyable than KB&M.

La Noire is the best Rockstar title.

Resistance:FOM was a really awesome game.

Oh and ODST was the best Halo imo.

#27 Posted by AppleFan1991 (3037 posts) -

1. TLOU was good but my least favorite ND game.

2. Red Dead Redemption is an awesome game

3. The Wii U is a good system for 1st party

4. The PS4 is a better overall system for games

5. The Xbox One is a better overall media experience

6. Call of Duty Ghosts is better than Battlefield 4

#28 Posted by AppleFan1991 (3037 posts) -

Also, Well done TC. Seriously, this is one of a very few threads that doesn't reek of trolling or flame bait. It actually is a good question and a unique topic. Bravo @flashn00b

#29 Posted by drekula2 (1906 posts) -

I thought Wind Waker had a great art style but disgraceful level design.

#30 Posted by flashn00b (2898 posts) -

The only reason we need GTAV on PC would most likely involve Sergeant_Mark_IV.

@WadeFan said:

Also, Well done TC. Seriously, this is one of a very few threads that doesn't reek of trolling or flame bait. It actually is a good question and a unique topic. Bravo @flashn00b

I actually stole the idea from Facepunch :P

#31 Posted by raging_user (382 posts) -

1. The euphoria engine for has ruined the overall aspect of just moving around or just jumping over something

every time it's like the players needs to jump across a building or take a breather after a fall

2. Mass Effect 2 and 3 > Mass Effect 1

the quick use of powers in the newer games made combat entertaining, story was also less forgettable

3. God of War 3

most disappointing piece of shit i have ever played.

Also lords of shadow > gow

#32 Edited by PannicAtack (21013 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@PannicAtack said:

It's underwhelming, but it's not terrible. If God of War 3 is terrible, then you must have some incredibly insane standards.

It's mainly that God of War 3 has no reason to exist other than "hey, let's have a God of War game on the PS3." It doesn't actually add anything to the series except gore. And the story is fucking garbage. Also, incredibly shitty mythology. Everything about Hercules in the game made me want to pull my hair out.

Maybe I hate the game more than it really deserves. But it still annoys the hell out of me.

#33 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38214 posts) -

@W1NGMAN- said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

Agreed, Jesus NO! GoW3 is the best in the series. I know that's not a popular opinion but I think it is.

I still like GOW 1 the most because it had the most consistent;y paced story. Kratos had a very real enemy and goal to fight and it kept reminding you of it all the time, even going between areas you saw Ares trample people to keep him in your head and focused

The rest were just "wah wah wah daddy hates me". I enjoyed the shit out of all of them though (I don't even count ascension), GOW3 had some amazing spectacles to watch. GOW II had the best locations and boss/enemy fights.

#34 Edited by charizard1605 (55964 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@PannicAtack said:

It's mainly that God of War 3 has no reason to exist other than "hey, let's have a God of War game on the PS3." It doesn't actually add anything to the series except gore. And the story is fucking garbage. Also, incredibly shitty mythology. Everything about Hercules in the game made me want to pull my hair out.

I agree with all of this, but it's a fun game to play (when it's pacing isn't shit) and the sheer spectacle justifies its existence

#35 Edited by PannicAtack (21013 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@PannicAtack said:

@charizard1605 said:

@PannicAtack said:

I agree with all of this, but it's a fun game to play (when it's pacing isn't shit) and the sheer spectacle justifies its existence

I can't really argue with that.

It's mostly just my personal pet peeve. What bugs me most is the story. I could write an essay on everything wrong with it.

God of War just feels to me like a game that shouldn't have been a series.

Dammit, I got the okay from SW Magazine to write stuff for them, but I haven't done anything with it. I should write something...

#36 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38214 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@PannicAtack said:

Maybe I hate the game more than it really deserves. But it still annoys the hell out of me.

I just describe GOW 3 as dumb fun. I fucking hated the labyrinth and Hermes and all that but some sections were just fun to play

#37 Edited by charizard1605 (55964 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@PannicAtack said:

@charizard1605 said:

@PannicAtack said:

True.

It's mostly just my pet peeve. What bugs me most is the shitty story. I could write a fucking essay on everything wrong with it.

Dammit, I got the okay from SW Magazine to write stuff for them, but i haven't done anything with it.

Yeah, the story was awful. The ending especially made me rage. It was a poorly written shit show, not just in terms of its source material, but also in literary terms, where they took literary convention, and with utter disregard threw it all out the window to give us- I don't even know what the fuck they were going for, to be honest.

Still, I just stopped thinking about it. It was a fun game, but it had a lot of problems. Definitely the weakest of the main trilogy.

#38 Posted by charizard1605 (55964 posts) -

@PannicAtack said:

@charizard1605 said:

@PannicAtack said:

I just describe GOW 3 as dumb fun. I fucking hated the labyrinth and Hermes and all that but some sections were just fun to play

The Labyrinth did have the best (and only) puzzle in the game though.

No wait, that was the gardens. The labyrinth fucking blew. Never mind.

#39 Posted by PannicAtack (21013 posts) -

@PannicAtack said:

@charizard1605 said:

@PannicAtack said:

@charizard1605 said:

@PannicAtack said:

True.

It's mostly just my pet peeve. What bugs me most is the shitty story. I could write a fucking essay on everything wrong with it.

Dammit, I got the okay from SW Magazine to write stuff for them, but i haven't done anything with it.

Yeah, the story was awful. The ending especially made me rage. It was a poorly written shit show, not just in terms of its source material, but also in literary terms, where they took literary convention, and with utter disregard threw it all out the window to give us- I don't even know what the fuck they were going for, to be honest.

Still, I just stopped thinking about it. It was a fun game, but it had a lot of problems. Definitely the weakest of the main trilogy.

I think they were going for something where Kratos gets worse and worse, but at the end he has a turnaround, hence he kills himself instead of murdering Athena (a second time). Redemption through Pandora's influence, and learning that he can only truly find redemption by forgiving himself.

The problem is none of it works. His relationship with Pandora doesn't have any real development (the part where he snaps Hera's neck makes absolutely no sense because at no point before that had he indicated he actually cared about Pandora), and the notion of her having a positive influence on him kinda dies when he lets her fall into the flame so he can punch Zeus in the face. I laughed.

#40 Posted by thedork_knight (866 posts) -

tomb raider 2013 was better then uncharted,

uncharted 3 was shit

As a user posted above put the 1srt 30 mins of GOW3 were amazing the rest was shit GOW overall very disappointing

heavy rain was awesome

infamous 2 was awful

MGS4 bored me to tears to begin with and couldnt finish it

TLOU only became a great game when play on survivor

i enjoyed KZ3 multiplayer and thought it was better then the second

#41 Edited by PannicAtack (21013 posts) -

Let's move away from my going all texas about God of War. Something else.

I actually like the opening of Fallout 3. It does a good job of introducing new players to the world of Fallout and the vaults, gradually and helpfully explains the SPECIAL system (as opposed to the originals, which just dump a character sheet at you), and helps give an idea of how people live in the vaults, introducing you to a colorful cast of characters. Also, Liam Neeson.

I think Fallout 3 is the weakest of the main series (at least in terms of writing and role-playing mechanics), but I don't think it's bad the way some fans do. And there are some good characters. I liked John Henry Eden.

#42 Posted by marinko123 (411 posts) -

I liked the mako sections in mass effect 1 :O heck, IMO that whole game was just perfect. ME2 didn't have the same impact on me, worse story, too many teammates.

I enjoyed vanilla oblivion and morrowind, despite trying mods out.

IMO rockstar was just shit this gen. Midnight club LA was a downgrade compared to mc3. Less cars, less vehicle types, no club races.. Gta4 was coma inducing, very boring, huge dissapointment after gta sa, couldn't bring myself to finish it and I've owned it for 3 years.. RDR was also pretty boring but had a decent story and good setting. Max Payne 3 had an uninteresting setting and story which only made worse the fact it had cutscenes around every corner and I gave up on that as well. Let me play! I was pleasantly surprised by episodes from liberty city though, and I've yet to get gta v.

#43 Edited by Pikminmaniac (8759 posts) -

-Sony's first party is extremely weak for the most part (inFAMOUS and Ratchet+Clank are awesome). My PS3 is a 3rd party machine mostly. Sony is just completely outclassed on their own console.

-Uncharted 2 would get a 70 score max on Metacritic if it wasn't for its cinematic presentation. I think it deserves no more than a 50 as it stands. It's basically a series of bad design choices IMHO. How anybody enjoyed this slow paced slogfest of tedium is beyond me.

-The first Darksiders game is what God of War should be by now instead of being perhaps the most restrictive gaming experience on the market. No back tracking, no exploration, no mission select, no point system. Just play the story from beginning to end with pretty much no incentive to ever return. I had a lot of fun with the first game, but when the next two were THE EXACT SAME THING, I said enough is enough.

#44 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (10284 posts) -

@ Pikminmaniac

Darksiders was big and empty. They didn't make use of that all space. It was Basicly Journey with combat and puzzles......and mild platforming.

#45 Edited by treedoor (7648 posts) -

Halo is the only good shooter on consoles (mainly because the other 99% of console shooters is just spunkgargleweewee, and it makes me sad nobody realizes this)

Sony's 1st party is not very good.

Mario is getting old

Anyone who is dedicated enough to the hobby that they participate in forums should game on PC, or at least hope to game on one someday soon.

Super Mario Kart is awesome, and Selena Gomez is my waifu, and nobody else's

#46 Posted by Trail_Mix (2021 posts) -

Video games need more fan service.

#47 Posted by stereointegrity (10700 posts) -

resident evil is dead

fallout was boring

borderlands 2 is the best fps for last gen

bf4 is so bad and a waste of time

Dualshock 4 is better then the xbone controller

waffles>>>>>>>>>>>pancakes

Wii U is Dead. Ninty has lost their touch

#48 Posted by FragTycoon (6430 posts) -

"Unpopular Opinions:"

Your opinion doesn't matter.

#49 Edited by mems_1224 (46492 posts) -

Dark Souls is incredibly boring.

Bioshock was a shitty ass game aside from that one good twist and Infinite is superior in every possible way.

Skyrim is the best game this gen.

Fallout 3>New Vegas. Vegas was boring, broken and the story is overrated.

Witcher 2 is a solid 7/10, the combat in that game is horrible.

Journey sucks.

Infamous 2 was a shitty repetitive game

Tomb Raider is the best Uncharted game this gen

Gears 1 and 2 are HORRIBLE games.

Killzone 2 has some of the worst controls in the history of FPS games

The UI/skill trees/inventory management in Mass Effect 2 and 3(despite being simple and limited) are way better than the clusterf*** UI and RPG elements in ME1.

MGS4 sucks dick.

Wind Waker is one of the worst Zelda games. So is Twilight Princess.

#50 Posted by whiskeystrike (12068 posts) -

Final Fantasy is still kicking it. XIII may have been a bit of a stumble but it's still a decent game, just not a solid Final Fantasy game. X, XII and XIV were all dope (specially XII, one of my favorite games of all time) and I look forward to the series continuing.

Namco Bandai has some of the worst dev practices out there (one of the first console companies to include microtransactions in game) and they're incredibly guilty of rehashing the Tales series but I love that cheesy crap so I'll keep throwing them my money.

Both LoL and DotA 2 are excellent games. I love playing both and have no problem switching back and forth between the two.

There has still yet to be a SRPG that has topped Fire Emblem 7 though Tactics Ogre: LUCT and FF: WotL gave it a run for its money.

Rhythm games are incredibly underappreciated.

I personally can't stand the people who constantly bitch about how gaming isn't what it used to be or how other gens were much better though I secretly agree.

Gaming is fun. There's something about the Internet that draws out the negativity in people and makes them so damn critical of games. Going by half the comments I read on here and other forums I'm led to believe people don't really like gaming that much.