Unity game engine might be going for sale

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

http://www.cnet.com/news/unity-one-gaming-development-platform-to-unite-them-all-up-for-sale/

The rumor start up again that the company might be looking for a buyer.

At some point, other companies tried to aquire them, but it didn't go. Big names for current buyers might be Amazon and MS

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4575 Posts

I hope it isn't true. I love the support it gets and the business model is great for aspiring developers.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

Unity engine is terrible. I hope someone buys it and makes it better. All the games I have played have been disappointing in the performance department.

There are plenty of other, better engines if you don't want to be a real programmer and code your own engine. That's the best part of game development anyway!

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

@pyro1245 said:

Unity engine is terrible. I hope someone buys it and makes it better. All the games I have played have been disappointing in the performance department.

There are plenty of other, better engines if you don't want to be a real programmer and code your own engine. That's the best part of game development anyway!

Why re-invent the wheel every time you build a new car or re-invent the camera when you want to take a photo? Games engines remove at least 1.5 to 2 years from a games development cycle, it has nothing to do with being a 'real' programmer

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

@GarGx1: Engine development usually takes the shortest amount of time in the dev cycle and you'll have more control and understanding of the capabilities. What takes so long is coming up with a concept and creating all the assets (which is usually why my projects end prematurely, i don't want to create all those models/sprites, textures, etc...). It's definitely a preference and I understand that some people don't want to do the grunt work but the game often ends up better for it.

It's not so much reinventing the wheel as there are enough libraries (such as SDL or SFML) to get you up and running pretty quick. It's not like you have to program all the model and texture loading stuff. Using the car analogy though, If you're gonna build an awesome car, you need to give attention to wheel design.

Plus it's more fun. Also if it's not your first game and you are a good programmer you will likely have all sorts of object code you can reuse.