UK Advertising Watchdog bans Wii U TV commercial

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Enforcedspot (2915 posts) -

Nintendo made a big thing about the Wii U being able to switch gameplay from your TV to your Wii U GamePad. It seems that this function, rather than being universal, is limited to a select few games. It is not something that is enabled by default, rather it's something that games developers have to program into the game

UK Advertising watchdog, the ASA received a complaint about this and are moving to ban a TV advert that implies that this is a universal function available to all games. The ad stated 'Say someone wants to watch TV when you're halfway through a game ... do both, and everyone's happy'.

Nintendo in their defence claimed that the advert showed many features of the Wii U, not all of them universal and that consumers would understand that these features would vary from game to game.

The ASA took the view that, as this was a new console consumers would not be aware that the ability to switch gameplay to the GamePad was not available in all games. The ad implied that this was a general feature of the Wii U console and concluded that the ad was misleading.

The full Adjudication notice can be seen here - http://www.asa.org.uk/Rulings/Adjudi...DJ_211917.aspx

http://www.wii-consoles.co.uk/articles/asa-bans-wii-u-tv-advert.asp

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=508606

#2 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (26357 posts) -

To fix this, they should just put words on there that says "Does not Apply to All Games."

#3 Posted by SuperFlakeman (7411 posts) -

Which games don't have off-tv play?

#4 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (26357 posts) -

SuperFlakeman

Probably talking about games like Nintendo Land.

You need both the TV and Gamepad for it.

#5 Posted by nintendoboy16 (28045 posts) -
Whoops! Here's hoping Ninty fixes that.
#6 Posted by SuperFlakeman (7411 posts) -

[QUOTE="SuperFlakeman"]

LegatoSkyheart

Many games and modes in NL can be played on the screen itself though , eh whatever.

#7 Posted by g0ddyX (3914 posts) -

Caught red-handed.

#8 Posted by charizard1605 (61571 posts) -

SuperFlakeman
Nintendo Land doesn't have it, I think. You should know, you own the system :P Anyway, like Legato said, just put a 'Feature May Not Be Available For All Software' disclaimer at the bottom, and it should be fine.

Caught red-handed.

g0ddyX
Lol. Idiot.
#9 Posted by burgeg (3599 posts) -

This is a very valid complaint. Even I thought it was standard for every Wii U game to have this feature. If even I thought that, it's no wonder the average consumer that doesn't go to game websites on a regular basis thought that.

#10 Posted by NoodleFighter (7858 posts) -

NINTENDO IS DOOMED!

#11 Posted by jer_1 (7451 posts) -

The dumbf#cks at nintendo just need to MAKE THIS A STANDARD FEATURE. Problem solved, now get back to damn work nintendo...

#12 Posted by joel_c17 (2982 posts) -
I think apple does similar things with their iphone and ipad adds. They show stuff on their adds that you cant do on their ipads. I want a wii u but im too poor to buy one atm :( saving for a house is hard when new consoles come about :P
#13 Posted by OB-47 (10909 posts) -

I thought it was universal too.

#14 Posted by V3rciS (2206 posts) -

NINTENDO IS DOOMED!

NoodleFighter

i like ur boobs

#15 Posted by ConanTheStoner (7541 posts) -

Caught red-handed.

g0ddyX

Yeah, guilty as sin! I hope they give Nintendo the chair and I hope all the families affected by this monster get to watch.

#16 Posted by g0ddyX (3914 posts) -

[QUOTE="SuperFlakeman"]

charizard1605

Nintendo Land doesn't have it, I think. You should know, you own the system :P Anyway, like Legato said, just put a 'Feature May Not Be Available For All Software' disclaimer at the bottom, and it should be fine.

Caught red-handed.

g0ddyX

Lol. Idiot.

Takes an idiot to fall for the 'waffles' too. lol

#17 Posted by ConanTheStoner (7541 posts) -

The dumbf#cks at nintendo just need to MAKE THIS A STANDARD FEATURE. Problem solved, now get back to damn work nintendo...

jer_1

Yeah, not sure if serious, but that would defeat the purpose of the controller altogether. Any game that truly utilizes the controller in meaningful ways kind of requires you have the controller AND a TV.

So it makes sense that this is something left up to developers.

As a previous poster mentioned, they should just have a quick disclaimer and be done with it.

#18 Posted by Nintendo_Ownes7 (30917 posts) -

[QUOTE="SuperFlakeman"]

LegatoSkyheart

Not really it depends on the game in Nintendo Land.

You can easily play DK Crash Course, Balloon Trip Breeze, Legend of Zelda: Battle Quest, Metroid Blast, and Pikmin without the TV.

#19 Posted by II_Seraphim_II (20508 posts) -

To fix this, they should just put words on there that says "Does not Apply to All Games."

LegatoSkyheart
You know? such a simple fix. I dont understand why ninty even tried to defend it. I would just say "ok, we're gonna add a disclaimer" and thats that. Move on with my life. Go buy a beer, chill.
#20 Posted by BIOKILLER123 (587 posts) -

LegatoSkyheart

My thoughts exactly.

#21 Posted by Sushiglutton (5530 posts) -
They had me fooled :(. I thought the Wii-U just streamed the image to the pad, so it was universal.
#22 Posted by locopatho (20986 posts) -
They had me fooled :(. I thought the Wii-U just streamed the image to the pad, so it was universal.Sushiglutton
Samesies
#23 Posted by charizard1605 (61571 posts) -
[QUOTE="Sushiglutton"]They had me fooled :(. I thought the Wii-U just streamed the image to the pad, so it was universal.locopatho
Samesies

Some games use the pad specifically for gameplay, so you can't stream those because the games require two screens. It's stupid, I know, but it is how it is.
#24 Posted by FastEddie2121 (3081 posts) -

So this is what next gen looks like?

so. much. fail.

#25 Posted by zmbi_gmr (3577 posts) -

jer_1

Agreed, and while they are at it add support of the pro controller to all games. Seriously, NSMBU should have pro controller support.

#26 Posted by ArchoNils2 (6238 posts) -

While it's pretty stupid to belive that you can play games on the gamepad alone that use both screens (like ZombiU) I was pretty sure I heard somewhere you can play Wii games on the gameplad without the Tv which actually was one purchase reason. I still love my Wii, but it would have been nice to play some Wii games I haven't finished while my gf watches Tv. Now I just play other games :D

#27 Posted by Timstuff (26837 posts) -

Tom Cruise is the UK Government

jzjeqs.gif

#28 Posted by ConanTheStoner (7541 posts) -

[QUOTE="locopatho"][QUOTE="Sushiglutton"]They had me fooled :(. I thought the Wii-U just streamed the image to the pad, so it was universal.charizard1605
Samesies

Some games use the pad specifically for gameplay, so you can't stream those because the games require two screens. It's stupid, I know, but it is how it is.

I dont think its stupid. Its the concept the system was built around. The main idea of the platform. Being able to stream a full game to the pad is just an added bonus for games that don't fully utilize the pad. How I see it anyways.

#29 Posted by Nintendo_Ownes7 (30917 posts) -

[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="locopatho"] SamesiesConanTheStoner

I dont think its stupid. Its the concept the system was built around. The main idea of the platform. Being able to stream a full game to the pad is just an added bonus for games that don't fully utilize the pad. How I see it anyways.

If the developers don't focus on the Gamepad for gameplay features by default the gamepad streams what is already on the TV.

#30 Posted by SuperFlakeman (7411 posts) -

They had me fooled :(. I thought the Wii-U just streamed the image to the pad, so it was universal.Sushiglutton

The point of the gamepad is to come up with ideas that take advantage of the fact that you have two screens, so for games that truly take advantage of the new tech to spawn new gameplay, they use both screens which means no off-TV play.

.... this is basic stuff we've known since Nintendo shows tech demos at E3 2011.

OK if you are average Joe, but this is a gaming forum. We are supposed to be the people in the know, actively searching for information to make informed decisions, not be reliant on a company's marketing. This is a 8th gen home console and you basically don't know anything about it.

#31 Posted by ConanTheStoner (7541 posts) -

[QUOTE="ConanTheStoner"]

[QUOTE="charizard1605"] Some games use the pad specifically for gameplay, so you can't stream those because the games require two screens. It's stupid, I know, but it is how it is. Nintendo_Ownes7

If the developers don't focus on the Gamepad for gameplay features by default the gamepad streams what is already on the TV.

Yep.

#32 Posted by locopatho (20986 posts) -

[QUOTE="Sushiglutton"]They had me fooled :(. I thought the Wii-U just streamed the image to the pad, so it was universal.SuperFlakeman

The point of the gamepad is to come up with ideas that take advantage of the fact that you have two screens, so for games that truly take advantage of the new tech to spawn new gameplay, they use both screens which means no off-TV play.

.... this is basic stuff we've known since Nintendo shows tech demos at E3 2011.

OK if you are average Joe, but this is a gaming forum. We are supposed to be the people in the know, actively searching for information to make informed decisions, not be reliant on a company's marketing. This is a 8th gen home console and you basically don't know anything about it.

Hey when even the forum goers are confused, that's Nintendo's problem. From the time they anounced up to now, they've been really bad at just saying what the hell it is and how it works. Even on games websites and shop websites there's often a "Wii and WiiU" section, smushed together as if they are just the same thing with an addon or whatever. They really need to be clearer about seperating the two imo.
#33 Posted by ConanTheStoner (7541 posts) -

[QUOTE="SuperFlakeman"]

[QUOTE="Sushiglutton"]They had me fooled :(. I thought the Wii-U just streamed the image to the pad, so it was universal.locopatho

Hey when even the forum goers are confused, that's Nintendo's problem. From the time they anounced up to now, they've been really bad at just saying what the hell it is and how it works. Even on games websites and shop websites there's often a "Wii and WiiU" section, smushed together as if they are just the same thing with an addon or whatever. They really need to be clearer about seperating the two imo.

I get the Wii/WiiU confusion. They really should have either used a different name, or done a much better job differentiating it to the public eye.

But I have no clue how somebody could not understand the uses of the controller. I understood it from the get go. Obviously the sole purpose of the controller wasn't to simply stream games while someone is watching TV. Its just a nice side feature for games that don't fully utilize the pad in gameplay.

If you're a gamer and you still dont get this then I dont know what to say really.

#34 Posted by locopatho (20986 posts) -

[QUOTE="locopatho"][QUOTE="SuperFlakeman"]

ConanTheStoner

I get the Wii/WiiU confusion. They really should have either used a different name, or done a much better job differentiating it to the public eye.

But I have no clue how somebody could not understand the uses of the controller. I understood it from the get go. Obviously the sole purpose of the controller wasn't to simply stream games while someone is watching TV. Its just a nice side feature for games that don't fully utilize the pad in gameplay.

If you're a gamer and you still dont get this then I dont know what to say really.

Because they've made it a really big selling point that you can turn off the TV and keep playing, any ad I've seen or hype piece I've read all say that, and I never saw (selected titles only), it's just an unclear message imo. And confusion really turns people off a product.
#35 Posted by JohnF111 (14122 posts) -
I actually thought it was available on all games. :| Guess there's reason for the ban after all, I was expecting some silly reason like most of these idiotic complaints.
#36 Posted by ConanTheStoner (7541 posts) -

[QUOTE="ConanTheStoner"]

[QUOTE="locopatho"] Hey when even the forum goers are confused, that's Nintendo's problem. From the time they anounced up to now, they've been really bad at just saying what the hell it is and how it works. Even on games websites and shop websites there's often a "Wii and WiiU" section, smushed together as if they are just the same thing with an addon or whatever. They really need to be clearer about seperating the two imo.locopatho

Because they've made it a really big selling point that you can turn off the TV and keep playing, any ad I've seen or hype piece I've read all say that, and I never saw (selected titles only), it's just an unclear message imo. And confusion really turns people off a product.

Well you're absolutely right on that last bit. People want a clear cut message, nothing vague.

I suppose I'm giving the consumer too much credit though. And I guess Nintendo is as well. You would think it would be obvious to people that if a game requires both screens to provide the gameplay experience then it certainly wont just magically work on one screen.

This topic is an eye opener for sure, I had no idea people were confused about this at all.

#37 Posted by SuperFlakeman (7411 posts) -

[QUOTE="SuperFlakeman"]

You didn't really refute my point:

"We are supposed to be the people in the know, actively searching for information to make informed decisions, not be reliant on a company's marketing."

#38 Posted by Sushiglutton (5530 posts) -

SuperFlakeman

"We are supposed to be the people in the know, actively searching for information to make informed decisions, not be reliant on a company's marketing."

:lol: what the f are you talking about? I have no intention to buy wii-u for the moment and lol at this being an expert forum. I just like to talk a little smack about games.
#39 Posted by HalcyonScarlet (5232 posts) -

OB-47

Same.

Nintendos in the wrong here imo.

#40 Posted by Cherokee_Jack (32198 posts) -

SuperFlakeman
The Rayman Legends and ZombiU demos did not have it, as far as I could tell.
#41 Posted by ConanTheStoner (7541 posts) -

[QUOTE="OB-47"]

HalcyonScarlet

Same.

How could you guys not get this? What exactly did you think would happen in regards to a game that REQUIRES two screens for play? And last, did you guys think that Nintendo actually went through all this trouble with a new controller JUST so you could play a game while someone watches the set?

These are not rhetorical questions, I seriously want to know what you guys were thinking.

#42 Posted by locopatho (20986 posts) -

SuperFlakeman

Lol no. It's not my job to do research. It's Nintendo's job to make that clear in their ads/hype/previews.
#43 Posted by locopatho (20986 posts) -

[QUOTE="HalcyonScarlet"]

[QUOTE="OB-47"]

ConanTheStoner

Same.

How could you guys not get this? What exactly did you think would happen in regards to a game that REQUIRES two screens for play? And last, did you guys think that Nintendo actually went through all this trouble with a new controller JUST so you could play a game while someone watches the set?

These are not rhetorical questions, I seriously want to know what you guys were thinking.

I thought that every game would be playable with the tablet features turned off, and possibly with remote + Nunchuk combo instead of the tablet. Didn't think about it too deeply, doesn't make much sense to have to code two ways of playing a game, but that's the impression the ads gave me anyway.
#44 Posted by PCgameruk (1512 posts) -

Sony done the same thing with remote play. I got my Vita and didn't have any games that worked with it.