Uh-oh. Plants vs. Zombies 900p on XB1

• 128 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by Locutus_Picard (3975 posts) -

When questions ended and the handler from EA asked Lindley if he had anything to add to the conversation, Lindley offered that he received clarification from the dev team regarding what resolution Garden Warfare runs at on the Xbox One.

Lindley found, “after sending a quick note” to his team, that the game is “actually internally at 900p.” He added, again, that he could confirm that point for us.

The day a fucking Plants vs. Zombies game can't run in 1080p on your console is the day you should ditch it for a Ps4.
Lemmings on suicide watch.

Yes I know, this will be the last resolution topic, at least from me, for a while. It's beating a dead horse by now.

#2 Edited by Dreams-Visions (26569 posts) -

beaten by seconds!

#3 Edited by musicalmac (22662 posts) -

Lindley found, “after sending a quick note” to his team, that the game is “actually internally at 900p.” He added, again, that he could confirm that point for us.

What does that mean? I just don't know what that means. Does that mean that it's 900p during development and that it'll be released at 900p?

#4 Edited by I_can_haz (6459 posts) -

This is just getting ridiculous now. Sad thing is that there are some lems that still believe a new SDK and drivers will fix this. How delusional do you have to be to believe that kind of shit? Xbone is a weakass POS console confirmed.

#5 Edited by Locutus_Picard (3975 posts) -

What does that mean? I just don't know what that means. Does that mean that it's 900p during development and that it'll be released at 900p?

They confirmed not to hit 1080p though...who knows...972p on launch? :P

#6 Posted by Dreams-Visions (26569 posts) -

It means that the game renders at 900p before being upscaled for 1080p displays using the One's internal scaler. Every One game that is below 1080p is upscaled to 1080p by a scaler to fill the entire screen.

#7 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (12804 posts) -

Flower Power! Who could have predicted this game was so demanding.

#8 Posted by musicalmac (22662 posts) -

@Dreams-Visions @Locutus_Picard I see.

It still doesn't make sense to me, why would MS release a console that can't handle these titles at the resolution that has become standard on all televisions in the past few years? It makes such little sense, in fact, that it makes me wonder what it is we're missing. How could they choose so poorly the internals of the Xbox One?

It's so ridiculous that there has to be something we don't know. Right?

#9 Edited by tyloss (829 posts) -

This is just...... Sad.

#10 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (12804 posts) -

It still doesn't make sense to me, why would MS release a console that can't handle these titles at the resolution that has become standard on all televisions in the past few years? It makes such little sense, in fact, that it makes me wonder what it is we're missing. How could they choose so poorly the internals of the Xbox One?

Nothing really makes sense about the xbone.

#11 Posted by silversix_ (13577 posts) -

In 2015 and later every Indie/Arcade title on X1 will be in 720p/900p because the system cannot handle even Indie titles. Really sad overpriced console we got in our hands.

#12 Edited by Riverwolf007 (23395 posts) -

oh no! oh god no! i'm off to slash my wrists now in a steamy hot tub of water because how can i live in a world where a game is in 900p resolution?

how i ask you?

how???

HOW!?!?!?!?!?!?

#13 Posted by GoldenElementXL (2570 posts) -

I can't wait until console gamers don't care about how many p's there are like last gen.

#14 Posted by Locutus_Picard (3975 posts) -

@musicalmac: They went all-out on a dying fad called TV and it shows. It's just pure incompetence, even I expected a better showing...not an overclocked Wii U.

#15 Edited by Shottayouth13- (6690 posts) -

Shit. Even the Wii U could run a game like that at 1080p. Some next gen power.

#16 Posted by Dreams-Visions (26569 posts) -

I don't know either, my friend.

I really don't know how they failed to properly target 1080p in a world where 1080p is the standard.

#17 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (12804 posts) -

@Riverwolf007 said:

oh no! oh god no! i'm off to slash my wrists now in a steamy hot tub of water because how can i possible live in a world where a game in in 900 resolution.

how i ask you?

how???

HOW!?!?!?!?!?!?

You will never experience the joy of Flower petals, in full HD. That's truly a world I never want to experience.

#18 Posted by shawn30 (4290 posts) -

This is just getting ridiculous now. Sad thing is that there are some lems that still believe a new SDK and drivers will fix this. How delusional do you have to be to believe that kind of shit? Xbone is a weakass POS console confirmed.

Even though the new SDK is barely a few weeks old and this game has been in development for some time? Dude, things always improve as time passes. Ryse and Quantum Break look amazing. Again, if you chose to not believe the dev Rebellion who has his game running at 1080p and says the new sdk is why then we can't debate the point cause you will be saying a dev with the actual kit in front of him is lying. Then again, knowing you. you'll do just that, lol.

#19 Edited by musicalmac (22662 posts) -

@musicalmac said:

Nothing really makes sense about the xbone.

It also seems, according to what I'm reading, that Kinect still doesn't work well enough for prime-time. I haven't tried the new one myself, but if reports are true, I would not have built the Xbox One experience in a roadblock named Kinect.

#20 Edited by I_can_haz (6459 posts) -
@shawn30 said:

@I_can_haz said:

Even though the new SDK is barely a few weeks old and this game has been in development for some time? Dude, things always improve as time passes. Ryse and Quantum Break look amazing. Again, if you chose to not believe the dev Rebellion who has his game running at 1080p and says the new sdk is why then we can't debate the point cause you will be saying a dev with the actual kit in front of him is lying. Then again, knowing you. you'll do just that, lol.

Please just stop with the lame damage control. Even Don Mattrick has given up....

#21 Posted by Alucard_Prime (2605 posts) -

ok.....other threat closed, so I'm gonna add this here....this is a 12 vs 12 online competitive game, 3rd person, running on Frostbite 3 engine. Apparently it will run at 60 fps. Considering all this info, why would you assume that 1080p native? Perhaps there's going to be so much stuff happening onscreen that they scaled back the res to maintain 60 fps, or perhaps there's another reason, I don't know, but I don't see why this news is "shocking"......game looks like insane fun in any case, this small difference in res. won't matter to those who were wanting to buy it.

#22 Posted by Heil68 (42654 posts) -

Surprised a game like it cant be made 1080. :(

#23 Posted by musicalmac (22662 posts) -

@musicalmac: They went all-out on a dying fad called TV and it shows. It's just pure incompetence, even I expected a better showing...not an overclocked Wii U.

You may be right. It's not the first time MS has invested in something as it's on its way out...

@musicalmac said:

I don't know either, my friend.

I really don't know how they failed to properly target 1080p in a world where 1080p is the standard.

1080p is the standard for televisions, higher resolutions have been standard in many homes for quite some time. 1440p is the standard in my home. Titanfall looked gorgeous on 27" of that.

I don't think either console is worth a purchase yet, and it's just disappointing that even down the line, the Xbox One is harder to justify simply because you can't count on games to look as good as they could utilizing your television's native resolution. So far, neither console has enough to justify a purchase. It's going to take a long, long time... Ironically, Titanfall is the only one. But if you've got a reasonably new computer, you probably don't need the One anyways...

#24 Posted by I_can_haz (6459 posts) -

ok.....other threat closed, so I'm gonna add this here....this is a 12 vs 12 online competitive game, 3rd person, running on Frostbite 3 engine. Apparently it will run at 60 fps. Considering all this info, why would you assume that 1080p native? Perhaps there's going to be so much stuff happening onscreen that they scaled back the res to maintain 60 fps, or perhaps there's another reason, I don't know, but I don't see why this news is "shocking"......game looks like insane fun in any case, this small difference in res. won't matter to those who were wanting to buy it.

#25 Posted by StormyJoe (4577 posts) -

I_can_Haz calling someone else delusional... HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!

#26 Posted by Desmonic (12666 posts) -

Eh. These kind of news are starting to become less and less "news worthy" since they just seem to be the norm, not the exception.

#27 Edited by shawn30 (4290 posts) -

@shawn30 said:

@I_can_haz said:

Please just stop with the lame damage control. Even Don Mattrick has given up....

Everything to you is damage control. Have you ever had a reasonable conversation with anyone on this board, or do you intend to troll every thread with the same dickhead comments? Then again, looking at your posting history, I already answered my own question. If I'm quoting a multiplat dev who is using the new SDK and he feels 1080p is going to become easier at the very least to achieve on the One, how in the hell is that damage control? You can have the last word if you want. Talking to you is like talking to a brick wall, lol.

#28 Posted by Jankarcop (8827 posts) -

Dat' console hardware.

Oh and lol leave it to xbox to turn PvZ into a shooter.

#29 Posted by I_can_haz (6459 posts) -

@I_can_haz said:

I_can_Haz calling someone else delusional... HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!

Are you gonna cry again in this thread?

#30 Edited by super600 (29954 posts) -

I have a funny feeling that the xbox one can run a game like this game at 1080P.I don't think this game is really going to push the console.I could be wrong.

#31 Posted by nini200 (9383 posts) -

Shockingly this is one game I actually do want lol

#32 Edited by Desmonic (12666 posts) -

@shawn30 said:

Still doesn't change the fact that MS messed up with the console. Either that or Sony really did pull an ace out of their sleeve with the PS4's hardware. Either is fairly plausible without inside knowledge on what/how/why these two consoles came to be. These new SDK's should have been there sooner IMO, there is no reason the X1 should not be able do 1080p with these early gen titles. It's a bit weaker than the PS4, but not THAT much to justify these differences...

---

Regardless this game is gonna be awesome! Just looks like pure, simple (and cute) fun :P Hope it doesn't take too long to reach other platforms (I think it's just timed, not a full exclusive right?).

#33 Posted by _Matt_ (8764 posts) -

Sigh

#34 Posted by Alucard_Prime (2605 posts) -

@shawn30:

hehe lol.....best thing you can do with full-fledged trolls like that is completely ignore them. I'm sure he/she must laugh everytime he/she sees you replying to one of those stupid GIFs, it's just bait, wouldn't waste my time.

#35 Edited by kuu2 (6795 posts) -

@shawn30 said:

@I_can_haz said:

You are expecting a rational conversation with a die hard Cow???? A dev actually said this and yet Sony Fan just ignores it as if it is some rumor about the SDKs.

Dude, you know better.

On topic.

Like I do in all reso threads who cares...........

I want to see if the game is good or not and resolution is way down the list what makes a game great.

I am actually looking forward to this game because The One version has a coop offline mode that will be great for the kids and I. Hopefully it is good. My main problem is that this game launches just 15 days away from Titanfall and I know once that comes out almost no other game will get play time.

#36 Edited by nyzma23 (887 posts) -

so what ? the game is good can't spot the difference anyway sorry cow you need to wait 6 month for that 900p game

#37 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (5885 posts) -

Damn looks like the ONE is getting better with age. I'm gonna miss the old "lol 720p".

#38 Edited by pelvist (4466 posts) -

We have a product for people who cant play their games at 1080p, its called PS4

...or even better, a PC.

#39 Edited by silversix_ (13577 posts) -

2013, BF4, 720p, 64players, humongus maps. 2014, Battlefield: Acceptable Garden Edition, 900p, 24players, last gen standard map size. Some consoles evolve with time, others devolve and lie about performance gain with their drivers.

#40 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16053 posts) -

Flower Power! Who could have predicted this game was so demanding.

It's not, devs have just stopped putting effort into optimizing for the Xbone.

#41 Edited by silversix_ (13577 posts) -

What's gonna be really juicy is if they push the Bone for Halo 5 and the thing is 720p. Now that will be interesting.

#42 Edited by PrincessGomez92 (3225 posts) -

Only the cows care.

#43 Posted by noodlevixen (476 posts) -

@_Matt_: Sadly SW has become resolution wars as of late. Le sigh

#44 Posted by delta3074 (17596 posts) -

When questions ended and the handler from EA asked Lindley if he had anything to add to the conversation, Lindley offered that he received clarification from the dev team regarding what resolution Garden Warfare runs at on the Xbox One.

The day a fucking Plants vs. Zombies game can't run in 1080p on your console is the day you should ditch it for a Ps4.

Lemmings on suicide watch.

Yes I know, this will be the last resolution topic, at least from me, for a while. It's beating a dead horse by now.

i wouldn't jump too quickly, a lot of those silly little arcade games can actually be more rescource intensive than most mainstream titles. take cafe world for example, rubbish graphics with simplistic 'diner dash' style gameplay yet it can max an intel core2dou at 100% CPU usage and uses 500MB of RAM, my system can play L4D2 at max settings but it stuttered like hell when my wife used to play Cafe world

Granted my system uses on board graphics but it has a next generation intel sandybridge dual core,5GB of RAM.

#45 Edited by SolidTy (41494 posts) -

PvZ isn't what I'd call a cutting edge graphics intensive game...hmmm.

This doesn't bode well for such a new machine. I know it's a timed deal as it was announced, so I can already imagine the selling point EA marketing is going to stress once this title branches out on other machines (once timed 'exclusive' contract ends).

#46 Posted by IamAdorable (381 posts) -

I saw the other thread got locked. So, yes. This is... surprisingly not at 1080P.

#47 Posted by lostrib (31585 posts) -

If true, that's hilariously bad...unless PvZ is made by Crytek

#48 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (12804 posts) -

I saw the other thread got locked. So, yes. This is... surprisingly not at 1080P.

Best sig ever.

#49 Posted by delta3074 (17596 posts) -

ever heard of console optimisation? improvements to Software and even developer tools can in fact improve hardware performance, take the Ps3 for example, in the beginning the main problem 3rd party developers had was the lack of useable RAM on the PS3 due to a bloated OS, SONY lowerd the OS and gave back developers more useable RAM, more useable RAM=increased hardware performance, when SONY introduce EDGE tools this also increased hardware performance because developers where able to code using less rescources.

Obviously the XB1 will nor close the Gap in power with the Ps3 But not being as powerful as the PS4=Weak POS is just one of the lamest statements really, it may be weaker than the Ps4 but it is still a very powerful console.

Your argument that not as good as something else=Crap doesn't really work in the real world.

Besides, it's games that determine which console is the best not power, just look at the Ps1 and Ps2, nowhere near the strongest consoles in there generation but still trounced the competition, why? superior games library.

#50 Posted by misterpmedia (3362 posts) -

@lostrib said:

If true, that's hilariously bad...unless PvZ is made by Crytek

LOL WHAT?!

Apart of me wants to fast forward a bit to august where games for the xbone are still coming out as 720p and 900p so I can chuckle at all these hopefuls who keep talking about the updated SDK.