Ubisoft Absolutely Frightened of Backlash Against Watch Dogs

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Posted by charizard1605 (55955 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@DrTrafalgarLaw said:

Second Son looks on par, if not slightly a little better than the E3 2013 trailer of Watch Dogs. There is no reason it should look like a PS3 game on PS4. This just might be the biggest bait & switch ever done.

One would think Xbox One development gimped the visuals in the game, since every previous footage was on PS4 before a glimpse of Xbox One version was shown. But I'm going to go ahead and say it's probably a mix of both Ubisoft's ineptitude and XB1 development.

Once. Fucking. Again:

@charizard1605 said:

Fucking hell.

No. No it is not. Neither is the Wii U, nor Xbox 360 or PS3. You know why? Because Assassin's Creed IV was on all these systems too, and it looked amazing.

Did the same AC:IV team develop Watch Dogs?

Some overlap, but no.

So it's down to the development team's ineptitude, instead of any hardware holding the game back.

#52 Edited by k2theswiss (16598 posts) -

down grade is pretty big. Sure we all know what they show off is maxed out on pc but thats sorta huge

#53 Edited by leandrro (801 posts) -

@hanman9 said:

I know it's a visual downgrade, but saying 'no purchase' at this stage is purely jumping the gun. I mean it could still be an absolutely brilliant game.

But, i s'pose these days it's more about the visuals than gameplay for many people. I mean it could play amazing but coz the reflections on a car are scaled back... Nah... Ill pass.

Lol, gamers these days.

no immersive visuals no immersive gameplay,

try getting immersed with minecraft realism

#54 Posted by millerlight89 (18347 posts) -

God you people are some of the whiniest gamers on the planet. Is it a downgrade? Yes. Is it PS2 level? No. Nothing but hypocritical bs in here. "Graphics don't matter, it's the gameplay."........"God those graphics such, fuck this game." laughable.

#55 Posted by DrTrafalgarLaw (4440 posts) -

@DrTrafalgarLaw said:

@charizard1605 said:

@DrTrafalgarLaw said:

Second Son looks on par, if not slightly a little better than the E3 2013 trailer of Watch Dogs. There is no reason it should look like a PS3 game on PS4. This just might be the biggest bait & switch ever done.

One would think Xbox One development gimped the visuals in the game, since every previous footage was on PS4 before a glimpse of Xbox One version was shown. But I'm going to go ahead and say it's probably a mix of both Ubisoft's ineptitude and XB1 development.

Once. Fucking. Again:

@charizard1605 said:

Fucking hell.

No. No it is not. Neither is the Wii U, nor Xbox 360 or PS3. You know why? Because Assassin's Creed IV was on all these systems too, and it looked amazing.

Some overlap, but no.

So it's down to the development team's ineptitude, instead of any hardware holding the game back.

Then explain to me how all previous footage running on PS4, on actual confirmed PS4 hardware, looks way better almost a year ago? It doesn't make any sense. I doubt Microsoft is forcing parity of some kind, but I can see them just porting over the Xbox One version to PS4 mid-development.

#56 Posted by hanman9 (371 posts) -
#57 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (6955 posts) -

The game looks fine. I'm a lot more worried about the gameplay devolving into a crappy collectathon like Assassin's Creed than I am about the graphics not being next gen enough.

#58 Posted by charizard1605 (55955 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@DrTrafalgarLaw said:

@charizard1605 said:

@DrTrafalgarLaw said:

Once. Fucking. Again:

@charizard1605 said:

Fucking hell.

Some overlap, but no.

Then explain to me how all previous footage running on PS4, on actual confirmed PS4 hardware, looks way better almost a year ago? It doesn't make any sense. I doubt Microsoft is forcing parity of some kind, but I can see them just porting over the Xbox One version to PS4 mid-development.

• Game unveiled at E3 2012, looks amazing. Shown running on PC hardware
  • First time it is shown on PS4 hardware, looks downgraded from E3 2012
  • First time it is shown on XB1 hardware, looks downgraded from E3 2012, but on par with the PS4 version
  • Game delayed because its scope is considered repetitive. Probably the game becomes bigger and vaster, but to accommodate that, the graphics take a massive hit across systems.

Does that make sense?

#59 Posted by Solid_Max13 (3527 posts) -

There's no way the downgrade was this dramatic... That's a different game all together.

The first one is so wow... WTF is that second thing it looks like NFS from 2005 tell me that's not real...So disappointed.

#60 Posted by Masculus (2830 posts) -

There's no way the downgrade was this dramatic... That's a different game all together.

WTF?!

#61 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (13366 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@DrTrafalgarLaw said:

@charizard1605 said:

@DrTrafalgarLaw said:

@charizard1605 said:

@DrTrafalgarLaw said:

Once. Fucking. Again:

@charizard1605 said:

Fucking hell.

Some overlap, but no.

• Game unveiled at E3 2012, looks amazing. Shown running on PC hardware
  • First time it is shown on PS4 hardware, looks downgraded from E3 2012
  • First time it is shown on XB1 hardware, looks downgraded from E3 2012, but on par with the PS4 version
  • Game delayed because its scope is considered repetitive. Probably the game becomes bigger and vaster, but to accommodate that, the graphics take a massive hit across systems.

Does that make sense?

Do we have any estimate on how big the virtual Chicago they made is?

#62 Posted by locopatho (20177 posts) -

The game looks fine. I'm a lot more worried about the gameplay devolving into a crappy collectathon like Assassin's Creed than I am about the graphics not being next gen enough.

All open world games have optional collectables. You were never made to get them?

#63 Posted by musicalmac (22895 posts) -
@shawn30 said:

@musicalmac: Are we certain the new trailer was from the 360/PS3 or ONE/PS4? Cause if thats the next gen one Good God...

No, I don't know 100% for sure because it seems like too much to be true. But if it really IS true, that's a special kind of bad.

#64 Posted by kinectthedots (1612 posts) -

just for kicks let's compare it to Second Son, a game revealed much later than Watchdogs

People's reaction to seeing new Watchdog footage

People's reaction to seeing new Infamous SS

#65 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (6955 posts) -

@PurpleMan5000 said:

All open world games have optional collectables. You were never made to get them?

It's pretty much all you do in AC4, though. The campaign isn't very good, and you are left collecting, be it animus pieces, treasure maps, or ships for your fleet minigame, until you get bored and decide to play something better.

#66 Edited by Bread_or_Decide (17310 posts) -

Was never hyped for Assassin's Dogs. These open world games just bore me. After GTAV I learned my lesson. No more of this crap for me.

#67 Edited by killatwill15 (845 posts) -

everyone has been waiting for confirmation,

but it was confirmed yesterday that this was the ps4 version

#68 Posted by donalbane (16189 posts) -

Do we have confirmation that this new .gif is legit PS4?

#69 Posted by finalfantasy94 (26314 posts) -

Man thats pretty bad downgrade.

#70 Edited by hrt_rulz01 (5750 posts) -

Don't get why people get so hyped so far in advance. Stuff like this happens all the time?

Yeah exactly. Ridiculous.

#71 Edited by I_can_haz (6551 posts) -

I'll wait for more footage before I jump to conclusions. I refuse to believe the downgrade was that dramatic. That's a generation's worth of difference in that GIF.

#72 Posted by juarbles (801 posts) -

Like usual the Xbone and the xboners dumbing down gaming for everyone else. Developers should start ignoring those anti-gamers.

#73 Posted by dommeus (9221 posts) -

I think I'll wait before passing judgment. Because people knee jerk and end up looking like idiots.

welcome to system wars

#74 Posted by killatwill15 (845 posts) -

@locopatho said:

Don't get why people get so hyped so far in advance. Stuff like this happens all the time?

Yeah exactly. Ridiculous.

only with ubisoft, hence,

don't trust em, fuck em, free game?

duck em

#75 Posted by Heil68 (43397 posts) -

I think I'm going to wait to see what the final game looks like, hopefully not like that gif.

#76 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (10284 posts) -

In a way, Ubisoft should be glad people like TC are bitching about their games. Now their names are right up there with Activision and Electronic Arts, and Capcom.

Thats fucking Progress ! And the more you hate it the more it will sell, or is it the other way around ? Either way prepare for milkage !

#77 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (10284 posts) -

In a way, Ubisoft should be glad people like TC are bitching about their games. Now their names are right up there with Activision and Electronic Arts, and Capcom.

Thats fucking Progress ! And the more you hate it the more it will sell, or is it the other way around ? Either way prepare for milkage !

#78 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16294 posts) -

God you people are some of the whiniest gamers on the planet. Is it a downgrade? Yes. Is it PS2 level? No. Nothing but hypocritical bs in here. "Graphics don't matter, it's the gameplay."........"God those graphics such, fuck this game." laughable.

There is a huge difference between : 'waaaaah, we want better graphics'

and 'hey, we were promissed current gen visuals, and we get something that looks marginally better than GTA V'

If Ubisoft didn't overhype the graphics as much, I would have no problem with how it looked now. So yeah, the backlash (and complaining) is completely Ubisofts fault.

#79 Posted by AcidTango (529 posts) -

If it was really downgraded like that then it really is the biggest downgrade to a game ever. I mean wow the previous trailer and the current one are like day and night. I mean before the city and cars looked very detailed now the roads look blurry and the cars look awful with both lacking details In fact it looks more like a 6th gen game then a 7th gen and it was suppose to be a show case for the 8th gen.

#80 Posted by Chutebox (36570 posts) -

I refuse to believe that is the game running on the new systems.

#81 Edited by Xaero_Gravity (8708 posts) -

Yes it's a downgrade, but glorified PS2 game? I think you're forgetting what open world games looked like back then.

#82 Edited by Mr-Kutaragi (1926 posts) -

Sleeping Dog look better not joking. What happen to this game. GTA5 shit on this from last gen.

#83 Posted by DerekLoffin (8753 posts) -

I watched the video again and the more I look, the more at least the car section (which is by FAR the worst looking part) seems like it encountered a bug or something and a lot of the effects shut off. Another part of the video has the same car and it looks much closer to the E3 display. The jump portion though is just terrible.

#84 Posted by lglz1337 (3124 posts) -

nUBI F***** with us now we F*** with you nUBI

#85 Posted by locopatho (20177 posts) -

Yes it's a downgrade, but glorified PS2 game? I think you're forgetting what open world games looked like back then.

It doesn't look like an open world PS2 game but maybe a Need For Speed PS2 game?

#86 Posted by jimmyjammer69 (12195 posts) -

To be fair, you can't blame the dev team for the constraints they have to work under. If the look of the game has to be toned down a bit to keep the scale of the game at the PC level, then that's still a great achievement.

#87 Edited by Zaibach (13444 posts) -

They should be afraid, very afraid Ubi have gotten into this horrible habit of showing something and delivering something completely different. They did it with FC3 and this too.

Gaf is currently tearing WD a new B hole and long may it continue, they must learn

#88 Posted by Xaero_Gravity (8708 posts) -
#89 Posted by XboxDone74 (2047 posts) -
#90 Edited by locopatho (20177 posts) -

@Xaero_Gravity: and yet comparable to the watchdogs downgrade I think

#91 Posted by Toxic-Seahorse (4117 posts) -

This just shows how much weight people put on graphics. There's a big backlash because the graphics got downgraded. The gameplay? Who gives a shit about that, did you see the graphics? Come on people, there is more to a game than graphics.

If you people don't like the graphics, just don't buy the game. It's not like you got scammed. You can still cancel your pre-orders and not buy the game. All this whining for nothing is ridiculous.

#92 Posted by Xaero_Gravity (8708 posts) -

@Xaero_Gravity: and yet comparable to the watchdogs downgrade I think

I mean, the footage from the trailer yesterday didn't look anywhere near that bad. It certainly wasn't on par with the reveal and with Second Son, but it still looked good in my opinion. This gif shot just looks terrible. Hopefully it's just an isolated instance.

#93 Posted by Kevlar101 (6052 posts) -

Haha they lost their shit over this.

#94 Posted by kinectthedots (1612 posts) -

@kinectthedots: oh god thats epic lol!

Yea, it seems I have found a new set of gifs for Infamos SS from new footage that haven't been shown before. HNNNNNG (still have a few I am looking at)

#95 Posted by AznbkdX (3120 posts) -

Wow... that is a fairly noticeable downgrade. I could attribute it to the lights (and lightning on the bridge?) making it look way worse in motion, but it's clear as day that everything is off on it from environment to car model.

#96 Edited by Jankarcop (8976 posts) -

Thats the difference between console and PC.

#97 Posted by locopatho (20177 posts) -

@musicalmac said:

Thats the difference between console and PC.

Stop lying.

#98 Posted by Jankarcop (8976 posts) -

Ban bet that watchdogs looks a lot better on consoles than pc?

#99 Posted by jimmyjammer69 (12195 posts) -

Oh man, that gif is making me nostalgia for the original Midtown Madness so badly.

#100 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26258 posts) -

I'm no graphics whore by any means, but... what the hell?