Ubisoft Absolutely Frightened of Backlash Against Watch Dogs

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by charizard1605 (54385 posts) -

Yesterday Ubisoft announced the release date of the much anticipated open world hacking game Watch Dogs. Finally, after a long delay the game will be released across current and next-gen consoles on May 27th. But something was missing.

According to several users, the game didn’t look as sharp as when it was first shown at E3 2012. This resulted in backlash from the community and to make matters worse, the PS4 and Xbox One are rumored to have different resolutions, with the former reportedly running at 1080p compared to the latter which runs at 960p.

Industry insider Ahsan Rasheed, who goes by the name “thuway” on NeoGAF, says that everything is far from rosy at Ubisoft. “Heard folks internally at Ubisoft are absolutely frightened because backlash against Watch Dogs was much stronger than anyone anticipated.”

Rasheed also didn’t believe that console gamers were setting their expectations too high. “Have you seen the Order? Ryse? Shadow Fall? Looks next gen to me. Oh and did I forget, Second Son?”

He continued by tweeting that, “My expectations are in line, the game was built around a foundation that just isn’t what I personally expect from a next gen game.”

What are your thoughts? Does Watch Dogs feel like a significant step down from what was initially promised? Or is this all irrelevant when it comes to the gameplay? Let us know your thoughts in the comments. Watch Dogs will be releasing for PS4, Xbox One, PS3, Xbox 360 and PC, with the Wii U version out later.

SOURCE

Well, they fucking should be. We got what far and away looked like the first real next gen game when Watch Dogs was first revealed, what we have now looks like a glorified PS2 game. That's not even hyperbole, and it makes me very sad (and worried about The Division).

#2 Posted by silversix_ (13553 posts) -

Very nice.

#3 Posted by clyde46 (43519 posts) -

Downgrade confirmed?

#4 Posted by locopatho (20041 posts) -

Don't get why people get so hyped so far in advance. Stuff like this happens all the time?

#5 Posted by charizard1605 (54385 posts) -

Don't get why people get so hyped so far in advance. Stuff like this happens all the time?

People got hyped because they were shown something that was promised to be in game in engine footage, and looked like an indication of a next gen game. They were strung along for three years, and then they got a downgrade that was almost two generations down. Of course they're pissed now.

#6 Edited by IgGy621985 (4556 posts) -

Can't wait for damage control and other counter arguments from Ubisoft.

#7 Edited by musicalmac (22657 posts) -

There's no way the downgrade was this dramatic... That's a different game all together.

#8 Edited by locopatho (20041 posts) -

@locopatho said:

People got hyped because they were shown something that was promised to be in game in engine footage, and looked like an indication of a next gen game. They were strung along for three years, and then they got a downgrade that was almost two generations down. Of course they're pissed now.

Well I mean ok get hyped about the concept, but aren't the specific graphics and such nearly always prerenders and "targets" and all that crap? I only ever believe Rockstar screenies and videos.

And won't the PC version be just as awesome as ever? Correct me if I'm wrong.

#9 Posted by charizard1605 (54385 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@locopatho said:

Well I mean ok get hyped about the concept, but aren't the specific graphics and such nearly always prerenders and "targets" and all that crap? I only ever believe Rockstar screenies and videos.

No on all counts.

A downgrade on this level has almost never happened- I mean, sure, the final game (in terms of non Nintendo or non Rockstar products) will almost always have some downgrades, but this is literally like I said, more than a generation down.

And no, the PC version suffered a downgrade too.

#10 Posted by XboxDone74 (2047 posts) -

No worries if youre a ps4 owner. We got a lock on the real next gen open world title with Infamous.

#11 Posted by VendettaRed07 (13998 posts) -

This games downgrade is LEGENDARY

Right up there with others like Red Steel. Here l was thinking that Red Steel's downgrade was untouchable

#12 Edited by clyde46 (43519 posts) -

There's no way the downgrade was this dramatic... That's a different game all together.

PS4 vs 360?

#13 Posted by GarGx1 (2381 posts) -

With console only gamers having been forced fed 'next gen' graphics by PC gamers for coming on a couple of years now, not surprisingly they correctly want and expect the new consoles to just a capable.

Hard to say who's to blame though. It could be Sony or MS for not up'ing the game enough in terms of hardware in consoles, developers not being rehearsed enough with the new hardware, or some developers still worrying about games needing to run on the old consoles and not having the budget to scale the game for all of them (though with a PC version of Watchdogs scaling should be no issue at all). Some of the games are looking good, as listed in the quote, but they still have limitations either in resolution, frame rate, textures, lighting or even all of the above being compromised on. Even The Order is allegedly going to be 1920 x 800 once screen bordering is taken into account and that's a PS4 only game (I think!).

The only way we'll know how badly Watchdogs has been affected is to see how the game looks and runs on a high end PC and compare it to the next gen consoles (I doubt we'll need to wait long for that after release)

#14 Edited by kinectthedots (1492 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

Downgrade confirmed?

Confirmed.

The only question is, is this the biggest downgrade ever?

#15 Posted by musicalmac (22657 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

@musicalmac said:

PS4 vs 360?

Perhaps I misinterpreted the GIF. My mistake if true.

#16 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38155 posts) -

Not only visually but they said recently they delayed the game because it was too repetitive at first. I have no high hopes for this game when it comes out

#17 Posted by clyde46 (43519 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

Downgrade confirmed?

Confirmed.

Please tell me thats the PS3 version.

#18 Edited by Boddicker (2272 posts) -

My hype-meter was always at zero for Watch Dogs.

Fuck Ubisoft.

#19 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16043 posts) -

There would be no backlash if Ubisoft didn't overhype the graphics like that.

Not to this extent.

Not only visually but they said recently they delayed the game because it was too repetitive at first. I have no high hopes for this game when it comes out

I was interested in the story. But it looked bad too, judging from the last trailer. I was interested in seeing Aidan become the hacker that he does and it's basically 'here's this phone that can do awesome things.'

#20 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16043 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

@musicalmac said:

PS4 vs 360?

That gif is comparing footage from how Watch Dogs initially looked to how it looks now on PS4.

Yeah, you read that right it's not the PS3/360 version. It's footage from the preview that Gamespot did of the PS4 version. :(

#21 Edited by madskills6117 (4020 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

@musicalmac said:

PS4 vs 360?

Perhaps I misinterpreted the GIF. My mistake if true.

From my understanding that downgraded image is from the ps4 version. Hence the reason why people are up in arms over this.

#22 Posted by locopatho (20041 posts) -

@locopatho said:

@charizard1605 said:

@locopatho said:

No on all counts.

A downgrade on this level has almost never happened- I mean, sure, the final game (in terms of non Nintendo or non Rockstar products) will almost always have some downgrades, but this is literally like I said, more than a generation down.

And no, the PC version suffered a downgrade too.

Ill defer to your knowledge. Sad.

#23 Edited by lostrib (31520 posts) -

do remember that this game was originally supposed to release in november. So people were hyped about it then

#24 Posted by locopatho (20041 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@locopatho said:

do remember that this game was originally supposed to release in november. So people were hyped about it then

FAir point.

#25 Posted by Epak_ (6761 posts) -
#26 Posted by Harisemo (4132 posts) -

So damn sad when devs make a beautiful looking game and a bunch of spoilt gamers take a dump on them because it doesn't live up to their unrealistic expectations.

#27 Posted by clyde46 (43519 posts) -
@R4gn4r0k said:

@clyde46 said:

@musicalmac said:

PS4 vs 360?

That gif is comparing footage from how Watch Dogs initially looked to how it looks now on PS4.

Yeah, you read that right it's not the PS3/360 version. It's footage from the preview that Gamespot did of the PS4 version. :(

What.... the..... fuck.......

#28 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (12793 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

@clyde46 said:

@musicalmac said:

PS4 vs 360?

Really? That's goddamn laughable, it looks like gta 4 now.

Even if the weakest link is holding them back that's some shitty platform scaling. They don't just have a rock tied to their foot, it's a boulder apparently.

#29 Posted by Harisemo (4132 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

Downgrade confirmed?

Confirmed.

Rain + still car vs no rain + moving car? seriously?

#30 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16043 posts) -

@clyde46:

Even if the weakest link is holding them back that's some shitty platform scaling. They don't just have a rock tied to their foot, it's a boulder apparently.

Perhaps it would have turned out better if it was only on current gen systems and PC. We'll never know.

This is the video from which the gif is from : http://www.gamespot.com/videos/how-hacking-brings-chicago-to-life-in-watch-dogs/2300-6417535/

This is the written preview stating it's from PS4: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/hacking-and-hentai-one-ridiculous-hour-in-the-watch-dogs-sandbox/1100-6418125/

#31 Posted by locopatho (20041 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

@clyde46:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

Perhaps it would have turned out better if it was only on current gen systems and PC. We'll never know.

This is the video from which the gif is from : http://www.gamespot.com/videos/how-hacking-brings-chicago-to-life-in-watch-dogs/2300-6417535/

This is the written preview stating it's from PS4: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/hacking-and-hentai-one-ridiculous-hour-in-the-watch-dogs-sandbox/1100-6418125/

Its strange because I thought AC4 looked really good on PS4, even though it was a "cross gen" game. Maybe there is more to this than cross gen stuff?

#32 Posted by Shewgenja (7928 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

@clyde46 said:

@musicalmac said:

PS4 vs 360?

WOW! I am so glad I didn't preorder this game. Ubisoft can go climb a wall of dicks for this.

#33 Posted by DerekLoffin (8730 posts) -

My best guess is the original visuals were heavily helped by a couple effects that are now completely absent or seriously downgraded. The lighting for instance looks... well terrible. I don't think people exaggerate when they say it is something that looks almost PS2 like. I don't know what the devil they did exactly but what is truly puzzling is AC IV looks better and not only is it an earlier release, it had all the same development constrain (cross gen, multiple platforms and so forth). Then you look at something like I:SS and this is just... *sigh*. Hopefully the actual game holds up but the visuals certainly didn't.

#34 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (12793 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

@clyde46:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

Its strange because I thought AC4 looked really good on PS4, even though it was a "cross gen" game. Maybe there is more to this than cross gen stuff?

Possibly moneyhatting.

#35 Posted by shawn30 (4288 posts) -

@musicalmac: Are we certain the new trailer was from the 360/PS3 or ONE/PS4? Cause if thats the next gen one Good God...

#36 Edited by R4gn4r0k (16043 posts) -

True, AC4 did look great on all platforms.

But then again, I think all the AC games look great :D

#37 Posted by DocSanchez (1395 posts) -

I think I'll wait before passing judgment. Because people knee jerk and end up looking like idiots.

#38 Posted by Netret0120 (1886 posts) -

AC4 on my PS3 looks better. They aren't getting my money.

#39 Posted by Supabul (3855 posts) -

They downgraded the graphic's so it could run in 1080p on PS4

#40 Posted by clyde46 (43519 posts) -

Welp, I actually preordered this today. Guess what I'm doing tomorrow.

#41 Posted by Boddicker (2272 posts) -

@Supabul said:

I'm a cow and this might actually be true, though more likely the X1 is the main culprit here.

#42 Posted by charizard1605 (54385 posts) -

@Supabul said:

I'm a cow and this might actually be true, though more likely the X1 is the main culprit here.

Fucking hell.

No. No it is not. Neither is the Wii U, nor Xbox 360 or PS3. You know why? Because Assassin's Creed IV was on all these systems too, and it looked amazing.

#43 Posted by hanman9 (364 posts) -

I know it's a visual downgrade, but saying 'no purchase' at this stage is purely jumping the gun. I mean it could still be an absolutely brilliant game.

But, i s'pose these days it's more about the visuals than gameplay for many people. I mean it could play amazing but coz the reflections on a car are scaled back... Nah... Ill pass.

Lol, gamers these days.

#44 Posted by zeeshanhaider (2207 posts) -

teh powah of teh next-gen consololes and they said consololes won't hold back PC gaming. *sigh*

#45 Edited by DrTrafalgarLaw (4440 posts) -

Second Son looks on par, if not slightly a little better than the E3 2013 trailer of Watch Dogs. There is no reason it should look like a PS3 game on PS4. This just might be the biggest bait & switch ever done, hype the absolute shit out of the visuals of a supposed next-gen game, then just months before release showcase GTAV-like graphics...did they really think we'd go; "Oh...but it still looks awesome!"

One would think Xbox One development gimped the visuals in the game, since every previous footage was on PS4 before even a glimpse of Xbox One version was shown. But I'm going to go ahead and say it's probably a mix of both Ubisoft's ineptitude and XB1 development.

#46 Edited by charizard1605 (54385 posts) -

Second Son looks on par, if not slightly a little better than the E3 2013 trailer of Watch Dogs. There is no reason it should look like a PS3 game on PS4. This just might be the biggest bait & switch ever done.

One would think Xbox One development gimped the visuals in the game, since every previous footage was on PS4 before a glimpse of Xbox One version was shown. But I'm going to go ahead and say it's probably a mix of both Ubisoft's ineptitude and XB1 development.

Once. Fucking. Again:

Fucking hell.

No. No it is not. Neither is the Wii U, nor Xbox 360 or PS3. You know why? Because Assassin's Creed IV was on all these systems too, and it looked amazing.

#47 Posted by Ghost120x (3637 posts) -

Was never excited for the game anyway, and I wondered why people were so hyped. Ubisoft (sandbox type) games these days play too similar to each other and are getting boring imo.

#48 Posted by DrTrafalgarLaw (4440 posts) -

@DrTrafalgarLaw said:

Second Son looks on par, if not slightly a little better than the E3 2013 trailer of Watch Dogs. There is no reason it should look like a PS3 game on PS4. This just might be the biggest bait & switch ever done.

One would think Xbox One development gimped the visuals in the game, since every previous footage was on PS4 before a glimpse of Xbox One version was shown. But I'm going to go ahead and say it's probably a mix of both Ubisoft's ineptitude and XB1 development.

Once. Fucking. Again:

@charizard1605 said:

Fucking hell.

Did the same AC:IV team develop Watch Dogs?

#49 Edited by leandrro (680 posts) -

@kinectthedots said:

@clyde46 said:

Downgrade confirmed?

Confirmed.

i really want this not to be true

but lets check this comparison

its a close up vs far away shot ,

its also rain scene with reflections vs no rain scene

not a very fair comparison

#50 Posted by hanman9 (364 posts) -

I'd actually laugh if the Wii U was the definitive version.... All the gamepad features n all

I think ill wait n see what it's like. Could well be the best of dem all