ubi's worst first try... FC2-AC1-W_D?

• 67 results
#1 Posted by TheEroica (13527 posts) -

Ubisoft is a developer/publisher I've given alot of money to over the years and because of that I feel at least somewhat entitled to critique and disapprove of when they mess up...

Assassin's Creed 2 was amazing... totally crushed any apprehension we had over AC1... but AC1 still remains as a somewhat botched first attempt in the eye of gamers.(though I liked it)

Far Cry 3 was a GOTY contender and is almost universally praised for what it does... yet Far Cry 2, ubi's first attempt at the series is paned as a boring mess of an open world fps.

Then there is WatchDogs... sigh. A game that although functions well, offers nothing to the genre or modern gaming whatsoever and manages to be more drab and tired than some open world games of 5 years ago.

My question is, what was ubi's most vomit inducing kick off to these three highly successful franchises?

#2 Posted by Blabadon (26330 posts) -

For the five hours I played it I liked Ass Creed 1 quite a bit. I'm biased towards platformers, but it aged well

#3 Edited by GoldenElementXL (3197 posts) -

Watch Dogs gets my vote. Watch Dogs has some of the worst mission design I have ever experienced. Those stealth missions are just awful. Also cutting back the PC quality was a strange and dirty move. And I own it on PS4.

#4 Edited by lostrib (36953 posts) -

I would say FC2, there were so many cool ideas that just turned out so wrong

#5 Edited by with_teeth26 (6163 posts) -

I think W_D had enough variety to be enjoyable despite the poopy story. The stealth gameplay was really good. I also enjoyed FC2 for its setting and diagetic UI even though it got repetitive.

I'd say AC1, the platforming controls got annoying after a while and the combat was pretty broken. Plus it was repetitive as shit.

#6 Posted by padaporra (3417 posts) -

Sometimes I think Ubisoft just throw money and recourses at projects and forget to hire talented people. But then there are games like Far Cry 3 and Splinter Cell Blacklist that really shows that there are many talented people there.

#7 Posted by freedomfreak (40568 posts) -

Far Cry 2. I got quite a bit of enjoyment out of the first AC. Thank God, I replayed it, because I didn't like it the first time.

#8 Posted by TheEroica (13527 posts) -

@freedomfreak: wow... you replayed all of ac1 in its entirety? I really liked it first time through... I find the series almost wholely lacking in replayability though. Maybe it's because they come out too darn fast.

#9 Posted by SYSTEM-REBOOT (646 posts) -

@lostrib said:

I would say FC2, there were so many cool ideas that just turned out so wrong

Well, fact of matter is far cry 2 is actually good for a while unlike assassins creed which always been trash.

#10 Posted by IamAdorable (402 posts) -

I can't even finish watch dogs. I think that one. Atleast I could finish assassin's creed and far cry 2.

#11 Posted by uninspiredcup (8616 posts) -

Watchdogs was borderline unplayable for people even on the most powerful pc's with deliberate downgrading. It seems like the obviose choice.

#12 Posted by Floppy_Jim (25692 posts) -

Assassin's Creed was only dull and repetitive. The flaws within Far Cry 2 though, were outright malicious serving only to piss off the player. No fun allowed indeed. I can't be bothered with W_D so won't comment.

Ubi are a very mixed bag but I remain optimistic towards FC4 and AC: Unity.

#13 Posted by Couth_ (10125 posts) -

@GoldenElementXL said:

Watch Dogs gets my vote. Watch Dogs has some of the worst mission design I have ever experienced. Those stealth missions are just awful. Also cutting back the PC quality was a strange and dirty move. And I own it on PS4.

@with_teeth26 said:

I think W_D had enough variety to be enjoyable despite the poopy story. The stealth gameplay was really good. I also enjoyed FC2 for its setting and diagetic UI even though it got repetitive.

I'd say AC1, the platforming controls got annoying after a while and the combat was pretty broken. Plus it was repetitive as shit.

Someone is lying

#14 Posted by heguain (654 posts) -

FC2..Just Ew, really hated it. FC3 was like a heaven compared to it.

#15 Posted by TheEroica (13527 posts) -

@Couth_: cage match to determine the truth?

#16 Edited by ghostwarrior786 (4636 posts) -

not played ac1 but did unfortunately play fc2, my god its terrible. fc3 is the most overrated game i have played in some time, i have played it for 93min and cant take anymore

#17 Edited by pelvist (4803 posts) -

Definitely FC2, that game was abysmal and so disappointing.

#18 Posted by Ballroompirate (22905 posts) -

Have to go with AC1, holy crap have they just butchered this series cause outside of AC2 and AC4 the other games have been meh to bad. Far Cry 2 was actually pretty decent, the only annoying thing that kept bothering me was the respawning check points. As for Watch Dogs, I actually enjoyed it :/.

#19 Posted by dommeus (9312 posts) -

Far Cry 2. Gross

#20 Posted by david61983 (171 posts) -

Definitely Far Cry 2. FC3 was one of my 10 favorite games from this gen, but FC2 was awful.

#21 Posted by TheEroica (13527 posts) -

@ghostwarrior786: fc3 was glorious dude. What's not to like? Other than the ridiculous story of course, but it is ubi soooo....

#22 Posted by ghostwarrior786 (4636 posts) -

@TheEroica said:

@ghostwarrior786: fc3 was glorious dude. What's not to like? Other than the ridiculous story of course, but it is ubi soooo....

i hate levelling up in games, so far from what ive played it seems u have to explore and find plants and stuff, i just cant be bothered.

#23 Posted by geniobastardo (1294 posts) -

Far cry 2 all the way. That game sucked more balls than Sasha Grey.

#24 Posted by TheEroica (13527 posts) -

@ghostwarrior786: the first hour or so of the game is basically introducing you to what CAN be done, not MUST be done. Hunting and gathering in fc3 is actually very organic to the fun shooting/camp clearing bits. Different t animals roam different areas of the map and usually if you take a few down here and there you can cover all the upgrades within the natural progression of the sp. Yes some extra goodies make you invest a little more , but again fc3s strength is in its organization is approach to all its elements. Put ananother few hours into it if you get a chance. 90 minutes isn't enough time to hit a good flow in any open world game. When your a parachute suiting your way into a camp, blowing up outposts anD watching tigers chewing on the bad guys while you snipe them from the woods, all to steal a vehicle and drive away without a scratch you'll sat "ahhh I get it now"

#25 Posted by PCgameruk (1425 posts) -

FC2 fuk that shit

#26 Posted by adamosmaki (9620 posts) -

Any of those would qualify. AssCreed 1 and FC2 were boring and repetitive as hell while watch dogs was kinda decent game but various performance and other problems along with horrible driving and forgettable to say the least story made it a mess

#27 Posted by Cloud_imperium (3291 posts) -

Far Cry 2 , boring as hell . Took me like a month to finish just main objectives of the game . Forced myself to finish it . I was short on games back then , so I had no other choice but to torture myself with that game . Couldn't play the game for more ten minutes .

I enjoyed Assassin's Creed alot . I thought it was one of the best games in recent memory when I played it for first time .

@geniobastardo said:

Far cry 2 all the way. That game sucked more balls than Sasha Grey.

LOL .

#28 Edited by NUSNA_Moebius (42 posts) -

As bland as FC2 is, I actually like it quite a bit, probably more due to a sentimental feeling than anything. I did like the serious nature of it's story and overtones including the issues with PMCs, African resource wars, The Heart of Darkness, blood diamonds, etc. I think the gunplay and actual combat was fun but not as satisfying as other games but it was the guard posts that really pissed me off since they would just regenerate after killing off mercs or other enemies. FC3 was a little too crazy for it's own good, but certainly a better overall title than FC2.

#29 Edited by farrell2k (6088 posts) -

I like the Assassins creed games, but am I the only one who believes it could have been better without all the futuristic time travel nonsense, or whatever the hell it is?

#30 Posted by TheEroica (13527 posts) -

@farrell2k: I actually enjoyed the futuristic setting when it was glimpses into the mystery... when ubi started explaining it, the whole story turned to twice baked shit

#31 Posted by mems_1224 (47135 posts) -

I think both AC1 and FC2 were good first tries. I didn't like FC2 but it was a pretty ambitious game. I liked AC1, it wasn't a great game but idk why people give it so much shit. It wasn't bad like some of the later AC games.

#32 Posted by wis3boi (31375 posts) -

@with_teeth26 said:

gonna go with this. FC2 i still play just because it's fun setting shit on fire and jamming my guns. And W_D set a very interesting world for future games, especially considering current real world events.

#33 Posted by JangoWuzHere (16416 posts) -

Far Cry 2

I thought Assassin's Creed was a very unique game when it released. I think a lot of the stuff that game did right overshadowed the repetitve nature of the game.

#34 Edited by Macutchi (4091 posts) -

far cry 2 by a country mile.

with watch dogs i kind of expected some kind of assassin's creed-ified type game, along the lines of what they did with splinter cell and far cry 3, and with all the downgrade videos doing the rounds the fact it was very disappointing wasn't a huge surprise.

far cry 2 by crytek (before they turned to the dark side), especially after crysis and warhead, could have been ridiculously awesome

#35 Posted by Vatusus (4616 posts) -

@TheEroica said:

Then there is WatchDogs... sigh. A game that although functions well, offers nothing to the genre or modern gaming whatsoever and manages to be more drab and tired than some open world games of 5 years ago.

Thats stricktly your opinion. I'm enjoying WD very much. Best current gen game thus far for me. When it comes to sandbox is only surpassed by GTA and RDR imo.

On topic: AC1 was entertaining but more of a tech demo than really a full fledged game so that one is my answer. Never played FC2

#36 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38216 posts) -

FC2 was a pile of dog shit

#37 Posted by TheEroica (13527 posts) -

@Vatusus: you and I keep going round and round on watchdogs :P it's cool man, I respect your opinion too... I just felt, as we've discussed that the game offered nothing outside the common fare in everything it does.

Yes, this entire thread is opinion based... actually kind of interesting to read the different responses. FC2 seems to be Most maligned but the other 2 have their haters too.

#38 Edited by manny280 (1990 posts) -

Watch dogs was atrocious. Assassin's Creed was also disappointing because of how repetitive it was and the overhype, but it was still a decent game with good ideas. With watch dogs I literally had to force myself to finish the game. It had a terrible story, generic side missions, awful and unrewarding stealth design, dull and lifeless characters and world, inaccurate representation of Chicago, downgraded graphics, etc.

#39 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (16114 posts) -

I only have two Ubisoft games right now: Far Cry 3 and Watch Dogs. I like them both.

If Watch Dogs didn't came free with my video card, I probably wouldn't have bought it because of the problems some PCs are having with it. Mine's not one of them though.

It'll have to be the AC series for me. I like my (action) game environments current time or futuristic.

#40 Posted by CyberLips (1824 posts) -

Watch_Dogs because it was one of my most anticipated games and it turned to be such a disappointment. I liked Far Cry 2 but couldn't finish it because for some reason they thought that walking for 30 minutes to get to where you wanted to go was so much fun.

#41 Posted by charizard1605 (57666 posts) -

Watch Dogs was a disaster. Far Cry 2 and Assassin's Creed 1 were still fine games for their time, Watch Dogs has almost nothing redeeming.

#42 Edited by PrincessGomez92 (3572 posts) -

Don't know about the other two, but Assassin's Creed sucked. It was so repetitive, nothing changed throughout the game. It was the same missions constantly repeated, with the same dialogue, and you always had to do the same thing just to progress. And the AI had some frustrating issues. Apparently galloping on a horse is against the law, and they always seemed to know it was you when something happened. Oh, and how could I forget the damn beggars that follow you around and harass you, and they always single you out. They can easily mess you up while doing a mission.

#43 Posted by parkurtommo (27042 posts) -

Well AC1 takes my vote as the worst of the three, but I'm not going to say that any of them were bad at all. I liked all of these, especially Watch Dogs. I mean Watch Dogs was a great game as far as I'm concerned.

#44 Posted by parkurtommo (27042 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

Watch Dogs was a disaster. Far Cry 2 and Assassin's Creed 1 were still fine games for their time, Watch Dogs has almost nothing redeeming.

Dat bias. I mean even if you absolutely HATED the game you would still have to admit that the graphics are a redeeming factor (at least!).

#45 Edited by charizard1605 (57666 posts) -

@parkurtommo said:

@charizard1605 said:

Dat bias. I mean even if you absolutely HATED the game you would still have to admit that the graphics are a redeeming factor (at least!).

That is why I said 'almost nothing redeeming.' It's a nice tech demo, I suppose.

#46 Posted by BPoole96 (22800 posts) -

Assassin's Creed 1 was not a good game in any way you look at it. The world was impressive since the settings was pretty unique as far as vidoe games go, but the gameplay was so damn repetitive that I could not even finish it. Assassin's Creed 2 and Brotherhood were both really good games, but I'm burnt out of the series now and haven't played one since.

#47 Posted by getyeryayasout (7495 posts) -

I never played FC2, and I liked AC1 so I'm guessing it's going to be WD. I liked much of Watchdogs' gameplay and give the game a 7/10, but found the protagonist, story, and setting pretty uninspired and lacking. Add to that the fact that everything is marked and mapped out for you, and you have an open world game that's not worth exploring.

#48 Posted by Minishdriveby (9977 posts) -

Far Cry 2 isn't Ubisoft's first attempt at the franchise.

#49 Posted by TheEroica (13527 posts) -

@Minishdriveby: oh my good word I think you're right. Far cry predator was it?

#50 Edited by Minishdriveby (9977 posts) -

@TheEroica:

There was Far Cry: Instincts (2005) and then Far Cry Instincts: Evolution (2006)

Far Cry Instincts: Predator was a remake containing both.