Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

Ubi PR guy response:

We are aware that the graphics performance of Assassin’s Creed Unity on PC may be adversely affected by certain AMD CPU and GPU configurations. This should not affect the vast majority of PC players, but rest assured that AMD and Ubisoft are continuing to work together closely to resolve the issue, and will provide more information as soon as it is available.

http://wccftech.com/ubisoft-points-finger-amd-technical-bugs-assassins-creed-unity/#ixzz3IytcrAom

Unnamed developer response:

The game (in its current state) is issuing approximately 50,000 draw calls on the DirectX 11 API. Problem is, DX11 is only equipped to handle ~10,000 peak draw calls. What happens after that is a severe bottleneck with most draw calls culled or incorrectly rendered, resulting in texture/NPCs popping all over the place. On the other hand, consoles have to-the-metal access and almost non-existent API Overhead but significantly underpowered hardware which is not able to cope with the stress of the multitude of polygons. Simply put, its a very very bad port for the PC Platform and an unoptimized (some would even go as far as saying, unfinished) title on the consoles.

http://wccftech.com/ubisoft-points-finger-amd-technical-bugs-assassins-creed-unity/#ixzz3IywbIM6w

What happened with Mantle anyway?

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#2  Edited By speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14414 Posts

I blame bad performance and bugs of Unity on Ubisoft.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44545 Posts

If that's the case I'd challenge them on utilizing Nvidia's Gameworks developer support service. AMD reps brought this up months ago that this was going to cripple performance on non-Nvidia gaming devices because Nvidia was going to assist by tailoring the development of games around their technology.

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/173511-nvidias-gameworks-program-usurps-power-from-developers-end-users-and-amd

And to that point, we have this:

Loading Video...

This is why we can't have nice things.

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By BldgIrsh
Member since 2014 • 3044 Posts

Ya... So that could explain for consoles (basically stating it does have a shit CPU) but, that doesn't even explain the PC version at fucking all.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

Good thing I have a Intel CPU and a Nvidia GPU. You get what you pay for folks. There is a reason AMD products are always cheaper. And look at the quality consoles they made for us this generation. Thanks guys!

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6  Edited By BldgIrsh
Member since 2014 • 3044 Posts

@GoldenElementXL: You are aware that 980's with Intel CPU can't even run this game past high setting and aliasing off?

That's basically the minimum to run it on 60 Fps at 1080p... Still with occasional dips and crashing.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

If it was this once, maybe, but when was the last time big Ubi title was actually well-optimized on PC?

KarateeeChop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8  Edited By KarateeeChop
Member since 2010 • 4666 Posts

i heard they also had to downgrade the game on all platforms to accommodate for the ps4's graphical shortcomings.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

Kinda funny considering the game doesn't run that well even on modern i7's

Not exactly. In fact, Intel chips are considerably outperforming AMD chips on Unity, for some reason.

Regardelss, the game is simply unoptmized on all platforms and shows Ubshits incompetence.

The CPU in the consoles is very weak and is a bottleneck. However, considering the horrible frame rate and huge amount of bugs and glitchs, it's a case of Ubisoft bullshiting.

Shame too. This could have been the first proper "next gen" level multiplat.

leandrro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

#10 leandrro
Member since 2007 • 1644 Posts

@GoldenElementXL said:

Good thing I have a Intel CPU and a Nvidia GPU. You get what you pay for folks. There is a reason AMD products are always cheaper. And look at the quality consoles they made for us this generation. Thanks guys!

yeah, you pay more for less hardware from companies that bribe developers to make their hardware unrealistic superior

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

So they just ignore the architecture of all the consoles, make a game for them anyways, and then don't test for shit and turn around to blame the CPUs?

That's like screaming at a toaster oven for not running Pong. Ubisoft, do you even develop?

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46199 Posts

Damn AMD, why can't you let Ubisoft be lazy and push a game out the door without proper testing ?

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#13  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

So they did a terrible port. They fully knew the limitations of doing a lot of draw calls on DX11. Other devs get around them just fine using a variety of methods. Consoles have always been able to do more draw calls because they have much lower-level graphic APIs. That's always been a major bottleneck of DirectX. Microsoft is fixing that with DX12 allowing lower level access and increasing the amount of draw calls, but until then developers need to continue to adapt.

Hell they even have CPU bottlenecking on the consoles because even the consoles can't handle that many drawcalls. That's just sloppy programming.

They are also getting poor performance on Intel CPUs and Nvidia GPUs because of this. This isn't AMD's fault. They are trying to push the blame. They pushed the devs to unrealistic standards for their outdated tech (their engine is terrible). They have a new engine coming with The Division but the game is over a year out yet.

This screams poor Ubisoft management again. EA realized last generation their current tech wasn't going to handle it so they had DICE put a lot of effort into developing Frostbite 3 on as many platforms as possible then paid to keep it exclusive to EA's published games. This is a huge advantage for EA. Epic built the Unreal 4 engine and Cryteck continued to upgrade the CryEngine. Ubi on the other hand forced devs to upgrade existing engines and pump out games as fast as possible. EA allows DICE keep an entire team just working on the single engine. Hell even Ubisoft is doing this with Massive Entertainment.

I feel there is a huge split in Ubisoft's management. They make some good games (Far Cry 3) and some decent decisions (The Division being built on a new engine by Massive Entertainment) yet still pull shit like Watch_Dogs and Unity. I think the company may have gotten management heavy.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

Ubisoft have made so many Assassins Creed games, you had thought Ubi knew how to make this same game by now...

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

It's not AMDs fault that Ubisoft can't optimize their games. Instead of apologizing for this mess of a release, they start pointing fingers at others instead.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

What happened with Mantle anyway?

Mantle only works with AMD partnered games, and nvidia isn't interested in optimizing PC games for anyone but the highest end GPUs.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

I F*CKING LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE THIS COMPANY dc. No lemming can come close to the masters of DC!!!

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

@aroxx_ab said:

Ubisoft have made so many Assassins Creed games, you had thought Ubi knew how to make this same game by now...

You would think so, huh.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By R4gn4r0k

@Gue1 said:

For all we know people actually looked like that back then and Ubisoft just created the most realistic looking game ever.

B4X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By B4X
Member since 2014 • 5660 Posts

"What the **** did you just say to me ubisoft! I swim in your tears bitch!"

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By R4gn4r0k

@silversix_ said:

I F*CKING LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE THIS COMPANY dc. No lemming can come close to the masters of DC!!!

Yep.

"Damn, we can't fix these serious framerate dips"

"Uh, 24FPS is more cinematic anyway, you guys"

PapaTrop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 PapaTrop
Member since 2014 • 1792 Posts

Ubisoft has been terrible for years.

To the people who keep buying their games year after year; quit shitting on the hobby

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

Whats funny is it still looks/runs better on PC than consoles.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Totalbiscuit just canceled his "WTF is..." video on Unity because the game kept crashing. Pretty sure he uses Nvidia cards

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

Ubi failed everyone but the green team. Edit: I take that back they failed us all lol

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

UBI is fucking stupid, people with Intel CPU's and NVIDIA cards are getting the same shit.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

How can you blame AMD when a GTX 680 with a i7 can't play it on anything but low settings at still struggles to get past 40FPS?...

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

I remember when I'd get caught doing bad things as a kid and blame it on my friends.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By deactivated-583e460ca986b

@bldgirsh said:

@GoldenElementXL: You are aware that 980's with Intel CPU can't even run this game past high setting and aliasing off?

That's basically the minimum to run it on 60 Fps at 1080p... Still with occasional dips and crashing.

That's strange. I seem to be running the game maxed (minus AA) at 1440p with very playable frames. Yes there are drops but I am averaging well over 60fps.

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

How can you blame AMD when a GTX 680 with a i7 can't play it on anything but low settings at still struggles to get past 40FPS?...

What CPU are we talking here? Did you see that CPU benchmark above?

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

Looks like Nvidia Gameworks shitting up another game.

Next up is Farcry4 and Batman.

tubbyc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 tubbyc
Member since 2005 • 4004 Posts

Damn, sounds like Ubisoft messed up badly with this one. Hopefully they get it right with the next game. I was going to skip this one anyway, but Assassin's Creed 4 was great, and had no issues on my PS4.

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

wow ubidick cant even take responsibility for their mistakes. what dicks

RossRichard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 RossRichard
Member since 2007 • 3738 Posts

Translation: We at Ubisoft are incompetent at programming, BUT THE PROBLEM IS TOTALLY NOT OUR FAULT!!!

Ben-Buja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Ben-Buja
Member since 2011 • 2809 Posts

It's possible to run this at decent frames on PC, you just need beast hardware. The pop ins and NPC glitches are always there though (and it's the same on consoles, isn't it?)

Loading Video...

This is in Versaille though, Paris is more at ~50 fps average with these settings.

I think the problem is that the game doesn't scale down at all. Geometry detail and NPC count stays the same on all settings, just little clutter on the ground and grass is less with environment set to low, but lighting stays the same, textures can be lowered to be blurry but that doesn't help much, all MSAA involving AA methods are a huge performance hit due to the deferred engine. PBR is not something you can disable just like that (Not sure about that one)

Shadows are almost the same on high and low, just the draw distance is better on high.

Also, it would have been much smarter to lower the NPC amount and increase the LOD distance instead.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#37 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Translation: We were too lazy to properly optimize the game for all chipsets because we like money and don't care about gamers, so we skipped this particular one that is causing problems... and I guess we'll have to fix it.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13660 Posts

I thought consoles using an AMD APU would give AMD the advantage.

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 jhonMalcovich
Member since 2010 • 7090 Posts

@Wasdie said:

So they did a terrible port. They fully knew the limitations of doing a lot of draw calls on DX11. Other devs get around them just fine using a variety of methods. Consoles have always been able to do more draw calls because they have much lower-level graphic APIs. That's always been a major bottleneck of DirectX. Microsoft is fixing that with DX12 allowing lower level access and increasing the amount of draw calls, but until then developers need to continue to adapt.

Hell they even have CPU bottlenecking on the consoles because even the consoles can't handle that many drawcalls. That's just sloppy programming.

They are also getting poor performance on Intel CPUs and Nvidia GPUs because of this. This isn't AMD's fault. They are trying to push the blame. They pushed the devs to unrealistic standards for their outdated tech (their engine is terrible). They have a new engine coming with The Division but the game is over a year out yet.

This screams poor Ubisoft management again. EA realized last generation their current tech wasn't going to handle it so they had DICE put a lot of effort into developing Frostbite 3 on as many platforms as possible then paid to keep it exclusive to EA's published games. This is a huge advantage for EA. Epic built the Unreal 4 engine and Cryteck continued to upgrade the CryEngine. Ubi on the other hand forced devs to upgrade existing engines and pump out games as fast as possible. EA allows DICE keep an entire team just working on the single engine. Hell even Ubisoft is doing this with Massive Entertainment.

I feel there is a huge split in Ubisoft's management. They make some good games (Far Cry 3) and some decent decisions (The Division being built on a new engine by Massive Entertainment) yet still pull shit like Watch_Dogs and Unity. I think the company may have gotten management heavy.

So true. BF4 after all patching, runs on my PC on ultra, at 1440p and stable 60fps. Looks magnificent. Assassin Creed Unity runs only at 1080p and 40fps and I can not even dream of 1440p settings. AC U doesn't come even close to the BF4 visual quality.

SO what is next gen then ? Having worse graphics and poorer performance ?

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#40 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

Your GPU and CPU manufacturer don't matter when it comes to performancr in this game. Numerous people with Intel CPUs and Nvidia GPUs, myself included, have severe performancr issues.

TotalBiscuit said he could not achieve a consistent 60 FPS at 1080p with two GTX 980s running in SLI.

It's a poorly optimized game across all platforms.

murat8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#41  Edited By murat8
Member since 2006 • 10362 Posts

Does anyone know how long Unity was in development?

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#42 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

@GoldenElementXL said:

Good think AMD dominates in performance/value in pretty much every price point ( aside the $300+ market which is as good as nvidia )

http://www.techspot.com/guides/912-best-graphics-cards-2014/

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107.html

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-583e460ca986b

@princeofshapeir said:

Your GPU and CPU manufacturer don't matter when it comes to performancr in this game. Numerous people with Intel CPUs and Nvidia GPUs, myself included, have severe performancr issues.

TotalBiscuit said he could not achieve a consistent 60 FPS at 1080p with two GTX 980s running in SLI.

It's a poorly optimized game across all platforms.

He is either running an old CPU or full of it. I could see him trying to cater to his anger gamer audience.

I'm not saying this game is the most optimized thing ever, but it's not impossible to run the game well. Two 980's? I'm hitting an average of over 60 fps at 1440p with 2 Superclocked Titan Blacks. 980's are a little bet better than Titan Blacks but have less Vram. How can I be running a better framerate at a higher resolution? I'm calling B.S.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

@GoldenElementXL said:

@bldgirsh said:

That's strange. I seem to be running the game maxed (minus AA) at 1440p with very playable frames. Yes there are drops but I am averaging well over 60fps.

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

What CPU are we talking here? Did you see that CPU benchmark above?

GTX 680 with a i7 3820K... User on youtube has to play it on Low at 1920x1080 and can't get a sold 60FPs, averages 40-45FPS and dips to 20-30FPS a lot.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@GoldenElementXL said:

Dude are you listening to the crap you just say.?

Is not the same been beat cleanly performance wise than making a tool to basically screw up the competition in a very anti consumer way.

Intel has been accuse of the same shit,winning clean is not the same as screwing the other company to win,AMD GPU have nothing wrong is Nvidia and gameworks the problem.

@Wasdie said:

Why i ask my self is why AMD didn't use Mantle.?

Mantle can run 100,000 draw calls at 60FPS,Ubisoft really sucks.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By deactivated-583e460ca986b
@adamosmaki said:

@GoldenElementXL said:

Good think AMD dominates in performance/value in pretty much every price point ( aside the $300+ market which is as good as nvidia )

AMD is running as good as what?

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#47 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

@tormentos said:

Why i ask my self is why AMD didn't use Mantle.?

Mantle can run 100,000 draw calls at 60FPS,Ubisoft really sucks.

It's not really up to AMD if Mantle gets used, it's up to the developer. Mantle right only works well on newer AMD cards. I don't know if Nvidia cards could even run with a Mantle API. Furthemore, Mantle requires specific optimization for each card and probably CPU if it's going to be used properly. It requires a lot of developer time and overhead. If Ubisoft is forcing their devs to pump these games out after a bit over 2 years, they aren't going to have a lot of time to do the upgrades to the engine needed for the new features (like massive crowds, co-op multiplayer,) and upgraded renderer for the better graphics as well as the QA it would take for only a small amount of users to be able to use it.

Mantle is very much a pipe dream at this point. DX12 does a lot of what Mantle does but will be more general. It won't be as efficient because it's more broad, but it'll work on far more GPUs. Devs can confidently program their game with DX12 and know people can actually play the game. They don't have to program their graphics with 2 separate renderers

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

That looks like my face scan in 2K15

REKThard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 REKThard
Member since 2014 • 479 Posts
@GoldenElementXL said:
@adamosmaki said:

@GoldenElementXL said:

AMD Cards runs good on most games
ACU just screams bad optimization

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

@GoldenElementXL said:

Shit, those benchmarks are fucking terrible. I had to check if it was running 2160p.