Twitter Reveals Who REALLY Won E3

• 59 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Nintendo dominated social media conversation on Twitter at E3 2014, it has been revealed.

About 47% of all tweets sent out during last week's expo mentioned the gaming giant, according to social media intelligence analytics provider Crimson Hexagon.

Among the most popular tweets was one made by the official Nintendo of America handle, which teased famed designer Shigeru Miyamoto's appearance on an upcoming live broadcast.

Another was made by user @Dropkickpikachu, who tweeted: "Nintendo has just shown more playable female character's in one game preview than the other companies have all E3 so far."

The #Nintendo hashtag surfaced 30,000 times and #e32014 featured 55,000 times.

Meanwhile, PlayStation claimed 28% of the conversation, while Xbox trailed with 25%.

This is, of course, important for multiple reasons:

• Nintendo managed to break through to the mainstream with their format, as opposed to 'preaching to the choir' and 'catering only to their own fanbase' as so many were claiming that they were doing
  • Nintendo's E3 format has been vindicated- the digital event followed by a constant stream of gameplay playthroughs and reveals was a much better way to engage audiences at E3 than having one short press conference was
  • Nintendo made a good impression at E3 this year, and they now have audiences looking at them. Now that they are, you know, aware that the Wii U exists, Nintendo might (and probably will) find it easier to find their console.

SOURCE

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 45895 Posts

I really loved how Jim Sterling put it in his weekly Jimquisition:

Nintendo was showing off gameplay all week and didn't hide behind CGI and scripted gameplay demos or vertical slices constantly like some other publishers did. Which shows how confident Nintendo is in its gameplay and they don't need flashy stuff to attract people.

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#3 BldgIrsh
Member since 2014 • 3044 Posts

Bu bu but, sony has Uncharted 4 trailer with "in-engine" rendering trailers that shows cool bugs on faces...

In all seriousness no surprise Nintendo won. Their presentation was glorious.

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

Except, didn't Sony do livestreams throughout the week as well? (Maybe MS too idk)

I liked Nintendo's week long deeper look at certain games, but you'll never convince me a 45 min preproduced infomercial style video is somehow more progressive than getting your ass on stage and showing some live gameplay for 2-3x as long. It may look slick and feature some nifty elevator music, but it's souless.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@santoron said:

Except, didn't Sony do livestreams throughout the week as well? (Maybe MS too idk)

I liked Nintendo's week long deeper look at certain games, but you'll never convince me a 45 min preproduced infomercial style video is somehow more progressive than getting your ass on stage and showing some live gameplay for 2-3x as long. It may look slick and feature some nifty elevator music, but it's souless.

Sony's livestreams were actually the exact thing that you are describing- 45 min preproduced infomercial style videos, looking slick and featuring some nifty elevator music, but ultimately souless. You really should have seen Nintendo's Treehouse event. It was different, it was something else. And given all the praise that has been lavished upon Nintendo's format and showing for E3 this year, it ultimately did work.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41478 Posts

@charizard1605: It's like if the ND last year was a flawed experiment that came near perfection this year.

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By inb4uall
Member since 2012 • 6564 Posts

Praise based Nintengod.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@nintendoboy16 said:

@charizard1605: It's like if the ND last year was a flawed experiment that came near perfection this year.

That is exactly what it is. Last year they tried doing this and failed spectacularly. This year they got it right.

Avatar image for AK_the_Twilight
AK_the_Twilight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 152

#9 AK_the_Twilight
Member since 2008 • 286 Posts

I want Nintendo to do this kind of thing again next year. It's such a smart idea.

Lots of awesome surprises for the Wii U, a nice bit of humor with the Robot Chicken sketches and Iwata VS. Reggie fight, no potential for flubbing a live performance with "technical difficulties", and best of all, they kept the games coming even after the digital event was over. Nintendo had momentum throughout the entire show; they kept announcing games and showing real game footage throughout the entire week, and considering the hype dies down considerably after the press conferences are over, that's very impressive. You never knew what Nintendo would show next, but holy hell, they kept churning out awesome stuff to show us.

SonySoldier-_-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#10  Edited By SonySoldier-_-
Member since 2012 • 1186 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

Nintendo managed to break through to the mainstream with their format, as opposed to 'preaching to the choir' and 'catering only to their own fanbase' as so many were claiming that they were doing

Nintendo made a good impression at E3 this year, and they now have audiences looking at them. Now that they are, you know, aware that the Wii U exists, Nintendo might (and probably will) find it easier to find their console.

Does this mean the Wii U is going to start selling more now and keep Xbone in last place in sales?

nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts

So if a few million people posted "LOL Nintendo" on Twitter it counts as winning?

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

But how many of those tweets were about Nintendo being dead? ;)

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

@santoron said:

Sony's livestreams were actually the exact thing that you are describing- 45 min preproduced infomercial style videos, looking slick and featuring some nifty elevator music, but ultimately souless. You really should have seen Nintendo's Treehouse event. It was different, it was something else. And given all the praise that has been lavished upon Nintendo's format and showing for E3 this year, it ultimately did work.

I saw some of the week long coverage from both last week (in and out) and what I saw was largely the same: Booth/E3 floor style interview with a dev giving a rundown of "X" game from a demo booth. I'm sure there was much more, but Nintendo's main event was nothing more than an impersonal infomercial, and has hardly garnered the one sided praise you're portraying. Lots of chatter doesn't mean it was lots of good chatter. Wanna bet who was the most "Tweeted" last year? Because I'd go with MS, and there weren't many love letters in there.

I've seen just about everyone named an e3 winner by some blog or website by now, and I've seen nearly as many articles critical of Nintendo's showing as in praise of it. Polarizing might be the most charitable way to describe their e3, and it's one Nintendo "Invention" I don't think they have to worry about MS or Sony copying anytime soon. Week long continuing coverage is here to stay though. It's cheap to make and broadcast and feeds the gaming news monster that demands ever more information on games that are farther and farther away. It also gives time to some of the smaller efforts that you never hear about on the stage presentation... or the infomercial in Nintendo's case. ;P

I really don't think Nintendo had a bad show, because expectations were rock bottom, people have grown somewhat resigned to Nintendo doing their preproduced thing, and they showed Zelda, which always seems to placate fans for a while. I just don't see this as some rebirth/savior kind of moment. I think fans are enjoying a well deserved MK8 launched/e3 showed Zelda and Starfox vacation from the realities of the platform. Let's just say I don't think Nintendo is getting ready to revise sales expectations up from their very modest current projections, even with all them tweets.

SonySoldier-_-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SonySoldier-_-
Member since 2012 • 1186 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

Meanwhile, PlayStation claimed 28% of the conversation, while Xbox trailed with 25%.

Xbone last place in tweets. TLHBO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@santoron said:

@charizard1605 said:

@santoron said:

I saw some of the week long coverage from both last week (in and out) and what I saw was largely the same: Booth/E3 floor style interview with a dev giving a rundown of "X" game from a demo booth. I'm sure there was much more, but Nintendo's main event was nothing more than an impersonal infomercial, and has hardly garnered the one sided praise you're portraying. Lots of chatter doesn't mean it was lots of good chatter. Wanna bet who was the most "Tweeted" last year? Because I'd go with MS, and there weren't many love letters in there.

I've seen just about everyone named an e3 winner by some blog or website by now, and I've seen nearly as many articles critical of Nintendo's showing as in praise of it. Polarizing might be the most charitable way to describe their e3, and it's one Nintendo "Invention" I don't think they have to worry about MS or Sony copying anytime soon. Week long continuing coverage is here to stay though. It's cheap to make and broadcast and feeds the gaming news monster that demands ever more information on games that are farther and farther away. It also gives time to some of the smaller efforts that you never hear about on the stage presentation... or the infomercial in Nintendo's case. ;P

I really don't think Nintendo had a bad show, because expectations were rock bottom, people have grown somewhat resigned to Nintendo doing their preproduced thing, and they showed Zelda, which always seems to placate fans for a while. I just don't see this as some rebirth/savior kind of moment. I think fans are enjoying a well deserved MK8 launched/e3 showed Zelda and Starfox vacation from the realities of the platform. Let's just say I don't think Nintendo is getting ready to revise sales expectations up from their very modest current projections, even with all them tweets.

Of course, I am not saying that Nintendo's sales will shoot upwards solely because of their E3, they still have a long way to go in convincing people of the need or at least benefits of owning a Wii U; I am just saying that now that the system is in the public eye, which thanks to a good E3, and thanks to the successful Mario Kart 8 launch, it now is, they might find it easier to convince people of buying one. Since at least said people now know that it exists :p

OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By OhSnapitz
Member since 2002 • 19282 Posts

So we go from Eurogamer to Twitter now??? Tisk Tisk Char..

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

Nintendo has just shown more playable female character's in one game preview than the other companies have all E3 so far."

Ugh this line.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@OhSnapitz said:

So we go from Eurogamer to Twitter now??? Tisk Tisk Char..

It's not like Eurogamer hasn't already proclaimed Nintendo the winner, is it? It's not like I'm now making a separate point- that Nintendo's E3 did more than preach to the converted, it reached out to the mainstream as well- is it? It's not like you are, in fact, doing the exact same thing described in the GIF you so amusingly posted, is it?

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

The only thing i remember about nintendo's conference (if you can call it that) was Miibo, laughed so hard when this was announced instead of video games

Avatar image for FreedomFreeLife
FreedomFreeLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 FreedomFreeLife
Member since 2013 • 3948 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

Nintendo dominated social media conversation on Twitter at E3 2014, it has been revealed.

About 47% of all tweets sent out during last week's expo mentioned the gaming giant, according to social media intelligence analytics provider Crimson Hexagon.

Among the most popular tweets was one made by the official Nintendo of America handle, which teased famed designer Shigeru Miyamoto's appearance on an upcoming live broadcast.

Another was made by user @Dropkickpikachu, who tweeted: "Nintendo has just shown more playable female character's in one game preview than the other companies have all E3 so far."

The #Nintendo hashtag surfaced 30,000 times and #e32014 featured 55,000 times.

• Nintendo managed to break through to the mainstream with their format, as opposed to 'preaching to the choir' and 'catering only to their own fanbase' as so many were claiming that they were doing
  • Nintendo's E3 format has been vindicated- the digital event followed by a constant stream of gameplay playthroughs and reveals was a much better way to engage audiences at E3 than having one short press conference was
  • Nintendo made a good impression at E3 this year, and they now have audiences looking at them. Now that they are, you know, aware that the Wii U exists, Nintendo might (and probably will) find it easier to find their console.

SOURCE

So... it´s all about who mentioned one of 3 companies most.

So, this means Transformers is best movie of all time. GREAT

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#22  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

I dont think thats a win ... because twitter is just twitter ... With the same logic Why not gather Forums activity about the same thing ? How many posts and activity each big forums on each big site had over the 3 consoles / E3 period ? ... Because then wii U will be second max i assure you

Therefore , i dont think Twitter is a clear indicator who have won because with the same logic its second or even third on other social media sources

Avatar image for deactivated-609eda8a7edd0
deactivated-609eda8a7edd0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-609eda8a7edd0
Member since 2012 • 1173 Posts

NINTENDOMINATION! Seems like Nintendo have actually pulled their head out and realized that E3 is kind of a big deal and can have a huge benefit if you go out and wow people instead of boring them to death like previous years.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52418 Posts

No. Giantbomb did.

They managed to make the EA conference enjoyable.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#26 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@charizard1605: It's mostly americans that use twitter, so this is kind of irrelevant

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@charizard1605: Last year they said it was the time to get a Wii-U ... I always felt that was a lie...

But this year is 100% the time to get a Wii-U.... enough good games to justify the purchase.

Why have they confirmed the 3DS version of Smash's release but not the Wii-U though? -_-;

also, is mario party this year?

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

Personally, I really enjoyed the format. I had a tab open constantly listening to the the live stream for 3 days. It was quite fun having it play in the background while I worked, then if something caught my attention I'd flick over and watch it.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#29 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

Even the great Sean Malstrom was pleased for Nintendo doing the Treehouse Live Streams.

AmazonAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#30 AmazonAngry
Member since 2014 • 968 Posts

Want there already an official count on neogaf, and Sony won all categories?

stizzal13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 stizzal13
Member since 2013 • 609 Posts

Twittle-me-timbers! Nintendo is back!

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178793 Posts

That's just like your opinion man....

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

Nintendo > Sony > MS. Just like I said.

Avatar image for always_explicit
always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 always_explicit
Member since 2007 • 3379 Posts

If only tweets equalled sales.

applefan1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 applefan1991  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 3397 Posts

Sadly, I wasn't able to watch Microsoft or Ninty's conferences, work and all that crap. But from everything I've seen and read since then, I think this is one of the harder years to predict who wins. I think Microsoft has the better 2014 planned with the Halo Collection and Forza Horizon 2. But then 2015 is a toss up between Sony and Ninty with games like Zelda, Uncharted and The Order. All in all, us, the gamers won this E3

SexyJazzCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 SexyJazzCat
Member since 2013 • 2796 Posts

Just a bunch of boring games Nintendo can afford to make. Mario Kart and Super Smash Bros. will keep them afloat even after the inevitable bombs.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#37 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

@SexyJazzCat: better than Sony's multiplat shooters and derivative horror games.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

Something GS will never admit to lol

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60665 Posts

Yeah, ok...lolz

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#40 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

And hopefully this means they've finally turned the Wii U around.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#41 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

That's just like your opinion man....

Loading Video...

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#42 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33096 Posts

@nini200 said:

GS had multiple editors reveal who they think won e3 out of the big three. One of them chose Nintendo.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 nini200

@super600 said:

@nini200 said:

GS had multiple editors reveal who they think won e3 out of the big three. One of them chose Nintendo.

Link?

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

Nintendwho.?

GamingGod999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 GamingGod999
Member since 2011 • 3135 Posts

Having the biggest reaction from Twitter doesn't necessarily mean they pulled off a great show.

Just look back at the Robin Thicke and Miley Cryus fiasco at the 2013 VMAs - the most tweeted-about event in social networking history.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#46  Edited By super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33096 Posts

@nini200 said:

@super600 said:

@nini200 said:

Link?

Here are the links to the articles.

Nintendo

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/why-nintendo-won-e3-2014/1100-6420391/

Sony

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/why-sony-won-e3-2014/1100-6420501/

Microsoft

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/why-microsoft-won-e3-2014/1100-6420502/

LordQuorthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 LordQuorthon
Member since 2008 • 5803 Posts
@charizard1605 said:

That is correct. Forget Twitter trends. Anyone with a functioning brain should be able to understand that the pre-recorded digital event formula makes far, far, FAR more sense than having a bunch of suits in front of a bigass audience. Sure, you get your random awesomeness, for good or bad, every now and then (Riiiidge racer, my body is ready, Wii Music and all that stuff), but a pre-recorded event just feels more professional and is the correct answer to the fact those watching E3 online are the ones you should be talking to when you do your presentation, this while also giving the actual E3 live attendance more time to play all those demos.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 nini200

@super600 said:

@nini200 said:

@super600 said:

@nini200 said:

Link?

Nintendo

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/why-nintendo-won-e3-2014/1100-6420391/

Sony

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/why-sony-won-e3-2014/1100-6420501/

Microsoft

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/why-microsoft-won-e3-2014/1100-6420502/

Exactly my point. They had to make one for all three when clearly Nintendo won it this year. Last year they had only one winner when Sony took it by a mile. GS needs to just man up and give Nintendo their credit for this year. All 3 did great but Nintendo took it this year for sure.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

@GamingGod999 said:

Having the biggest reaction from Twitter doesn't necessarily mean they pulled off a great show.

Just look back at the Robin Thicke and Miley Cryus fiasco at the 2013 VMAs - the most tweeted-about event in social networking history.

Next year they should reveal Wii Music 2 by having Reggie twerk on Iwata while a bunch of people in Yoshi suits dance around.

GamingGod999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By GamingGod999
Member since 2011 • 3135 Posts

@PurpleMan5000: