Twitch is killed. #rekt

  • 75 results
  • 1
  • 2
Avatar image for clyde46
#1 Posted by clyde46 (48961 posts) -

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=869543

Starting today, Twitch will be implementing technology intended to help broadcasters avoid the storage of videos containing unauthorized third-party audio. We respect the rights of copyright owners, and are voluntarily undertaking this effort to help protect both our broadcasters and copyright owners.

What Is Audio Recognition?

We’ve partnered with Audible Magic, which works closely with the recorded music industry, to scan past and future VODs for music owned or controlled by clients of Audible Magic. This includes in-game and ambient music. When music in the Audible Magic database is detected (“Flagged Content”), the affected portion of the VOD will be muted and volume controls for that VOD will be turned off. Additionally, past broadcasts and highlights with Flagged Content are exportable but will remain muted.

The Audible Magic technology will scan for third party music in 30 minute blocks — if Audible Magic does not detect its clients’ music, that portion of the VOD will not be muted. If third party audio is detected anywhere in the 30-minute scanned block, the entire 30 minutes will be muted.

How It Works: Scanning VODs Only

Audio Recognition will only be run against audio in VODs. We are not scanning live broadcasts and there is no automated takedown of live content.

Flagged Content will display an on-screen notification informing viewers that content owned or controlled by a third party has been identified. The progress bar will also be red for the duration of the muted section.

Content-ID-New

Please note that Audio Recognition is not guaranteed to be 100% accurate. It may return false positives or miss content from copyright owners who do not work with Audible Magic. If you wish to include music in your VODs, please remember that you are responsible for clearing all such rights (this includes ambient music that may be playing in the background while you are broadcasting). If you would like to include free-to-use music in your VODs, there are a variety of resources available to you, including:

Creative Commons

Jamendo

SongFreedom

Broadcaster & Copyright Owner Appeals

If you believe that your video has been flagged improperly and that you have cleared the rights to all of the sound recordings in your uploaded video, then we will consider unmuting your video if you send us a counter-notification that is compliant with the provisions of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (“DMCA”).

Any copyright owner that believes that any of their content is used in any live broadcasts or VOD without authorization should submit a notification of claimed infringement to Twitch pursuant to our Terms of Service.If you are the legal owner of copyrighted music that you would like to protect via Audible Magic’s technology, visit AudibleMagic.com.

Twitch has partnered with Audible Magic without waiving any rights or defenses available to it under law. Twitch is not obligated to filter content stored on the Twitch platform by its users and assumes no liability for the actions of its users notwithstanding the implementation of the Audible Magic technology. Twitch reserves the right to stop filtering audio content in VODs in its sole discretion at any time and without liability to any third party, subject only to any contractual obligations.

We want to hear your feedback and questions. Tune in to the following events to ask us (almost!) anything:

Reddit AMA on /r/Twitch: Thursday, August 7, 10:30am PST

Twitch Weekly: Friday, August 8 at 2pm PST

And, as always, please feel free to leave your comments below. We will answer as best we can.

Avatar image for Blabadon
#3 Posted by Blabadon (32740 posts) -

Sucks so much for streamers. Fucking Google man.

Avatar image for parkurtommo
#4 Edited by parkurtommo (28267 posts) -

Well there goes Twitch. Bye dongerinos

Avatar image for freedomfreak
#7 Posted by freedomfreak (48925 posts) -

Thanks Obama.

Avatar image for ninjapirate2000
#8 Posted by ninjapirate2000 (3347 posts) -

Oi oi oi!

Avatar image for shadowchronicle
#9 Posted by Shadowchronicle (26969 posts) -

It was good knowing Twitch.

Avatar image for darkspineslayer
#10 Posted by darkspineslayer (21923 posts) -

Yep, another service that became too big and is going to become just as much of a pain in the ass as Youtube.

Avatar image for mems_1224
#11 Posted by mems_1224 (55499 posts) -

Well Twitch, you were fun while you lasted.

Avatar image for Promised_Trini
#13 Posted by Promised_Trini (3650 posts) -

Thanks Google. Who didn't see this coming after the shit storm that happened with youtube.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
#15 Posted by princeofshapeir (16246 posts) -

VoDs are the first step. Next they'll start scanning streams, and soon Twitch will get shitty interface updates every week and an overhaul of the comment system that removes emotes (no more Kappa).

Avatar image for Gue1
#16 Edited by Gue1 (12171 posts) -

Avatar image for ninjapirate2000
#17 Posted by ninjapirate2000 (3347 posts) -

Oh yeah one of my shitty Destiny youtube videos got a strike because someone filed a claim on a loading screen! A loading screen!

Avatar image for PhazonBlazer
#19 Posted by PhazonBlazer (12008 posts) -

༼ ºل͟º༼ ºل͟º༼ ºل͟º༼ ºل͟º ༽ºل͟º ༽ºل͟º ༽GOOGLE CAME TO THE WRONG DONGERHOOD༼ ºل͟º༼ ºل͟º༼ ºل͟º༼ ºل͟º ༽ºل͟º ༽ºل͟º ༽

Avatar image for cainetao11
#20 Edited by cainetao11 (28683 posts) -

Nah. He even got his memory back. I can't remember what issue of spawn it was.

On topic, doesn't surprise me at all. You don't get to use another's creation for free in your public display

Avatar image for clyde46
#21 Posted by clyde46 (48961 posts) -

@princeofshapeir said:

VoDs are the first step. Next they'll start scanning streams, and soon Twitch will get shitty interface updates every week and an overhaul of the comment system that removes emotes (no more Kappa).

Forced Google+ inbound.

Avatar image for clyde46
#22 Posted by clyde46 (48961 posts) -
@ninjapirate2000 said:

Oh yeah one of my shitty Destiny youtube videos got a strike because someone filed a claim on a loading screen! A loading screen!

Did you share it from the PS4?

Avatar image for ninjapirate2000
#23 Posted by ninjapirate2000 (3347 posts) -

@clyde46 said:
@ninjapirate2000 said:

Oh yeah one of my shitty Destiny youtube videos got a strike because someone filed a claim on a loading screen! A loading screen!

Did you share it from the PS4?

Nah I never use share on PS4, it sucks. I use an Elgato capture card.

The file claim crap is automated so I don't really understand how it works.

Avatar image for NFJSupreme
#24 Posted by NFJSupreme (6301 posts) -

So does this mean you can't stream or you can't play music while streaming?

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
#25 Edited by princeofshapeir (16246 posts) -

@NFJSupreme said:

So does this mean you can't stream or you can't play music while streaming?

No, for now it only applies to VoDs, i.e. past broadcasts/videos on a channel--not live streams. If you're playing copyrighted or in-game music on-stream your stream won't be muted, but the VoD of your stream might be. However, streams are most likely going to suffer from the automated audio recognition thing soon since Google was so quick to apply their shitty system to Twitch VoDs.

Avatar image for NFJSupreme
#27 Posted by NFJSupreme (6301 posts) -

@princeofshapeir: seems dumb. No one is going to twitch to listen to music

Avatar image for bldgirsh
#28 Posted by BldgIrsh (3044 posts) -

@PhazonBlazer said:

༼ ºل͟º༼ ºل͟º༼ ºل͟º༼ ºل͟º ༽ºل͟º ༽ºل͟º ༽GOOGLE CAME TO THE WRONG DONGERHOOD༼ ºل͟º༼ ºل͟º༼ ºل͟º༼ ºل͟º ༽ºل͟º ༽ºل͟º ༽

( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)

Avatar image for parkurtommo
#30 Edited by parkurtommo (28267 posts) -

@PhazonBlazer said:

༼ ºل͟º༼ ºل͟º༼ ºل͟º༼ ºل͟º ༽ºل͟º ༽ºل͟º ༽GOOGLE CAME TO THE WRONG DONGERHOOD༼ ºل͟º༼ ºل͟º༼ ºل͟º༼ ºل͟º ༽ºل͟º ༽ºل͟º ༽

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

Avatar image for b4x
#31 Posted by B4X (5660 posts) -

Google has the Midas shit touch?

Avatar image for Ballroompirate
#32 Posted by Ballroompirate (25461 posts) -

Never cared for twitch, instead of watching people play a game I'd rather play the game myself.

Avatar image for wis3boi
#34 Edited by wis3boi (32507 posts) -

@parkurtommo said:

@PhazonBlazer said:

༼ ºل͟º༼ ºل͟º༼ ºل͟º༼ ºل͟º ༽ºل͟º ༽ºل͟º ༽GOOGLE CAME TO THE WRONG DONGERHOOD༼ ºل͟º༼ ºل͟º༼ ºل͟º༼ ºل͟º ༽ºل͟º ༽ºل͟º ༽

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

Loading Video...

Avatar image for ladyblue
#36 Posted by LadyBlue (4942 posts) -

Don't, Be Evil.

Avatar image for charizard1605
#37 Posted by charizard1605 (76117 posts) -

Lol, screw you Google.

Avatar image for Wasdie
#38 Edited by Wasdie (52598 posts) -

Exactly what's the problem here. Don't stream with copyrighted music. People are there to watch the stream, not the music. Furthemore since most people just automatically upload their live streams to Youtube, they are already subjected to this kind of copyright protection. The amount of people who go to Twitch to catch broadcasts is not as high as those watching live streams.

Honestly, the reaction I see here screams ignorance and entitlement of gamers and is why people still don't take gaming seriously. Grow up.

Twitch being bought basically legitimizes game streaming as a real revenue source for people. That is good. With that comes the obvious scrutiny that revenue streams are subjected too.

This will kill Twitch as much as Youtube's copyright claim system killed Youtube.

Edit: I should add that if they are overly aggressive with the copyright claims and are muting audio of videos that contain only in-game audio, then they are going to be hurting in the long run. We'll see how it plays out and I'll bet they lighten up.

Avatar image for bbkkristian
#39 Posted by bbkkristian (14971 posts) -

Goodbye Twitch ;_;

Avatar image for ladyblue
#40 Edited by LadyBlue (4942 posts) -

wekt!

Avatar image for Wasdie
#43 Posted by Wasdie (52598 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

@Wasdie:

@Desmonic said:

It seems they are even "copyrighting" and "muting" stuff over which they have no rights to;

Also, they've unmuted the Dota 2 thing, which means they can actively select which videos suffer from it or not.

Plus, even supposedly "official" streams got affected (like the Dota 2 Invitational which suffered from it but has already been corrected).

The issue ( I think) is that most streamers will have no idea of what is or isn't protected under copyright in a game nor what's under the management of this company (the above case from my quote). Plus there is a real concern (though I have no exact idea just how feasible this might be) that it may start to affect actual live streams as well.

I get this when the streamer adds his own random music, but when it's the game's on music...well, just streaming it alone shouldn't be allowed under regular copyright laws (I think), so it's kinda weird they go just for the music. It's not like people are watching them for the music either.

Finally, it's the internet. Everything is always d00mz and the w0rs3 and all that....though Hitbox definitely saw a big, big surge today :P

This will blow over just like Youtube's thing did. After two weeks nobody will even remember this.

Avatar image for blangenakker
#44 Posted by blangenakker (3156 posts) -

Just don't blast copyrighted music and you should(hopefully) be fine.

Avatar image for faizan_faizan
#45 Edited by faizan_faizan (7869 posts) -

damn, ninja'd.

@Wasdie said:

Exactly what's the problem here. Don't stream with copyrighted music. People are there to watch the stream, not the music. Furthemore since most people just automatically upload their live streams to Youtube, they are already subjected to this kind of copyright protection. The amount of people who go to Twitch to catch broadcasts is not as high as those watching live streams.

Honestly, the reaction I see here screams ignorance and entitlement of gamers and is why people still don't take gaming seriously. Grow up.

Twitch being bought basically legitimizes game streaming as a real revenue source for people. That is good. With that comes the obvious scrutiny that revenue streams are subjected too.

This will kill Twitch as much as Youtube's copyright claim system killed Youtube.

Sometimes, there's in-game music that gets gamers into trouble, they're unaware of it.

Avatar image for Wasdie
#46 Posted by Wasdie (52598 posts) -

@faizan_faizan said:

damn, ninja'd.

@Wasdie said:

Exactly what's the problem here. Don't stream with copyrighted music. People are there to watch the stream, not the music. Furthemore since most people just automatically upload their live streams to Youtube, they are already subjected to this kind of copyright protection. The amount of people who go to Twitch to catch broadcasts is not as high as those watching live streams.

Honestly, the reaction I see here screams ignorance and entitlement of gamers and is why people still don't take gaming seriously. Grow up.

Twitch being bought basically legitimizes game streaming as a real revenue source for people. That is good. With that comes the obvious scrutiny that revenue streams are subjected too.

This will kill Twitch as much as Youtube's copyright claim system killed Youtube.

Sometimes, there's in-game music that gets gamers into trouble, they're unaware of it.

There are going to be growing pains for sure. The idea that people's streams are being muted for in-game audio is faaar overreaching and will kill the service if they don't fix it. That I agree with.

However they will probably adapt a much more flexible system. This is just the first implementation of it.

Avatar image for nutcrackr
#47 Edited by nutcrackr (13027 posts) -

They are blocking game music as well? That sounds like a big problem. Also muting 30mins of content if they find one song is going to make people mad in no time.

Edit: Nevermind, they don't scan live content so I doubt streamers will even care. They can put all the songs they like on the live stream.

Avatar image for madsnakehhh
#48 Edited by madsnakehhh (16080 posts) -

If this only affects the music that streamers are listening while playing, then it should be fine, i don't see the big deal with that.

As long as Twitch doesn't mess with the way Spooky free us after every event, then i'm not worried :P

Avatar image for KungfuKitten
#49 Posted by KungfuKitten (23197 posts) -

Go to Hitbox now!
Don't let the copyright f'ckers win this war.

Avatar image for wis3boi
#50 Posted by wis3boi (32507 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

@wis3boi: Bro, who is that Wonder Woman in your sig? You know, research projects and all that >.>....

I wish I knew ; ;