Truth to be told: It's much easier to pirate on consoles now

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By jhonMalcovich
Member since 2010 • 7090 Posts

To pirate on PC one has to deal with a lot of shit today:

1. At this digital era, no PC game is leaked before its release. At least, I can not actually think of any PC game having being leaked. It's totally console territory now. Almost any big launch is leaked on consoles one ot two weeks before its launch.

2. PC pirating is not safe. It's really hard to find any pirated version without hidden Trojan or viruses.Consoles versions are virus free.

3. Too big download sizes at his point. It takes forever to downlaod 50GB via torrent. Only official digital distributors can provide stable fast connections of 3+ MB/s

4. DRMs. Console games are drm free. Meanwhile Denuvo shit is unbreakable...by now

5. One must be an idiot or really desperate to pirate a game when you can buy it normally a few month later in a humble or Steam sale for a few bucks, and you don't have to deal with viruses, low download speeds or lack of patching

6. Games without post-launch patching are unplayable anyway

7. You can't resell a game on PC which is pretty much equivalent to piracy on consoles.

Conclusions: most of the pirates will move to console gaming. It's DRM free, and you can get leaked versions of the games. It's just a matter of time when Ubisoft calls 90% of consoles gamers pirates :P

starjet905

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By starjet905
Member since 2005 • 2078 Posts

PC pirating is not safe. It's really hard to find any pirated version without hidden Trojan or viruses.

I'm sorry, but I can't take a post with something like this in it seriously.

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 jhonMalcovich

@starjet905 said:

PC pirating is not safe. It's really hard to find any pirated version without hidden Trojan or viruses.

I'm sorry, but I can't take a post with something like this in it seriously.

And how do you know it's safe?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Just stahp

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 jhonMalcovich

@lostrib said:

Just stahp

It looked like an interesting topic to me but what ever

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6  Edited By R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

@jhonMalcovich said:

7. You can't resell a game on PC which is pretty much equivalent to piracy on consoles.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7  Edited By bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

Don't the consoles have to be cracked first? As far as I know none of the current gen consoles have been cracked yet. Unless you're talking about last gen?

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

@bunchanumbers said:

Don't the consoles have to be cracked first? As far as I know none of the current gen consoles have been cracked yet.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

... or so hermit trolls keep telling us. Just the fact that you know this means you're way too familiar with the practice.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#10 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

True that console games are leaked before release while on PC you've to wait until the game is unlocked. There are some countries where pirated DVDs of console games are sold in shops and people come to mod their consoles. As you pointed out , most of PC gaming is digital and most of the people don't even want to be bothered with Discs (pirated or original) .

People who can't afford games on launch, buy games once they are cheaper on steam now , specially in third world countries where games are expensive to buy on launch(but people still buy games and support devs as much as they can because of steam sales) . That said , Piracy exists both on PC and consoles (lot of people even consider used games bigger threat than regular piracy) and what matters the most is , how much the game sold instead of how much it was pirated . And F*** DRMs.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18252 Posts

LMAO, you are trying to hard.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@jhonMalcovich said:

1. At this digital era, no PC game is leaked before its release. At least, I can not actually think of any PC game having being leaked. It's totally console territory now. Almost any big launch is leaked on consoles one ot two weeks before its launch.

2. PC pirating is not safe. It's really hard to find any pirated version without hidden Trojan or viruses.Consoles versions are virus free.

3. Too big download sizes at his point. It takes forever to downlaod 50GB via torrent. Only official digital distributors can provide stable fast connections of 3+ MB/s

4. DRMs. Console games are drm free. Meanwhile Denuvo shit is unbreakable...by now

5. One must be an idiot or really desperate to pirate a game when you can buy it normally a few month later in a humble or Steam sale for a few bucks, and you don't have to deal with viruses, low download speeds or lack of patching

Conclusions: most of the pirates will move to console gaming. It's DRM free, and you can get leaked versions of the games. It's just a matter of time when Ubisoft calls 90% of consoles gamers pirates :P

The only next gen platform with piracy is the PC,and consoles games tend to be bigger in size than PC sony has be using 50GB disc and filling them for years,something you rarely see on PC,so is easier to download a PC game than a console one unless you mean 360 and single DVD games.

Re selling games is not piracy you idiot,you have the right to legally sell something you legally own,and consoles are not DRM free you can't play online games on PS3 or xbox 360 without getting ban.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

You are missing one vital part.Your console needs to be modified in order to do that,PCs on the other don't.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
@jhonMalcovich said:

4. DRMs. Console games are drm free.

the machine itself works as DRM. Or the firmware, to be more exact.

blamix99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15  Edited By blamix99
Member since 2011 • 2685 Posts

yeah but no one found a way yet to pirate the PS4 and X1

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

Well hmmm.

I'm thinking you have never tried to pirate a console game.

From my experience borrowing games on the PS3 you need to be pretty sure of yourself. In my case when the hacking stuff first came about you could used a jailbroken ipod running modified version of rockbox to then exploit the PS3 to enable unsigned code to be run, well that was the way I did it anyway.

Then along comes custom firmware, now I had a chinese PS3 so I was able to edit the firmware to swap the X and O buttons which was really great as Sony for some reason had no feature to do that, to be safe you had to pretty much dump the firmware and hope nothing broke with that there were a few other edits you had to do to disable checks. Then there was the risk of bricking your console when flashing a hacked update, quite a few people did brick their consoles.

Then you have to resign yourself to the fact you will never be able to play online again because it would be quite obvious to Sony that you have a modified console and they would just ban the console ID. Some games flat out refused to run with the custom firmware (even legit copies) you had to be extremely patient. Plus you do still have some risk with running malicious code on your PS3 which could potentially render the device a brick, not sure if anyone ever did that but it's certainly possible.

But yes at least you don't need to crack the games as you are just playing the original files, apart from when people were putting out resigned eboots so that they would run on lower firmware versions, unless you had the decrypted source file to compare it to you were just trusting people with that.

As for the size of games I don't think you appreciate how big a lot of the PS3 games were, games like Uncharted 2 and 3 had both 3D and 2D movie sequences bundled and pretty much filled a bluray disk up ~35GB or more.

Can't speak for the Xbox360, anything requiring new firmware was a bitch, and you had to burn the discs don't think there ever was a way of playing from the HDD or network, then again I don't follow that much.

And as of yet there is no way of pirating Xbox One of PS4, so PC is a lot easier and a lot less risky overall.

And your definition of unbreakable is silly, people said the PS3 was unbreakable look how that ended up, that one even surprised me.

You don't have to torrent anything either, their are other way of getting things on the internet.

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts

TC has absolutely no idea what he is talking about. What a load of drivel. LMFAO!!!

Alucrd2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18 Alucrd2009
Member since 2007 • 787 Posts

well most of ppl now tend to buy games that they love , not to mention that most games are crap now .

Caseytappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Caseytappy
Member since 2005 • 2199 Posts

Ohh yeah man , all that piracy on the PS4 and Xbone .

Op go home, you´re drunk !

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

3DO and Dreamcast had no security measures. It is more difficult today. Closed platforms and firmware updates with new games requiring such updates, i'd imagine, would make it more difficult.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#21 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

@jhonMalcovich said:

Watch Dogs was leaked maybe 2-3 weeks before it's released. I know because... reasons.

RadioGooGoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By RadioGooGoo
Member since 2007 • 253 Posts

He's right. Much easier to pirate 360 games today than PC. Problem is people are moving on from last gen, and XB and PS4 are still not cracked.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#24 lamprey263  Online
Member since 2006 • 44552 Posts

I remembered back in the day the people who'd offer to mod consoles to play "imports" (or burned games) were the people who worked at Funcoland (which became GameStop).

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#25 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

Back in the PS1 era everyone I know who owned one bought pirated games at a couple of quid per CD from someone with a stall at the market. It continued and was same with the DC, the PS2, 360... IMO Console piracy has always been bigger than its made out to be and the most popular consoles are always the ones that are easier to pirate games on. Console gamers will still throw about torrent numbers as if they mean something but no one can give figures for the amount of times a console game disc is duplicated.

And lol at "console pirates are PC gamers because you need a PC to download it". What a load of tripe.

mikhail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By mikhail
Member since 2003 • 2697 Posts

What a worthless thread

DerekLoffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#28 DerekLoffin
Member since 2002 • 9095 Posts

Wow.... that's a terrible list and logic. Okay, adding the OP to my list of people to never take seriously.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#30 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

As long as PS4 and XbO don't have interesting games I don't see them getting cracked.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

@walloftruth said:

Wow, what a shit thread.

Pirating on consoles is hard as hell while on PC it isn't.

Meh. Guess it depends on the console. I blew the doors off with my PS2 and Wii pretty easily. Never tried with other platforms, but some of my buddies do and it's no sweat for them. The only console I know of that was "hard as hell" to pirate for was the PS3.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#33 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58890 Posts

It seems this is the last generations of consoles.

A whimper.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@jhonMalcovich said:

@lostrib said:

Just stahp

It looked like an interesting topic to me but what ever

well... your comment on trojan etc is ridiculous....

if you use any well known "site" they have "credited uploaders" / Comments and Ratings...... easy to tell whats safe/legit...

PC piracy is no harder than it ever was...

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#35  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

@jhonMalcovich said:

How damn dense are you.

Green skull, pink skull, positive comments, private trackers. Holy shit this is so hard.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

@jhonMalcovich said:

That is completely and utterly wrong. Most pirates don't download from random untrustworthy sources.

leandrro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

#38 leandrro
Member since 2007 • 1644 Posts

@RadioGooGoo said:

He's right. Much easier to pirate 360 games today than PC. Problem is people are moving on from last gen, and XB and PS4 are still not cracked.

hes talking about last gen and X360 PS3 only have old or old looking games

some old games on PC like in GOG dont even have DRM, its just copy the game files and play,

ive tested all sorts of piracy and no piracy is easier than on PC, its so easy and i dont spend on discs or professional firmware updaters so i can use my small budget to give money to the developers that deserve my money after i play a good game

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#39  Edited By blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

In a veritable ocean, nay a massive galaxy of online stupidity, this post holds its head high as being spectacularly stupid way beyond the call of duty.

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

The most pirated console has to be ps2 ahh the glory days. Pc was piss easy back then as well, easier than any console. Ps4/x1 will be very tough because the trend of games merging online into campaigns. A small update can ruin all progress

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#41 Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

@jhonMalcovich said:

Look at all that proof....oh wait.

Yeah...no....it's not.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

I just like this gif.

Avatar image for deactivated-597794cd74015
deactivated-597794cd74015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#43 deactivated-597794cd74015
Member since 2012 • 961 Posts

@scottpsfan14 said:

All this talk of console pirating. All the people I know who have pirated console games are primarily PC gamers with stupidly powerful rigs. Oh the irony.

So the people you know, who may or may not be real, represent the entire PC community ?

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

If you're going to post a bait thread at least have a well reasoned and researched one.