NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11780 Posts

I was hoping for Unreal Engine 4 but I guess the latest version of Unreal Engine 3 is more than an upgrade from the first killing floor

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/05/10/john-gibson-interview/

We talked about KF2's new gore system (enemies burst apart dynamically in 19 places), blood system (every drop of blood stays on the map for an entire match), and new guns, which live up to Tripwire's reputation for accuracy.

I also spent a good deal of time talking to Tripwire president John Gibson about PC gaming at large—his thoughts on SteamOS and the Steam Controller, Epic's Unreal Engine 4, and Battlefield 4's ongoing issues. As always, he had strong opinions about the present problems and future possibilities of PC gaming. His boldest prediction: almost every PC game will end up on Linux eventually, and PC gaming will thrive as a result.

Wes Fenlon, PC Gamer: Killing Floor 2 runs on Unreal Engine 3. Tripwire started as an Unreal Tournament mod team. I'm curious what you think of Unreal Engine 4 and the announcement they made recently that it's like $19 a month to license it.

John Gibson: I think that's really cool, and it's really smart. What it does for companies like us that use Unreal tech, is it helps ensure that there will be a stream of people that have the skillset in the engine that the pros are using. Typically in the past that kind of came from the mod community, and I think if anybody can pick it up and start using it, start learning it, that's a smart move on Epic's part. When they're selling their game engine they can say hey, there's all these people that know it.

And for independent developers, it gives them a point of entry for developing their games that might not have been there before. Not a lot of indie developers can come up with hundreds of thousands of dollars that it would take to do a standard commercial license of the engine.

PCG: Is SteamOS going to be able to take on Sony and Microsoft? It's one thing to say it can compete against the consoles, but what about Windows? Right now, 100 perfect of Steam games are on Windows, and 10 percent, maybe 5 percent, are on Linux.

JG: It'll be just like when digital took over retail. Steam didn't just turn on one night and then Walmart and Best Buy got freaked out because they weren't selling PC games anymore. It took 2 or 3 years or 4 years. But it did happen, and it happened a little bit at a time. I think that's Valve's strategy. They're taking one step at a time. They know if they try to do a massive leap and go head-to-head right at the outset, they could stumble.

But taking these incremental steps, even Valve says they're not trying to go head-to-head against Microsoft and Sony. And I'm like, "this year." But in five years, or three years, I think that they probably will be going head-to-head with them and probably taking over.

In general, for gaming, I think [Linux] will become like Windows is now. I think every game's going to be on Linux eventually, so almost every game will be on SteamOS. Microsoft's done their best to kill gaming on PC for as long as I can remember. Having an OS that's actually not trying to kill gaming, I think that's going to be very good for games. I think it'll just grow.

Or maybe it won't and we'll put games on some other platform. But I think it has everything going for it. It's Valve's game to lose at this point. I'm very interested to see how it plays out.

For us, we're very much about when new gaming technologies come along, of being there on the forefront. When digital distribution came out, we were right there. When OnLive came out, we were right there. When the Ouya came out, we were there on the Ouya. If it becomes the next big thing, great. Same thing with SteamOS. I think it has an infinitely better chance than Ouya or OnLive.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

Those are some pretty damning words.

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3 PS4hasNOgames
Member since 2014 • 2620 Posts

LOL PC gaming sucks and everyone knows it. All the best games are on consoles. Your precious rigs are worthless herms. Go cry.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

well, they don't see a single dime from games sold for Windows unless it is through GFWL. I think they use directX only to lure developers into helping them to grow Windows' adoption rate and market.

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By naz99
Member since 2002 • 2941 Posts

He is right about Microsoft killing PC gaming...but the sad thing is I don't think they are intentionally doing it, and that is what is just so tragic about it.

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By naz99
Member since 2002 • 2941 Posts

@ps4hasnogames said:

LOL PC gaming sucks and everyone knows it. All the best games are on consoles. Your precious rigs are worthless herms. Go cry.

All i saw here was "DERPY DERP DERP DURPY Derp"

But nice try,maybe try use actual facts and maybe for the hell of it an actual argument next time you numpty failing troll

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

Every game on Linux. LMAO!! That will be the day. Linux can't even run my Firefox app smoothly. Slow as can be and it's the only thing I have open and running.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

you should include the bit they said about EA and battlefield 4

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

Ugh, just a valve fanloverant ...

Ironically the same people that have a massive monopoly on PC gaming..... and want us to use their music/film services.... buy their expensive pointless version of gaming devices.... force us to use their service on a growing list of games.

They are the new microsoft.... that want to make a version that does not require windows.

peopel praising them for offering a free OS ... every other damn part of it reaks of the same milkage crap.

Steam stopped being "value" a long time ago and is crap for new games.

hell, there was that survey that stated 37% of steam games are never played... yet this s*it is praised.

deals on old games... amazing... truly....

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

I will never forgive MS for closing down MS FS.

Scipio8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Scipio8
Member since 2013 • 937 Posts

Thanks to Microsoft and Direct X it saved PC gaming.

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

@MBirdy88: I probably have 37% of my Steam games never played. Just too many games.

mbrockway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 mbrockway
Member since 2007 • 3560 Posts

The console OS's both suck. My PS4 bar is huge, I can't sort stuff, and deleted demos stay in my library forever. If there is a gen 9, I wouldn't be surprised if Sony is running a descendant of SteamOS. I don't expect there to be an Xbones U, might be a Wii V.

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By PS4hasNOgames
Member since 2014 • 2620 Posts

@naz99 said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

All i saw here was "DERPY DERP DERP DURPY Derp"

But nice try,maybe try use actual facts and maybe for the hell of it an actual argument next time you numpty failing troll

u mad? haha!

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60681 Posts

But PC gaming in the true open platform.

cfisher2833

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 cfisher2833
Member since 2011 • 2150 Posts

@NoodleFighter said:

I was hoping for Unreal Engine 4 but I guess the latest version of Unreal Engine 3 is more than an upgrade from the first killing floor

Just because a game is using UE4 instead of UE3 doesn't mean it's gonna inherently look better. Daylight is a great example--it uses UE4 yet looks like utter horseshit compared to UE3 games like Outlast, Thief, and Bioshock Infinite. Not only that, but it also performs far worse than those games.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#17 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

They must be doing a terrible job of it, considering PC gaming hasn't been this great in ages.

nyzma23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 nyzma23
Member since 2013 • 1003 Posts

another year another linux year ,yea they rambling about that since linux have ubuntu

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

Microsoft has done their best to kill gaming on PC

----

I think they could try harder. I definitely don't think they've done their best in this area of gaming.

XboxDone74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By XboxDone74
Member since 2013 • 2116 Posts

Was mostly valve and steam that killed pc gaming.

Pc gaming was far better in the early 90s

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@xboxdone74: how would you know? You don't have a gaming PC

lunar1122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By lunar1122
Member since 2012 • 784 Posts

i agree fully microsoft has done their best to kill pc gaming.

1) many years have passed and microsoft is yet to release a version of windows for "the gamers". Meaning a version stripped of all the useless nonsense that we dont care about.. We just want x64 or x86 and the latest direct X for $5 dollars. The fact that microsoft wants people to buy $100 dollar OS to get latest Direct x and an x64 system increases the bar to entry and is actively trying to kill pc gaming. They release all sorts of versions for professionals etc.. Where is the gaming version of windows thats cheap?

2) microsoft has known for a long time that Direct X is a bad cpu bottleneck.. It took AMD threatening mantel for them to finally say yes, we need a new Direct X else all games are going to be CPU bound. If it wasnt for AMD.. We would still be having to put up with DX 11 for many years to come.

3) Microsoft is actively going after companies like valve indirectly with windows 8. Because of the tablet style presentation and the microsoft shop advertised like there's no tomorrow , microsoft hopes to monopolize .. Gabe has spoken out about this.. Hence Steam O.S and why its needed. Microsoft is going to get ever so more desperate to censor the competition of an open platform.

4) The fact that it took Gabe ( a man who left microsoft) to save pc gaming with steam shows microsoft couldn't care less about pc gaming .. They had no foresight. Only one man did, and that was Gabe.,. What Microsoft cares about is their Xbox brand. If microsoft could have their way they would kill pc gaming in an instant.. But they know they cannot make bold moves anymore since the threat of Steam OS and Mantel is real.. It doesnt surprise me DX 12 has been announced only shortly after steam OS has been released and the new preachings from Phill spencer saying pc is important for them and will be bringing games. They have to say such things or ELSE they loose a big chunk of market share of windows to free Operating systems in the future from pc gamers. They have to beat Free, and the only way to beat free is offering a very superior product

My predictions.. The fact that Microsoft is now on the defensive they will now start supporting pc like never before, and they have too..... They are like the WWE.. We all know WWE can turn it on at any instant and win out the competition if there was any, But when there is no competition you will be delivered a very bad pg 13 mediocre product.. Gone are the days of the attitude Era. Welcome to hornswoggle and santino . Microsoft is like that, They can deliver on pc gaming whenever they want to but only under the threat of loosing market share will they do that.

Dont fall for microsoft tricks.. They almost got the Xbone threw with all its DRM. They are evil at heart

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@lunar1122 said:

1) many years have passed and microsoft is yet to release a version of windows for "the gamers". Meaning a version stripped of all the useless nonsense that we dont care about.. We just want x64 or x86 and the latest direct X for $5 dollars. The fact that microsoft wants people to buy $100 dollar OS to get latest Direct x and an x64 system increases the bar to entry and is actively trying to kill pc gaming. They release all sorts of versions for professionals etc.. Where is the gaming version of windows thats cheap?

2) microsoft has known for a long time that Direct X is a bad cpu bottleneck.. To took AMD threatening mantel for them to finally say yes, we need a new Direct X else all games are going to be CPU bound. If it wasnt for AMD.. We would still be having to put up with DX 11 for many years to come.

3) Microsoft is actively going after companies like valve indirectly with windows 8. Because of the tablet style presentation and the microsoft shop advertised like there's no tomorrow , microsoft hopes to monopolize .. Gabe has spoken out about this.. Hence Steam O.S and why its needed. Microsoft is going to get ever so more desperate to censor the competition of an open platform.

4) The fact that it took Gabe ( a man who left microsoft) to save pc gaming with steam shows microsoft couldn't care less about pc gaming .. They had no foresight. Only one man did, and that was Gabe.,. What Microsoft cares about is their Xbox brand. If microsoft could have their way they would kill pc gaming in an instant.. But they know they cannot make bold moves anymore since the threat of Steam OS is real.. It doesnt surprise me DX 12 has been announced and the new preachings from Phill spencer saying pc is important for them. They have to say such things or ELSE they those a big chuck of market share in the future from pc gamers.

My predictions.. The fact that Microsoft is now on the defensive , They have to do something for pc gaming.. They are like WWE.. We all know WWE can turn it on at any instant and win out the competition, But when their is no competition you will be delivered a very bad pg 13 mediocre product that sucks.

Dont fall for microsoft tricks.. They almost got the Xbone threw with all its DRM. They are evil

ugh...

1) So let me get this straight... you want a version of windows... that you can practically do yourself? despite... most modern PC gamers not haivng any problems with the OS's resource use... what are we back in the 1990s? or that brief period where vista performance was like... SLIGHTLY noticable? living under a rock? an OS hasn't been a bottleneck for games for a LONG time. wtf profit is there in a gaming version? when most people that play games also do other stuff on their computers and vice versa? make a stripped down os that does f*ck all of an advantage? just to scrimp maybe a 1-2% performance difference. WHOA.

2) Microsoft is also doing exactly that... late to the party again? you mean AMD that made yet another thing developers have to split resources on? yea.... it'l be redundant in a year or 2.

3) Every other company has their own store, suddenly microsoft gets on the bandwagon and "they are monopolising everything" ... despite the store being mostly about normal friggin phone/tablet apps and nothing to do with the gaming software market.

4) Gabe saved nothing... steam saved nothing. nothing was dying. now, we are stuck in a steam monopoly where you have no choice but to use their walled-garden enviroment to play alot of games.... ironically similar to windows live. yet when origin does it they are evil... YOUR ALL HYPOCRITS.

Microsoft have to do d*ck for gaming, they never did, they don't need to... why? because the OS perfomance means d*ck. its all about the userbase and software support.

Microsoft indirectly made PC Gaming big in the damn firs tplace, by providing an operating system that works across all kinds of computers for rich and poor.... provided the user base, in return providing developer interest and is the reason the splintered "but free" linux will NEVER likely beat Windows or Mac in the consumor market FREE IS NOT ALWAYS BETTER FOR THE MAJORITY.... you pay the damn entry fee for developement, support and updates... and easy of use/quality of life. get that into your skull.

lunar1122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By lunar1122
Member since 2012 • 784 Posts

@MBirdy88 said:

@lunar1122 said:

2) microsoft has known for a long time that Direct X is a bad cpu bottleneck.. To took AMD threatening mantel for them to finally say yes, we need a new Direct X else all games are going to be CPU bound. If it wasnt for AMD.. We would still be having to put up with DX 11 for many years to come.

4) The fact that it took Gabe ( a man who left microsoft) to save pc gaming with steam shows microsoft couldn't care less about pc gaming .. They had no foresight. Only one man did, and that was Gabe.,. What Microsoft cares about is their Xbox brand. If microsoft could have their way they would kill pc gaming in an instant.. But they know they cannot make bold moves anymore since the threat of Steam OS is real.. It doesnt surprise me DX 12 has been announced and the new preachings from Phill spencer saying pc is important for them. They have to say such things or ELSE they those a big chuck of market share in the future from pc gamers.

My predictions.. The fact that Microsoft is now on the defensive , They have to do something for pc gaming.. They are like WWE.. We all know WWE can turn it on at any instant and win out the competition, But when their is no competition you will be delivered a very bad pg 13 mediocre product that sucks.

Dont fall for microsoft tricks.. They almost got the Xbone threw with all its DRM. They are evil

ugh...

1) So let me get this straight... you want a version of windows... that you can practically do yourself? despite... most modern PC gamers not haivng any problems with the OS's resource use... what are we back in the 1990s? or that brief period where vista performance was like... SLIGHTLY noticable? living under a rock? an OS hasn't been a bottleneck for games for a LONG time. wtf profit is there in a gaming version? when most people that play games also do other stuff on their computers and vice versa? make a stripped down os that does f*ck all of an advantage? just to scrimp maybe a 1-2% performance difference. WHOA.

2) Microsoft is also doing exactly that... late to the party again? you mean AMD that made yet another thing developers have to split resources on? yea.... it'l be redundant in a year or 2.

3) Every other company has their own store, suddenly microsoft gets on the bandwagon and "they are monopolising everything" ... despite the store being mostly about normal friggin phone/tablet apps and nothing to do with the gaming software market.

4) Gabe saved nothing... steam saved nothing. nothing was dying. now, we are stuck in a steam monopoly where you have no choice but to use their walled-garden enviroment to play alot of games.... ironically similar to windows live. yet when origin does it they are evil... YOUR ALL HYPOCRITS.

Microsoft have to do d*ck for gaming, they never did, they don't need to... why? because the OS perfomance means d*ck. its all about the userbase and software support.

Microsoft indirectly made PC Gaming big in the damn firs tplace, by providing an operating system that works across all kinds of computers for rich and poor.... provided the user base, in return providing developer interest and is the reason the splintered "but free" linux will NEVER likely beat Windows or Mac in the consumor market FREE IS NOT ALWAYS BETTER FOR THE MAJORITY.... you pay the damn entry fee for developement, support and updates... and easy of use/quality of life. get that into your skull.

1) i spoke about having a cheap version of windows for gamers... You know how windows has many versions.. Like professional/Home/premium/basic/enterprise.. It just so happens the x64 versions are always high priced. Where is the Gaming version without the junk.. I dont care for the majority of microsoft stuff. Internet explorer is trash, Windows media player is trash, Outlook express is trash.. Everything you said is a strawman and irrelevant.

2) With amd threatening mantel, Microsoft was forced to react.. In combination with the threat of steam OS . OpenGL is getting a whole lot better, Nvidia put a lot of work into Open GL and is working closely with valve for steam OS. Microsoft knows they have to react fast.. Just last year microsoft came out and said their was going to be no more Direct X versions.. Then all of a sudden Direct X 12 is announced , less than a year after Steam OS announcement. It doesnt matter if mantel is dead within 3 years. The fact is it forced microsoft to play their hand. See my WWE comparison with microsoft.. If microsoft wants to, they can win out the competition anytime they choose. But they wont act unless threatened.. Which makes them Corporate sleeve bags. You have to settle with mediocrity until something threatens. This is why WWE is all but trash nowadays despite being capable of delivering so much more.

3) Windows should always stay neutral as an open platform and not promote any shop but with Windows 8 we see a new direction .You say they don't sell games ? Call me when Project Spark is available on windows 7.. Look you are just a fool and quite frankly not worth any response.

4) gabe saved nothing ?... Lollllll .. Stay under that rock you live on . Steam is/was way better than Games for windows .. So many nightmares with Games for windows live. If you think Steam got popular because of chance. You are entirely deluded

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#25  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58646 Posts

Absolutely true. They wanted Xbox for core gaming and pc gaming to be relegated to casual bejwell tablet style games. Thankfully Valve, the hero we deserve, because they can take it, gave us everything.

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

@MBirdy88 said:

Ugh, just a valve fanloverant ...

Ironically the same people that have a massive monopoly on PC gaming..... and want us to use their music/film services.... buy their expensive pointless version of gaming devices.... force us to use their service on a growing list of games.

They are the new microsoft.... that want to make a version that does not require windows.

peopel praising them for offering a free OS ... every other damn part of it reaks of the same milkage crap.

Steam stopped being "value" a long time ago and is crap for new games.

hell, there was that survey that stated 37% of steam games are never played... yet this s*it is praised.

deals on old games... amazing... truly....

oh shut up. steam offers amazing value every major sale, nothing comes close. stop riding m$ cock

how the **** is it steam fault if 37% of games are not played? please explain this shit

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52420 Posts

RWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts
@lunar1122 said:

Steam is/was way better than Games for windows .. So many nightmares with Games for windows live. If you think Steam got popular because of chance. You are entirely deluded

Make sure you make a distinction between Games for Windows and Games for Windows Live. I hate the latter. But, I rather have Games for Windows over Steam because it doesn't require a client applet.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#29 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

He is right about Microsoft

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

@jun_aka_pekto said:
@lunar1122 said:

Steam is/was way better than Games for windows .. So many nightmares with Games for windows live. If you think Steam got popular because of chance. You are entirely deluded

Make sure you make a distinction between Games for Windows and Games for Windows Live. I hate the latter. But, I rather have Games for Windows over Steam because it doesn't require a client applet.

client app is great for keeping all the games in one place. it keeps everything nice and organised and can provide neat features like time played, take screenshots etc. honestly steam is pretty much faultless, that piece of shit origin cant even take a damn screenshot and m$ client was a fuckin joke and now that they have pissed off the games that required it arnt compatible unless the dev updates them.

m$ truly are scumbags, glad steam kicked their ass and sent them packing

joel_c17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By joel_c17
Member since 2005 • 3206 Posts

@ps4hasnogames said:

So much douche in one comment!

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#32 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts

It's true, MS try their hardest to hurt PC gaming. Despite the dozens of promises of turning things around (which never pan out) they do many things that harm it more than help itt. Makes sense since they have the xbox.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I keep my games organized in a folder by myself just fine. If I need screenshots or 10 minutes of free video recording footage, I just use Bandicam. It'll save stills in .png, .bmp, or .jpg format. I agree Steam is the best among clients. I put up with clients. But, I still think it's better not to have one running.

@ghostwarrior786 said:

client app is great for keeping all the games in one place. it keeps everything nice and organised and can provide neat features like time played, take screenshots etc. honestly steam is pretty much faultless, that piece of shit origin cant even take a damn screenshot and m$

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts

@MBirdy88: I don't think you understand what "monopoly" means.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#35  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58646 Posts

@MBirdy88 said:

YOUR ALL HYPOCRITS.

Valve are great. The world agrees. Even Microsoft lol.

Sadly, it seems you are the loud minority. But that's ok, the less of you there are, the more special a person you can be.

Avatar image for Midnightshade29
Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 301

#36  Edited By Midnightshade29
Member since 2008 • 6003 Posts

@naz99 said:

He is right about Microsoft killing PC gaming...but the sad thing is I don't think they are intentionally doing it, and that is what is just so tragic about it.

They have been doing it since 2005-6 when the x360 came out... Preventing PC games to play unless you had vista and GFWL gold.. (halo 2, and shadowrun) games that were DX7 level techwise. They killed off all their pc dev teams, even the successful ones like Ensemble and the venerable flight sim team. Trying to make pc gamers pay for online. Windows 8 metro and their crap store... oh I could go on and on.

I saw this coming back then and raised a voice about it all the time. All I ever got from people was denial. After years of that and people praising MS for everything, I gave up arguing about it and moved on. It's about time people are starting to wake up!

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

they tried killing it by supporting it with new and ever better versions of direct x? you also have to love the claim that linux will be just like windows *that's the whole reason linux users don't use windows, and I'm pretty sure microsoft owns the patents*

Microsoft may have stopped producing pc centeric stuff but they never tried to kill pc gaming.

Its funny that people that claim this kind of shit yet not a single one sits and purposely uses no microsoft made product or patent not a single one, and they almost never dare to produce all of their content for linux or mac they instead still produce for windows.

no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 no-scope-AK47
Member since 2012 • 3755 Posts

@WilliamRLBaker said:

they tried killing it by supporting it with new and ever better versions of direct x? you also have to love the claim that linux will be just like windows *that's the whole reason linux users don't use windows, and I'm pretty sure microsoft owns the patents*

Microsoft may have stopped producing pc centeric stuff but they never tried to kill pc gaming.

Its funny that people that claim this kind of shit yet not a single one sits and purposely uses no microsoft made product or patent not a single one, and they almost never dare to produce all of their content for linux or mac they instead still produce for windows.

Windoze is a monopoly and has been sued and investigated so many times I lost count. Linux is free like Android but needs support or people willing to actually learn to use it. The steam os can become a force for gaming but it is going to take time. Just like when steam came out people lol at Gabe and look at steam now. People lol at android cause blackberry and windoze and apple were far ahead back in the day.

Gamers I am sure would welcome a free os that plays games and does not contain bloatware. Linux already has a ton of software but games it lacks. The steam os should change that.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 45996 Posts

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

He's right though. MS wanted to kill PC gaming in order for people to move on to consoles, preferably their console:

-Cancelling PC versions of games that were announced as PC/360 titles. For example Alan Wake

-Shutting down PC studios. For example Ensemble. It was a very profitable studio, yet MS shut it down because an RTS dev was no use to them when focussing on Xbox gaming

-Redirecting PC studios to Xbox development. For Example Lionhead.

And not to talk about Windows 8, which was a complete mess to use with KB/M, which 99.99% of PC gamers use.

Microsoft could have supported both PC and Xbox gaming, like Sony and Nintendo support multiple systems. Yet, they chose not to. They didn't want people gaming on PC, they wanted PC gamers to switch to Xbox.

At a certain point in time Sony was making more games for Windows than MS was... Windows, a Microsoft system...

They are coming back to PC gaming though (a little bit). Could be that there Xbox devision wasn't as profitable as they wanted it to be. Or because PC gamers didn't massively migrate to Xbox like they had hoped.

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 IgGy621985
Member since 2004 • 5922 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

He's right though. MS wanted to kill PC gaming in order for people to move on to consoles, preferably their console:

-Cancelling PC versions of games that were announced as PC/360 titles. For example Alan Wake

-Shutting down PC studios. For example Ensemble. It was a very profitable studio, yet MS shut it down because an RTS dev was no use to them when focussing on Xbox gaming

-Redirecting PC studios to Xbox development. For Example Lionhead.

And not to talk about Windows 8, which was a complete mess to use with KB/M, which 99.99% of PC gamers use.

Microsoft could have supported both PC and Xbox gaming, like Sony and Nintendo support multiple systems. Yet, they chose not to. They didn't want people gaming on PC, they wanted PC gamers to switch to Xbox.

At a certain point in time Sony was making more games for Windows than MS was... Windows, a Microsoft system...

They are coming back to PC gaming though (a little bit). Could be that there Xbox devision wasn't as profitable as they wanted it to be. Or because PC gamers didn't massively migrate to Xbox like they had hoped.

I wanted to write just that, but you beat me to it.

This post summarized just about everything Microsoft did wrong regarding PC gaming.

KiZZo1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By KiZZo1
Member since 2007 • 3989 Posts

But as we know, when MS does its best, the results are often the opposite of their intentions...thus PC gaming is thriving.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#43 deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

@xboxdone74 said:

Was mostly valve and steam that killed pc gaming.

Pc gaming was far better in the early 90s

oh look. it's the official jester of System Wars typing random words again.

happyduds77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By happyduds77
Member since 2012 • 1688 Posts

In all honesty **** Microsoft.

B4X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By B4X
Member since 2014 • 5660 Posts

Steam is doing fine on my PC.

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts

All I know is that I actually like Games for Windows Live, Im going to miss it, and I dont understand all of the hate it got.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

@wolverine4262 said:

All I know is that I actually like Games for Windows Live, Im going to miss it, and I dont understand all of the hate it got.

The original premise for GFWL was a good one. As a quality standard for all games on PC and a place for all your games to be kept.

Then came the paywall (this alone was enough to immediately place the entire concept 6 feet under), poor implementation, awful support, terminally poor UI and more adverts than Fox. GFWL was an idea that worked on Xbox and MS thought they could fleece the PC community as well, they soon found out that most of us are not so gullible.

We are still stuck with Windows, for the time being, but when and if that becomes realistically optional millions of people world wide will drop windows as fast as they dropped GFWL.

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 wolverine4262

@GarGx1:

There was a paywall on PC? I had no idea. Honestly, all Im talking about is how its implemented in games. I like being able to use my guide button, get achievements, sign into live, and talk to friends. That stuff works great, now at least.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 45996 Posts

@wolverine4262 said:

@GarGx1:

There was a paywall on PC? I had no idea. Honestly, all Im talking about is how its implemented in games. I like being able to use my guide button, get achievements, sign into live, and talk to friends. That stuff works great, now at least.

That's not the worst of it. When Microsoft found out that people weren't going to pay for somerhing they got for free for all these years, they decided to drop support for GFWL.

Meaning that there wouldn't be any updates for the service anymore. Meaning that all the developers and games that made use of the service were left in the cold.

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 wolverine4262

@R4gn4r0k:

Yeah, I cant believe they thought a paywall would succeed. A real shame.