Total War: Warhammer - First look at Chaos

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

My hype is through the roof for this, can't remember being this excited for a game in a long time. The sheer diversity of unit types is amazing, will be utterly different playing each faction (hopefully with more in the future).

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

Looks awesome, hope it lives upto your Hype Blue :)

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

Now this is what I've been waiting for

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#4 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56488 Posts

Graphics and details for the units look really nice and I'm looking forward to this game more so. Hopefully, they won't screw it up like they did with Rome 2, less buggy than some of the series entries.

blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator

@indzman: Me too :P

Its TW so there will be bugs and crashes and memory leaks and some balancing issues no doubt at the start, but I can live with those!

Jagoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 Jagoff
Member since 2016 • 515 Posts

As long as it doesn't release in a buggy state, this can be one of the best games of the year at least. Looks incredible.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 GarGx1

Now that I watched the video

Spoiler related to the outcome of the battle

Does Darren always lose? I don't think I've seen him win a battle yet

@blue_hazy_basic Fighting with the bugs is all part and parcel with a Total War game, it's just one more faction to crush on the path to conquest ;-)

blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator

@GarGx1: Its hard in those battles where they are trying to keep the flow moving quickly in a contained video and large armies. He got overwhelmed by the AI flanking troops while he was off elsewhere. Having said that, why you'd send TWO elite cav units to take down a couple of artillery pieces and have them out of a critical part of the battle is beyond me.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 indzman

@blue_hazy_basic said:

@indzman: Me too :P

Its TW so there will be bugs and crashes and memory leaks and some balancing issues no doubt at the start, but I can live with those!

Its a well known franchise, even if there are some flaws ( bugs , Unoptimisation ) on release devs will patch it for sure. Don't worry about it. :)

BTW Blue, what else you looking forward to next? QB, DS 3, Doom , SW 2, Dues EX MD or any other games? :)

blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator

@indzman: Stellaris :)

Also ME Androm

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 indzman

@blue_hazy_basic said:

Also ME Androm

M AE 2017, long wait for both of us :(

Will check info on Stellaris now, first time hearing it :)

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By GarGx1

@blue_hazy_basic: Yeah I know it's difficult trying to control a fast moving battle, especially with the addition of magic which adds extra micro management and show off the units at the same time. He lost that battle from the moment he started with his troops deployed spread out, defensively (If you can call it a defensive deployment), at the bottom of a hill against a very strong melee army, loaded with shock troops.

Good video though and he did show some new units on Empire as well as the Chaos units.

blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator

@indzman said:
@blue_hazy_basic said:

Also ME Androm

M AE 2017, long wait for both of us :(

Will check info on Stellaris now, first time hearing it :)

From the developers of CK2 and EU. Starts out as a X4 exploration game in early part of game and develops into grand strategy in mid-late parts (been described as star trek with earth single planet at start evolving into federation).

blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator

@GarGx1 said:

@blue_hazy_basic: Yeah I know it's difficult trying to control a fast moving battle, especially with the addition of magic which adds extra micro management and show off the units at the same time. He lost that battle from the moment he started with his troops deployed spread out, defensively (If you can call it a defensive deployment), at the bottom of a hill against a very strong melee army, loaded with shock troops.

Good video though and he did show some new units on Empire as well as the Chaos units.

I almost always play the "good" guys in these type of games, but its going to be very hard not to start with either chaos or vamps. They both look fantastic.

ABtoxin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ABtoxin
Member since 2014 • 438 Posts

watching it right now and I'm now hyped

thepclovingguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By thepclovingguy
Member since 2016 • 2059 Posts

Looks like people don't care anymore about the chaos preorder dlc, since the video has a few dislikes compared to the chaos announcement video. It doesn't bother me that much personally, I have gotten used to these preorder dlcs even though I still think this business model feels a bit shady.

thepclovingguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By thepclovingguy

However, I was kinda bothered by the lack of anti aliasing, hopefully it will be available in the final version of the game

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By GarGx1

@blue_hazy_basic: My first play thorough will definitely be Empire but who can resist the draw of the unlimited power of Chaos. I get the impression that the Vampire Counts are going to be the most underpowered faction. The strange decision not to give them ranged units seems to have limited them, depends on how powerful their late game units are though. It could easily be Empire that become the weakest..

@thepclovingguy said:

Looks like people don't care anymore about the chaos preorder dlc, since the video has a few dislikes compared to the chaos announcement video. It doesn't bother me that much personally, I have gotten used to these preorder dlcs even though I still think this business model feels a bit shady.

I very nearly boycotted this as well but my principles got overwhelmed by the simple fact that Warhammer and Total War are my two favourite gaming I.P's. Total War since Shogun 1 and Warhammer from playing on table top, I've wanted this game forever.

The only thing I'd suck it up more for would be an Epic scale Warhammer 40k game.

blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator

@thepclovingguy: Meh there's 4 full playable factions in the game that are completely different, that's probably several hundred hours of gameplay even without chaos. (I also pre-ordered so I don't care!)

@GarGx1:Being able to summon troops behind enemy lines is amazing ... don't think I'd enjoy having my archers attacked behind my melee all of a sudden or having troops plough in from behind to troops already engaged. I think undead will prove to be an interesting and very different style of play.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60723 Posts

looks good, might get this with my new PC build.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#21 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

So Fvckin Excited!!! If everything goes well on launch, I expect it to be best in the series.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Cloud_imperium

Gonna kick Chaos' ass with the Empire. Humanity foreva!!!

thepclovingguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 thepclovingguy

We can only pray that ca wont **** this one up, I am already a bit disappointed about the pocket ladders and teleporting units on walls

@Cloud_imperium said:

So Fvckin Excited!!! If everything goes well on launch, I expect it to be best in the series.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Cloud_imperium

@thepclovingguy said:

We can only pray that ca wont **** this one up, I am already a bit disappointed about the pocket ladders and teleporting units on walls

@Cloud_imperium said:

Are pocket ladders final design choice or in the final build it'll be more realistic? Have they confirmed anything??? If pocket ladders are in the final game then it'll be a disappointment and will take away the realism from the game.

thepclovingguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By thepclovingguy

http://wiki.totalwar.com/w/Siege_Q_and_A

Its final, they are going to keep it. Hopefully, it can fixed through modding. In my opinion, ladders worked just fine in the older games, I still dont understand why they had to change it.

@Cloud_imperium said:
@thepclovingguy said:

@Cloud_imperium said:

Are pocket ladders final design choice or in the final build it'll be more realistic? Have they confirmed anything??? If pocket ladders are in the final game then it'll be a disappointment and will take away the realism from the game.

Shawty_Beatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#26 Shawty_Beatz
Member since 2014 • 1269 Posts

@blue_hazy_basic said:
Loading Video...

My hype is through the roof for this, can't remember being this excited for a game in a long time. The sheer diversity of unit types is amazing, will be utterly different playing each faction (hopefully with more in the future).

That looks very impressive. Sadly I have to upgrade my PC first. PC's getting too many goodies that aren't available on PS4, so it's about time.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Cloud_imperium

@thepclovingguy said:

Its final, they are going to keep it. Hopefully, it can fixed through modding. In my opinion, ladders worked just fine in the older games, I still dont understand why they had to change it.

@Cloud_imperium said:
@thepclovingguy said:

@Cloud_imperium said:

WTF CA??? Imagine watching replay of the battle where units will suddenly pull ladders out of their ass instead of carrying them and running towards walls while avoiding arrows, like in previous TW games. This sucks... They are making TW more and more casual with every game. We are slowly loosing what makes TW great. I really hope they'll reconsider.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Cloud_imperium

Have to say, wall teleportation is easily the biggest (and only) disappointment for me so far. So many people cry about stuff like this that they removed the entire feature. Sieges are suppose to be difficult and risky, that's part of the fun.

If CA thinks that ladders are glitchy and don't work properly then they could fix them by either making them wider, improving the AI or tweaking animations. Instead they completely removed the feature for "smoother gameplay experience". This is just lazy and a big disappointment. It makes big ass walls pretty useless.

thepclovingguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 thepclovingguy

@Cloud_imperium said:
@thepclovingguy said:

@Cloud_imperium said:
@thepclovingguy said:

@Cloud_imperium said:

WTF CA??? Imagine watching replay of the battle where units will suddenly pull ladders out of their ass instead of carrying them and running towards walls while avoiding arrows, like in previous TW games. This sucks... They are making TW more and more casual with every game. We are slowly loosing what makes TW great. I really hope they'll reconsider.

Agreed, this does not only affect the game visually, but also gameplay wise, which really sucks, same goes for the teleporting units, they wont be using stairs anymore to get down from walls, but instead they just teleport down.

thepclovingguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 thepclovingguy

They could have done the same thing like they did in attila and rome 2 that would have been ok for me. But no they had to remove the ladders completely.

Loading Video...
Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Cloud_imperium

@thepclovingguy: Agreed. It was lazy to completely remove this feature. Let's hope that they will patch it later on or will at least include stair mechanic in expansions and then make them backward compatible with the initial game.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#32 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

I'm a bit out of the loop, are Chaos going to be part of the normal, base game? not part of a pre-order bonus (I believe this was the case at one point)

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#33 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

thepclovingguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By thepclovingguy

The preorder dlc makes them playable, so yes they are still in the base game, you just cant play as them.

@with_teeth26 said:

I'm a bit out of the loop, are Chaos going to be part of the normal, base game? not part of a pre-order bonus (I believe this was the case at one point)

Avatar image for samanthademeste
samanthademeste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 samanthademeste
Member since 2010 • 1553 Posts

The Empire>Chaos.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 GarGx1

@Cloud_imperium said:

@thepclovingguy: Agreed. It was lazy to completely remove this feature. Let's hope that they will patch it later on or will at least include stair mechanic in expansions and then make them backward compatible with the initial game.

It's a lazy move by CA but it started with Empire where troops carried grappling hooks (fair enough but not realistic) and continued with Shogun 2, those f*ckers just climbed the walls, I can understand a squad of Ninjas pulling that off but heavily armoured Nodachi swordsmen or peasant Ashigaru spearmen, I think not.

I may be wrong but wall breaching looks like it's a no go as well.

thepclovingguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 thepclovingguy

Actually climbing castle walls was a real thing in Japan, its because Japanese castles were built to withstand earthquakes, which made them more vulnerable to these types of attacks. Also, I never really liked sieges in empire nor napoleon, they were extremely boring anyway.

@GarGx1 said:
@Cloud_imperium said:

It's a lazy move by CA but it started with Empire where troops carried grappling hooks (fair enough but not realistic) and continued with Shogun 2, those f*ckers just climbed the walls, I can understand a squad of Ninjas pulling that off but heavily armoured Nodachi swordsmen or peasant Ashigaru spearmen, I think not.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By foxhound_fox

@samanthademeste said:

The Empire>Chaos.

Well obviously. To say otherwise would be heresy.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 GarGx1

@thepclovingguy said:

Actually climbing castle walls was a real thing in Japan, its because Japanese castles were built to withstand earthquakes, which made them more vulnerable to these types of attacks. Also, I never really liked sieges in empire nor napoleon, they were extremely boring anyway.

@GarGx1 said:
@Cloud_imperium said:

I didn't know that, it's good to learn something new and unexpected. I'd have thought they could have come up with a way of stopping enemy soldiers climbing into the castle, once they reached the top of the walls, though.

With Empire I never actually defended the walls in a siege, I filled the internal block houses with troops and set up killing grounds at the base of stairwells and doors, then let the enemy in. Volley fire against a large bunched up group is lethal, even more so when you add in grenadiers and canon loaded with grape shot.

thepclovingguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 thepclovingguy

I love grapeshots, they almost look like giant shotgun pellets. Artillery used to be so powerful in empire.

Loading Video...

@GarGx1 said:
@thepclovingguy said:

@GarGx1 said:
@Cloud_imperium said:

I didn't know that, it's good to learn something new and unexpected. I'd have thought they could have come up with a way of stopping enemy soldiers climbing into the castle, once they reached the top of the walls, though.

With Empire I never actually defended the walls in a siege, I filled the internal block houses with troops and set up killing grounds at the base of stairwells and doors, then let the enemy in. Volley fire against a large bunched up group is lethal, even more so when you add in grenadiers and canon loaded with grape shot.

blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator

I love this :)

@foxhound_fox said:

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Cloud_imperium

@GarGx1 said:
@Cloud_imperium said:

Wall climbing kinda worked for Shogun 2 because fighters were samurais, ninjas and stuff but in Warhammer teleportation without any animation feels bad IMO. Since, this is fantasy, they could've done a lot of other things if they didn't want stairs,,, like grappling hook, some sort of magic, or completely new equipment.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

Those chaos look incredibly well made. Going to be my fav. Total War yet, with actually unique armies this time. Historical is neat, butt he freedom of fantasy will make this shine.

Lots of good warhammer stuff lately, it's great.

Total War, Vermintide, and now I'm play Battlefleet Gothic, which is really fun.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#44  Edited By Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

@blue_hazy_basic said:

@foxhound_fox said:

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 foxhound_fox

@Ballroompirate said:
@blue_hazy_basic said:

thepclovingguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By thepclovingguy

Shouldnt we post warhammer fantasy related stuff instead?

@foxhound_fox said:
@Ballroompirate said:
@blue_hazy_basic said:

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 foxhound_fox

@thepclovingguy said:

Shouldnt we post warhammer fantasy related stuff instead?

You could... but 40K is so much better.