Top 5 sandbox games on the market?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Celtic_34
Member since 2011 • 1903 Posts

Trying to be objective here rating on build quality, fun factor, technology everything in between. Not just what my favorite ones are..

1. GTA V

2. Elder Scrolls

3. Red Dead Redemption

4. FAllout

5. Assassin's Creed

Now my my two cents and soapbox. I actually like assassin's creed best. They actually mix some puzzle solving into their games but the quality and how they do it is just meh... A lot of these games in general just throw a lot at you and are more trying to appeal to so many people kind of miss the point imo... Maybe the most overhyped genre out there imo because so much can be done better imo in such a huge open world but only a few publishers are really pushing the technology to its limits.. They are games and meant to be fun but they also miss the mark in doing so sometimes and this genre has become more and more streamlined, force fed and shovelware imo... Not sure these games are becoming more fun or interesting or just more of the same and more streamlined and becoming all the same pretty much. At least the elder scrolls and fallout still have rpg elements and questing and stuff like that. So open ended though. I actually prefer more of an action adventure with something more to the missions then just drive here and shoot this guy or drive there and do this . My main gripe with sandbox games nowadays is how it is all presented. People don't understand a challenge nowadays imo and how that can be fun. Adventure games back int he day even games like police quest you had to figure certain things out that would unlock other areas. Some of these games are presented this way but others aren't. I still think an open world detective game where you can unlock areas as you progress the story would work better with more depth to it. I also think developers try to be overly edgy or whatever they are and they don't really accomplish that at all. They try too hard to be something they aren't.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#2 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

Sandbox in what sense?

Like pure sandbox? or an open world game? or a game with open design? Because I think there is some range there, especially with rpgs thrown into the mix.

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts

open world =/= sandbox.

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 darkangel115
Member since 2013 • 4562 Posts

@Celtic_34 said:

Trying to be objective here rating on build quality, fun factor, technology everything in between. Not just what my favorite ones are..

1. GTA V

2. Elder Scrolls

3. Red Dead Redemption

4. FAllout

5. Assassin's Creed

Now my my two cents and soapbox. I actually like assassin's creed best. They actually mix some puzzle solving into their games but the quality and how they do it is just meh... A lot of these games in general just throw a lot at you and are more trying to appeal to so many people kind of miss the point imo... Maybe the most overhyped genre out there imo because so much can be done better imo in such a huge open world but only a few publishers are really pushing the technology to its limits.. They are games and meant to be fun but they also miss the mark in doing so sometimes and this genre has become more and more streamlined, force fed and shovelware imo... Not sure these games are becoming more fun or interesting or just more of the same and more streamlined and becoming all the same pretty much. At least the elder scrolls and fallout still have rpg elements and questing and stuff like that. So open ended though. I actually prefer more of an action adventure with something more to the missions then just drive here and shoot this guy or drive there and do this . My main gripe with sandbox games nowadays is how it is all presented. People don't understand a challenge nowadays imo and how that can be fun. Adventure games back int he day even games like police quest you had to figure certain things out that would unlock other areas. Some of these games are presented this way but others aren't. I still think an open world detective game where you can unlock areas as you progress the story would work better with more depth to it. I also think developers try to be overly edgy or whatever they are and they don't really accomplish that at all. They try too hard to be something they aren't.

can't argue with the top 4 but the AC series isn't very good. I'd have to substitute it out. probably add SO if you consider it a sandbox, if not maybe SRIV, much better then any AC game or Arkham city. Depends really on what you consider a sandbox. most games now blur the lines on genres. Most games could easily fit into 2-3 categories

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52424 Posts

SAINTS ROW 4.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Just Cause 2(and soon 3)

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

None of those are sandboxes. But yes, GTA V is currently the best open-world game.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5557 Posts

Can someone please explain the difference between open world and sandbox?

I always thought they were the same... I certainly thought Fallout/ Elder Scrolls/ Just cause were all sandbox games.

Or does sandbox just refer to Sim games or world creation games? (like minecraft)

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

@enzyme36 said:

I always thought they were the same... I certainly thought Fallout/ Elder Scrolls/ Just cause were all sandbox games.

Or does sandbox just refer to Sim games or world creation games? (like minecraft)

There's no real fixed definition. Sandbox refers more to the ability to create your own stuff, or content. Open world usually means the ability to go anywhere in the world from the start.

But in games like TES and GTA, both definitions seem to work so it's tricky to nail it down.

So, i have no idea myself.

Has for the best open world gme, i don't know. Between TES, Black Flag, Red Dead Redemption, Far Cry and Crysis, all have their pros and cons.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

@enzyme36 said:

Me too. I thought so-called open-world games shouldn't have boundaries whether it's a physical obstacle or the threat of being killed/timing out. They're just giant sandboxes.

The only real open-open world game I know is Flight Simulator X. Hell. You can circle the Earth if you want. Fly east. You'll eventually arrive back coming from the west.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#12 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14414 Posts

GTA V

Saint's Row The Third.

Just Cause 2

Fallout New Vegas

Skyrim

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

I liked the new AC Unity

Fallout 3

GTA V

Oblivion

Halo 5??????? soon to be????

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

Dragon's Age Inquisition

Fallout New Vegas

Those are the big two for me. I haven't played GTA V and Skyrim absolutely bored me to tears.

Assassin's Creed is more an open world for the sake of it than a game. ALL the side missions are pointless and 'kill this dude who was in a cutscene' gameplay wore really thin for me really fast. Black Flag was the best of a bad lot but I would never put it in any 'best of' list.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23895 Posts

The best sandboxes imo are, in no specific order.

1. X3 (Space Sim)
  2. Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri (4X/TBS)
  3. Mount&Blade: Warband (Sword and Board)
  4. EVE: Online (MMOG/Space Sim)
  5. Dwarf Fortress (RTS)

Honorable Mention: Europa Universalis 3, didnt play enough of it. But the game showed so much depth from what little I played.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

OP says sandbox, and all the games he listed are too limiting to be a true sandbox.

And doesn't include Minecraft, which is as sandbox as you can get.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60705 Posts

GTA

JC2

FC3

SO

Skyrim

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Maroxad

@funsohng said:

OP says sandbox, and all the games he listed are too limiting to be a true sandbox.

And doesn't include Minecraft, which is as sandbox as you can get.

I would say Dwarf Fortress beats it out on the sandbox aspect, but it is really close (redstone ftw)... and well MineCraft is a LOT more popular.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/v0.31:Dwarven_physics

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

All GTA games and Farcry 3-4

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#20 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@Celtic_34 said:

1. GTA V

2. Elder Scrolls

3. Red Dead Redemption

4. FAllout

5. Assassin's Creed

Hmm, it really depends on what your most important criteria is.

But my top 5 would be for pure gameplay fun

1: GTA

2: Fallout

3: Just Cause 2

4: Red Dead

5: Saints Row (Even though it has one of the smallest maps of any open world game)

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44542 Posts

Let us not forget the awesome Just Cause 2, I also really loved Saints Row The Third, haven't played any of the other Saints Row games though. Red Dead Redemption has to be my favorite of Rockstar's 7th gen games.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#22 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts
  1. The Elder Scrolls (Skyrim/Oblivion/Morrowind)
  2. Freelancer
  3. Grand Theft Auto 4/Mafia

Semi Open World

1. Divinity : Original Sin
  2. Crysis
04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

The term sand box and open box tend to get mixed together and separating what is actually open and what is "sandy" aka dev's give you tools to allow to change the outcome.

Sand box games are games you create your own fun, ideas, changing the outcomes, Open world based games are games that have large areas to play in,aka free roaming.

Sandbox examples would be like Minecraft, or Garry's Mod or even Little Big Planet

Open world is like Saints Row, GTA, some rpg's, some MMO's and others.

Avatar image for TrappedInABox91
TrappedInABox91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 TrappedInABox91
Member since 2013 • 1483 Posts

Oblivion and Fallout 3. (Skyrim disappointed me)

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#26 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

FC3

FC4

GTA V

Micropixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28 Micropixel
Member since 2005 • 1383 Posts

Wow, a lot of you don't know what a sandbox game is (and are confusing it with open-world).

1. EVE Online
2. Minecraft
3. Terraria
4. Arma 3
5. ArcheAge

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#29  Edited By Catalli  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 3453 Posts

DefconRave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#30 DefconRave
Member since 2013 • 806 Posts

Really liked State of Decay. Don't really play many sandbox games tho.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44033 Posts

I'll just list the most fun 2 player co-op sandbox... Crackdown.

Crackdown 2 sucked but bring on the all new mighty cloud powahed Crackdown 3 baby. :P

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Maroxad

Seems like a lot of people dont understand what a sandbox is.

1. One game provides me with a big open world to explore, and a big checklist to complete. But the potential for emergent gameplay is very low. (Far Cry, GTA, Assassins Creed)
  2. The other game provides me lets me constantly engineer new strategies, using the AI, map, and game mechanics in ways the developers never intended to, the only limitation to my possibiliites ingame are my limitations set by my lack of technical mechancis and creativity. (Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri).

Example 1 is not a sandbox, but freeroam/open world. Number 2 is a sandbox, as the emergent gameplay is strong enough to justify that claim.

Loading Video...

That is a sandbox, not GTA (Which while not a sandbox, does freeroaming really well).

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#33 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14414 Posts

This thread has been ruined by you know who once again.

Old_Gooseberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#34 Old_Gooseberry
Member since 2002 • 3958 Posts

@freedomfreak said:

SAINTS ROW 4.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ it beats every game on that list