Top 3 franchises Sony needs to resurrect

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (12477 posts) -

Mine would be 3 excellent ones from the PS1 era, coincidentally all of them were made by British studios which are now reduced to mere shadows of their former selves, as SCE Cambridge is now Guerrila Cambridge which was responsible for some casual shovelware for PS3 and some ports for PSVita such as LittleBigPlanet or that standalone Killzone spin-off. Psygnosis had been used to be SCE Liverpool before its closure in 2012 (all they were allowed to do was some lousy Formula One game, downloadable WipeOut game and a standalone WipeOut game for Vita). What a disgrace.

1.MediEvil

2.Colony Wars

3.G-Police

honorable mention: Overboard! (alt. title: Shipwreckers)

By the way, please don't mention 2nd party exclusives that were on Sony consoles. Only 1st party. And yes, Psygnosis was ACQUIRED by Sony in 1993 but the exclusive deals were different back then so that some of their games appeared on PC or even Saturn.

#2 Posted by Sweenix (5957 posts) -

1. Syphon Filter

2. Legend of Dragoon

3. Demon Souls

#3 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (12477 posts) -

@Sweenix said:

1. Syphon Filter

2. Legend of Dragoon

3. Demon Souls

Oh yeah! Syphon Filter, I totally forgot! I loved these games - I've beat the original trilogy (well actually I didn't beat the first one coz I only had a demo of it). 2 and 3 had nice local multiplayer as well!

#4 Posted by Floppy_Jim (25834 posts) -

Syphon Filter, Demon's Souls and Wipeout. Yeah, two of those are recent but w/e.

#5 Posted by ArisShadows (22784 posts) -

Syphon Filter

Ape Escape

Rogue Galaxy

#6 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (12477 posts) -

@ArisShadows said:

Syphon Filter

Ape Escape

Rogue Galaxy

Ape Escape was a really fun game, I played it, it was one of the most inventive platformers of its era.

Avatar image for FreedomFreeLife
#7 Posted by FreedomFreeLife (3948 posts) -

Ape Escape, the classic !!! If they made Ape Escape like the first one, then it would be great. Spyro same thing but they don´t own rights anymore.

#8 Posted by Netret0120 (3290 posts) -

Tomba

Syphon Filter

Crash Bandicoot.

#9 Edited by Kjranu (1657 posts) -

I would love to see Legend of Dragoon resurrected. It was one of my favorite RPGs when I was younger, and it is still great fun on my Vita repurchase. Sony really should utilize the franchise and make it the RPG to buy a Playstation for. Cover every genre!

#10 Edited by The_Last_Ride (76371 posts) -

i would really like some remakes or some HD stuff

#11 Edited by Salt_The_Fries (12477 posts) -

@Netret0120 said:

Tomba

Syphon Filter

Crash Bandicoot.

I loved Tomba. I'd actually kill to play it again somehow! The first one and the sequel.

#12 Posted by clyde46 (48952 posts) -

The Getaway.

#13 Posted by Suppaman100 (5250 posts) -

-Crash bandicoot

-Syphon Filter

-Medival

honorable mentions:

-spyro

-legend of dragoon

...so many great franchises

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
#14 Posted by StrongBlackVine (13235 posts) -

Demon Souls

Resistance

Crash(just because other people want it)

#15 Posted by gameofthering (10951 posts) -

Give me more MediEvil!

#16 Posted by freedomfreak (48813 posts) -
@clyde46 said:

The Getaway.

Mmmhm.

One of the main reasons why I got a Ps3 in the first place. Suck a donkey dick, Sony.

#17 Posted by yokofox33 (30774 posts) -

Valkyria Chronicles. Nothing more. That's it. Localize the 3rd game and then bring new installments.

#18 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (10669 posts) -

Bring back SOCOM. Dont screw it up this time.

#19 Edited by applefan1991 (3330 posts) -

Crash, Jak & Daxter, Resistance

#20 Edited by Ratchet_Fan8 (5554 posts) -

DemOn Souls in 2016

JAK in 2015

medievil 2014

Make it happen GODNY

#21 Edited by The_Last_Ride (76371 posts) -

Crash is probably a good answer aswell

#22 Edited by foxhound_fox (95256 posts) -

A console reboot of Syphon Filter would probably convince me to get a PS4.

MedEvil is another grossly underused IP in their library. That franchise should have been a staple on the PS3.

And Bushido Blade is something that could really use a comeback at some point.

Then again, they are only interested in money, so Syphon Filter would end up being either a Gears or Uncharted clone, MedEvil would end up being a God of War clone and Bushido Blade would end up being another generic fighter with QTE cutscenes for finishers.

#23 Posted by ominous_titan (1166 posts) -

Demons souls 2 must happen

#24 Posted by j_assassin (987 posts) -

demons souls, valkyria

Avatar image for always_explicit
#25 Posted by always_explicit (3370 posts) -

If they came out with a Crash Bandicoot game, a spyro game and G-police I would be ordering my PS4 on Amazon right this second. The lacklustre launch lineup was what put me off purchasing one in the first place.

#26 Posted by PyratRum (734 posts) -

Ape Escape (the franchise hasn't exactly been dormant but Ape Escape 4 needs to happen already)
Legend of Dragoon
Fat Princess

#27 Posted by PAL360 (28143 posts) -

Colony Wars

Medievil

Jak and Daxter

#28 Edited by Flubbbs (4565 posts) -

i would love to see Sony pickup Oddworld Inhabitants and bring them back to their rightful home on Playstation and finish the Quintology they originally planned. Other then that i would love to see a new MediEvil and Demon's Souls

#29 Posted by Boddicker (4243 posts) -

@Salt_The_Fries said:

Mine would be 3 excellent ones from the PS1 era, coincidentally all of them were made by British studios which are now reduced to mere shadows of their former selves, as SCE Cambridge is now Guerrila Cambridge which was responsible for some casual shovelware for PS3 and some ports for PSVita such as LittleBigPlanet or that standalone Killzone spin-off. Psygnosis had been used to be SCE Liverpool before its closure in 2012 (all they were allowed to do was some lousy Formula One game, downloadable WipeOut game and a standalone WipeOut game for Vita). What a disgrace.

1.MediEvil

2.Colony Wars

3.G-Police

honorable mention: Overboard! (alt. title: Shipwreckers)

By the way, please don't mention 2nd party exclusives that were on Sony consoles. Only 1st party. And yes, Psygnosis was ACQUIRED by Sony in 1993 but the exclusive deals were different back then so that some of their games appeared on PC or even Saturn.

I'm in total agreeance on Colony Wars. That game was nothing short of brilliant.

MediEvil. Hmmm......not really sure about this one. I've played it but I don't think I beat it.

G-Police. I don't think I ever played that one.

#30 Posted by Tqricardinho (477 posts) -

Ape Escape, Spyro the Dragon (not that Skylanders bullshit), Crash Bandicoot, MediEvil.

Sorry for the extra one, I knew it was 3 but I can't exclude any of those... they marked my childhood.

#31 Posted by widdowson91 (1248 posts) -

PaRappa the fucking Rapper. That'd make my year.

#32 Posted by bforrester420 (3393 posts) -

I'd really like a proper Twisted Metal. I didn't bother with the PS3 Twisted Metal because it was online focused.

That said, I'll echo Crash Bandicoot and Syphon Filter as well.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
#33 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (18733 posts) -

Tomba.

Darkcloud.

pretty much everything everyone already said in this thread. Medievil was an awesome series.

Sony's def got some serious 1st party muscle, and they'd have even more if they used a phoenix down on these baby's.

#34 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38222 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

The Getaway.

Yeah this is one of the big ones. That series just died and was never heard from again despite being really cool

I agree with others that say Syphon FIlter and Legend of Dragoon too

Honorable mention to Medieval

#35 Posted by Heil68 (56383 posts) -

Crash Bandicoot.

Medieval

Spyro

#36 Posted by mems_1224 (55111 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

The Getaway.

The only correct answer

#37 Posted by cainetao11 (28213 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

A console reboot of Syphon Filter would probably convince me to get a PS4.

MedEvil is another grossly underused IP in their library. That franchise should have been a staple on the PS3.

And Bushido Blade is something that could really use a comeback at some point.

Then again, they are only interested in money, so Syphon Filter would end up being either a Gears or Uncharted clone, MedEvil would end up being a God of War clone and Bushido Blade would end up being another generic fighter with QTE cutscenes for finishers.

Oh wow, fox. Bushido Blade! I haven't thought of that in so long, and you are dead right. I would love that to be brought back. Syphon, and MedEvil and a proper Socom as well. I didn't mind 4, but it was forgettable.

#38 Edited by Omega-316 (981 posts) -

Socom.

#39 Posted by XboxStache (1530 posts) -

My picks.

Socom.

Maximo. (Two terribly underrated games)

Siphon Filter (series has so much potential even though the last game wasn't released too long ago)

Resistance. (the 1st one.)

Jak.

#40 Edited by tonitorsi (8677 posts) -

Parasite Eve 3, by far has to be on Sony's top list.

Developed by Naughty Dog or a capable developer that's got a neat affinity to recreate old school third person, Resident Evil-type survival / horror formula with haunting soundtrack and therefore implement that with solid RPG mechanics system and backed up by a good story to bring back PE to its ace former glory.

I remember the enemy designs being so crazy unique for these games.

Edit* I'd be down for a Demon Souls II by Hidetaka Miyazaki, tbh,

#41 Edited by lamprey263 (32832 posts) -

I second Colony Wars and G-Police, used to have these games years back and reacquired them with PS3 having PS1 BC. Anyhow, no more Psygnosis, Sony wasted their talents having them make lame ass F1 games.

Anyhow, most franchises of the PS1 era I'd like to see revived probably come from third parties.

#42 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (11209 posts) -

Good to see people saying Syphon Filter!

#43 Posted by clyde46 (48952 posts) -

@lamprey263 said:

I second Colony Wars and G-Police, used to have these games years back and reacquired them with PS3 having PS1 BC. Anyhow, no more Psygnosis, Sony wasted their talents having them make lame ass F1 games.

Anyhow, most franchises of the PS1 era I'd like to see revived probably come from third parties.

Their F1 games was fucking baller, you should stop talking.

#44 Posted by noodlevixen (480 posts) -

None. Look what the others did to Spyro. JUST LOOOOKKK.

#45 Edited by Ghost120x (4849 posts) -

I'm tired of all the shooters and wannbe movie games. Sony need to bring some real games back like:

Dark clould

Ape Escape

Spyro

The more platformers the better, I say,

Edit: I know what happened but wipeout needs to return on ps4!

#46 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (28522 posts) -

New Ape Escape and Legend of Dragoon would be nice. And a new Medievil game would be cool too, but I honest Doubt Sony is actually responsible for any of those franchises.

#47 Edited by lamprey263 (32832 posts) -
@clyde46 said:

@lamprey263 said:

Their F1 games was fucking baller, you should stop talking.

F1 is niche and has no marketability outside of Europe, it's a recipe for disaster and probably the biggest reason Psygnosis got canned

#48 Posted by R4gn4r0k (23716 posts) -

They should make another Patapon for Vita, love those games.

#49 Posted by Nengo_Flow (10644 posts) -

MAG

Heavenly Sword

Resistance

There is nothing from the PS1 or PS2 days that i want on the PS4.

#50 Posted by KratosYOLOSwag (1827 posts) -

I can't limit it to only 3.

Syphon Filter (there's a good chance this is Bend's new game)

Crash Bandicoot

Jak and Daxter

Demon's Souls (or maybe a successor to it)

Warhawk (one of the best mp games from last gen imo)