Top 10 RPGs Of The Generation!

• 129 results
Posted by mjorh (693 posts) 1 month, 22 days ago

Poll: Top 10 RPGs Of The Generation! (122 votes)

Final Fantasy XIII 2%
Valkyria Chronicles 2%
Dragon Age: Origins 8%
Xenoblade Chronicles 16%
Diablo III 1%
The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Enhanced Edition 14%
Dark Souls II 3%
Fallout 3 10%
Mass Effect 2 12%
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 15%
Others 16%

Gameinformer recently has made a list of top 10 RPGs of the generation and i thought it'd be a good idea to have a discussion about the experiences that we had with the RPGs and choose the best among them which i hope Mass Effect 2 be the victorious (not Skyrim!), the polling options are in a respective order defined by GI's staff and i had nothing to do with it.

I'd go with the true masterpiece, Mass Effect 2 !

Source

#101 Edited by padaporra (3393 posts) -

There is only one correct answer.

#102 Posted by Heil68 (43450 posts) -

Mass Effect and Skyrim last gen.

#103 Posted by indigenous_euphoria (152 posts) -

Lost odyssey

#104 Edited by uninspiredcup (7831 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

Mass Effect and Skyrim last gen.

Non games.

#105 Posted by princeofshapeir (13753 posts) -

They're putting Dark Souls II instead of Dark Souls or Demon's Souls... ugh

#106 Edited by princeofshapeir (13753 posts) -

@7mdma said:

@casharmy said:

What the Fuck kind on shit poll is this, Final Fantasy XIII?

Can this even be considered serious? pff

1. Demon's Souls

2. anything else is secondary compared to this RPG last generation.

Demons Souls/Dark Souls are 3rd person hack and slash games. Like Diablo 3, there's very little actual role-playing.

My best role-playing game with choice and consequences and an interactive, reactive world and good writing was Fallout New Vegas.

The Souls games absolutely are RPGs...

#107 Posted by PS4hasNOgames (1360 posts) -

@system-reboot said:

TC forgot to put this on poll

Easily , one of the best games ever made .

I wish more people were smart enough to play this game. Expertly crafted levels.

#108 Posted by BPoole96 (22784 posts) -

@TheEroica: Bring on Magicka 2 as well. I'm curious how it will play on PS4

#109 Posted by AdobeArtist (22819 posts) -

Mass Effect is a TPS with RPG elements.

More like Mass Effect is an RPG with TPS combat.

#110 Edited by Ballroompirate (22555 posts) -
#111 Edited by AmazonAngry (945 posts) -

@Krelian-co: Dark Souls is better

#DealWithIT

2009 demons souls GS goty

#deltwith :)

#112 Posted by AdobeArtist (22819 posts) -
#113 Posted by Ballroompirate (22555 posts) -

@AdobeArtist: I'm gonna take your crown of best sig maker this year >:P

#114 Posted by PurpleLabel (301 posts) -

Why is ff 13 on the list? lol really?

#115 Edited by rabakill (583 posts) -

@TheEroica said:

@jg4xchamp said:
  1. Demon's Souls
  2. Dark Souls
  3. Fallout New Vegas

Wasn't expecting you to say New Vegas... I Like F3 more, but admittedly New Vegas didn't have the luxury of being first up to bat. Just couldn't get past the launch window bugs... it's probably the only game I played in Gen7 that I can honestly say, the performance of the game dragged down my overall opinion of the game in the end. Too many broken quests lines and reloading old saves for me to forgive... Setting was cool but maybe not as fully realized as I was hoping. What they did get right was player choice, alliances and how that effected the overall personal forging of "your own" adventure. I dug that a lot.

I played it super late, because Obsidian.

When I played it the game was hunky dory. It plays the way I want a rpg of this ilk to play. My build and decisions effecting my playthrough creating a proper player driven narrative, and not the facade that The Walking Dead, Mass Effect, or 999 go for is what I loved so much about it. I don't like the vats combat stuff, but New Vegas's questing makes up for that stuff in spades. Bethesda's game in comparison to me is with the exception of Morrowind, typical Bethesda: it's great for escapism.

They create this amusement part of a setting with all this shit going on and it's fun to just explore it, be in it, and enjoy it for just that. A moment to be away. But the actual questing, main line actions, and combat centric stuff is boring to me (unless it's Morrowind, that games speaks Champ). Not that I don't get the appeal of what Bethesda does, I do. I respect it even (more so than I do other devs who make poor gameplay games by stance), but it's not built for me the way New Vegas was.

It's not that it's just boring to you, it's bad. I couldn't force myself to finish Skyrim, I watched the ending on youtube and was shocked at how bad it was. That being said; modding in battlegrounds, more dragons and monsters in Skyrim made for the biggest battles I've seen in any game ever until it would crash because of the 4gb limitation. I am pumped for the next Bethesda game because they make their games so good for modding. I'll buy a super fast pc and watch a few hundred dragons fight an army

#116 Posted by 93BlackHawk93 (5309 posts) -
  1. Dark Souls
  2. Xenoblade Chronicles
  3. Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor
  4. Demon's Souls
  5. Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies
#117 Posted by thehig1 (1389 posts) -

My favorite RPG's of last gen

1. Lost Odyssey

2. Skyrim

3. Deus Ex Human Revolution

4. Mass Effect

5. The Witcher 2

#118 Posted by mjorh (693 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

THIS!

Seriously Mass Effect 2 balanced action with RPG in the best possible way ....man that final mission ....Shepard gave that epic speech ....all your decisions had impact on the ending ....that awesome story and narrative ....THAT villain ! ...seriously did Skyrim had any of these ?!

Why is ff 13 on the list? lol really?

Yeah , it's really "lol" !

#119 Posted by ChubbyGuy40 (26102 posts) -
  1. The Witcher 2
  2. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
  3. Fallout: New Vegas
  4. Risen 1
  5. Dark Souls
  6. Dragon Age: Origins
  7. Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
  8. Darksiders 2
  9. Nier
  10. World of Warcraft

Honorable mentions for The Last Story and EYE: Divine Cybermancy. That's my list for games I've played enough to judge so far for the last generation. Still a lot I need to try like Xenoblade, Valkyria, Divinity 2, Dragons Dogma, and many others.

#120 Edited by mooooo99 (1243 posts) -

voted for final fantasy xiii. looks like the only vote as well. oh well.. i loved the game, thought it was awesome.

Still enjoyed mass effect, fallout 3 and skyrim. didnt play any of the others mentioned there..

#121 Posted by AdobeArtist (22819 posts) -

@mjorh said:

@AdobeArtist said:

@foxhound_fox said:

THIS!

Seriously Mass Effect 2 balanced action with RPG in the best possible way ....man that final mission ....Shepard gave that epic speech ....all your decisions had impact on the ending ....that awesome story and narrative ....THAT villain ! ...seriously did Skyrim had any of these ?!

I would say ME3 did a far better job of balancing the action and RPG mechanics. The skill trees were more dynamic with multiple progression options, having more armor configurations (with varying power perks), more weapon variety (that entailed world looting) and bringing back weapon customization.

#122 Posted by bforrester420 (1347 posts) -

Fallout 3? Most people found New Vegas to be superior in every aspect (outside of bugs).

#123 Posted by WallofTruth (1529 posts) -

Lost Odyssey should be on the last. Godly game.

#124 Edited by TheEroica (13306 posts) -

@BPoole96 said:

@TheEroica: Bring on Magicka 2 as well. I'm curious how it will play on PS4

Im psyched as well... I did manage to play a little with the controller configuration they had mapped for magika 1 and it was awful. Mouse and keyboard is, no contest, best way to mix and match spells on the fly in that game... The controller settings had you holding buttons which led to splitting the spell choices... needless to say, pulling off quick spells while maneuvering was a chore. Still, if they sensibly remap them to find a better solution Ill buy on ps4... right now im looking forward to a steam purchase.

#125 Posted by foxhound_fox (87654 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

Which is why most of the games are played behind chest-high-walls.

#126 Posted by AdobeArtist (22819 posts) -

@AdobeArtist said:

@foxhound_fox said:

Which is why most of the games are played behind chest-high-walls.

Touche ;P

#127 Posted by Senor_Kami (8333 posts) -

I guess Mass Effect 2. Good list. I've played all but three of them and all the games I would nominate other than Lost Odyssey made the list.

#128 Posted by Shielder7 (5151 posts) -

Demon Souls.

#129 Posted by mjorh (693 posts) -

Man that was seriously not a good list considering "others" are winning !

#130 Posted by YearoftheSnake5 (7199 posts) -

Last gen had a lot of good RPGs. It's a really tough call for me, but I'm going with Xenoblade.