Top 10 RPG's of all time

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by NaveedLife (17179 posts) -

What are your top 10 RPG's of all time? For me most of my favorites come from the gamecube, but I have not played many of the highly acclaimed PS1 and PS2 RPG's. I am not considering games like Zelda or Animal Crossing to be RPG's. Saying Diablo II in my list is pushing the line on what I mean by RPG. Mine would be something like:

1) Diablo II

2) Tales of Symphonia

3) Baten Kaitos Origins

4) Paper Mario

5) Baten Kaitos

6) Final Fantasy X

7) Paper Mario Thousand Year Door

8 ) Mario RPG Legend of the Seven Stars

9) Tales of Vesperia

10) Golden Sun The Lost Age

There are a couple I would like to put up there, such as Golden Sun and Skies of Arcadia, but probably dont beat any of these. I tried to order them, but it is tough . I need to play all of the awesome RPG's I hear about, like the other Tales of Games, more Final Fantasy games, Chrono Trigger, Dragon Quest games, and more.

#2 Posted by VideoGameGuy (7695 posts) -
[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

What are your top 10 RPG's of all time? For me most of my favorites come from the gamecube, but I have not played many of the highly acclaimed PS1 and PS2 RPG's. I am not considering games like Zelda or Animal Crossing to be RPG's. Saying Diablo II in my list is pushing the line on what I mean by RPG. Mine would be something like:

1) Diablo II

2) Tales of Symphonia

3) Baten Kaitos Origins

4) Paper Mario

5) Baten Kaitos

6) Final Fantasy X

9) Tales of Vesperia

There are a couple I would like to put up there, such as Golden Sun and Skies of Arcadia, but probably dont beat any of these. I tried to order them, but it is tough . I need to play all of the awesome RPG's I hear about, like the other Tales of Games, more Final Fantasy games, Chrono Trigger, Dragon Quest games, and more.

You have Paper Mario, MArio RPG, and Golden Sun, all you need is the MArio and Lugi series and that'd be a good list
#3 Posted by blacktorn (8299 posts) -
if you consider shenmue a rpg then for me its 1.shenmue 2.shenmue II 3.FFX
#4 Posted by Yangire (8795 posts) -

1.) Nethack

#5 Posted by MortgageMan007 (875 posts) -

1) Diablo II

2) Tales of Symphonia

3) Baten Kaitos Origins

4) Paper Mario

5) Baten Kaitos

6) Final Fantasy X

9) Tales of Vesperia

NaveedLife

You list is EPIC FAIL!!! The fact that you don't have Deus Ex on your list at #1 sickens me:evil:

#6 Posted by Wings_008 (3811 posts) -
i don't play too many RPG but one of the best would be Fallout 3 or Final Fantasy X
#7 Posted by Kan0nF0dder (1962 posts) -

1) Baldur's Gate 2

2) Final Fantasy 6

3) Chrono Trigger

4) Planescape:Torment

5) Baldur's Gate

6) Final Fantasy 8

7) Everquest (Ok, it's an MMORPG - but it's still the game with the best Lore - and it was dso much more hardcore than current MMOs)

8) Diablo 2

9) Knights of The Old Republic

10) Deus Ex

....Pretty good list I think, off the top of my head.

Edit: D'oh, how could I forget Fallout 2

#8 Posted by marcogamer07 (1615 posts) -

1) Diablo II

2) Tales of Symphonia

3) Baten Kaitos Origins

4) Paper Mario

5) Baten Kaitos

6) Final Fantasy X

9) Tales of Vesperia

NaveedLife

That's not a bad list.

#10 Posted by sonny2dap (1282 posts) -
Op's list is fail due to lack of deus ex and kotor.
#11 Posted by Arach666 (23042 posts) -

Ultima VII

Fallout

Fallout 2

Planescape: Torment

Baldurs Gate 2

The Witcher

TES: Morowind

TES: Daggerfall

Diablo 2

Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines

#12 Posted by NaveedLife (17179 posts) -

Op's list is fail due to lack of deus ex and kotor.sonny2dap

Way to contribute to the discussion :P. I have ZERO interest in Star Wars and I have not played Deus Ex probably because I wasnt much of PC gamer when it came out, but now I definitely am.

#13 Posted by Shoaka (641 posts) -

1) Baldur's Gate 2.

#14 Posted by Seabas989 (11449 posts) -
  1. Final Fantasy IX
  2. Shining Force
  3. Persona 4
  4. Persona 3: FES
  5. Final Fantasy VI
  6. Knights of the Old Republic
  7. Deus Ex
  8. Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
  9. Chrono Cross
  10. Tales of Symphonia

Right now I am playing TES: Morrowind and SMT: Nocturne and those two games might make my top 10 when I finish them.

#15 Posted by Dead-Memories (6586 posts) -

[QUOTE="sonny2dap"]Op's list is fail due to lack of deus ex and kotor.NaveedLife

Way to contribute to the discussion :P. I have ZERO interest in Star Wars and I have not played Deus Ex probably because I wasnt much of PC gamer when it came out, but now I definitely am.

you don't need to have an interest in star wars to appreciate KOTOR as being one of the best RPG's ever released. but my list would consist of KOTOR, The Witcher, Neverwinter Nights, Mass Effect 2 and Golden Sun off the top of my head. i've played countless RPG's and I pretty much enjoyed most of them.
#16 Posted by omho88 (3967 posts) -
if you consider shenmue a rpg then for me its 1.shenmue 2.shenmue II 3.FFXblacktorn
Great list, i would throw in FFIX and that's mine.
#17 Posted by NaveedLife (17179 posts) -

[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

[QUOTE="sonny2dap"]Op's list is fail due to lack of deus ex and kotor.Dead-Memories

you don't need to have an interest in star wars to appreciate KOTOR as being one of the best RPG's ever released. but my list would consist of KOTOR, The Witcher, Neverwinter Nights, Mass Effect 2 and Golden Sun off the top of my head. i've played countless RPG's and I pretty much enjoyed most of them.

Is Kotor an online RPG like Diablo II, or is it just a SP RPG? I also need to play mass effect sometime, as well as other great rpg like games such as dragon age and bioshock. I have not played any of these yet but wanted to play bioshock the most.

#18 Posted by kozzy1234 (35415 posts) -

Ultima VII

Fallout

Fallout 2

Planescape: Torment

Baldurs Gate 2

The Witcher

TES: Morowind

TES: Daggerfall

Diablo 2

Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines

Arach666

One of the best lists I have ever seen on this site for rpgs.

#19 Posted by kozzy1234 (35415 posts) -

- Ultima series

- Planescape Torment

- Shenmue 1/2

- Wizardry series

- Final Fantasy 7

- Baldurs Gate 2

- KOTOR/KOTOR2

- Daggerfall/Morrowind (Best elderscrolls games that make Oblivion feel very MEH)

- Fallout1/2

- Earthbound

- Diablo2

- Gothic series (minus the trash that was Gothic4)

- Arx Fatalis

- Divine Divinity

- Suikoden 1

Sorry I had to list a few more :P

Out of the new aged RPGS I like the following: The Witcher, Lost Odyssey, Risen, Dragon Age and Fallout New Vegas

I dont consider Deus Ex a rpg (more a fps/rpg) or ME series (though its one of my favs)

#20 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (26737 posts) -

I'll forgive your list for not having a Chrono game on there because you listed Golden Sun The Lost Age.

#21 Posted by HailedJohnDman (1588 posts) -

Kotor

fallout

baldurs gate

demons souls

mass effect 2

all i can think of

#22 Posted by NaveedLife (17179 posts) -

I'll forgive your list for not having a Chrono game on there because you listed Golden Sun The Lost Age.

LegatoSkyheart

Haha, again I have not played all the greatest RPG's there are, such as the chrono games. I am thinking of picking up Chrono Trigger DS though. I would love to get a list of the best RPG's and see which I have not played and just start playing them :P.

#23 Posted by Dead-Memories (6586 posts) -

[QUOTE="Dead-Memories"][QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

NaveedLife

Is Kotor an online RPG like Diablo II, or is it just a SP RPG? I also need to play mass effect sometime, as well as other great rpg like games such as dragon age and bioshock. I have not played any of these yet but wanted to play bioshock the most.

KOTOR is exclusively a single player role playing game in every sense of the word. truly one of the great classics in gaming imo. you would do a disservice to not play it because it's set in the star wars universe
#24 Posted by NaveedLife (17179 posts) -

[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

[QUOTE="Dead-Memories"] you don't need to have an interest in star wars to appreciate KOTOR as being one of the best RPG's ever released. but my list would consist of KOTOR, The Witcher, Neverwinter Nights, Mass Effect 2 and Golden Sun off the top of my head. i've played countless RPG's and I pretty much enjoyed most of them. Dead-Memories

KOTOR is exclusively a single player role playing game in every sense of the word. truly one of the great classics in gaming imo. you would do a disservice to not play it because it's set in the star wars universe

Haha maybe I will give it a try. I am overwhelmed with gamese I want to try that I hear are classics. The thing is a lot of these do not have demos which is really frustrating. How am I supposed to know if I like the game before I buy it? haha, same goes for games like FF XIII. I love it when I know I am going to enjoy the game before anything is really announced about it haha. Paper Mario 3DS here I come :).

#25 Posted by DillonShwing (565 posts) -

1. The Elder Scrolls 4 Oblivion

2. The Elder Scrolls 3 Morrowind

3. Star Wars KOTOR

4. Fallout 3

5. Paper Mario

6. Fable 1

7. Fable 2

8. Dragon Age Origins

9. Mass Effect

10. Quest 64

#26 Posted by raskullibur (3390 posts) -
List threads sucks, we all know our own opinions are better than others.
#27 Posted by Jebus213 (8926 posts) -

I guess people didn't say WoW since its so popular. One of the few popular games I give credit to.

#28 Posted by SilverChimera (9256 posts) -
  1. Uncharted 2
  2. Gears 2
  3. Mass Effect 2
  4. Vanquish
  5. Mass Effect

... Oh, we're not listing third person shooters?

Then I guess...

1. Final Fantasy IX
  2. Demon's Souls
  3. Pokemon Silver
  4. Vagrant Story
  5. Final Fantasy VII
  6. Deus Ex (so far)
  7. Final Fantasy VI
  8. Pokemon Fire Red
  9. The Witcher
  10. Fallout 3

#30 Posted by texasgoldrush (9616 posts) -
Here is a definitive list.. 1. Final Fantasy VI 2. Chrono Trigger 3. Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn 4. Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar 5. Fallout 2 6. Suikoden II 7. Planescape Torment 8. Deus Ex. 9. Star Wars KOTOR 10. Ultima VII: The Black Gate
#31 Posted by texasgoldrush (9616 posts) -
Runner ups Mass Effect 2, Final Fantasy IV, The Witcher, Betrayal at Krondor, and Fallout New Vegas
#32 Posted by moose_knuckler (5722 posts) -
List threads sucks, we all know our own opinions are better than others.raskullibur
I don't think so. If ppl keep mentioning a certain RPG in the top one hasn't played yet, it perhaps persuade them into trying it out (if they can).
#33 Posted by spookykid143 (10393 posts) -

[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

[QUOTE="sonny2dap"]Op's list is fail due to lack of deus ex and kotor.Dead-Memories

good list minus ME2 since it isn't a RPG.

#34 Posted by raskullibur (3390 posts) -
[QUOTE="raskullibur"]List threads sucks, we all know our own opinions are better than others.moose_knuckler
I don't think so. If ppl keep mentioning a certain RPG in the top one hasn't played yet, it perhaps persuade them into trying it out (if they can).

Some of my favorite games are never influenced by reviews. I love FF7 most people here dislikes FF7 especially Nintendo fanboys. If I did not know about FF7 it must sucks because alot of people hate it.
#35 Posted by texasgoldrush (9616 posts) -
[QUOTE="moose_knuckler"][QUOTE="raskullibur"]List threads sucks, we all know our own opinions are better than others.raskullibur

Some of my favorite games are never influenced by reviews. I love FF7 most people here dislikes FF7 especially Nintendo fanboys. If I did not know about FF7 it must sucks because alot of people hate it.

or because FFVII is overrated
#36 Posted by spookykid143 (10393 posts) -

[QUOTE="raskullibur"][QUOTE="moose_knuckler"]I don't think so. If ppl keep mentioning a certain RPG in the top one hasn't played yet, it perhaps persuade them into trying it out (if they can).texasgoldrush

At least it is a RPG more than i can say about ME2.

#37 Posted by texasgoldrush (9616 posts) -

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"][QUOTE="raskullibur"] Some of my favorite games are never influenced by reviews. I love FF7 most people here dislikes FF7 especially Nintendo fanboys. If I did not know about FF7 it must sucks because alot of people hate it.spookykid143

At least in ME2 you actually role play and make choices.....FFVII is a step back from FFVI and Chrono Trigger in the role playing department and doomed the genre and the series to linearity.
#38 Posted by dragonfly110 (27108 posts) -

and Persona.

#39 Posted by spookykid143 (10393 posts) -

[QUOTE="spookykid143"]

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"] or because FFVII is overratedtexasgoldrush

At least in ME2 you actually role play and make choices.....FFVII is a step back from FFVI and Chrono Trigger in the role playing department and doomed the genre and the series to linearity.

Since when does having choices make a RPG?

#40 Posted by enterawesome (9477 posts) -
Hope that was sarcasm because he didn't once claim that was a factual list. In fact, he called for us to contribute to the discussion and list our own, and then he gave his personal choices. Contrsuctive criticism is cool, that ain't. Anyways, my list: Mass Effect 2 Pokemon Emerald Mass Effect 1 Fallout 3 Final Fantasy XIII (STFU I don't wanna hear it) Yes, I'm totally aware that's not ten. I don't play a whole ton of RPGs, though I'd like to.
#41 Posted by gamer620 (3367 posts) -

1) Diablo II

2) Tales of Symphonia

3) Baten Kaitos Origins

4) Paper Mario

5) Baten Kaitos

6) Final Fantasy X

9) Tales of Vesperia

NaveedLife

Based on your list, I get the impression you don't play much PC

#42 Posted by GKinnel (667 posts) -
Don't have a particular order, and probably haven't played as many as yall. But I have some favorites. Final Fantasy 7, Elder SCrolls Oblivion, Demon's Souls, Legend of Legia (spell check), Final Fantasy X... That's all I can think of right now. I don't do PC games unfortunately, so yall forgive me :(
#43 Posted by kuraimen (28078 posts) -
No Xenogears and Chrono Trigger means fail.
#44 Posted by NaveedLife (17179 posts) -

[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

1) Diablo II

2) Tales of Symphonia

3) Baten Kaitos Origins

4) Paper Mario

5) Baten Kaitos

6) Final Fantasy X

9) Tales of Vesperia

gamer620

Based on your list, I get the impression you don't play much PC

I play a lot of PC, but few games on it actually. The reason I don't have other PC exclusive RPG's up there other then my number 1 (Diablo II) is because I didnt use to be a PC gamer and wasnt aware of Deus Ex and others. I plan on trying them and many others I have missed out on. With all the talk of Chrono Trigger and Cross being so good, I might pick up CT DS soon. I want an RPG with a lot of customization.

#45 Posted by NaveedLife (17179 posts) -

[QUOTE="sonny2dap"]Op's list is fail due to lack of deus ex and kotor.enterawesome
Hope that was sarcasm because he didn't once claim that was a factual list. In fact, he called for us to contribute to the discussion and list our own, and then he gave his personal choices. Contrsuctive criticism is cool, that ain't. Anyways, my list: Mass Effect 2 Pokemon Emerald Mass Effect 1 Fallout 3 Final Fantasy XIII (STFU I don't wanna hear it) Yes, I'm totally aware that's not ten. I don't play a whole ton of RPGs, though I'd like to.

Thank you! People keep saying, "OP's list is FAIL!!!" but I already said this is what I have played, which in the grand scheme of things, is not much, hence me wanting to hear everyone elses opinion so we can all get an idea of great RPG's out there.

#46 Posted by Wikipedian (1099 posts) -

1. KOTOR

2. Chrono Trigger

3. FFVI

4. WoW

5. LOTRO

6. Torchlight

7. Pokemon

8. Oblivion

9. FFIV

10. DA:O

#47 Posted by barney_calhoun_ (3887 posts) -

I love how people is saying "OP´s list is fail" when he is telling us his opinion, and he isnt saying its a fact or anything

Mine would probably have Final fantasy IX and Chrono cross on top or something like that

#48 Posted by gamer620 (3367 posts) -
[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

I play a lot of PC, but few games on it actually. The reason I don't have other PC exclusive RPG's up there other then my number 1 (Diablo II) is because I didnt use to be a PC gamer and wasnt aware of Deus Ex and others. I plan on trying them and many others I have missed out on. With all the talk of Chrono Trigger and Cross being so good, I might pick up CT DS soon. I want an RPG with a lot of customization.

GOG is your friend :P
#49 Posted by bbkkristian (14968 posts) -
Final Fantasy VI should be #1
#50 Posted by Diviniuz (6460 posts) -
the lack of Baldur's Gate is hurting me emotionally