Top 10 most disappointing games this gen by PlayDevil

This topic is locked from further discussion.

herzalot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 0

#1 herzalot
Member since 2007 • 977 Posts

Link

10. Lair (PS3) Factor 5 made my favourite N64 and Gamecube series – Rogue Squadron. Sony decided to force them to use the sixaxis controls for theirlaunch title. Unsurprisingly, given that the whole thing was a joke anyway that Sony added at the last minute, the title was a disaster, and the studio went bust- thanks Sony! The patch that allowed you to control the game properly actually made it a decent game- but it was too little, far too late.

9. Bionic Commando (360/ PS3) In fact, I could place any GRIN title here- they all looked great, and promised lots, but never delivered in the gameplay department. Bionic Commando was the worst of the lot though, with terrible checkpointing and linear gameplay that was dull, dull, dull- Capcom have since vowed not to use Western developers again.

8. Haze (PS3) The Free Radical team- responsible for Goldeneye, and Timesplitters, produced, after a protracted development period, a really very average shooter with no personality and really quite appallingly poor multiplayer. Oops. Again, the studio went bust shortly after.

7. Final Fantasy XIII (PS3/ 360) Again, a massive development period. 3 discs of utter nonsense when it boils down to the plot, and 20 hours of tutorials made the game one of the worst JRPGs of the generation so far, and certainly the biggest disappointment.

6. Kane & Lynch (PS3/ 360) Freedom Fighters was one of my favourite games of the previous generation. Io decided to strip out all the good parts and add in some swearing and buggy multiplayer- yay for them!

5. Gears of War 2 (360) A great game, yes- but a real disappointment when compared to the greatness of the first game- who plays the multiplayer anymore, whilst the single player lacked much of the excitement of the first game, just rehashing the same old stuff again.

4. Halo 3 ODST (360) You want to pay full price for an already released multiplayer game and a four hour single player campaign that isn't up to much, and doesn't even add much to the Halo lore? Sign me up Microsoft! Even at the original announced budget price this could have still made the list.

3. Mario Kart Wii (Wii) The world's most frustrating game- with broken AI, courses that don't work with the karts and a healthy dose of rehashed circuits, and abysmal controls using the wiimote, Mario Kart Wii is one of my least favourite multiplayer games on the Wii

2. Lost Planet 2 (360/ PS3) I loved the first game- the demo blew me away. Number 2 looks great, but the generic art design, the bizarre chekpointing and backwards co-op meant I could hardly bear to play this game. Capcom had the best of intentions, but delivered a stinking turd of a game in comparison to the might of the first game.

1. Gran Turismo 5 Prologue (PS3) We were promised updates; they never arrived. Graphically, the game looks great, but everything from the ancient control scheme to the lack of any damage- and even the handling, shows that the series has dropped chronically behind Forza in the racing stakes. PS fanboys will rage into the night, but their beloved racing game, which was once king of the simulators, looks and plays like a tired clone of the mighty Forza now, and I don't have high hopes for GT5- I think that 3D and motion controls will just try and gloss over the rancid old driving model.

farnham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 farnham
Member since 2003 • 21147 Posts

lol@ mario kart wii

is this guy for realz ? mario kart wii is easily the best mario kart ever made with the best online mode and extremely well designed courses. the whole discussion about the rubberband AI makes me think that the people complaining about this are all noobs

i beat all the cups with gold (although not star rank only achieved 50% of the cups with that rank) in about 2 month after its launch. its not that hard. and if you dont like the motion controlls there is also the option to use the gamecube controller. its OPTIONAL

Half-Way

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Half-Way
Member since 2010 • 5001 Posts

lair nr 10? lol

it should be nr. 1

Grawse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Grawse
Member since 2010 • 4342 Posts

Sadly, I agree with the Gears 2 part. I can't even explain how hyped I was for that game. The multiplayer was filled with lag, host bridging, worst host selection known to man and annoying glitches.

I wouldn't even have a PS3 if Gears 2 wasn't such a let down..

CDUB316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 CDUB316
Member since 2009 • 6589 Posts

Mario Kart wii i agree with....the game was great fun with the controls, but i really never went back to it like i did that other mario kart games...it just lacked a certain feel to me that the others had

ODST i didn't mind getting for $60, imma halo fan so i bought it...yea it should have been $40 from the get go, but whatever....i was just happy to have all the H3 maps on one disc and at the time i still only had a 20gb HDD so that saved me some space by deleting past maps....and i really liked the campain too

FFXIII to me wasn't a disappointment...i really like the game and the combat is purely amazing IMO...sure it was linear, but in reality ALL FF games are linear...seriously, they are

and bionic commando i REALLY REALLY LOVED...idk why, but i just had so much fun with that game

Gears 2 i agree with for the multiplayer...but not for the rest...the campaign was extremely fun especially coop with friends and horde was and still is an absolute blast

those are the only ones i can really speak on

Aboogie5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Aboogie5
Member since 2008 • 1118 Posts

haha when the full gt5 comes out... hahaha!!!

farnham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 farnham

Cant agree with FFXIII either. it has a very good battle system one of the best ATB systems ever actually. the story was extremely lacking and the game world was like a narrow path but the ATB system made up for it. its definately better then any other HD JRPG other then Vesperia

Sadly, I agree with the Gears 2 part. I can't even explain how hyped I was for that game. The multiplayer was filled with lag, host bridging, worst host selection known to man and annoying glitches.

Grawse

I knew that Gears 2 would be Gears 1 expansion but it was worse then that. it was a Gears 1 expansion without the feel that made Gears 1 great

DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#8 DraugenCP
Member since 2006 • 8486 Posts

Mario Kart Wii was the first console Mario Kart done right since the first one, so I'll have to say 'no' to that.

farnham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 farnham

Mario Kart Wii was the first console Mario Kart done right since the first one, so I'll have to say 'no' to that.

DraugenCP
indeed
dvalo9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 dvalo9
Member since 2010 • 1301 Posts

Almost all his issues seem to be in multiplayer, this is the way that gaming has gone.

Grawse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Grawse
Member since 2010 • 4342 Posts

[QUOTE="Grawse"]

farnham

I knew that Gears 2 would be Gears 1 expansion but it was worse then that. it was a Gears 1 expansion without the feel that made Gears 1 great

Exactly, Epic should have left the lobby system that Gears 1 had. I have no clue why they tried to get cute implementing a "true" matchmaking nightmare.

Plus they nerfed the shotgun severely. You bought Gears 1 for the Lancer, but you kept playing because of the shotty.

EliteKitteh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 EliteKitteh
Member since 2008 • 805 Posts

1. Gran Turismo 5 Prologue (PS3) We were promised updates; they never arrived. Graphically, the game looks great, but everything from the ancient control scheme to the lack of any damage- and even the handling, shows that the series has dropped chronically behind Forza in the racing stakes. PS fanboys will rage into the night, but their beloved racing game, which was once king of the simulators, looks and plays like a tired clone of the mighty Forza now, and I don't have high hopes for GT5- I think that 3D and motion controls will just try and gloss over the rancid old driving model.

herzalot

"We were promised updates; they never arrived."
Actually, yes, there were multiple updates. Do your research?

"Ancient control scheme"
The control scheme is 100% customisable :|

"looks and plays like a tired clone of the mighty Forza now"
Forza is the clone :| the franchise was built on Gran Turismo's formula :|

"I don't have high hopes for GT5- I think that 3D and motion controls will just try and gloss over the rancid old driving model."
Best driving model in the industry according to people who've played it :|

Who are these clowns? :lol:

farnham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 farnham

[QUOTE="farnham"][QUOTE="Grawse"]

Grawse

Exactly, Epic should have left the lobby system that Gears 1 had. I have no clue why they tried to get cute implementing a "true" matchmaking nightmare.

Plus they nerfed the shotgun severely. You bought Gears 1 for the Lancer, but you kept playing because of the shotty.

I dont even know about multiplayer. Im talking about single player only.

Aboogie5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Aboogie5
Member since 2008 • 1118 Posts

[QUOTE="herzalot"]

EliteKitteh

"Ancient control scheme"

"I don't have high hopes for GT5- I think that 3D and motion controls will just try and gloss over the rancid old driving model."

wanabe fake game critics.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#15 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30574 Posts

Looks a fair list but i would add Farcry2 and alone in the Dark

Gears of war 2, on the other hand was far from dissapointing! Its alot better than the first one imo

Avatar image for The_Gaming_Baby
The_Gaming_Baby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 117

User Lists: 52

#16 The_Gaming_Baby
Member since 2010 • 6425 Posts

Kane & Lynch, couldn't agree more.

fenwickhotmail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17 fenwickhotmail
Member since 2004 • 7308 Posts
I'd agree with most of them apart from Mario Kart and GT5.
SapSacPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SapSacPrime
Member since 2004 • 8925 Posts

Well being disappointed is a personal thing I guess, I strongly disagree with Mario Kart though because its the best in the series imo (including MK DS because excessive snaking looks crap). I disagree about Gears too but I don't overhype games the way some people seem to, Gears 2 improved on every aspect of the original.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d32c9daf505
deactivated-57d32c9daf505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-57d32c9daf505
Member since 2009 • 214 Posts

Frustrating, Mario Kart Wii ?!?

It's actually pretty easy!

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
I fail to see how Spore cannot make any list.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#21 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

Final Fantasy XIII wasn't the best in thei series, but it was a solid game. MArio KArt Wii is very easy to control and a lot of fun. The fact that Lair is so low on the list is surprising.

Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Verge_6
Member since 2007 • 20282 Posts

This list includes ODST, Gears of War 2, and Mario kart Wii....but leaves out Far Cry 2, Spore, Bioshock, and Alone in the Dark. Yup, this be reeking of fail.

louisfoxton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#23 louisfoxton
Member since 2007 • 1400 Posts

What about alan wake

88mphSlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 88mphSlayer
Member since 2010 • 3201 Posts

GT5p wasn't even a disappointment

it was one of the worst made games this gen, and the biggest rip-off this gen

$40 for barely anymore content than GT HD? woopty doo

and some of the races were completely broken, making players cheat just to get past them

and don't even get me started on how horrible the online was for awhile

polyphony had to be one of the laziest top-tier developers this gen when they made that game

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18261 Posts

This list includes ODST, Gears of War 2, and Mario kart Wii....but leaves out Far Cry 2, Spore, Bioshock, and Alone in the Dark. Yup, this be reeking of fail.

Verge_6

Seriously???

Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Verge_6
Member since 2007 • 20282 Posts

[QUOTE="Verge_6"]

madsnakehhh

Seriously???

Yyyyyyyyes? :?
GKinnel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27 GKinnel
Member since 2004 • 667 Posts
I'm not even that big on GT, but even when I played the demo for GT 5 Prologue, it felt totally different.
bobderwood97_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28 bobderwood97_1
Member since 2003 • 964 Posts
[QUOTE="madsnakehhh"]

[QUOTE="Verge_6"]

Verge_6

Seriously???

Yyyyyyyyes? :?

What was so disappointing about the original bioshock? the only thing I can think of was that it was a little bit too short, but that is why I only rented it :P
Mogotoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Mogotoo
Member since 2009 • 1826 Posts

lol@ mario kart wii

is this guy for realz ? mario kart wii is easily the best mario kart ever made with the best online mode and extremely well designed courses. the whole discussion about the rubberband AI makes me think that the people complaining about this are all noobs

i beat all the cups with gold (although not star rank only achieved 50% of the cups with that rank) in about 2 month after its launch. its not that hard. and if you dont like the motion controlls there is also the option to use the gamecube controller. its OPTIONALfarnham

Best? I don't know about that.

I've only played one other MK (Double Dash), but I feel that MKWii took out a whole bunch of stuff for no reason.

1. There's no double dash option. Really, what purpose does leaving that option out serve?
  2. There's fewer battle modes than DD. They took out Shine Thief and Bob-omb Blast (seriously, I loved that one!) and put in a coin-collecting mode. I am disappoint.
  3. There's no character-specific specials, so there's no difference between characters of the same weight.

I will admit, however, that driving with the wiimote was fun. And the vehicle stats were far more detailed.

SpideR_CentS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#30 SpideR_CentS
Member since 2006 • 4766 Posts

[QUOTE="herzalot"]

EliteKitteh

"Ancient control scheme"

Forza is not a clone. They didn't invent racing sims with GT you know.

shahabzelda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#31 shahabzelda
Member since 2008 • 130 Posts
I think the games aren't disappointing, instead the choices are disappointing!
Avatar image for deactivated-5b31d3729c1fa
deactivated-5b31d3729c1fa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-5b31d3729c1fa
Member since 2007 • 11536 Posts

mario kart wii is there but scribblenauts isn't hmm :P

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#33 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

A GT game, at number 1, I didn't expect that, interesting.:twisted:

Wanderer5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Wanderer5
Member since 2006 • 25727 Posts

Mario Kart Wii was disappointing but it was still good and the wiimote controls were just fine.

mo0ksi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#35 mo0ksi
Member since 2007 • 12337 Posts
No Spore or Far Cry 2 makes this list an insta-fail.
Sp4rtan_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Sp4rtan_3
Member since 2010 • 3495 Posts
mario kart ? :lol: why isnt PDZ up there ?
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#37 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

why isnt PDZ up there ?Sp4rtan_3
It was forgotten...