Too scared to even consider buying a PS4.

• 53 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Tony-Baxter (6498 posts) -
Sony is in worse financial shape today than Sega was in during the days of the Dreamcast. Vita is NOT helping with its poor sales and Sony even delayed filming of Ghostbusters 3 due to their money troubles. Iam worried that buying a "PS4" would simply be a waste of money cause theyll just discontinue it like 2 years later. If Sony was smart they'd join forces with Apple or something in making the "PS4" All 3 consoles are allegedly going to have tablet controllers anyway. If Sony joined with Apple then their tablet store would be the best.
#2 Posted by SaltyMeatballs (25150 posts) -
I thought their games division is making them money, correct me if I am wrong but that is what the Cows sing around here. So why would they discontinue PlayStation?
#3 Posted by MonsieurX (29173 posts) -
Not going to happen anytime soon son.
#5 Posted by blackace (19996 posts) -

I thought their games division is making them money, correct me if I am wrong but that is what the Cows sing around here. So why would they discontinue PlayStation?SaltyMeatballs
They have been losing money in their gaming division for the past 2 years. They had back to back billion $ loses in 2010 and 2011. They are supposedly doing better this year, but have still posted loses. Their PSVita is not doing do well though. It's not selling much in Japan. The PSP was still outselling it I think. Sony made a new PS3 Slim to try and make more profit on the hardware. I don't know how they can release new hardware next year after releasing the PSVita this year. The only thing keeping them afloat is their movie business and some parts of their electronics.

#6 Posted by MonsieurX (29173 posts) -
If Sony discontinues the PS4,it's a good thing. 1)Buy one at launch 2)Wait few years 3)... 4)Profit!!!
#7 Posted by Rattlesnake_8 (18330 posts) -
Sony makes all sorts of electronic products. They are more than fine financially.
#8 Posted by asl2006 (188 posts) -

If Sony discontinues the PS4,it's a good thing. 1)Buy one at launch 2)Wait few years 3)... 4)Profit!!!MonsieurX

Lol. Hope they drop out of the console race. Perhaps, this would clear the way for the return of Sega.

#9 Posted by 1080pOnly (1986 posts) -

I wouldn't be scared, I'd just wait until there are at LEAST a dozen games I had an interest in playing before buying one. Considering they released about 3 this gen I might be in for a wait.

#10 Posted by NaveedLife (17175 posts) -

While I understand your concern (I had the same onefor the PS3, even if unnecessary), you need to remember that if everyone thinks lke you the PS4 will obviously be discontinued. But if you really want it to succeed and love their games, buy it. If everyone does that, it will obviously bring sony back from the depths and give you more great games. I strongly suggest backing the PS4 if it looks good. I will be doing the same, provided I am impressed.

#12 Posted by Ly_the_Fairy (8652 posts) -

I thought their games division is making them money, correct me if I am wrong but that is what the Cows sing around here. So why would they discontinue PlayStation?SaltyMeatballs

Cows sing the tune simply because it costs less to manufactor a PS3 than it takes to sell it.

They never factor in anything else like game development, PSN, or the PS Vita. There's a reason Sony has been combining the Playstation family of hardware and software sales in order to provide numbers that actually look decent to stockholders.

#13 Posted by DISSESHOWEDO (1775 posts) -

If Sony joined with Apple then their tablet store would be the best.Tony-Baxter

This is wrong on so many levels !

#14 Posted by StrongDeadlift (5138 posts) -

untitled-1.jpg

Ironic part is......Sony most likely WILL do something stupid like this :lol:

#15 Posted by PressXtoJump (1493 posts) -
its very natural to feel overwhelmed by a system that dominates you, maybe start out with a PS3, and then move up to the big leagues.
#16 Posted by SectorSix6 (204 posts) -
With the financial trouble they are in i dont see how they can release the PS4 anytime soon.
#17 Posted by KarateeeChop (4590 posts) -

it would be pretty irresponsible for sony to release a ps4 and discontinue it after a year. but knowing sony, that's probably what they'll do.

#18 Posted by psymon100 (6138 posts) -

What is the PS4's launch price?

What is the PS4's launch date?

What is the PS4's launch line up?

Oh right. There are no answers to any of these. There you go, that should ease your fears.

Not to mention that nobody's going to force you at gun point to buy this thing. You can simply choose not to.

#19 Posted by GamerwillzPS (8530 posts) -

Just wait until further in the console lifecycle. That's what I'm going to do.

#20 Posted by PressXtoJump (1493 posts) -
With the financial trouble they are in i dont see how they can release the PS4 anytime soon.SectorSix6
somebody opened sonic and friends early!!! oh wait, its jus their legs spread standing fck itsa him, wario!!! fck
#21 Posted by PressXtoJump (1493 posts) -
[QUOTE="SectorSix6"]With the financial trouble they are in i dont see how they can release the PS4 anytime soon.PressXtoJump
somebody opened sonic and friends early!!! oh wait, its jus their legs spread standing fck itsa him, wario!!! fck

was replying to your sigk srry, your pst was sht anyways now double checkkkin
#22 Posted by PressXtoJump (1493 posts) -
its very natural to feel overwhelmed by a system that dominates you, maybe start out with a PS3, and then move up to the big leagues.PressXtoJump
fantasy post :(. fck it maybe the slim will do :lol:
#23 Posted by Gue1 (9370 posts) -

I wonder if there ever be a day when I enter a thread about something related to Sony and the first 3-5 posts aren't from a bunch of tools calling out the cows. I mean, half the threads on this board are hating on Sony and most of the post are just people complaining about the cows in some way. What is the obsession?!

I don't even feel safe anymore. I feel like some lunatic cow hater will acquire my address and other info and then he will come to kill me for being a cow. :o

#24 Posted by MonsieurX (29173 posts) -

ITT: Expert analysts discuss about how good is the financial status of a company

#25 Posted by crimsonman1245 (4253 posts) -

Did Sony use monopoly money to buy Gaikai?

#26 Posted by moistsandwich (0 posts) -

I'm gonna play the "wait and see" game for the next XBOX & PS.

I'm tired of MS's casual focus of late, and little to no money being put into original exclusives (new IPs)

and Sony well... like others have said... I don't want to jump on a sinking ship.

#27 Posted by mariokart64fan (19348 posts) -

lol i think their both in trouble letting nintendo out the door early, and rumor has it that their both waiting til 2014 , -2015 , this is 3 years after wii u penetrates the market just think if one ends up delayed til 2015 their definatelly introuble because 2 yrs behind them is nintendos next console haha

#28 Posted by ShadowMoses900 (17081 posts) -

Sony isn't going anywhere and you will see a PS4, though I doubt you had any interest in the PlayStation brand to begin with.

#29 Posted by accesdenied (465 posts) -

well for sega, they only did games and game hardware. sony has their hands and things you might not even be aware of. Ghostbuster is a franchise who has a following but in todays market it will be risky regardless to bring this out not everything old school is succesful. And before shutting or pulling a plug on the ps4 they will restructure the company cutting down on more expensive tech that is not doing well, like expensive ass bravia tv's; when companies like LG, sharp, samsung, and vizio are out classing them and way cheaper. The whole "it's a sony" motto is dead.

#30 Posted by KarateeeChop (4590 posts) -

Sony isn't going anywhere and you will see a PS4, though I doubt you had any interest in the PlayStation brand to begin with.

ShadowMoses900

i hope that is the case, but after all their endless financial troubles how can you be so sure? :o

also, what makes you doubt the TC? :o

#31 Posted by OldSnakePS3 (310 posts) -
youre more than welcome to get the kinectbox 2.0 then
#32 Posted by Sali217 (1274 posts) -

well for sega, they only did games and game hardware. sony has their hands and things you might not even be aware of. Ghostbuster is a franchise who has a following but in todays market it will be risky regardless to bring this out not everything old school is succesful. And before shutting or pulling a plug on the ps4 they will restructure the company cutting down on more expensive tech that is not doing well, like expensive ass bravia tv's; when companies like LG, sharp, samsung, and vizio are out classing them and way cheaper. The whole "it's a sony" motto is dead.

accesdenied
Out classing them? Vizio's and LGs suck compared to the sony's O_o, The sharps are good but just as expensive, samsungs and toshibas are really the only ones edging them out in the tv market.
#33 Posted by DarkLink77 (31686 posts) -

[QUOTE="MonsieurX"]If Sony discontinues the PS4,it's a good thing. 1)Buy one at launch 2)Wait few years 3)... 4)Profit!!!asl2006

Lol. Hope they drop out of the console race. Perhaps, this would clear the way for the return of Sega.

SEGA doesn't have the money to build consoles anymore.
#34 Posted by DarkLink77 (31686 posts) -

ITT: Expert analysts discuss about how good is the financial status of a company

MonsieurX

When you post billion dollar loses year in and year out, lay off 10,000 people, and your stock is degraded to junk status, it doesn't take a genius to figure out that you're not doing well financially.

#35 Posted by RogueStatus28 (510 posts) -

Out of the 3, sony is the most likely to go out first... Microsoft is Microsoft, they could buy Sony and Nintendo if they wanted to, so they're not going anywhere... Nintendo will continue to sell millions of consoles and first party so they're not going anywhere as well.

#36 Posted by sukraj (21797 posts) -

Sony is in worse financial shape today than Sega was in during the days of the Dreamcast. Vita is NOT helping with its poor sales and Sony even delayed filming of Ghostbusters 3 due to their money troubles. Iam worried that buying a "PS4" would simply be a waste of money cause theyll just discontinue it like 2 years later. If Sony was smart they'd join forces with Apple or something in making the "PS4" All 3 consoles are allegedly going to have tablet controllers anyway. If Sony joined with Apple then their tablet store would be the best.Tony-Baxter

get a xbox 720

#37 Posted by Meeeper282 (1602 posts) -

[QUOTE="SaltyMeatballs"]I thought their games division is making them money, correct me if I am wrong but that is what the Cows sing around here. So why would they discontinue PlayStation?blackace

They have been losing money in their gaming division for the past 2 years. They had back to back billion $ loses in 2010 and 2011. They are supposedly doing better this year, but have still posted loses. Their PSVita is not doing do well though. It's not selling much in Japan. The PSP was still outselling it I think. Sony made a new PS3 Slim to try and make more profit on the hardware. I don't know how they can release new hardware next year after releasing the PSVita this year. The only thing keeping them afloat is their movie business and some parts of their electronics.

No they haven't the PS3 profited nearly 500m in 2010 you halfwit, you should research next time.

#38 Posted by Meeeper282 (1602 posts) -

Sony is in worse financial shape today than Sega was in during the days of the Dreamcast. Vita is NOT helping with its poor sales and Sony even delayed filming of Ghostbusters 3 due to their money troubles. Iam worried that buying a "PS4" would simply be a waste of money cause theyll just discontinue it like 2 years later. If Sony was smart they'd join forces with Apple or something in making the "PS4" All 3 consoles are allegedly going to have tablet controllers anyway. If Sony joined with Apple then their tablet store would be the best.Tony-Baxter

you are just as stupid as that halfwit over there

Sega is 1/1000th of what sony is today, sega only made games and hardware so they make less revenue and sony delaying ghost busters 3 to money troubles? link me to that

Because they spent 250m to make skyfall and that film nearly grossed 1billion

Cant believe how stupid people are on this board.

#39 Posted by Meeeper282 (1602 posts) -

[QUOTE="Tony-Baxter"]Sony is in worse financial shape today than Sega was in during the days of the Dreamcast. Vita is NOT helping with its poor sales and Sony even delayed filming of Ghostbusters 3 due to their money troubles. Iam worried that buying a "PS4" would simply be a waste of money cause theyll just discontinue it like 2 years later. If Sony was smart they'd join forces with Apple or something in making the "PS4" All 3 consoles are allegedly going to have tablet controllers anyway. If Sony joined with Apple then their tablet store would be the best.sukraj

get a xbox 720

That's just as worse as getting a ps4, if not worse

#40 Posted by RogueStatus28 (510 posts) -

Xbox Next will be 2 to 3 times more powerful than the Omni, 4 to 6 than the Wii U.

#41 Posted by Liquid_ (2324 posts) -

Maybe xbox will finally have the technology to power a blu ray disc

#42 Posted by nameless12345 (15125 posts) -

Well, every investment involves a risk.

You can buy the latest console only to find it later dead in a year or two or you can buy the latest graphics card to find it not supporting a game in a year or two.

However, dropping support is the last thing a company wants to do and usually support the system even if it's at odds'-end. (see PS Vita, as an example)

Sega knew that them discontinuing support for the Dreamcast also ment that they will never return to the hardware biz again.

Ever.

Only deluded Sega fanboys believed (and some still do, as funny as it sounds) that Sega will somehow return to the console front.

#43 Posted by Puckhog04 (22601 posts) -

No...

#44 Posted by jimmypsn (4425 posts) -

Did Sony use monopoly money to buy Gaikai?

crimsonman1245
They sold future bonds of their company to pay for it. It's like paying someone an IOU in hopes they have confidence to pay you back.
#45 Posted by Nonstop-Madness (9466 posts) -
PlayStation is Sony's major player in network services, I very much doubt PlayStation will suffer any huge changes.
#46 Posted by Sali217 (1274 posts) -
Microsoft is Microsoft, they could buy Sony and Nintendo if they wanted toRogueStatus28
Not they couldn't, for a myriad of reasons. One of the biggest being that the Japanese government wouldn't allow it. Sony may see a government bailout at some point, similar to american automotive manufactures.
#47 Posted by jimmypsn (4425 posts) -

I understand your fustrations OP. You have every right to feel scared of purchasing the PS4. It's possible Sony won't even exist as they are today in 2013 with all the financial problems that they have. And with their mindless fans happy with Sony losing billions as long as they have free online speaks volumes about the situation sony has placed itself in.

#48 Posted by jimmypsn (4425 posts) -
[QUOTE="RogueStatus28"]Microsoft is Microsoft, they could buy Sony and Nintendo if they wanted toSali217
Not they couldn't, for a myriad of reasons. One of the biggest being that the Japanese government wouldn't allow it. Sony may see a government bailout at some point, similar to american automotive manufactures.

No MS could buy Sony and Nintendo but would get slapped with monopolistic fines. Every lemming knows MS could end Sony and Nintendo with one signature on a sheet of paper.
#49 Posted by 1080pOnly (1986 posts) -

Cant believe how stupid people are on this board.

Meeeper282

I was thinking exactly the same thing when I read your posts.

#50 Posted by Heil68 (43186 posts) -
Not me. Day fuking 1, no matter the price or what gamer are or are not available.