Tomb Raider sold 6 million units

• 81 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by IgGy621985 (4745 posts) -

So I guess it could be considered a success?

I still didn't like the game though :-(

"By the end of this month we will surpass 6 million units for our Tomb Raider reboot, and, having achieved profitability back in 2013, Tomb Raider has exceeded profit expectations and continues to make significant contributions to our overall financial performance," Gallagher said.

3.4 million of Tomb Raider's 6 million sales came during its record-setting launch month alone. The bulk of a game's sales typically come in the first month, but strong sales in the months following seems to prove the franchise has legs. Some steep discounts and a re-release for Xbox One and PlayStation 4 couldn't have hurt, either.

"We can't wait to continue our adventures with Lara in the sequel that is in development at Crystal Dynamics," Gallagher said. "We are also looking forward to building on the success and lessons learned from the reboot to continue redefining and setting new benchmarks for Tomb Raider in the years to come."

Moar.

#2 Posted by freedomfreak (39966 posts) -

Very good.

Could do with some proper SP DLC next time. IF you're gonna do any DLC at all. Screw the map packs for that pretty damn, darn tootin', more-than-terrible multiplayer component.

#3 Posted by GarGx1 (2602 posts) -

Very good.

Could do with some proper SP DLC next time. IF you're gonna do any DLC at all. Screw the map packs for that pretty damn, darn tootin', more-than-terrible multiplayer component.

Didn't even realise it had a multiplayer component!

I enjoyed the game, next time though I'll wait for a Steam sale before I get the sequel.

#4 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (3534 posts) -

One of the best games of all time, right up there with Resident Evil 4.

#5 Edited by cainetao11 (17282 posts) -

I played it last year on my PS3, but bought it for my X1. It looks nice and I enjoyed the game thoroughly.

#6 Posted by ni6htmare01 (929 posts) -

good! Now go make a part 2!

#7 Edited by lostrib (35698 posts) -

I take it this is both versions

I wonder if Square Enix still considers it a failure

#8 Edited by mems_1224 (46941 posts) -

No, its a complete and utter failure....well, at least thats what SE things.

#9 Posted by DocSanchez (1587 posts) -

It was a simply brilliant game.

#10 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16427 posts) -

Best selling Tomb Raider ever ?

#11 Posted by Krelian-co (10649 posts) -

i loved the game, can't wait for the next one

#12 Posted by DocSanchez (1587 posts) -

The thing is it was for me what Uncharted could have been. Nathan Drake is really just a vanilla Indiana Jones rip off. Sure, the games are playable and look great but there's no emotional attachment to the characters. Tomb Raider had Lara Croft in comparison. There IS no comparison.

#13 Posted by Cyberdot (3523 posts) -

A QTE-fest sold 6 million?

Shameful. No wonder games are like this these days.

#14 Posted by glez13 (8760 posts) -

@lostrib said:

Considering that just late last year they announced that they finally managed to make profit and I think the news was around 5 million(would need to look it up), and that they had to spend a little cash to make a re-release that sold presumably around a million, I would say it's a very mild success so far or a very slight failure, whichever side you want to see it. Hard to say actually, would need to know if the amount copies sold of the re-release already makes it profitable. Also remember that Tomb Raider was expected to sell around 5-6M in the first week basically meaning full price, and then everything that comes later would be more success.

#15 Posted by treedoor (7648 posts) -

Didn't buy it.

Never will

#16 Posted by Heil68 (43921 posts) -

Just scrap the MP next time and expand the skill set.

#17 Edited by lamprey263 (23490 posts) -

it was a great game, way more enjoyable than any of the Uncharted games

#18 Edited by Bread_or_Decide (17453 posts) -

One of my favorite games of 2013. Deserves all the sales it gets. Such a great game, way better than Uncharted 3.

#19 Posted by finalfantasy94 (26427 posts) -

Please dont bother with MP for the next part. It was a waste of time.

#20 Edited by Jag85 (4455 posts) -

@lostrib said:

Seems like it made them a pretty sizeable profit by now, probably thanks to the re-release. 6 million sales at $60 each amounts to some $360 million in revenues. Even if only half of those revenues go to Square Enix,, that's still considerably more than what they would have spent on the development & marketing budget (pretty sure it's no more than $100 million).

#21 Edited by Sushiglutton (5260 posts) -

Well deseved, it was a quality title!

@Jag85: I can guarantee that the average price on those 6 million consoles wasn't anywhere near $60. The game was like $15 on steam just a couple of months after release (I know because that's when I bough it :) ).

#22 Edited by lundy86_4 (43194 posts) -

I really enjoyed it, so good for them.

#23 Edited by lostrib (35698 posts) -

@Jag85 said:

@lostrib said:

Seems like it made them a pretty sizeable profit by now, probably thanks to the re-release. 6 million sales at $60 each amounts to some $360 million in revenues. Even if only half of those revenues go to Square Enix,, that's still considerably more than what they would have spent on the development & marketing budget (pretty sure it's no more than $100 million).

Well they considered it a failure when it sold 3+ million in its first month, and I think their projected/expected sales were something ridiculous like 14 6 million. So i think they finally hit predicted

Edited: it was 14 million for total retail game sales in 6 months

#24 Posted by stationplay_4 (443 posts) -

One of my favorite games of 2013. Deserves all the sales it gets. Such a great game, way better than Uncharted 3.

lol wat

#25 Posted by AdobeArtist (22845 posts) -

Very good.

Agreed. I was perturbed at how the extras was all funneled into the MP when there was so much possibility or extended story content. There was 1 tomb DLC and the game could have used more of that over map packs.

The thing is it was for me what Uncharted could have been. Nathan Drake is really just a vanilla Indiana Jones rip off. Sure, the games are playable and look great but there's no emotional attachment to the characters. Tomb Raider had Lara Croft in comparison. There IS no comparison.

+5

#26 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (7400 posts) -

Such an amazing game.

#27 Posted by Mr-Kutaragi (1937 posts) -

Even though does not compare to uncharted franchise I still like the game. MP I did not like however. Very poor map design.

#28 Edited by Demonjoe93 (9552 posts) -

I rented once and didn't like it. I think it was the health regeneration thing that turned me off. The game was survival-themed, yet had regenerative health.

#29 Edited by Master_ShakeXXX (13361 posts) -

Cool beans. It's a damn fine action game.

#30 Posted by Master_ShakeXXX (13361 posts) -

@Mr-Kutaragi said:

Even though does not compare to uncharted franchise I still like the game. MP I did not like however. Very poor map design.

You're right, it doesn't compare to Uncharted. It's better in every fucking conceivable way imaginable.

#31 Edited by nyzma23 (924 posts) -

and now that square enix get the sales that they want now go make the sequels

#32 Posted by JangoWuzHere (16254 posts) -

There is no emotional attachment to anything in Tomb Raider. That game is just a bunch of dumb set peices poorly paced together with generic third person shooting. How anyone could find the characters or story in that game likeable is beyond me. All of the characters are one-dimensional stereotypes with no depth to them. Lara really has nothing interesting to say, most of voicework is whining and screaming, shes actually one of the most annoying characters of 2013.

#33 Edited by finalfantasy94 (26427 posts) -

Only character worth a dam was lara. Everyone els was pretty uninteresting. The uncharted cast easily shadows the TR cast.

#34 Posted by Opus_Rea-333 (976 posts) -

Well thats pretty good news for the industry.

#35 Posted by Jag85 (4455 posts) -

Well deseved, it was a quality title!

@Jag85: I can guarantee that the average price on those 6 million consoles wasn't anywhere near $60. The game was like $15 on steam just a couple of months after release (I know because that's when I bough it :) ).

Yes, but that's for the Steam version. Even if we take discounts into account, we'd still be looking at revenues in the region of $200-300 million.

@lostrib said:

Well they considered it a failure when it sold 3+ million in its first month, and I think their projected/expected sales were something ridiculous like 14 6 million. So i think they finally hit predicted

Edited: it was 14 million for total retail game sales in 6 months

What on Earth made Square Enix think Tomb Raider would sell COD-like numbers?

#36 Posted by StrongBlackVine (8418 posts) -

Great game. I bought it twice.

#37 Posted by DocSanchez (1587 posts) -

@finalfantasy94: Name any of them? Because I can't.

You're not following any of the other characters. They're pit stops on Lara's journey.

#38 Posted by Ballroompirate (22742 posts) -

Fyi Tomb Raider/Lara Croft is just a female version of Indiana Jones

Also guess who Indiana Jones is based off, a few people actually and one of them is Roy Chapman Andrews

#39 Posted by DocSanchez (1587 posts) -

@Ballroompirate: I don't need a history lesson from you. I've read books on real explorers. I know plenty about films.

I know that Lara Croft is inevitably inspired by the likes of Indiana Jones. But the developers in recent additions didn't use tracing paper. The latest game she actually shows that she is affected by the events around her. She grows as a person.

Don't take me wrong people, I love Uncharted games. But in terms of characters, I much prefer Lara Croft. Particularly in the latest one.

#40 Edited by Mystery_Writer (7924 posts) -

I got it on Steam last year, but haven't tried it yet

#41 Posted by getyeryayasout (7351 posts) -

I picked it up for PS4, looks good, plays great. Recommended.

#42 Posted by W1NGMAN- (9959 posts) -

Nearly finished ... I'm kind of indifferent towards the game, it's such a blatant Uncharted knock off BUT it's still really fun for the most part. It's nothing like any Tomb Raider before it, which is good and bad.

#43 Posted by W1NGMAN- (9959 posts) -

@DocSanchez said:

Only character worth a dam was lara. Everyone els was pretty uninteresting. The uncharted cast easily shadows the TR cast.

Honestly I don't find Lara all that interesting ... You go from this fragile thing to ultimate killer in two seconds, grossed out by having to kill a deer and skin it (which serves no purpose in this game) to becoming an expert hunter. I've seen no "growth" in this character what so ever, and the supporting cast and their interactions with one another are laughable! Maybe The Last of Us has truly spoiled me when it comes to character interaction and story telling.

It's been a pretty shitty story up to this point, I'm just sticking around because it's fun to play.

#44 Posted by DocSanchez (1587 posts) -

@W1NGMAN-: That's just untrue. Even taking into account the exaggeration that's untrue. Its repeated time and again she comes from a family of adventurers. She survives because she has to, and because she is forced to and ultimately capable. It's not that she is fragile. She is until forced to face it uninterested in conflict or hardship.

The whole game is about her discovering what she is capable of and finding inner belief.

#45 Posted by Animal-Mother (26728 posts) -

It deserves it. I really liked the game and I thought Crystal Dynamics did a bang up job.

#46 Posted by jcrame10 (207 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k: noo, Tomb Raider II sold 8 million copies on the PS1 alone

#47 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (11445 posts) -

@ jcrame10

Not a fair comparison considering it had a headstart, How many copies did it sell in a year ?

#48 Posted by Telekill (4502 posts) -

I bought Tomb Raider twice. Once on PS3 and the newer PS4 version. I bought the PS3 version used though, so does that mean I only count as one?

#49 Posted by handssss (1834 posts) -

oh please. emotional attachment... all this game truly had was gratuitous amounts of violence inflected on lara JUST for shock value if anything at all. "YOU'LL WANT TO PROTECT HER". That's no substitute for true attachment. Everyone else except her mentor was either an unlikable douche, annoying bitch, or bland as they come and never really showed up enough times to make an impression.

Yeah, perhaps it was more than Uncharted in that department, but Uncharted never tried to be edgy like that. This game was fun, but in rebooting it, they obviously hoped to ride on the coattails of Drake.

#50 Posted by HadOne2Many (1278 posts) -

I am playing through it for the first time on the xbox one and it is surprisingly good so far. Her first kill was pretty visceral.