Tomb Raider is not TIMED EXCLUSIVE

• 66 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by FreedomFreeLife (2684 posts) -

https://twitter.com/DomCarey/status/499174273152712705

gamesTM Magazine: Timed exclusive, that is. Still, interesting desision by Square Enix

Microsoft: nope, just exclusive

#2 Edited by Pray_to_me (2966 posts) -

#3 Posted by Cranler (8809 posts) -

Dead Rising 3 "definitely isn't a timed exclusive" for Xbox One, says Capcom

http://www.totalxbox.com/60879/dead-rising-3-definitely-isnt-a-timed-exclusive-for-xbox-one-says-capcom/

#4 Edited by RogueStatus28 (514 posts) -

@Pray_to_me said:

You and all the people directing death-threats towards Crystal Dynamics do though! :-D

#5 Posted by darkspineslayer (20153 posts) -

We have never heard that about an Xbox game before. More deeply rooted titles than Tomb Raider have gone around.

#6 Posted by Pray_to_me (2966 posts) -

@RogueStatus28 said:

@Pray_to_me said:

You and all the people directing death-threats towards Crystal Dynamics do though! :-D

The only death threat going around is Xbone sales figures LOL!

#7 Posted by silversix_ (15333 posts) -

Do you remember this? yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa... Its MS, lets get real here. Exclusivity is not something very known to them.

#8 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (15332 posts) -

Good for Microsoft.... Bad for everybody else.

#9 Posted by santoron (7857 posts) -

You've been around on one alt or another long enough to have seen this song and dance before.

Phil Spencer:

"We're saying what we said on stage," said Spencer. "In Holiday 2015, Rise of the Tomb Raider will be exclusive to Xbox. That's the comment.

"We had a lot of similar questions around Titanfall and the structure of our deal is a business relationship that's frankly between us and Square Enix. I know Crystal Dynamics has issued a statement and we're going to stand by that. Xbox fans are going to be able to play Tomb Raider next holiday exclusive on Xbox."

You don't dance around the question like that if you have something better to offer. MS purchased the holiday 2015 launch window for 360 and XB1. Anything more and he'd have sung it.

#10 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (15332 posts) -

@santoron

Yep... It has happened before, all it takes is for Square Enix to say: "No Comment" or simply repeat what Phill Spencer said word for word. Still, I don't trust Microsoft, not one bit.

#11 Edited by EducatingU_PCMR (889 posts) -

http://videocardz.com/51018/exclusive-upcoming-games-support-mantle

A list suggesting ROTTR will use Mantle API, so there might be hope and as part of M$'s agreement, CD/SE just needs to continue being ambiguous on what exclusive really means, to later released the Definitive Edition to their "beloved PS/PC customers"

#12 Posted by finalfantasy94 (26767 posts) -

If you been around long enough you know this bs song and dance. It will come to other system with some extra title added to it.

#13 Posted by lglz1337 (3981 posts) -
@santoron said:

You've been around on one alt or another long enough to have seen this song and dance before.

Phil Spencer:

"We're saying what we said on stage," said Spencer. "In Holiday 2015, Rise of the Tomb Raider will be exclusive to Xbox. That's the comment.

"We had a lot of similar questions around Titanfall and the structure of our deal is a business relationship that's frankly between us and Square Enix. I know Crystal Dynamics has issued a statement and we're going to stand by that. Xbox fans are going to be able to play Tomb Raider next holiday exclusive on Xbox."

You don't dance around the question like that if you have something better to offer. MS purchased the holiday 2015 launch window for 360 and XB1. Anything more and he'd have sung it.

true

#14 Posted by santoron (7857 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@santoron

Yep... It has happened before, all it takes is for Square Enix to say: "No Comment" or simply repeat what Phill Spencer said word for word. Still, I don't trust Microsoft, not one bit.

Nothing really to doubt or trust anymore. MS has actually done a pretty good job teaching us and game "journalists" a thing or two about PR doublespeak regarding these kinds of deals. What CD or SE says is almost irrelevant. They are limited by what their contract with MS allows them to say, and they aren't going to take this kind of publicity hit AND screw themselves out of a payday.

Remember when MS snagged the two DLCs that made up GTA IV's EFLC? People were shocked, outraged, blown away! And no one had any clear idea if they were actually exclusive or not until Rockstar announced their multiplat release. It was much the same with Fallout 3's DLC, months went by before anyone could tell for sure if MS really had an exclusive or not. By :New Vegas we'd all seen this before and journos pinned them down with pointed questions in short order, perhaps a week or ten days to get what we needed to know.

It took less than an hour today. As soon as TR was announced, the news media was ready and waiting for a crack at Spencer and made sure to leave him no wiggle room. When Spencer kept repeating that TR was "Exclusive to XBox for Holiday 2015" it was because it was the best thing he could spin without outright lying. That's the statement he paid to be able to say. If he had paid for more, you better bet he wouldn't be sweating it out minutes after his big reveal. No full exclusivity. No "Console exclusivity". It's what he said, and nothing more.

TR will be released during the Holiday 2015 window for 360 and XB1. It will release on PC, PS3, and PS4 early 2016. Bank on it.

#15 Posted by Nightflash28 (2131 posts) -

@santoron said:

Phil Spencer:

Exactly what this guy said. They are pretty much inviting you to read between the lines and figure out that it's only a timed exclusive. And we've come to know this expression: "at (insert timeframe), our game will launch exclusively on (insert platform)". They'd otherwise just say it's a platform exclusive, period.

#16 Posted by CyberLips (1824 posts) -

We already figured that out.

#17 Posted by Shielder7 (5155 posts) -

The problem is MS constantly lies about exclusives and losses what exclusives it has. It's lied about Evolve and who could forget that banner showing more multiplats than exclusives yet they said they were all exclusive.

I'll be far more surprised if TR doesn't find it self on PC or PS4 eventually.

#18 Posted by jhcho2 (4499 posts) -

This exclusivity will merely fuel people's hatred towards Crystal Dynamics rather than motivate people to buy an X1

#19 Posted by faizan_faizan (7867 posts) -

I'm sure it'll come to PC.

#20 Posted by Cloud_imperium (4806 posts) -

Yeah , like they are going to say "it's timed exclusive . No reason to buy Xbox" . It is as exclusive as DR3 and Ryse were . At least it'll appear on PC .

#21 Posted by Promised_Trini (3628 posts) -

Another one of these threads!. For the Love of Fuck...Another one really! .

#22 Edited by nintendoboy16 (27499 posts) -

@jhcho2 said:

This exclusivity will merely fuel people's hatred towards Crystal Dynamics rather than motivate people to buy an X1

Like hatred for Nintendo, Platinum, and SEGA for Bayonetta 2's exclusivity (which had them save a game from going into the void, but exclusivity regardless) and refusals to buy a Wii U?

#23 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (15332 posts) -

@santoron

I think the only definitive way to guarantee an exclusive is if Microsoft just buys the IP, and even that can be tenuous sometimes.

Now more than ever, it important to be patient. Well Except I'm not really being patient if Microsoft is dead to me.

#24 Posted by wis3boi (31720 posts) -

they said the same about ryse and DR3

#25 Posted by jhcho2 (4499 posts) -

@nintendoboy16 said:

@jhcho2 said:

Like hatred for Nintendo, Platinum, and SEGA for Bayonetta 2's exclusivity (which had them save a game from going into the void, but exclusivity regardless) and refusals to buy a Wii U?

Pretty much. I'm fairly certain that half of the people complaining about Bayonetta's exclusivity don't even plan on ever getting a Wii U. It's one of those games that you'd play if you could, but won't go out of your way to do so.

#26 Posted by GrenadeLauncher (5908 posts) -

lol yes it is. It's a Microsoft exclusive.

What's more shocking is the fact they think Tomb Raider is relevant.

#27 Edited by HalcyonScarlet (4794 posts) -
@GrenadeLauncher said:

lol yes it is. It's a Microsoft exclusive.

What's more shocking is the fact they think Tomb Raider is relevant.

You mean now it's exclusive it isn't? Downside to everything I guess.

#28 Edited by freedomfreak (41964 posts) -

Yes, it is.

If they actually had exclusive rights to this Tomb Raider game, they would be flaunting it like a motherfucker.

#29 Edited by parkurtommo (27520 posts) -

Hopefully it's like Dead Rising 3. If not, fuck them.

#30 Posted by parkurtommo (27520 posts) -

@nintendoboy16 said:

@jhcho2 said:

You answered your own question. No, not like that, because in that case, the game would not have been developed otherwise. No one gives two shits.

#31 Edited by GamersJustGame (322 posts) -

@FreedomFreeLife:

I love gaming. I love the PC,PS4 and Xbox One equally.

But MS and SE fucked over gamers who love the Tomb Raider franchise. I loved the reboot. Thought it was incredible and amazingly fun with awesome graphics.

SE releases a definitive edition on both next gen consoles. A year later, SE basically tells PS4 owners "Did you love Tomb Raider:DE? You did? Awesome! But if you want to play the sequel. You have to buy a $400 Xbox One!"

It's bullshit. Don't get me wrong, X1 is a great console. But for MS and SE to slap PS4 owners in the face who wanted to play Rise of Tomb Raider. It just not good. Some gamers can't afford both consoles. So this is not fair to those that bought a PS4 who love TR.

#32 Edited by nervmeister (15314 posts) -

@FreedomFreeLife:

No news about MS purchasing rights to the IP or joint development. So chances are it's timed. Deal with it.

#33 Posted by nintendoboy16 (27499 posts) -

@parkurtommo said:

You answered your own question. No, not like that, because in that case, the game would not have been developed otherwise. No one gives two shits.

But here's the freaking thing. While Nintendo did save the game, the IP is still owned by SEGA, hence why they are serving as the game's advisor. Add the fact that the first game, like Tomb Raider Reboot was a multiplatform game.

#34 Posted by scottpsfan14 (6175 posts) -
@freedomfreak said:

Yes, it is.

If they actually had exclusive rights to this Tomb Raider game, they would be flaunting it like a motherfucker.

See I'm having a hard time believing you are a long time die hard Tomb Raider fan. If you were, then you would object to even the last game as it is almost unlike a Tomb Raider game. I get that you have said you still favor TRL, but as a TR fan, did you welcome the change they have made to the series? The dark nature, the less 'female Indiana Jones' vibe? The Uncharted like cinematics?

#35 Posted by freedomfreak (41964 posts) -
@scottpsfan14 said:

See I'm having a hard time believing you are a long time die hard Tomb Raider fan. If you were, then you would object to even the last game as it is almost unlike a Tomb Raider game.

That's asinine reasoning. Not everyone's a cynical fanboy twat that can't accept changes being introduced to their favorite franchise.

I'm glad they went that way, and I hope they expand upon it with future installments.

#36 Posted by scottpsfan14 (6175 posts) -
@freedomfreak said:

@scottpsfan14 said:

See I'm having a hard time believing you are a long time die hard Tomb Raider fan. If you were, then you would object to even the last game as it is almost unlike a Tomb Raider game.

That's asinine reasoning. Not everyone's a cynical fanboy twat that can't accept changes being introduced to their favorite franchise.

I'm glad they went that way, and I hope they expand upon it with future installments.

I'm not a cynical fanboy twat tho.

#37 Posted by freedomfreak (41964 posts) -
@scottpsfan14 said:

I'm not a cynical fanboy twat tho.

I didn't say you were.

#38 Posted by parkurtommo (27520 posts) -

@nintendoboy16 said:

@parkurtommo said:

But here's the freaking thing. While Nintendo did save the game, the IP is still owned by SEGA, hence why they are serving as the game's advisor. Add the fact that the first game, like Tomb Raider Reboot was a multiplatform game.

It's a bad comparison, man. Rise of the Tomb Raider was already confirmed as a sequel far before it was announced as exclusive. It has been in development, presumably since the release of the first reboot.

It didn't NEED to be exclusive, SE just accepted some huge amount of money. And I really really doubt that it was more money than the money they would be getting from a multiplat release. Hence why this CANNOT be 100% exclusive. There is not enough profit.

#39 Posted by Gamerno6666 (2320 posts) -

@wis3boi said:

they said the same about ryse and DR3

#40 Posted by SolidTy (45198 posts) -

@santoron said:

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@santoron

Nothing really to doubt or trust anymore. MS has actually done a pretty good job teaching us and game "journalists" a thing or two about PR doublespeak regarding these kinds of deals. What CD or SE says is almost irrelevant. They are limited by what their contract with MS allows them to say, and they aren't going to take this kind of publicity hit AND screw themselves out of a payday.

Remember when MS snagged the two DLCs that made up GTA IV's EFLC? People were shocked, outraged, blown away! And no one had any clear idea if they were actually exclusive or not until Rockstar announced their multiplat release. It was much the same with Fallout 3's DLC, months went by before anyone could tell for sure if MS really had an exclusive or not. By :New Vegas we'd all seen this before and journos pinned them down with pointed questions in short order, perhaps a week or ten days to get what we needed to know.

It took less than an hour today. As soon as TR was announced, the news media was ready and waiting for a crack at Spencer and made sure to leave him no wiggle room. When Spencer kept repeating that TR was "Exclusive to XBox for Holiday 2015" it was because it was the best thing he could spin without outright lying. That's the statement he paid to be able to say. If he had paid for more, you better bet he wouldn't be sweating it out minutes after his big reveal. No full exclusivity. No "Console exclusivity". It's what he said, and nothing more.

TR will be released during the Holiday 2015 window for 360 and XB1. It will release on PC, PS3, and PS4 early 2016. Bank on it.

Take this mantle and run with it. I'm so tired of explaining the same thing every few years. :)

#41 Posted by DEadliNE-Zero0 (3976 posts) -

It'll be xb1/360 exclusive at first

Will come to PC 6-12 months altter

May come to the PS4/3, but if so, it'll be many months latter. Most likely, if RoTB does help the xbone, and the sales satisfy CD, even if it includes PC, i can see MS paying to keep out of the playstation either forever, or, atleast until the next TB is announced to leave people behind.

Anyway, this is what gamers wanted. Exclusives to brag about on the internet. A reason to buy the consoles. Well, M$'s definitely trying to do that. What? You think they're going to waste millions to assemble a studios, team, salaries and more to build a game from stracth? Even Sony said tehy're going to slow down on AAA exclusives.

#42 Posted by handssss (1837 posts) -

Because if there's anything MS has shown us these past 2 years, it's that they aren't completely full of shit. ESPECIALLY their PR people.

#43 Posted by Effec_Tor (383 posts) -

Upcoming games to support Mantle

Games in beta program may or may not support Mantle, but these games will be Gaming Evolved titles for sure. The third group includes GTA5, Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris, COD:AW and Sleeping Dogs: Triad Wars. Mantle support for GTA5 could be a game-changer for AMD.

http://videocardz.com/51018/exclusive-upcoming-games-support-mantle

#45 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (8392 posts) -

All I know is I get to play TR on my Xbox One while Playstation owners get delays, multiplats, indies and mad. Glorious.

#46 Posted by GamersJustGame (322 posts) -

I don't agree with the decision by SE to make it exclusive to Xbox. However, never in my life have I seen such a meltdown of this proportion.

I remember back at E3 when I joined X1 and PS4 owners listed there top 5 games. And fans on both consoles about 80% of the time listed Rise of Tomb Raider as one of there most anticipated titles.

Now 90% of PS4 fans say they don't want the game period or they are going to "boycott" the game entirely. Well , you can't boycott a game you simply can't play. How does a PS4 fanboy boycott a game not available to their console? Do X1 fanboys buy a copy of The Last Of Us? Do PS fanboys traditionally buy halo games to Admire box art?

All I can say is Sony and MS are punk ass bitches. They are both equally guilty of screwing millions of gamers out of content.

And PS4 fans need to get a grip. I know it sucks because Tomb Raider reboot was awesome and I know many including myself were really looking forward to Rise of the Tomb Raider. But currently, it is what it is and I'm sure eventually you will be able to play it on your platform of choice. Maybe 2016 or later, but hopefully eventually it will be available to PS as well right?

But throwing fits like a baby and sending death threats over a game is just stupid.

#47 Posted by Bigboi500 (30428 posts) -

@gamersjustgame: I never wanted it in the first place. I got to try the last Tomb Raider on PS + and only played about an hour of it. Hated the jerking camera movement and it made me sick so I stopped playing it. Now if Dragon Age Inquisition, Destiny, Far Cry 4 or Assassin's Creed Unity were Xbone exclusive, yeah I'd be pissing and moaning too. Don't give a shit about over rated Lara Croft games tho.

I know fanboys do act like idiots, that's just their nature. Nothing new.

#48 Posted by GrenadeLauncher (5908 posts) -

Here comes that big ass asterisk on the end of the word "exclusive."

#49 Posted by speedfog (3329 posts) -

Thank you MS.

#50 Edited by Shewgenja (10029 posts) -

LOL @ "exclusive"(tm)