Tomb Raider Gameplay Footage Lara slaughtering her way through XD

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="Master_ShakeXXX"]

Oh crikey look at tha! It's a shootah!

Master_ShakeXXX

This should be your gimmick.

A lame attempt at an Australian accent? :lol:

Better than trying to sound like you know what you're talking about :cool:

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#102 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
[QUOTE="megaspiderweb09"]

A game with a confused identity. The only thing they can do is strip Lara off her weapons for a large bit of the game and emphasise stealth and avoiding confrontation if they want that transition of Lara to be believable

mems_1224
yea cause games should be about being believable instead of fun. No one cries when Nathan Drake mows down 200 people

the reason no one cries when drake mows down 200 people is because they don't make the plot of the freaking game how out of character mowing down 200 people would be for him.
Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts
[QUOTE="mems_1224"][QUOTE="megaspiderweb09"]

A game with a confused identity. The only thing they can do is strip Lara off her weapons for a large bit of the game and emphasise stealth and avoiding confrontation if they want that transition of Lara to be believable

BrunoBRS
yea cause games should be about being believable instead of fun. No one cries when Nathan Drake mows down 200 people

the reason no one cries when drake mows down 200 people is because they don't make the plot of the freaking game how out of character mowing down 200 people would be for him.

Whats that in english? I suppose it was realistic when Lara had trouble getting up ladders, and shooting loads of pistol rounds into worlves, and oh fighting a t-rex. yea.... because realism is what tomb raider was all about :roll:
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 BrunoBRS
[QUOTE="MBirdy88"][QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="mems_1224"] yea cause games should be about being believable instead of fun. No one cries when Nathan Drake mows down 200 people

Whats that in english? I suppose it was realistic when Lara had trouble getting up ladders, and shooting loads of pistol rounds into worlves, and oh fighting a t-rex. yea.... because realism is what tomb raider was all about :roll:

you can't be that stupid. i'm not talking about the PS1 games. i'm talking about THIS game. the game where they paint the protagonist as this frail, defenseless girl struggling to survive. the game where the protagonist hasn't ever held a gun until a few minutes into the game. a game where the story spends a whole lot of f*cking time making a big deal of how unprepared she is, and how this isn't her forte. a game that completely ignores everything the story estabilishes for the sake of bonus exp for setting people on fire, shotgunning downed men, or firing arrows on their heads.
p3anut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 p3anut
Member since 2005 • 6609 Posts

Talk about Lara being overdramatic and people talk so much trash for Samus on Metroid Other M.

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

Just watched the whole video. It was great, I cant wait to play this. mems_1224

Hell has frozen over...

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

you can't be that stupid. i'm not talking about the PS1 games. i'm talking about THIS game. the game where they paint the protagonist as this frail, defenseless girl struggling to survive. the game where the protagonist hasn't ever held a gun until a few minutes into the game. a game where the story spends a whole lot of f*cking time making a big deal of how unprepared she is, and how this isn't her forte. a game that completely ignores everything the story estabilishes for the sake of bonus exp for setting people on fire, shotgunning downed men, or firing arrows on their heads.BrunoBRS
Key word. 

StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 StrongBlackVine

Pretty damn generic and uninspiring gameplay.  

Hyped died a lot after seeing this gameplay footage.  

Game looks like **** too.  Horrible textures.  

Fizzman

Your opinion is worthless.

StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 StrongBlackVine

Fizzman

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]you can't be that stupid. i'm not talking about the PS1 games. i'm talking about THIS game. the game where they paint the protagonist as this frail, defenseless girl struggling to survive. the game where the protagonist hasn't ever held a gun until a few minutes into the game. a game where the story spends a whole lot of f*cking time making a big deal of how unprepared she is, and how this isn't her forte. a game that completely ignores everything the story estabilishes for the sake of bonus exp for setting people on fire, shotgunning downed men, or firing arrows on their heads.mems_1224

Key word. 

even for cop-out standards that was a week counter argument.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#111 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="Master_ShakeXXX"]

Oh crikey look at tha! It's a shootah!

Master_ShakeXXX

This should be your gimmick.

A lame attempt at an Australian accent? :lol:

Yes. Beats hyping awful games. :P Besides, it made me laugh.
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 StrongBlackVine

a game that completely ignores everything the story estabilishes for the sake of bonus exp for setting people on fire, shotgunning downed men, or firing arrows on their heads.BrunoBRS

I don't see a problem with this...

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 mems_1224
[QUOTE="mems_1224"]

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]you can't be that stupid. i'm not talking about the PS1 games. i'm talking about THIS game. the game where they paint the protagonist as this frail, defenseless girl struggling to survive. the game where the protagonist hasn't ever held a gun until a few minutes into the game. a game where the story spends a whole lot of f*cking time making a big deal of how unprepared she is, and how this isn't her forte. a game that completely ignores everything the story estabilishes for the sake of bonus exp for setting people on fire, shotgunning downed men, or firing arrows on their heads.BrunoBRS

Key word. 

If they made super realistic games they would be boring as hell.
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 StrongBlackVine

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="mems_1224"]Key word. 

mems_1224

If they made super realistic games they would be boring as hell.

I agree.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]a game that completely ignores everything the story estabilishes for the sake of bonus exp for setting people on fire, shotgunning downed men, or firing arrows on their heads.StrongBlackVine

you see, the problem isn't the actions i described. the problem is that it clashes with the game that they want to present. the story says one thing, the gameplay says another. the game keeps contradicting itself. [QUOTE="mems_1224"] If they made super realistic games they would be boring as hell.

far from me to want a realistic game. what i want is consistency. you have half the game saying "this is the tale of a frail, unexperienced girl struggling to survive as she grows into a heroine", and half the game saying "this is a game about being a badass motherf*cker with a shotgun and a bow, blowing up people without second thought". pick one, crystal dynamics, then stick to it.
mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 mems_1224
[QUOTE="StrongBlackVine"]

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]

BrunoBRS
you see, the problem isn't the actions i described. the problem is that it clashes with the game that they want to present. the story says one thing, the gameplay says another. the game keeps contradicting itself. [QUOTE="mems_1224"] If they made super realistic games they would be boring as hell.

far from me to want a realistic game. what i want is consistency. you have half the game saying "this is the tale of a frail, unexperienced girl struggling to survive as she grows into a heroine", and half the game saying "this is a game about being a badass motherf*cker with a shotgun and a bow, blowing up people without second thought". pick one, crystal dynamics, then stick to it.

Im not seeing a problem. That sounds pretty awesome.
Fizzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#117 Fizzman
Member since 2003 • 9895 Posts

[QUOTE="Fizzman"]

StrongBlackVine

Get back to tending my fields you worthless peasant.  You will only speak when spoken to.  

nextgenjoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 nextgenjoke
Member since 2013 • 1676 Posts

I would never have guessed the Uncharted influence on this game.

Blazerdt47

uncharted ripped off tomb raider's platforming/3rd person and tomb raider ripped off winback/killswitch/uncharted/gears of war cover system crap because it's a trend now.

nextgenjoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 nextgenjoke

duke nukem time to kill has a better cover sytem than any third person shooter.

let me know when you can hang off a cliff with one hand  and shoot a pistol in the other hand.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 mems_1224

[QUOTE="mems_1224"] Im not seeing a problem. That sounds pretty awesome. Desmonic

You really don't see the problem in consistency with the game, the story, the devs and the marketing telling you (and everyone else) that Lara is still young, innocent, it's the first time she'll face these problem, first time dealing with killing, etc, etc,... and then the gameplay being similar to UC/Gears in terms of mowing down enemies like it's nothing? Seeing cutscenes where she has emotional/mental problems touching a dead body, after you, in gameplay, killed dozens and dozens of enemies with shotguns and bows to the face, aka in a most violent way?...

It's not about the gameplay being good or not (for all I know it plays great) however there really is a problem with what they want to sell you, what they promote you and what you actually get in the game.

Nope, dont see a problem. What do you want them to do? Have Lara sneak past every enemy for 90% of the game? That sounds boring as hell.
ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

2013 - The year of killing series that we once loved.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 mems_1224

ChubbyGuy40
Nah, pretty sure its the year of the whiny gamer. Like every other year.
Speedzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 Speedzilla
Member since 2012 • 1732 Posts

[QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

mems_1224

Nah.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

ChubbyGuy40
What other series is being killed?
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#126 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

let me know when you can hang off a cliff with one hand  and shoot a pistol in the other hand.nextgenjoke

You never played the Uncharted games?

Zaibach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#127 Zaibach
Member since 2007 • 13466 Posts

[QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

mems_1224

youre high strung and extra defensive today...

Speedzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 Speedzilla

[QUOTE="mems_1224"][QUOTE="Desmonic"]

You really don't see the problem in consistency with the game, the story, the devs and the marketing telling you (and everyone else) that Lara is still young, innocent, it's the first time she'll face these problem, first time dealing with killing, etc, etc,... and then the gameplay being similar to UC/Gears in terms of mowing down enemies like it's nothing? Seeing cutscenes where she has emotional/mental problems touching a dead body, after you, in gameplay, killed dozens and dozens of enemies with shotguns and bows to the face, aka in a most violent way?...

It's not about the gameplay being good or not (for all I know it plays great) however there really is a problem with what they want to sell you, what they promote you and what you actually get in the game.

Stringerboy

Nope, dont see a problem. What do you want them to do? Have Lara sneak past every enemy for 90% of the game? That sounds boring as hell.

Actually that sounds quite interesting.

Indeed. Much more satisfying.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

They could have replaced Lara with Nathan Drake and this would have looked exactly like Uncharted

Desmonic

What I've been saying since E3 2012. They took too much UC/Gears into it, needlessly IMO. At least, there is still exploration and whatnot. 

So taking one 10 minute video featuring an isolated moment in the story accounts for the entire gameplay experience now?
I mean, it's not like other videos have been shown or anything like that. When have we seen gameplay like this in Uncharted? ;)

IGN 1hr feed

IGN The Tombs of Tomb Raider

As for Lara's progression from her first kill, do we really know what time frame this 10 minute video takes place in relation to the first kill? 5 minutes later? 3 hours? Do you see what I'm driving at? From a collection of separate and isolated clips we don't have the progressive sequence of the story from one moment to the next in how events build up and shape Lara.

But don't get me wrong, I'm not saying to expect the most poignant or provacative character development here. You don't really get that from most games compared to other media like film and books, where they have to manage their story pacing along with the gameplay pacing. I mean seriously, just how long do you think they can languish on Lara trauma before things have to move forward for the players gaming experience to advance onward.

But the fact that they're even going into the event having an impact on the main protaginist at all is still more character development than most games get into for the medium. It just seems to me that from individual plot moments that have been shown in disconnected sequence, most people here are far too quick to rush to judgement without stopping to consider the context of sequence of chronological events.

Speedzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 Speedzilla

^ That damage control LOL

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 AdobeArtist  Moderator

^ That damage control LOL

Speedzilla

That denial ;)

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

Man, lot o' hate for the game in this thread.  I thought it looked cool.  Granted, it seems to have borrowed heavily from Uncharted, but I don't know if that's necessarily a bad thing.

KodiakKoolaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 KodiakKoolaid
Member since 2012 • 443 Posts
So there will be some linear sections mixed in with the open-world. What's the big deal? Looks fun to play and that's all that matters to me.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="MBirdy88"][QUOTE="BrunoBRS"] the reason no one cries when drake mows down 200 people is because they don't make the plot of the freaking game how out of character mowing down 200 people would be for him.

you can't be that stupid. i'm not talking about the PS1 games. i'm talking about THIS game. the game where they paint the protagonist as this frail, defenseless girl struggling to survive. the game where the protagonist hasn't ever held a gun until a few minutes into the game. a game where the story spends a whole lot of f*cking time making a big deal of how unprepared she is, and how this isn't her forte. a game that completely ignores everything the story estabilishes for the sake of bonus exp for setting people on fire, shotgunning downed men, or firing arrows on their heads.

Sounds exactly like Far Cry 3 to me, but you don't here people complaining about this boy that was scared sh*tless at the start and turns into a cold blooded murder 2 minutes later... sheesh talk about complaining about a game for trivial reasons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Man, lot o' hate for the game in this thread.  I thought it looked cool.  Granted, it seems to have borrowed heavily from Uncharted, but I don't know if that's necessarily a bad thing.

clone01
ITs not, old tomb raider was crap, this looks much better, people are just idiots.
nextgenjoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 nextgenjoke

it's the samething they did we splinter cell turned it into a gears of war clone lol we havent seen anymore after that.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 mems_1224

[QUOTE="mems_1224"][QUOTE="Desmonic"]

Stringerboy

Actually that sounds quite interesting.

Thats sounds pretty crappy for an action game.
Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#142 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts
[QUOTE="Desmonic"]

[QUOTE="AdobeArtist"]

[QUOTE="Desmonic"]

What I've been saying since E3 2012. They took too much UC/Gears into it, needlessly IMO. At least, there is still exploration and whatnot. 

So taking one 10 minute video featuring an isolated moment in the story accounts for the entire gameplay experience now?
I mean, it's not like other videos have been shown or anything like that. When have we seen gameplay like this in Uncharted? ;)

IGN 1hr feed

As for Lara's progression from her first kill, do we really know what time frame this 10 minute video takes place in relation to the first kill? 5 minutes later? 3 hours? Do you see what I'm driving at? From a collection of separate and isolated clips we don't have the progressive sequence of the story from one moment to the next in how events build up and shape Lara.

But don't get me wrong, I'm not saying to expect the most poignant or provacative character development here. You don't really get that from most games compared to other media like film and books, where they have to manage their story pacing along with the gameplay pacing. I mean seriously, just how long do you think they can languish on Lara trauma before things have to move forward for the players gaming experience to advance onward.

But the fact that they're even going into the event having an impact on the main protaginist at all is still more character development than most games get into for the medium. It just seems to me that from individual plot moments that have been shown in disconnected sequence, most people here are far too quick to rush to judgement without stopping to consider the context of sequence of chronological events.

Oh please Adobe. I know you're a big TR fan, I know that already. However your argument would work well with trailers, no 10 minutes of gameplay and not even with that 1 hour livestream.

Yes there still is exploration, which I did mention, however even that 1 hour video shows Lara mowing down enemies like it's nothing, just like one would do in Uncharted or Gears. Really, tell me that if you replaced Lara with Drake, would he seem out of place at all? At best it would seem kinda weird that you would be doing so much exploring with Drake in between "UC/Gears/TPS like segments".

And like I said in following posts they could really have done much more than that to go with the survival theme and keep it a TR game.

I'm at the point I WISH I'M WRONG with all of this, but the more the dev's show the more it seems I'm completely right.

So how many enemies should she kill in the game? 0? 1? 20?
AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 AdobeArtist  Moderator

[QUOTE="AdobeArtist"]

[QUOTE="Desmonic"]

Desmonic

IGN 1hr feed

Oh please Adobe. I know you're a big TR fan, I know that already. However your argument would work well with trailers, no 10 minutes of gameplay and not even with that 1 hour livestream.

Yes there still is exploration, which I did mention, however even that 1 hour video shows Lara mowing down enemies like it's nothing, just like one would do in Uncharted or Gears. Really, tell me that if you replaced Lara with Drake, would he seem out of place at all? At best it would seem kinda weird that you would be doing so much exploring with Drake in between "UC/Gears/TPS like segments".

And like I said in following posts they could really have done much more than that to go with the survival theme and keep it a TR game.

I'm at the point I WISH I'M WRONG with all of this, but the more the dev's show the more it seems I'm completely right.

Maybe my main point got mired in the swamp of text. But can you really say people aren't just rushing to assumptions here? In one video we see Lara dealing with her first kill. This has a different sequence, and yes with lots of killing. BUT, can you, I, or anybody really know what time frame this takes place in after that first kill, or what happened in between? Anybody got the answer to this? Anybody at all?

The whole point of this story is that Lara is supposed to evolve, she's supposed to grow through her experiences that she becomes more capable of taking care of herself, and by extension combating enemies - as she was always capable of in previous games that took place when she was already developed. We've seen moments of weakness and fear, and moments of ass kicking, yet this is an journey of A to Z, that the person she is at the end isn't the same as who she was at the beginning.

The only thing we're missing is the pacing of how that progression develops over the course of the actual real time gameplay experience. Which as I've been saying you can't get from isolated and disconnected clips speckling moments from here and there.

Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#145 Miroku32
Member since 2006 • 8666 Posts

clone01

Yeah, was thinking the same thing. Anyways, have never played Uncharted (nor I plan too) so this is like something new for me ;)

DrTrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 DrTrafalgarLaw
Member since 2011 • 4487 Posts

[QUOTE="Desmonic"]

[QUOTE="mems_1224"] Im not seeing a problem. That sounds pretty awesome. mems_1224

Pretty much this. For one, she says sorry for STEALING FROM a dead body. An innocent dead man I might add. The fact she doesn't feel remorse for people that are trying to kill her...well...she ain't got time for that! It's survival, kill or be killed. I don't she how she mows 300 people down, only like 10 in the trailer? As the developer says...there are the more stealthy paths to chose from.

And I don't pay much attention to what they are going for (from interviews, demo's or trailers), I look at purely the game and what they're trying to convey. You might find this a pretty weird reboot/prequel for Tomb Raider, an opinion I respect...but really...when I'm shooting rocket launchers at dinosaurs in previous titles...the realism argument goes away. What I currently see is a little too much scripted scenes and a little too much combat for my taste...but sure as hell is better than previous titles of Tomb Raider. I'll judge the full game when I play it.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

What other series is being killed?DarkLink77

DMC, Tomb Raider, Dead Space 3 embraced the actiony routes, Crysis 3 continues down the wrong path, TESO, Rainbow 6 Patriots, XCOM is an abomination, Aliens will be a disappointment, Splinter Cell looks like sh!t, SimCity (while still looking incredibly fun) is shallow compared to previous entries. That's all I can think of atm.

Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#149 Miroku32
Member since 2006 • 8666 Posts

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]What other series is being killed?ChubbyGuy40

DMC, Tomb Raider, Dead Space 3 embraced the actiony routes, Crysis 3 continues down the wrong path, TESO, Rainbow 6 Patriots, XCOM is an abomination, Aliens will be a disappointment, Splinter Cell looks like sh!t, SimCity (while still looking incredibly fun) is shallow compared to previous entries. That's all I can think of atm.

Then better leave gaming as a hobby or start playing only indie games since games from big publishers will be more "casuals" each day.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 BrunoBRS
apparently things like "consistency" are trivial and harmless now. no wonder the old trope that videogames at the end of the day are all about the killing is still so alive.