Tomb Raider Gameplay Footage Lara slaughtering her way through XD

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 jhonMalcovich
Member since 2010 • 7090 Posts

Yep. You heard right. I don´t know what the first Lara´s kill hype was about, but I know for sure she kills a lot in this gameplay footage.

The video shows a typical corridor of death with Gears of War and Uncharted mechanics. But what about exploration and treasure hunting ? Well...she probably will ransack corpses afterwards for treasures :lol:

Blazerdt47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Blazerdt47
Member since 2004 • 5671 Posts

I would never have guessed the Uncharted influence on this game.

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
Jesus christ does everyone designing this game have some sort of woman beating fetish? The amount of beatings she takes is ridiculous, flying into trees and smashing down giant drops, even Drake took less ridiculous falls than this.
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

They could have replaced Lara with Nathan Drake and this would have looked exactly like Uncharted

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26641 Posts
Wow, the video just got worse and worse as it went along. They went for this "realistic" approach and then I see her falling dozens of feet without repercussions and doing insane things that no human would be capable of.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
"most importantly, she can use her brain" and shoot people in the head, like every other action hero. such a clever girl.
Avatar image for Douevenlift_bro
Douevenlift_bro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Douevenlift_bro
Member since 2013 • 6804 Posts

Uncharted?

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60681 Posts
"most importantly, she can use her brain" and shoot people in the head, like every other action hero. such a clever girl.BrunoBRS
i lol'd and that video was pretty awful. Hope they game turns out well.
DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26641 Posts
"most importantly, she can use her brain" and shoot people in the head, like every other action hero. such a clever girl.BrunoBRS
Apparently barrels explode when you shoot them with arrows too. Nice touch.
IPWNDU2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 IPWNDU2
Member since 2006 • 2535 Posts

Lara Drake?

Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Rocker6
Member since 2009 • 13358 Posts

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of, while the game promises to offer a few open areas allowing for side quests and exploration, seems most of the main sequences will consist of mindless linearity and QTEs, just like Uncharted. Also, they really went overboard with all that moaning. Will wait for reviews, but this looks more and more like a bargain bin sort of a purchase to play when extremely bored...

But not to be all negative, I really like the enviroments, and shotgun kills seem satisfying!

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

This game looks like it's gonna be a course in "Ludonarrative Dissonance 101."

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

How come whatever they say is always contradicted by what happens on screen? I want to like this game but the footage makes it hard. It looks very average and the camera is really annoying, it keeps shaking 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-59b71619573a1

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

They could have replaced Lara with Nathan Drake and this would have looked exactly like Uncharted

Desmonic

What I've been saying since E3 2012. They took too much UC/Gears into it, needlessly IMO. At least, there is still exploration and whatnot. 

Yet some people still deny it vehemently. I don't care that it borrowed a lot, it wouldn't matter if it still looked good, but it doesn't. 

The game seems to want to try really hard to show Lara as innocent and vulnerable at its heart and then its brain tells it to go all action heavy and set pieces galore because that's what gamers like. It's constantly going against itself and feels all over the place. What the devs say doesn't help either

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 AznbkdX
Member since 2012 • 4284 Posts

This game ilooks like it's gonna be a course in "Ludonarrative Dissonance 101."

DarkLink77

Ever read Extra Lives?

I never have but it does have a good showcase on one form of this.

Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Rocker6

DarkLink77

So true...

I mean, just look at that scene where she's wounded from the fall and gets trapped upside down, yet shoots a bunch of enemies with no problem, frees herself, and moves quick and with ease from cover to cover, killing some more enemies. Feels crazy contrived.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-59b71619573a1

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

Rocker6

So true...

I mean, just look at that scene where she's wounded from the fall and gets trapped upside down, yet shoots a bunch of enemies with no problem, frees herself, and moves quick and with ease from cover to cover, killing some more enemies. Feels crazy contrived.

Yeah and it would be fine but the devs are trying to promote this as Lara being a bit less heroine like and a lot more naive and innocent and a weaker form of her usual self that we normally see. Yet she's kicking ass left, right and center. It's a bit up and down and doesn't know what it wants to do. 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-59b71619573a1

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

[QUOTE="Desmonic"]

What I've been saying since E3 2012. They took too much UC/Gears into it, needlessly IMO. At least, there is still exploration and whatnot. 

Desmonic

Yet some people still deny it vehemently. I don't care that it borrowed a lot, it wouldn't matter if it still looked good, but it doesn't. 

The game seems to want to try really hard to show Lara as innocent and vulnerable at its heart and then its brain tells it to go all action heavy and set pieces galore because that's what gamers like. It's constantly going against itself and feels all over the place. What the devs say doesn't help either

Yup. It looks like it'll just be UC/Gears with a female lead (a great female lead by past games at least) and a bigger focus on exploration. But still, Drake would feel right at home in there.

You really could just stick him in there and it would be extremeyl similar.

A note too is that the voice acting is pretty bad

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 AznbkdX

[QUOTE="Rocker6"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

seanmcloughlin

So true...

Yeah and it would be fine but the devs are trying to promote this as Lara being a bit less heroine like and a lot more naive and innocent and a weaker form of her usual self that we normally see. Yet she's kicking ass left, right and center. It's a bit up and down and doesn't know what it wants to do. 

What I would have liked is some sort of build up on it. Like having Lara struggling to take out foes at the beginning and messing up lots of platforming in cinematic scenes, being lucky that she survived, only to get better at it as she goes a long.

The game itself though... its a tough call really. They may have put less fights and more platforming throughout, ala old Tomb Raider style, but you know some ppl tend to get bored faster nowadays. ;)

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="Rocker6"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

seanmcloughlin

So true...

Yeah. The team definitely has a vision, but it doesn't seem like they know how to make that vision work as a game. Right now I see a game about survival filled with killing for the sake of killing because they need a gameplay mechanic and didn't know what else to do.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

Rocker6

So true...

and then once you hit the cutscene inside the other plane, suddenly she's limping because of all her injuries, and she's grossed out from touching a dead pilot.
ultimate-k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ultimate-k
Member since 2010 • 2348 Posts

Well to be fair, Tomb raider legend had her doing it, but I just hope this game has some puzzles.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60681 Posts
[QUOTE="Rocker6"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

BrunoBRS

So true...

and then once you hit the cutscene inside the other plane, suddenly she's limping because of all her injuries, and she's grossed out from touching a dead pilot.

I'm sure Adobe can explain that all away :lol:
Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Rocker6

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

[QUOTE="Rocker6"]

So true...

AznbkdX

What I would have liked is some sort of build up on it. Like having Lara struggling to take out foes at the beginning and messing up lots of platforming in cinematic scenes, being lucky that she survived, only to get better at it as she goes a long.

The game itself though... its a tough call really. They may have put less fights and more platforming throughout, ala old Tomb Raider style, but you know some ppl tend to get bored faster nowadays. ;)

Yeah, that'd be nice and would make much more sense from the story perspective, but nah, here we are stuck with a forced attempt of portraying a "wounded, naive and innocent" Lara who in reality feels more threatening than a guy in a Nanosuit!

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 AznbkdX

I'm all for more realism on certain games, but knowing most ppl they won't look at the nuances in gameplay to cinematic transition. They will only care really about the game as a whole, obviously.

Regardless even with its faults, it does look like it could be fun.

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 AznbkdX

[QUOTE="AznbkdX"]

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

Rocker6

Yeah, that'd be nice and would make much more sense from the story perspective, but nah, here we are stuck with a forced attempt of portraying a "wounded, naive and innocent" Lara who in reality feels more threatening than a guy in a Nanosuit!

Haha. :)

Yep, Nomad better get a good head start!

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 BrunoBRS
[QUOTE="Heil68"][QUOTE="BrunoBRS"] and then once you hit the cutscene inside the other plane, suddenly she's limping because of all her injuries, and she's grossed out from touching a dead pilot.

I'm sure Adobe can explain that all away :lol:

of course he can, but there are two words that sum it up much better:

Ludonarrative Dissonance

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-59b71619573a1

Yeah. The team definitely has a vision, but it doesn't seem like they know how to make that vision work as a game. Right now I see a game about survival filled with killing for the sake of killing because they need a gameplay mechanic and didn't know what else to do.DarkLink77

Bang on. 

When I heard about this game for the first time I had a vision in my head of an oppressive, dark atmosphere with a focus on exploration and mood. Then slowly work some hard won fights into the mix that really change Lara as a person that eventually turned her into the strong heroine we know today.

but what we're getting is a collection of modern gaming tropes because they either couldn't make their vision work, as you said, or they needed to appeal to a broader market and sell copies. Either way the game is not what I wanted 

Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Rocker6

[QUOTE="Rocker6"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

BrunoBRS

So true...

Yeah, and it gets even funnier when you take into the account how she fired an arrow right into some guy's head literally a few seconds before the said cutscene. After that, no one would have any issues with searching a dead pilot...

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9839 Posts
A bit linear and stupid perhaps, but it looks like a good time to me. I Like what they have done with Lara, it's a character I haven't played as before and she seems cool. I wonder how many tools there will be and how much freedom you will have to use them.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-59b71619573a1

I'm all for more realism on certain games, but knowing most ppl they won't look at the nuances in gameplay to cinematic transition. They will only care really about the game as a whole, obviously.

AznbkdX

Again, it's fine if that's what they were going for. But the devs always talked about a different type of experience in interviews before we saw the game, then when we eventually did see it, it sort of went against everything they had been saying. 

The game transitions extremely poorly from one segment to the next, at least Uncharted had consistency in that regard for the most part. But Lara is mowing dudes down and getting pummelled and then suddenly she's limping and as Bruno said, grossed out by a dead pilot. 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-59b71619573a1

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="Rocker6"]

So true...

Rocker6

Yeah, and it gets even funnier when you take into the account how she fired an arrow right into some guy's head literally a few seconds before the said cutscene. After that, no one would have any issues with searching a dead pilot...

What's worse is that she's talking to her friend who is likely being tortured and she desperately wants to get to her, then a bunch of sh!t happens and that thread that was started is all but gone and she doesn't really seem to give a fvck after that. And then what do you know, suddenly she's right where she needed to be all along. 

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]Yeah. The team definitely has a vision, but it doesn't seem like they know how to make that vision work as a game. Right now I see a game about survival filled with killing for the sake of killing because they need a gameplay mechanic and didn't know what else to do.seanmcloughlin

Bang on. 

When I heard about this game for the first time I had a vision in my head of an oppressive, dark atmosphere with a focus on exploration and mood. Then slowly work some hard won fights into the mix that really change Lara as a person that eventually turned her into the strong heroine we know today.

but what we're getting is a collection of modern gaming tropes because they either couldn't make their vision work, as you said, or they needed to appeal to a broader market and sell copies. Either way the game is not what I wanted 

That's what I wanted out of this game, too.

But I'm guessing the reason that didn't happen are the reasons you listed. Unfortunately, we live in a world where games can't be unique anymore, because developers and publishers don't know how to manage their production budgets.

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 AznbkdX

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]Yeah. The team definitely has a vision, but it doesn't seem like they know how to make that vision work as a game. Right now I see a game about survival filled with killing for the sake of killing because they need a gameplay mechanic and didn't know what else to do.seanmcloughlin

Bang on. 

Pretty much that last line nailed it. Games that fit the ideas of isolation and desperation with more focus on narrative don't tend to sell as well as the modern action games put out nowadays. I'm betting its a mixture of both in this case where they couldn't make it work since they needed a bigger audience to sell to.

I still believe they could make a great narrative if they didn't mind risking money.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-59b71619573a1

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]Yeah. The team definitely has a vision, but it doesn't seem like they know how to make that vision work as a game. Right now I see a game about survival filled with killing for the sake of killing because they need a gameplay mechanic and didn't know what else to do.DarkLink77

Bang on. 

But I'm guessing the reason that didn't happen are the reasons you listed. Unfortunately, we live in a world where games can't be unique anymore, because developers and publishers don't know how to manage their production budgets.

It's a shame because if they had actually done what most people wanted they could have appealed to more people, I know I would have bought it then no questions asked. A bit Ironic that their attempt at mass marketing kind of did the opposite.

Also one line really annoyed me in that video, the dev said "Lara has to engage in direct combat for the first time" at the end of the video. What the fvck was she doing up until then? :?

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 AznbkdX

[QUOTE="AznbkdX"]

seanmcloughlin

Again, it's fine if that's what they were going for. But the devs always talked about a different type of experience in interviews before we saw the game, then when we eventually did see it, it sort of went against everything they had been saying. 

The game transitions extremely poorly from one segment to the next, at least Uncharted had consistency in that regard for the most part. But Lara is mowing dudes down and getting pummelled and then suddenly she's limping and as Bruno said, grossed out by a dead pilot. 

Well I wasn't speaking about their promises obviously. It is a bummer that they basically lied to us, but I wasn't really expecting much anyways considering its a reboot of a game that didn't have much story to begin with. They may have made it more story heavy, but then I get reminded of Metroid in this case, albeit of course with much less experience on writing. Not really the same but once you see a reboot that went from one aspect to another, its easier to guess what may happen to other similar transitions.

I do agree with the inconsistencies, but its for the sake of the monehs of course.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-59b71619573a1

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]Yeah. The team definitely has a vision, but it doesn't seem like they know how to make that vision work as a game. Right now I see a game about survival filled with killing for the sake of killing because they need a gameplay mechanic and didn't know what else to do.AznbkdX

Bang on. 

Pretty much that last line nailed it. Games that fit the ideas of isolation and desperation with more focus on narrative don't tend to sell as well as the modern action games put out nowadays. I'm betting its a mixture of both in this case where they couldn't make it work since they needed a bigger audience to sell to.

I still believe they could make a great narrative if they didn't mind risking money.

Sounds like they didn't have a proper set plan when they started out. Lara is a "Tomb Raider" and most of her time should eb spent exploring with small combat scenarios peppered throughout. Like they did in the past. 

Let's hope Crystal Dynamics don't mess up a new Legacy of Kain game, if the rumours are true

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

the violence and gore are a bit over the top. It's like watching a SAW movie taking place in a jungle. A really ugly and boring jungle. I mean, what is wrong with those trees? Where is the color?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-59b71619573a1

Well I wasn't speaking about their promises obviously. It is a bummer that they basically lied to us, but I wasn't really expecting much anyways considering its a reboot of a game that didn't have much story to begin with. They may have made it more story heavy, but then I get reminded of Metroid in this case, albeit of course with much less experience on writing. Not really the same but once you see on reboot that went from one aspect to another, its easier to guess what may happen to other similar transitions.

I do agree with the inconsistencies, but its for the sake of the monehs of course.

AznbkdX

It's another case of devs digging themselves into a hole by talking too much. Casey Hudson did it with ME3 too. 

I am all for reboots and usually have a very open mind. I even liked the new DMC in all it's stupidness and didn't care about the new Dante or anything, because the devs weren't fooling anyone by saying it's this,this and this. Just like before, and I was willing to accept it for what I perceived the game to be. But when a dev comes out and lies about what the game is like and then show us something completely different, it's a bit annoying.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

Bang on. 

seanmcloughlin

It's a shame because if they had actually done what most people wanted they could have appealed to more people, I know I would have bought it then no questions asked. A bit Ironic that their attempt at mass marketing kind of did the opposite.

Also one line really annoyed me in that video, the dev said "Lara has to engage in direct combat for the first time" at the end of the video. What the fvck was she doing up until then? :?

Pretty much. I think that happens with a lot of game series. Nobody seems to understand that the easiest way to appeal to people is to be something that has it's own identity. You'll never beat Call of Duty at being what it is because it invented what it is. You'll never beat WoW at what it does for the same reason. The only thing you'll end up doing is diluting your IP, and potentially losing the people who loved it in the first place. Bumbling about as she murdered, obviously.
Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

Bang on. 

You are one to talk being loving Dead Space despite it getting a ton of the same criticisms...

ps I like Dead Space 3 too, but you are being a hypocrite.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deactivated-59b71619573a1

A better concept, IMO, would be more in line with the first few videos we saw.

Shipwrecked in an isolated island with only animals and indigenous tribe(s). Have her for the first hours run for survival until she get's captured, That moment would be turning point for her, forcing her hand to kill and hurt other humans. Of course at first just killing one enemy should be hard and have an emotional impact on her (during gameplay this could be represented by having her lose focus when aiming, making her unable to use lethal weapons for a while, etc... they could literally come up with loads of restrictions to represent that in gameplay) and exploring should be hard with many areas she couldn't really access simply because she still didn't have enough experience.

As the game progresses, she would "level up", become better at killing /with each kill having less, and less impact on her), become more agile and better at climbing and able to access harder and harder areas, and so forth.

You could (not sure if the game has or not) animal killing at first as way to survive, but later on as way to practise your killing techniques. Also the game should only have bows, knifes and at best machetes/swords. Would make fighting/killing have a much bigger impact on the player (and her).

They literally could have done so much more to turn it into a very unique TR game while keeping the survival thing, instead of TR meets UC/Gears. Just my opinion though.

Desmonic

I think that's what a lot of peopl, myself included, expected. It's kind of what we were promised too back when it was announced. 

I would have liked more isolation from Lara, just her and no other friends or crew to go save. Don't have her be an errand boy(girl). Let her be alone with just dangerous maybe even cannabilistic folk (cos that would be kinda cool) who just want to kill her for the fact that she's not a native. Then have her fight for survival against them and have it all be about the escape. Leave Lara alone for very extended periods of time and have her feel weak and lonely and vulnerable. Let her become strong through experience and perseverance. 

We all know that kind of game in our heads and how it would roughly play out. It would have been a far more compelling experience

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 AznbkdX

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

DarkLink77

Pretty much. I think that happens with a lot of game series. Nobody seems to understand that the easiest way to appeal to people is to be something that has it's own identity. You'll never beat Call of Duty at being what it is because it invented what it is. You'll never beat WoW at what it does for the same reason. The only thing you'll end up doing is diluting your IP, and potentially losing the people who loved it in the first place. Bumbling about as she murdered, obviously.

You never know really. Its a huge gamble to change your series, but sometimes you may get something more out of it. Tomb Raider WAS popular but now that the whole platformer unique kind of character ship already sailed, it may not do as well now as it did before.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts
Steam summer sale here I come.
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 StrongBlackVine

Game looks great to me. I like Uncharted so I don't care if it very similar. Also they have chosen not to show the exploration because that is not what excites people in trailers. And no Tomb Raider was NEVER realistic to begine

StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 StrongBlackVine

Steam summer sale here I come. clyde46

From a 10 minute clip? Forgive me, but you people are really stupid.