Tomb Raider DE: the dumbest argument ever

• 52 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RealJaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By RealJaysonguy
Member since 2013 • 236 Posts

There's an interesting phenomenon running rampant on video game forums -- People arguing about an irrelevant port of a decidedly mediocre reboot that nobody's going to care about past March of this year. I'm talking of course about the port of Tomb Raider to Ps4 and Xbox One.

Gamers, who basically don't have anything else to do on their fancy new consoles, are dueling over whether the Xbox One is a capable games console because the port of a last gen game doesn't run in 60 frames per second.

This could not matter less. Not only is this a game most gamers didn't care about early last year, but it not running as well on the Xbox One has nothing to do with the system itself, but rather the optimization -- or more likely the fact that two different companies handled the ports for Xbox One and ps4.

Yet ps4 gamers who also have nothing to play right now are using a paltry port to boost their confidence in their console, when in reality, it's more likely developers haven't figure out all the quirks of the Xbox One, which based on all the quirks in the OS, I wouldn't be surprised to find extending into the hardware itself.

The ps4 set out with a goal based on the complaints over the ps3 -- make a console that's easy to develop for and easy to use. I love how streamlined everything is on my ps4, a design that was clearly intentional. As much as I love the ps3, it was definitely a hassle at times.

But the Xbox One will be fine as well. Developers will discover how to optimize games to run on the system properly. No matter how much more powerful the ps4 is, the Xbox One is still packing some power under the hood, and the games will come that showcase that.

But the port of Tomb Raider has no bearing on any of that, and it never will.

BlessedChill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 BlessedChill
Member since 2013 • 697 Posts

TC is butthurt because he got owned in another thread and decided to make a thread to cry about it.

RealJaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 RealJaysonguy

@BlessedChill: Nah. No owning goes on here. Just people behaving like children and using words like "butthurt." It's impossible to get owned by someone who talks talks like that.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

@realjaysonguy said:

Not only is this a game most gamers didn't care about early last year,

Oh, there are plenty of gamers who care about this title. And maybe you didn't notice the E3 acclaim it received in 2012? ;)

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By I_can_haz
Member since 2013 • 6511 Posts

Stop being butthurt about the Xbone port being 30fps and looking worse than the PS4 one. You should get used to getting inferior ports because that's all you'll be getting this gen since M$ decided to gimp the Xbone hardware so that they could fit in Kinect. Tomb Raider is an excellent game and all the awards and critical acclaim it got prove it. People have every right to complain about the $100 more expensive console getting the worst looking version. If you can't see why this is a big deal then you're too far M$'s butt to be saved. #DEALWITHIT

RealJaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By RealJaysonguy

@AdobeArtist: Don't get me wrong, the game wasn't bad. I had plenty of fun with it on ps3. Over the long term though, this game will end up long forgotten.

BlessedChill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 BlessedChill

Tomb Raider

Cod

Ac4

Bf4

Titanfall

Ryse

Dr3

Watchdogs (apparently)

Killer Instinct

NFS

All last gen port games that are either sub 1080p/30fps and sometimes both.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

I agree that it is a bit ridiculous. That said, Tomb Raider is an incredible game and would have been my 2013 GOTY had The Last of Us released in a different year.

It shouldn't matter how the game performs so long as it's at least at a stable 30fps. 720p vs 1080p doesn't matter to me as my TV is maxed at 1080i.

Regardless, gaming should be about fun first.

RealJaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By RealJaysonguy

@I_can_haz: you should read entire posts. I get my third parties on ps4 because, yes, they run better. The ps4 is a superior machine. But that doesn't make the Xbox One bad.

But a last gen port doesn't decide any of those arguments.

BlessedChill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BlessedChill

If the Xbox One can't run a multitude of last gen ports in 1080p/60fps like the Playstation 4 can, what makes you think that it'll be able to run next gen games in a remotely respectable graphical fidelity, at least compared to the Playstation 4.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

there is one fact that will always remain... The PS4 is factually more powerful than the Xbone.

RealJaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By RealJaysonguy

@Telekill: I tip my cap to you reasonable internet poster. You're a rare breed.

And I'm not intending to diminish the value of the game. It's just that were an entire console generation away from when this game was relevant. By e3, this game will have long been swept under the rug in favor of the real next gen games.

RealJaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 RealJaysonguy

@Gue1: You get no argument on that front. That will indeed always be true. Again, that's why I'll be getting most third party titles on ps4.

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By I_can_haz

@realjaysonguy: If Xbone is struggling to handle last gen ports now what makes you think it will be fine when the real next gen games come around? Last gen ports should be a breeze for it. Paying $100 more and getting the worst looking versions of multiplats is a problem. If the Xbone cost the same as the PS4 or less then this wouldn't be an issue but it isn't and people have every right to be pissed.

BlessedChill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 BlessedChill

@I_can_haz: preach.

With kinect Xbox is worth $399.00

W/O kinect $339.00 is what it's worth.

RealJaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By RealJaysonguy

@I_can_haz: running code intended for a console made entirely different than the ps4 and Xbox one poses problems in development. It's not as simple as -- more powerful, runs better. These games have to be optimized properly, and that takes time Square Enix isn't going to give developers for a port like this.

I'd hedge my bets the ps4's a lot easier to develop for, seeing that the cell processor was a nightmare. That being said, ps4 will likely always get the better looking games, but that doesn't mean the Xbox One is going to struggle.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17  Edited By Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

@realjaysonguy - True. Most will have moved on to the next argument probably by next week and Tomb Raider DE will be a cliff note.

True next gen multiplat games (defining that as games only on PS4, X1 and PC) is where we will be seeing many more, what I would consider, valid arguments. Tomb Raider's sequel as an example.

RealJaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 RealJaysonguy

@Telekill: agreed. And once developers fully figure out the Xbox One, I think we'll see some impressive visuals.

Ryse and Killzone looked equally impressive in my book, though Ryse showed its on-rails Kinect origins at every turn, which didn't make for a fun experience. But since everyone only seems to care a of graphics, I guess that makes them equal in their books.

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By I_can_haz

@realjaysonguy: I know all about optimization but the argument doesn't hold for Xbone. Basically every multiplat on Xbone that isn't a Sports game has this issue. BF4, COD, Assassins Creed, etc. all have issues on Xbone. Are you honestly telling me that all these devs are incompetent? I'd buy that excuse if the Xbone was made up of exotic hardware like TEH CELL but isn't. ESRAM isn't something that devs don't know how to work with. The problem with Xbone is Bonaire, it is underpowered and it is underpowered because M$ decided to go for it instead if a better GPU so that they could package Kinect with every box. M$ needs to find a way to lower the price if they want people to stop complaining. No manner of PR or butthurt excuses will save them until they do.

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

Xflop runs games like shit compared to PS4 and now lems want to be friends and pretend games are just for fun(and that lems didn't instigate this graphics comparison crap the entire previous generation). I specifically remember the Red Dead Redemption comparison that came down a few patches of grass being omitted from the PS3 version. Talk about being petty.

I'm assuming lensoftruth.com was Microsoft funded site since it has stopped doing comparisons as of early December 2013, what a coincidence.

It's gonna be a long generation rats!

RealJaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 RealJaysonguy

@I_can_haz: I'm just saying give it a bit. First year's rocky for any type of new tech. Hell, my ps4 freezes 20% of the time I open Netflix.

I'm never going to argue that Xbox One games will eventually run better than ps4 games. Sony set out with a goal to make more powerful box that was super easy to develop for, and it's showing year one. They created an architecture that made it a breeze for developers to shift over to.

I don't think Microsoft had this goal because I don't think they had any issues with that on the 360. I think developers are the opposite of incompetent, I think they're tireless. And I think they'll do everything they can to achieve parity between versions of their games.

I'll bet its a goal of every third party developer to find a way to get Xbox One games running in 1080 and 60 fps. I bet a lot of them will find a way to do it. Will it best ps4? No. I doubt of ever will because Sony made sure that wouldn't happen when they designed the ps4.

The whole point of the post is that a port of Tomb Raider isn't going to decide any of this. Time will. Releasing multiple games on the same system will. Just not a port.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

All it proves is what was already known, the ps4 is a much more capable machine, as well as easier to program for.

There's really no new revelation here, it's just dragging the xbone through more and more dirty mud.

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By I_can_haz

@realjaysonguy: You're contradicting yourself. You say that the Xbone games will get better with time but at the same time you say they will never surpass PS4 versions of multiplats. Tomb Raider doesn't prove what exactly? That Xbone games won't have worse looking multiplats all gen? You already admitted that they'll never surpass PS4 versions. The problem for most people isn't the fact that Xbone versions look worse the problem is that they look worse and the Xbone still costs $100 more. People hate paying more for less and that's why Xbone is getting a lot of flack.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

Tomg Raider on PC not only looked better than uncharted, but was ana overall better game than the uncharted series... with more variety in its gameplay, enemies, levels.

So, YOU might not care about a "medicore reboot" considering it is one of the best reboots every does not deter from that fact.

also, X1 can't do 60fps, face reality... your being rather desperate and pathetic.

RealJaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 RealJaysonguy

@I_can_haz: I'm saying the gap will lessen. I don't doubt ps4 will reign supreme in terms of performance, but I think the days of Xbox One games running 720 and 30fps are numbered.

It's a complaint many have with the system, and I think developers hear it loud and clear. I think they'll find a way to get Xbox One games running better. Spending years with the console, it'll be almost impossible not to see performance improve.

I've honestly only played exclusives on the Xbox One so far, so I have no idea how third party games actually run on the system. I've heard it's not great , but I've also learned people exaggerate.

What I do know from four generations of gaming is that problems in the first few months of a console rarely stick around past the first year. I don't believe Xbox One will turn out as bad as everyone claims. Will it be better than ps4? No. Will it be better than what it is now? Almost certainly.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

@realjaysonguy said:

@I_can_haz: I'm saying the gap will lessen. I don't doubt ps4 will reign supreme in terms of performance, but I think the days of Xbox One games running 720 and 30fps are numbered.

It's a complaint many have with the system, and I think developers hear it loud and clear. I think they'll find a way to get Xbox One games running better. Spending years with the console, it'll be almost impossible not to see performance improve.

I've honestly only played exclusives on the Xbox One so far, so I have no idea how third party games actually run on the system. I've heard it's not great , but I've also learned people exaggerate.

What I do know from four generations of gaming is that problems in the first few months of a console rarely stick around past the first year. I don't believe Xbox One will turn out as bad as everyone claims. Will it be better than ps4? No. Will it be better than what it is now? Almost certainly.

sigh... Xbox consoles and PC have always been easy to develope for, this whole FAD with cows and sony buzzwords at the moment don't change that. X1 is as easy to develop for as PS4... you could argue even easier considering it relies on methods used in the industry for years AS THE STANDARD.

There is no magical fix, the only way it will get 1080p and 60 FPS is by cutting back graphics.

There is no magical difference between the 2 systems in this regard. only the hardware difference that the developers are limited by.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

fighting for 2nd place

RealJaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 RealJaysonguy

@MBirdy88: I support the ps4 more than the Xbox. Also, it's just a video game. Perhaps you should learn what desperate and pathetic actually mean.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#29 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Sense: Not allowed in System Wars.

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By I_can_haz

@realjaysonguy: and what makes you think that PS4 games won't pull further ahead with time? If Xbone gets better with time won't the PS4 also get better with time? Also considering the PS4 has better hardware and is easier to program for why would devs hold back the PS4 so that they can get parity with Xbone versions of their games? All this makes no sense at all. If Xbone gets better with time, logically PS4 could get better with time canceling out each other and ensuring the gap remains all gen. Furhermore, there's no reason to believe that the gains from optimization on Xbone versions of multiplats will surpass the optimization on PS4 versions. The reverse could actually happen and the gap could increase. Till then the fact remains that the Xbone costs more and is less capable than the PS4 and this is why people's anger with MS is justified for now.

RealJaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 RealJaysonguy

@I_can_haz: of course the ps4 will also get better. Either of us could be right. We won't know until we get there. I'm just saying the big focus seems to be on 1080p and 60 fps, which I think developers will find a way to achieve on Xbox One. Price is something I'm less worried about than most, I suppose, but that's always going to change. My response to it being more expensive is -- if you don't like the $500 price tag, don't buy it. I do understand the price argument though, there's just not really anything we can so about it.

What it comes down to for me is -- I've seen Killzone. I've seen Ryse. Both games, no matter how you feel about them, prove both machines can output visuals worthy of the "next-gen" title.

The gap may never close between the Xbox One and the ps4, but I also think if there's really that big of a problem with third party games on Xbox, developers will figure it out and make sure it doesn't stay a problem for long.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#32 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60705 Posts

PS4 wins again and thus SDC, thank you SONY!

Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Joedgabe
Member since 2006 • 5134 Posts

@realjaysonguy said:

@AdobeArtist: Don't get me wrong, the game wasn't bad. I had plenty of fun with it on ps3. Over the long term though, this game will end up long forgotten.

It was bad :[ but i'm a spoiled gamer that has played too many games and will descriminate a poorly done game that has elements inferior than most others of it's own level. Hell i might even go as far as to say Lost planet 3 felt more enjoyable.

RealJaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By RealJaysonguy

@Joedgabe: I felt the same way. It didn't seem to do anything I hadn't seen before, which doesn't leave a lasting impression for me.

zekere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#35  Edited By zekere
Member since 2003 • 2536 Posts

Poor Xboners being tortured by the fact that their hardware is weaker....

RealJaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By RealJaysonguy

@Desmonic:

Sorry dude, Tomb Radier's not really anything special. It took an existing franchise and infused it with modern ideas found in other games. I saw nothing new. I consider that mediocre. I'm not saying it's not fun, I had a decent time with it. But when you exclusively use other games' ideas, I consider that mediocre.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#38  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Yes, x86 processors with the same instruction sets have plenty of secret sauce.

67gt500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#40 67gt500
Member since 2003 • 4627 Posts

First thing: i agree with TC that the debate is dumb. Second thing: Tomb Raider (and the new DE Version) is hardly a mediocre or forgettable game... I am not alone when i say that its arguably better than the venerable (but, yes, somewhat overrated) Uncharted games, to date. It doesnt have the story 'chops' that The Last of Us has, but it is a better game overall and certainly more fun to play (i stopped playing TLoU around 2/3 through because, i'll be honest, playing it bores me to tears, compelling story notwithstanding)

RealJaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 RealJaysonguy

@67gt500: while that may be good and true, I have my doubts it's a game people will talk about years down the road.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

It's yet another example of X1's incapability to run last gen games at 1080p 60fps. Funny thing is neither can Ps4, but it's still capable of producing 67% more frames/second than the bone.

j_assassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 j_assassin
Member since 2012 • 1011 Posts

I just wish theres no rain and blood and snow on the screen because I couldnt see a damn thing, and controls are a bit clunky, otherwise its a decent game

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#44 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

The game is good, if you haven't bought it for last gen, buy if for this. I think it's awesome

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

lemming

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@StrongBlackVine said:

@foxhound_fox said:

lemming

cow

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#47 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@StrongBlackVine said:

@foxhound_fox said:

lemming

I've been called a cow, lemming, sheep and hermit throughout my years here. Ultimately, I don't have any allegiances aside from particular franchises. i.e. Metroid, Forza, Team ICO

RealJaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 RealJaysonguy

@foxhound_fox: Neutral gamers have it rough in this forum because most people don't bother reading an entire post, instead finding the first praise for a company and assuming you're a blind fanboy.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

@realjaysonguy said:

@foxhound_fox:

Neutral gamers have it rough in this forum because most people don't bother reading an entire post, instead finding the first praise for a company and assuming you're a blind fanboy.

OR. you made a silly point, X1 ... any Microsoft related Direct X API is as easy as it gets to develop for and is still LIKELY easier than PS4... OpenGL is generally harder. though probably not that noticeable for their more skill staff.

fact remains, the hardware holds back the X1, not the developer's "knowledge" of it... a ridiculous thing to say.

Its funny how one line of Sony marketing this generation has managed to convince people that suddenly MS related technology is suddenly harder to develop for... ridiculous.

RealJaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 RealJaysonguy

@MBirdy88: In all reality, only developers themselves know how difficult or not difficult a particular platform is to develop for, and it's something we'll most likely never know the true answer to.