Tomb Raider @ 60fps on PS4, 18fps drops on XB1

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by Locutus_Picard (3933 posts) -

Verified sources close to Rocket Chainsaw have detailed performance and rendering quality of both the Xbox One and PlayStation builds of Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition. And for that we’re thankful. So here it is!

On average:

PlayStation 4 = 60 fps

Xbox One = 30 fps

Yes, the PlayStation 4 build is, on average, twice the framerate of the Xbox One build. Both builds are rendering at native 1080p resolution, and generally look the same in graphical effects (though some minor differences may apply). Performance is a different matter. Both feature unlocked framerates, meaning framerate fluctuates between higher and lower values. The Xbox One build can technically reach around 45 fps, though this performance is generally only achieved during the most empty, simplest environments. For most of your play, and during action scenes, the Xbox One build will sit on around 30 fps. On the other hand, the PlayStation 4 build will attempt to hit 60 fps as often as possible, and does a pretty good job of doing so, but does have slight dips under 60 fps during certain scenarios.

So there it is. Both 1080p. PlayStation 4 = 60fps solid. Xbox One = ~30fps with drops, we’ve confirmed it on our end, and confirmation for the rest of the world is only a week away.

BOOMv2.0

BOOM

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-tomb-raider-definitive-performance-analysis

#2 Posted by AppleFan1991 (2927 posts) -

Huh. Not even that definitive for the Xbox One then. Really sad that they are going to still try and sell this for $60

#3 Edited by Joedgabe (4996 posts) -

Doesn't really matter much. This whole thing feelsl ike a rip-off for those that haven't played it... good thing i have woohooooooo on that note it's an okay game. Too many filler moments though.... way too many.

#4 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (11114 posts) -

lololol

#5 Posted by HEB86 (10 posts) -

Once MS unlocks power from THe CLoud. this game will run at 90 fps with no problem

#6 Edited by Nengo_Flow (8841 posts) -

Jesus Christ... how could they not update a game that came out last year for the X1 properly. I mean, they are calling it Definitive version or whatever... yet its still not as good as the PC version and then its basically the same as the 360 version on the X1 (mind you that the 360 version was the worst out the three.)

#7 Posted by navyguy21 (12540 posts) -

When small, blog-like websites break news before the major sites, you know its accurate!

#8 Posted by foxhound_fox (85372 posts) -

I'm sure it ran better than that on the 360.

#9 Edited by Heil68 (40625 posts) -

Another multi plat better on the quad, all thanks to SONY for giving us the world's most powerful video game console to have ever been created in the history of video games. Quite stunning really.

#10 Posted by BattlefieldFan3 (341 posts) -

This is fucking bullshit.

The Xbone is so hard to dev for that multiplat devs are spending 99% of their manpower, time and effort trying to optimize Xbone and leaving the PS4 version unoptimized.

I'll pass on this. Not going to support shit like this. It doesn't even make business sense. Just leave the Xbone at 720p, 20 FPS and make PS4 LOCKED 60 FPS and 1440p. Xbone owners don't buy games and more people own the PS4. They should be trying to cater to us, not the xboners.

#11 Posted by joel_c17 (2764 posts) -

no way can this be true - the xbone cant be that weak can it?

#12 Edited by nyzma23 (841 posts) -

meh fraud edition it will flop hard people are not stupid square enix

#13 Posted by Locutus_Picard (3933 posts) -

The trade-off is 1080p. The HD 5770 in the XB1 isn't going to do much 1080p @60fps in this gen. It's either 720p@60 or 1080p@30.

#14 Posted by Rage010101 (5470 posts) -

Both are dogshit edition compared to the true definitive version that is Tomb Raider for PC.

#16 Edited by stereointegrity (10537 posts) -

didnt they already say both are at 30fps

#17 Edited by MonsieurX (27170 posts) -

This is fucking bullshit.

The Xbone is so hard to dev for that multiplat devs are spending 99% of their manpower, time and effort trying to optimize Xbone and leaving the PS4 version unoptimized.

I'll pass on this. Not going to support shit like this. It doesn't even make business sense. Just leave the Xbone at 720p, 20 FPS and make PS4 LOCKED 60 FPS and 1440p. Xbone owners don't buy games and more people own the PS4. They should be trying to cater to us, not the xboners.

1440p PS4?

top lel

#18 Posted by BlessedChill (676 posts) -

Inb4 "diffrence between 60 and 30 fps is margin at best."

#19 Edited by BattlefieldFan3 (341 posts) -

didnt they already say both are at 30fps

Yes, because SE was aiming for graphical parity. After the 30 FPS outrage from gamers, they ticked the 60 FPS cap box and are now shouting that it's 60 FPS on the PS4. Boycotting this shit company. Why the f*ck would I pay $60 for a game that took probably took 2 days to port with a 2-man team? I ain't subsidizing the endless manpower and hours spent optimizing the Xbone version.

#20 Edited by kitty (113988 posts) -

Everyone complains that the xb1 can't run 1080p games, it then does, and then you complain about the framerate. Even though its @30fps, which if you are console gamer, you've been playing at that since you probably started gaming. Seems like most of you complain just to complain.

#21 Edited by I_can_haz (5735 posts) -

Boom, and like that the lems have been owned.

"Bu...bu..bu...but my eyes can't tell teh difference between 30fps and 60fps!!11"

LOL, I wasn't going to get this because I thought it was 30fps on PS4 just like Xbone. Now that it's confirmed 60fps on PS4 I just might bite and buy it again,

#22 Edited by naz99 (796 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

The trade-off is 1080p. The HD 5770 in the XB1 isn't going to do much 1080p @60fps in this gen. It's either 720p@60 or 1080p@30.

Its not a 5770 its the equivalent of a 7790

#23 Posted by Doolz2024 (9578 posts) -

I'm sure the cloud will help smooth things out.

#24 Posted by BattlefieldFan3 (341 posts) -

@naz99 said:

@Locutus_Picard said:

@foxhound_fox said:

7790 is 1.79 TF. It's a 5770, 6770 or a 7770.

#25 Posted by BlessedChill (676 posts) -

@2ndwonder: people complain because a cheaper console (PS4) at times vastly outperforms the Xbox One.

They feel cheated.

#26 Edited by Locutus_Picard (3933 posts) -

@naz99 said:

@Locutus_Picard said:

@foxhound_fox said:

a 7790 can run this 1080p @ 60, XB1 can't.

#27 Posted by I_can_haz (5735 posts) -

Dat Bonaire strikes again!

#28 Posted by timbers_WSU (5753 posts) -

Both versions have fluctuating frame rates. Learn to fucking read.

#29 Edited by BattlefieldFan3 (341 posts) -

A game that runs at 60 FPS but dips 1-3 frames very rarely is fine.

You wanna bet your account that the Xbone starts dipping 10 frames below 30 regularly?

#30 Posted by TheTruthIsREAL (631 posts) -

Ouch...

#31 Posted by kitty (113988 posts) -

@2ndwonder: people complain because a cheaper console (PS4) at times vastly outperforms the Xbox One.

They feel cheated.

You must not have been on this board long enough, most of the people that complain are the ones that won't even buy it for that console. Let alone they won't even buy the console itself. Even if it ran @60fps, they would complain about something.

#32 Posted by Dreams-Visions (26569 posts) -

This will be a running theme the entire generation.

Prepare for it, Lemmings. Kinda makes me sad I bought this One. The exclusives need to start getting here in a hurry to make me feel better about this.

#33 Edited by I_can_haz (5735 posts) -

@timbers_WSU: yea but hardly any games are locked. Even BF4 on PS4/XB1 that are advertised as 60fps games fluctuate, so that fluctuating framerate excuse doesn't pan out.

Fact is, one version has an average frame rate of 60fps and another has an average of 30fps. Even more damning is the fact that the 30fps version runs on the more expensive console. Dat Bonaire strikes again.

#34 Posted by MonsieurX (27170 posts) -

@timbers_WSU said:

A game that runs at 60 FPS but dips 1-3 frames very rarely is fine.

You wanna bet your account that the Xbone starts dipping 10 frames below 30 regularly?

What's up with the ban bet fetish?

#36 Posted by foxhound_fox (85372 posts) -

@naz99 said:

@Locutus_Picard said:

@foxhound_fox said:

a 7790 can run this 1080p @ 60, XB1 can't.

I think they are talking about chipset, not processing ability.

#37 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (2603 posts) -

Hardly the Definitive Edition.

#38 Posted by BlessedChill (676 posts) -
#39 Posted by Locutus_Picard (3933 posts) -

@BlessedChill said:

They feel cheated.

You must not have been on this board long enough, most of the people that complain are the ones that won't even buy it for that console. Let alone they won't even buy the console itself. Even if it ran @60fps, they would complain about something.

I think if you're plonking down $600 for a gaming machine in 2014, whether it's a console, a pre-built PC or a custom PC rig, you expect it to do 1080p @ 60fps at least.

#40 Posted by goatcheese11 (90 posts) -

If true I think this speaks more on the laziness of the developers rather than the capabilities of the X1.

#41 Posted by BattlefieldFan3 (341 posts) -

If true I think this speaks more on the laziness of the developers rather than the capabilities of the X1.

Rofl... No. The Xbone version probably received the most attention. It's the PS4 version that's unoptimized. Just imagine if PS4 games got the attention Xbone games did. They'd make Xbone look like a PS2.

#42 Posted by BlessedChill (676 posts) -

@goatcheese11: doubt it. We've seen a lot of multiplats on the PS4 to be just downright vastly superior.

Why would devs act lazy twoards the Xbox and not PS4?

#43 Edited by Locutus_Picard (3933 posts) -

Lazy devs again? Explain Crytek, Titanfall, CoD: Ghosts etc.

XB1 really is a TV tuner with mini-games in it.

#44 Posted by Syn_Valence (1320 posts) -

If only this was a game i cared about, i would be like TLHBO, but honestly WHOS GOING TO BUY THIS SHIT.

#45 Posted by PinkieWinkie (1263 posts) -
#46 Posted by EtherealMachine (86 posts) -

Funny how those words were uttered by PS fans last gen...

System Wars, never change.

#47 Edited by goatcheese11 (90 posts) -

@BattlefieldFan3 said:

@goatcheese11 said:

Rofl... No. The Xbone version probably received the most attention. It's the PS4 version that's unoptimized. Just imagine if PS4 games got the attention Xbone games did. They'd make Xbone look like a PS2.

If AC4: Black Flag can look comprable on both X1 and PS4 then theres no reason a game such as Tomb Raider cannot, again unless the developers are just lazy.

#48 Posted by BlessedChill (676 posts) -

If you don't like kinect, the Xbox One at this point is just an outright ripoff.

The PlayStation 4 seems to be the only true generation 8 console.

#49 Posted by BattlefieldFan3 (341 posts) -

@BattlefieldFan3 said:

@goatcheese11 said:

If AC4: Black Flag can look comprable on both X1 and PS4 then theres no reason a game such as Tomb Raider cannot,

That's because the Xbone is so hard to dev for that multiplat devs spend most of their resources coding and optimizing for the Xbone versions while the PS4 versions were lazily ported and unoptimized. Read DF's article on how The Crew was ported to the PS4 by a 2-3 man team in a couple of weeks.

#50 Posted by blamix99 (1332 posts) -

toinkzz