Tom McShea gives BEYOND a 9, but TLOU an 8???

• 81 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Edited by Ballroompirate (21580 posts) -

In case if you haven't learned by now, Tom is a troll. I know it's hard to try and ignore it and pretend "it's just an opinion" but then you realize he gets paid to troll and you hate him even more.

#52 Edited by soulitane (13374 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu said:

^ I never accused you of saying you didn't like it, I'm out right stating that you don't like it. Correct me if I'm wrong. And yeah I'm falling down to semantics, whatever that means ! And you only engaged with me because you wanted to win ? Peculiar.

So again, nothing to back that up with, you're not very good at this are you? I have yet to play it, so I don't have an opinion on it as of yet, though I am interested in playing it. It does seem odd that you'd say I didn't when there was literally no evidence to back up that claim.

Semantics is when you make an argument based off the meaning of a word, you chose to specify the word "need" where it was quite clearly used not in it's intended meaning but more colloquially. No, I engaged you to correct you, you made a big fluff out of it when you couldn't handle the truth that it's simply an adventure game.

#53 Posted by Cranler (7705 posts) -

Typical Gamespot shenanigans. Metacritic for Beyond is 73 so they rate it way higher to stand out on Metacritic. TLOU is 95 on Meta so they rate it way lower to stand out on Meta.

#54 Posted by CleanPlayer (9763 posts) -

I'm an hour in with Beyond Two Souls and so far I have no gripe with the score (It's pretty spot on from my first impressions). But regarding TLOU, I do disagree heavily with the score but Tom's criticism was valid with the AI regarding Ellie. It can break the immersion of the stealth action, but I didn't agree with how he believed you can't sympathize with the characters

#55 Posted by AvatarMan96 (7321 posts) -

@AvatarMan96 said:
@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@AvatarMan96 said:

@dvalo9: Isn't that how an opinion works?

Your avatar...have you seen that movie?

Of course! A Clockwork Orange is easily one of my top 10 movies of all time :D

Not often I run into people that has seen that movie.

It's a pretty rare occurrence nowadays, unfortunately.

#56 Posted by verbalfilth (4565 posts) -

Another Tom McShea thread ...

This guy is succeeding if he is just looking to be the center of attention with his controversial reviews.

#57 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (8514 posts) -

@ soulitane

good, you should try it, maybe then it would change your whole "this is a glorified" adventure game" analysis. You wana know whats an adventure with high production values ?.... LA Noire.

Not every one can sit on their thumbs and wait for "evidence". Anyway why are you in such a hurry to brand this game ? Aren't you gona wait for evidence, Mr. Double Standards ?

#58 Posted by NameIess_One (559 posts) -

@AvatarMan96 said:
@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@AvatarMan96 said:

@dvalo9: Isn't that how an opinion works?

Your avatar...have you seen that movie?

Of course! A Clockwork Orange is easily one of my top 10 movies of all time :D

Not often I run into people that has seen that movie.

Well, it's not really a movie for everyone... but I think it's awesome. Probably my favorite Kubrick movie.

#59 Posted by AtariKidX (6192 posts) -

Really...??lol

#60 Edited by Articuno76 (18648 posts) -

@Gue1: There is a big difference in that films aren't just reviewed but critiqued. For many people a film review doesn't answer the question 'should you go see it' (nor do they try to). A game review on the other hand is different (we are currently seeing a change from consumer advice oriented reviews towards critiques though. At the moment many reviews are neither or).

What I would say is, is that the website should (as a general trend) be useful to its audience if its reviews are consumer advice oriented. When a reviewer is consistently at odds with that of the the audience that is paying him (through advertising revenue streams) then that creates a conflict of interest. And it begs the question, 'who are the reviews being written for?'.

All reviews are biased by nature (as a point of reference, all reviews on this site are biased/oriented towards people who are not new towards gaming), the important thing to keep in mind is whether or not a review biased in a way that the audience needs it to be. I don't think Tom's are. Gamespot need to accept that and understand that if they continue using reviewers like him that there audience demographics are going to shift towards people who agree with reviewers like Tom...or it will just shrink.

Tom's reviews are a very important voice in the sea of reviews out there, and there is probably a place were reviewers of his ilk can gather and inform a like-minded audience who finds their opinions useful. I just don't think that Gamespot is that place (as evidenced by the fact that almost no one agrees with him).

Edit: Though I do think having a unique angle (especially one the audience might not agree with) is still useful. As an editorial piece I'd love to see games analysed from another perspective. But as a review?...hmm...again this will gradually change as reviews increasingly become critiques/glorified editorials, but for the moment a majority of reviews are still written primarily to be informative.

#61 Posted by ShadowriverUB (5515 posts) -

@campzor said:

The guy is a pretty lousy reviewer.

4 for bioshock infinite

7.5 for infamous and r&c TOD.

Its as if he has no proper taste.

proper taste depends on your seat position :>

#62 Edited by Senor_Kami (8248 posts) -

Beyond is worth a 9. Sounds accurate.

#63 Edited by Heil68 (42552 posts) -

Tom gave sony score to reflect world class, high scoring games. By golly I'm fine with that,

#64 Edited by foxhound_fox (86815 posts) -

I'm not sure people understand the concept of an opinion anymore.

#65 Posted by soulitane (13374 posts) -

@ soulitane

good, you should try it, maybe then it would change your whole "this is a glorified" adventure game" analysis. You wana know whats an adventure with high production values ?.... LA Noire.

Not every one can sit on their thumbs and wait for "evidence". Anyway why are you in such a hurry to brand this game ? Aren't you gona wait for evidence, Mr. Double Standards ?

Who said it's a glorified adventure game? I'm saying it is an adventure game, because that's the genre it fits into. The evidence is in his previous games, which are also adventure games. You seem quite offended by the idea that it's an adventure game, I'm curious as to why that is?

"An adventure game is a computer-based game in which the player assumes the role of protagonist in an interactive story driven by exploration and puzzle-solving instead of physical challenge."

Seems to be roughly what his games are, sure they are light on puzzle solving but it fits to a tee for the story driven aspect. You have yet to actually have a decent argument as to how it's not an adventure game, so how about giving that a try before trying to denounce the fact, it is an adventure game.

#66 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (8514 posts) -

@ soulitane

Oh good God you're so dim, I never accused you of saying its a Glorified Adventure game, I was mocking you, big difference ! Totally went over your head. Also it doesn't fit into that genre perfectly, Heavy Rain and Fahrenheit sure as hell didn't fit into those genres either, hell Its barely even a game, and yep Im offended, I think ? Pretty much the sameway I was offended when somebody called Portal an FPS and Mass Effect a TPS and Bioshock Infintite a GOTY. It really hurts when people do That :( why are you hurting me !

Anyway why don't you go ahead and tell me about all the puzzles in Fahrenheit, Heavy Rain and Beyond, please don't hold back. I doubt the totall would be more than the puzzles in a single episode of Telltales The Walking Dead . My point is flimsy but so is yours, Mr. Double Standards. You admitted its light on puzzle solving, which is an undersatement, and disqualifies it as an Adventure game :p . Oh and One last thing I already know what category Beyond fits better into I just cant say it because ....... Well ........ Because uhm........ Look just trust me on this one, nobody's gona understand, they're not ready for the truth yet.

#67 Edited by caseypayne69 (5381 posts) -

Tom is a bit of a troll reviewer. I would say he is not lined up with reality.

#68 Posted by soulitane (13374 posts) -

@ soulitane

Oh good God you're so dim, I never accused you of saying its a Glorified Adventure game, I was mocking you, big difference ! Totally went over your head. Also it doesn't fit into that genre perfectly, Heavy Rain and Fahrenheit sure as hell didn't fit into those genres either, hell Its barely even a game, and yep Im offended, I think ? Pretty much the sameway I was offended when somebody called Portal an FPS and Mass Effect a TPS and Bioshock Infintite a GOTY. It really hurts when people do That :( why are you hurting me !

Anyway why don't you go ahead and tell me about all the puzzles in Fahrenheit, Heavy Rain and Beyond, please don't hold back. I doubt the totall would be more than the puzzles in a single episode of Telltales The Walking Dead . My point is flimsy but so is yours, Mr. Double Standards. You admitted its light on puzzle solving, which is an undersatement, and disqualifies it as an Adventure game :p . Oh and One last thing I already know what category Beyond fits better into I just cant say it because ....... Well ........ Because uhm........ Look just trust me on this one, nobody's gona understand, they're not ready for the truth yet.

So are you going to provide an actual argument? It's not a puzzle orientated game, so it's no longer an adventure game? Your argument is practically non-existent. I'm actually quite curious, outside of David Cage's games, do you have much experience with the adventure game genre?

#69 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (8514 posts) -

@ Mr. Double soulitane Standards.

Get off your high horse Mr. Double Standards. If you stop focusing on me, then You'l noticed you contradicted yourself with your adventure game definition. And no, I have very little experience with Adventure games, my most recent is Testament Of Sherlock Holmes, before that, it was LA Noire, a Sam and Max demo, and getting stuck in Myst.

#70 Posted by soulitane (13374 posts) -

@ Mr. Double soulitane Standards.

Get off your high horse Mr. Double Standards. If you stop focusing on me, then You'l noticed you contradicted yourself with your adventure game definition. And no, I have very little experience with Adventure games, my most recent is Testament Of Sherlock Holmes, before that, it was LA Noire, a Sam and Max demo, and getting stuck in Myst.

How so? Because they're very light on puzzles? You've yet to explain your argument, and simply just skirt around the point. I'm still not seeing why you're getting upset about it not being some grand new thing.

#71 Posted by Zidaneski (8435 posts) -

After finishing Beyond I totally understand why he gave it a 9. Once I got about halfway in Beyond the game clicked for me and I couldn't put it down. There are some tedious gameplay parts but every scene makes sense and all comes together amazingly. Decisions you make can have greater impact than one might realize at first. Beyond has an even better story than The Last of Us and story has a stronger focus in Beyond. If the story was bad yet had good gameplay the game would have been sevearly marked down for it.

#72 Posted by mems_1224 (45717 posts) -

PEOPLE HAVE DIFFERENT OPINIONS?!?!? WHAT??!?!

nonsense

#73 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (8514 posts) -

Lol. You shot yourself in the foot. You made a mistake, man up and admit it. Any victory here on system whores is just small and petty. Its not worth risking your mental integrity for. Also new things happen all the time. Your familiar with the term genre splicing right ? Usually happens with RPGs but the genetic pool is getting larger. Cant wait for a Racing Vehicular Combat Puzzle co-op game.

#74 Posted by Flubbbs (2788 posts) -

yall dont actually come to gamespot for their game reviews do you?

#75 Posted by XboxGuy1537 (2359 posts) -

Tom became an absolute joke when he gave Bioshock Infinite a 4 out of 10. He should be fired for that asinine review.

#76 Posted by Bigboi500 (28804 posts) -

lol I remember when GS posters were praising him for his SS review, and now everybody is calling him a troll just because he gave a popular FPS a low score.

#77 Posted by GodspellWH (363 posts) -

His was generous if you look at others reviews because GS was one of the few sites that gave it such a score. Also TLOU is a completely different game I don't think they can be compared but than again I liked the story more compared to the gameplay of both games good thing I didn't buy them.

#78 Edited by chocolate1325 (32368 posts) -

You haven't realised how bad a reviewer he is lets go through some

Ratchet and Clank Tools of Destruction GS 7.5 My Score 8.5

InFamous 2 GS 7.5 My Score 9.5

LOZ Skyward Sword GS 7.5 My Score 9.5

Bioshock Infinite Toms Score 4 Original Score 9 My Score 10

The Last of Us GS 8 My Score 10

Beyond Two Souls GS 9 My Score 7

Oh and just to say I loved Heavy Rain it beats the hell out of Beyond Two Souls. I gave Heavy Rain a 9.

#79 Posted by enzyme36 (1406 posts) -

I rather enjoy B2S... it interests me a lot more than TLOU does and I look forward to finishing it. Just because a game is not throwing a bunch of filler enemies at you does not make it any less of a game.

Both good games, just different styles. Who cares about the score... TLOU is higher on the meta if you are feeling insecure.

#80 Posted by mrintro (1354 posts) -

@enzyme36 said:

I rather enjoy B2S... it interests me a lot more than TLOU does and I look forward to finishing it. Just because a game is not throwing a bunch of filler enemies at you does not make it any less of a game.

Both good games, just different styles. Who cares about the score... TLOU is higher on the meta if you are feeling insecure.

People keep mentioning the score. I was talking about how Tom failed to list any negatives for the game. And I have played BEYOND, even as a story game, it has significant flaws. They stripped down whatever gameplay they had in Heavy Rain, and also the choices you make are for the most part, inconsequential.

#81 Posted by ArisShadows (22610 posts) -

Lol. Good ol' Tom.

#82 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (8514 posts) -

@ mrintro "And I have played BEYOND, even as a story

game, it has significant flaws. They stripped down

whatever gameplay they had in Heavy Rain, and

also the choices you make are for the most part, inconsequential."

Well we are not entirely sure whether or not narrative choices qualify as a critiria or not for this Type of game, Tomb Raider couldve boosted its score if it left out the stealth mechanics. Maybe thats what happened here, they removed some features they thought would only dilute the score.