To Those Who Accuse Killzone of Being Generic

• 112 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Szminsky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 Szminsky
Member since 2005 • 1471 Posts

Killzone (especially nr.2) is very unique, and the only FPS i thoroughly enjoyed. Can't stand "twitch-shooters" like Halo or COD (when they changed to modern warfare).

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#52  Edited By trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

I think when people say "generic" they mean something along the lines of "boring" and "bland".

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#53  Edited By PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

Killzone 2 was great. I love slow paced shooters. Killzone 3, on the other hand, was very uninspiring.

XxR3m1xInHDn3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 XxR3m1xInHDn3D
Member since 2013 • 2365 Posts

@DanteSuikoden said:

People are still feeling the effects of being Killzowned back in 09. One of the main symptoms was extreme damage control which is why people always throw around the word generic whenever Killzone is mentioned.

No.

Over 100,000 concurrent players were playing Halo 3 every day in 2009 and it was even out popping MW2 so I don't think any console FPS gamer gave a single sht about Killzone and it showed with its population count. Cows love to praise it simply because it's on the Playstation.

XxR3m1xInHDn3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 XxR3m1xInHDn3D

@Szminsky said:

Killzone (especially nr.2) is very unique, and the only FPS i thoroughly enjoyed. Can't stand "twitch-shooters" like Halo or COD (when they changed to modern warfare).

How the hell is Halo a twitch shooter?

Suppaman100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Suppaman100
Member since 2013 • 5250 Posts

@PAL360 said:

Killzone 2 was great. I love slow paced shooters. Killzone 3, on the other hand, was very uninspiring.

Indeed. The multiplayer was very enjoyable.

KZ2's multiplayer was simpler and better than KZ3's imo.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#58  Edited By sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I think its just another word for saying that they dont like that particular game.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@k2theswiss said:

@BluRayHiDef said:

@k2theswiss: Tell me your reasons for getting an X1 instead of a PS4?

1. the most simple and currently the games right out the gate or near future
    1. dead rising 3
    2. possibly fable legends enjoyed 1/2 not so much 3 so i give it other chance if i like what i see
    3. titanfall
    4. halo 5
  2. halo is one of my favorite series
  3. xbox live has ruled this gen just like last gen, Sony has been working to improve psn, but still hasn't caught up yet. Hopfuly sony can bring some heat to ms this time around, It be better for everyone
  4. i like idea of kinect being included in every box and this time it's not just a add on
  5. i mostly end up with both either way down the road

1.Dead Rising an average game at best original was 8.4 here.

2.Fable really.? Last one sucked hard from what i remember.

3.Titanfall is not exclusive You can even play it on your 360 or even PC.

4.That another game that now sits at the 80+ club,the last halo game wasn't that good and it was drop by its user base faster than any other halo ever,since Bungie left Halo would probably not be the same.

Halo again..

XBL was and still is a stinking rip off and the only thing it has over PSN is party chat which now is also gone since on PS4 there is party chat even cross platform with PC and Vita.

PSN+ >>>>>> Live..

You like the idea of Kinect because you are a lemming,i know for fact that if Kinect wasn't there and the xbox one was $399 or lower i would at least make a sacrifice and get one.

XxR3m1xInHDn3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By XxR3m1xInHDn3D

@tormentos said:

@k2theswiss said:

@BluRayHiDef said:

1. dead rising 3
    2. possibly fable legends enjoyed 1/2 not so much 3 so i give it other chance if i like what i see
    3. titanfall
    4. halo 5
  3. xbox live has ruled this gen just like last gen, Sony has been working to improve psn, but still hasn't caught up yet. Hopfuly sony can bring some heat to ms this time around, It be better for everyone
  4. i like idea of kinect being included in every box and this time it's not just a add on

An average game that most Cows have even admitted to being more interested in than any PS4 launch exclusive.

The last one was pretty bad but at least it's going in a different direction

True, but how many consolites actually have a computer capable of running any game that has been released in the last few years? (they love to bring up a steam survey for hermits so imagine how bad consolites PCs are)

4.That another game that now sits at the 80+ club,the last halo game wasn't that good and it was drop by its user base faster than any other halo ever,since Bungie left Halo would probably not be the same.

As a huge Halo fan I agree that 4 sucked but Reach was the beginning of the end for Halo. The thing is that 343 HAS to make Halo 5 a system seller as the casuals have their minds made up for them that the PS4 is the way to go.

XBL was and still is a stinking rip off and the only thing it has over PSN is party chat which now is also gone since on PS4 there is party chat even cross platform with PC and Vita.

PSN+ >>>>>> Live..

XBL is a rip off when it comes to free games but as an overall service + online games it's still better than PS+ and it's very easy to get a year of Live for £20 (around $13)

You like the idea of Kinect because you are a lemming,i know for fact that if Kinect wasn't there and the xbox one was $399 or lower i would at least make a sacrifice and get one.

Kinect being bundled just means that developers will want to make games for it now and no one can deny that the tech is good so this time it will actually reach its potential.

Chrome-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#61 Chrome-
Member since 2009 • 1744 Posts

@CyberLips said:

When i hear the word generic i think of Ryse SOR because to me it's very forgettable and has nothing unique in it.

not sure if srs

name me one game that is as similar as ryse?

CyberLips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 1

#62 CyberLips
Member since 2009 • 1826 Posts

@Chrome- said:

@CyberLips said:

When i hear the word generic i think of Ryse SOR because to me it's very forgettable and has nothing unique in it.

not sure if srs

You play as a random general, "Marius", in charge of the Roman army and you command your soldiers through Kinect, not to mention all those quick time events. I don't see anything intriguing about it....

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

@BluRayHiDef said:

Killzone, in my opinion, is just as unique as any of the other major shooters, such as Halo, Call of Duty, and Battlefield.

1. Halo is a fast paced space shooter that relies on exaggerated jumping mechanics, requires very fast reaction times, and features plasma/ thermal-energy projectile weapons.

2. Call of Duty is also a fast paced shooter, but is very realistic in regard to its setting and weapons (i.e. ordinary bullet-firing weapons/ virtual models of actual weapons).

3. Battlefield is a realistically paced shooter, also with a realistic setting and realistic weapons, but it's set apart from other shooters by its large maps and 64 player count.

Killzone is unlike any of these games. So, why do people always call it generic? It's quite sluggish compared to them all. Its weapons are unlike those in Halo in that even though they're futuristic, they mainly rely on bullets instead of plasma/ thermal-energy, and they're also unlike those in Call of Duty in that even though they mainly fire bullets, their designs are unlike modern weaponry. It's unlike Battlefield for the same reasons it's unlike Call of Duty.

So, once again, what's up with the 'generic' argument?

Because Killzone does nothing except copy CoD, Halo, Half-Life, etc. It's the "me, too!" FPS. For Christ's sake, they added Gears of War's Horde Mode in the next Killzone game...

Chrome-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#64  Edited By Chrome-
Member since 2009 • 1744 Posts

@CyberLips said:

@Chrome- said:

@CyberLips said:

not sure if srs

You play as a random general, "Marius", in charge of the Roman army and you command your soldiers through Kinect, not to mention all those quick time events. I don't see anything intriguing about it....

The whole concept is very unique It's a blockbuster gladiator game there's nothing like it in the market right now, I applaud Crytek for at-least trying to do something different and not follow the norm of angry jacked bald headed space marine FPS.

CyberLips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By CyberLips

@Chrome- said:

@CyberLips said:

@Chrome- said:

@CyberLips said:

not sure if srs

The whole concept is very unique It's a blockbuster gladiator game there's nothing like it in the market right now, I applaud Crytek for at-least trying to do something different and not follow the norm of angry jacked bald headed space marine FPS.

Blockbuster? That's hilarious.

Did you know there is already a gladiator like game for PS3? It's called Spartacus Legends. It's crappy but it's also F2P like Ryse. And just because something is different it doesn't mean it's interesting.

Avatar image for always_explicit
always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 always_explicit
Member since 2007 • 3379 Posts

@CyberLips said:

@Chrome- said:

@CyberLips said:

@Chrome- said:

not sure if srs

Did you know there is already a gladiator like game for PS3? It's called Spartacus Legends. It's crappy but it's also F2P like Ryse. And just because something is different it doesn't mean it's interesting.

Just because you dont perceive it to be interesting doesnt mean it isnt.

fadersdream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#67 fadersdream
Member since 2006 • 3154 Posts

I really like that game, but it is generic.

Why do people try to argue that fact?

Fans should advertise what it IS, and embrace that instead of constantly trying to convince people that it's an entirely revolutionary experience.

YOU generate criticism, where you could be selling a property with a very clean direct summary.

It's a GENRE, SCI-FI military shooter would probably get more players than revolutionary game like you've never played before.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

@CyberLips said:

But can you really say it's forgettable if it was so forgettable to the point that you remember it every time something forgettable happens, which would then make it pretty, you know, memorable.

CyberLips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 CyberLips

@always_explicit said:

@CyberLips said:

@Chrome- said:

@CyberLips said:

@Chrome- said:

not sure if srs

Just because you dont perceive it to be interesting doesnt mean it isnt.

That's why i said "to me".

CyberLips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 CyberLips

@funsohng said:

@CyberLips said:

But can you really say it's forgettable if it was so forgettable to the point that you remember it every time something forgettable happens, which would then make it pretty, you know, memorable.

True words were spoken. xD

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12061 Posts

More comments that continue to make Sony Fan the least informed faction on SW.

'Halo is a fast paced twitch shooter.'

'Ryse is generic.' But BloomZone is the best shooter in the last 10 years.

'Halo was BloomZoned back in 09.'

Sony Fan just needs to stop. They are doing serious damage to the reputation they never had.

So sad.........

BlbecekBobecek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#72 BlbecekBobecek
Member since 2006 • 2949 Posts

@Sushiglutton said:

"Generic" is one of the laziest criticisms in gaming. If you ignored it 100% of the time you would be close to optimal.

Could I say it is a "generic criticism"?

Suppaman100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Suppaman100
Member since 2013 • 5250 Posts

It's the same as COD, BF, Halo,... other fps's.

CyberLips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 CyberLips

@kuu2 said:

More comments that continue to make Sony Fan the least informed faction on SW.

'Halo is a fast paced twitch shooter.'

'Ryse is generic.' But BloomZone is the best shooter in the last 10 years.

'Halo was BloomZoned back in 09.'

Sony Fan just needs to stop. They are doing serious damage to the reputation they never had.

So sad.........

What's really sad is that everyone who dislikes an Xbox game is now a Sony fan.

FragTycoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 FragTycoon
Member since 2008 • 6430 Posts

I would argue that Killzone 'was' the most unique shooter on the market.

It initially started out with a trench warfare and cover/covert mechanic. (although I seriously doubt most people here played the first one)

Over time they've yielded to the run-and-gun mechanic that's 'generic' in FPS today.

I actually like that a person can't turn 180 degrees and shot back instantly, if you get the drop on them.

I may be the only person who wants the series to go back to it's KZ1/2 roots.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50556 Posts

@StormyJoe: Never played Killzone 2? The game is literally nothing like those games you mentioned. Never played 3's MP, but same thing with it's SP.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#77 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Generic is a term thrown around way too much around here. That said Killzone has always lacked imagination compared to other shooters. It's always followed the trends set by other shooters and hasn't really done much to set itself apart. From the art to the characters and then the general gameplay, nothing stands out about the series. It's not bad. Killzone 2 and 3 were above average games with good graphics for their respective platform but they weren't remarkable in any way and were quickly forgotten.

Shadow Fall looks pretty much the same as the last two. Very pretty graphics but completely unremarkable in pretty much every single way.

Newhopes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#78 Newhopes
Member since 2009 • 4775 Posts

Borezone, KZ1 was ok KZ2 mp was good other than that the series sucks arse.

2mrw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#79 2mrw
Member since 2008 • 6205 Posts

This is a very good point, I am always feeling that the series has something off about it, it looks great, feels great but overall it isn't extraordinary at anything (gfx aside)

Anyway, KZ:SF looks the best out of all the previous KZ games so I am really optimistic about it.

Bazooka_4ME

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Bazooka_4ME
Member since 2008 • 2540 Posts

wasnt Killzone 2 that first brought the lean and peek system, and KZ3 brought the sliding and melee animation?

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By GD1551
Member since 2011 • 9645 Posts

When people say generic they mean boring.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c79c3cfce222
deactivated-5c79c3cfce222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#82  Edited By deactivated-5c79c3cfce222
Member since 2009 • 4715 Posts

I accuse it of being dull.

Killzone 2 at least had nothing that compelled me to keep playing the second I started having problems progressing when that sort of miniboss guy was introduced. Started wondering why I'd want to keep retrying that part until I got it right, and I didn't have an answer. Was so meh'd by that experience I got KZ3 years ago for $5 and still haven't taken the disc out of the case. Just seems like more of what KZ2 was doing.

Shadow Fall seems like it might be a step up.

NineTailedGoku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 NineTailedGoku
Member since 2012 • 1977 Posts

@PAL360 said:

Ive never understood this notion. I've always thought 3 was as good as 2 besides the menu design.

Armoured_Mage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Armoured_Mage
Member since 2005 • 766 Posts

I wouldnt call halo fast paced and battlefield being realistic? lol.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60712 Posts

People who are jealous of the games world class pedigree resort to name calling like that. Ignore them and enjoy the greatness that is awaiting you TC.

GustavoDALBEN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 GustavoDALBEN
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

I have the last 2 killzones, i wanted so bad to like the game, but i didnt, its a matter of taste, a lot of ppl love the game :) . The fist 10 minutes its like "this is great" and then... meh.

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

Not generic, just not really fun.

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 zeeshanhaider
Member since 2004 • 5524 Posts

Who cares, it's crap anyways. Hell GG never made a good game in their entire career.

NineTailedGoku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By NineTailedGoku

@ActicEdge said:

Thats your opinion though. If I said the same thing about a Nintendo franchise you're crazy about, youd call me wrong. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but Killzone and other Sony shooters get way more crap than they should.

NineTailedGoku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By NineTailedGoku

@Wasdie said:

Generic is a term thrown around way too much around here. That said Killzone has always lacked imagination compared to other shooters. It's always followed the trends set by other shooters and hasn't really done much to set itself apart. From the art to the characters and then the general gameplay, nothing stands out about the series. It's not bad. Killzone 2 and 3 were above average games with good graphics for their respective platform but they weren't remarkable in any way and were quickly forgotten.

Shadow Fall looks pretty much the same as the last two. Very pretty graphics but completely unremarkable in pretty much every single way.

i don't understand what other shooters like Halo, Battlefield, and COD does that could be considered unique. I think other shooters just have more marketing behind it and that makes us all think they're better or more significant. The only shooter that has any sort of imagination is the Bioshock series. It can be argued that other series I mentioned above are just as unimaginative.

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

@NineTailedGoku said:

@ActicEdge said:

Thats your opinion though. If I said the same thing about a Nintendo franchise you're crazy about, youd call me wrong. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but Killzone and other Sony shooters get way more crap than they should.

Isn't it assumed its my opinion? Did it bother you so much you needed to point out what was rather obvious from the get go? Everyone is free to hate on what I like all they want. For me? Meh, KZ is not really fun or interesting.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#92  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

"It isn't generic because the guns aren't the same".

What a generic argument.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#93  Edited By deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

Every single FPS is generic. Even Half Life and BioShock Infinite felt generic. The word has lost its meaning by now

rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 rjdofu
Member since 2008 • 9171 Posts

As unique as Call of Duty.

NineTailedGoku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By NineTailedGoku

@ActicEdge said:

@NineTailedGoku said:

@ActicEdge said:

Isn't it assumed its my opinion? Did it bother you so much you needed to point out what was rather obvious from the get go? Everyone is free to hate on what I like all they want. For me? Meh, KZ is not really fun or interesting.

No, It actually want assumed and it didn't bother me at all. A lot of posters here hate on Killzone, Resistance, and other Sony shooters and have never played them. I thought you were another poster doing the same. If not, my mistake.

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

The art is generic. The soundtrack is generic. Its just a run of the mill series really with NOTHING to set it apart other than the fact its playstation exclusive, therefore cows cream themselves over it.

And before you say thats the same with Halo - its not. Halo gained hype for good reason, before it was even an Xbox game.

Halo, CoD and Battlefield have all had a big impact on the FPS genre. Killzone has not. Guerilla struck lucky with 2, but even that suffered from crappy characters, crappy story and crappy level design.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#97 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

@tormentos:

@XxR3m1xInHDn3D said:

@tormentos said:

@k2theswiss said:

@BluRayHiDef said:

1. dead rising 3
    3. titanfall
    4. halo 5

An average game that most Cows have even admitted to being more interested in than any PS4 launch exclusive.

The last one was pretty bad but at least it's going in a different direction

True, but how many consolites actually have a computer capable of running any game that has been released in the last few years? (they love to bring up a steam survey for hermits so imagine how bad consolites PCs are)

As a huge Halo fan I agree that 4 sucked but Reach was the beginning of the end for Halo. The thing is that 343 HAS to make Halo 5 a system seller as the casuals have their minds made up for them that the PS4 is the way to go.

PSN+ >>>>>> Live..

XBL is a rip off when it comes to free games but as an overall service + online games it's still better than PS+ and it's very easy to get a year of Live for $31.96 (around $13)

Kinect being bundled just means that developers will want to make games for it now and no one can deny that the tech is good so this time it will actually reach its potential.

Just about what i would of said. Thanks

343 has came out and called their own selfs out on halo 4 mistakes.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
Member since 2008 • 4166 Posts

@RR360DD said:

The art is generic. The soundtrack is generic. Its just a run of the mill series really with NOTHING to set it apart other than the fact its playstation exclusive, therefore cows cream themselves over it.

And before you say thats the same with Halo - its not. Halo gained hype for good reason, before it was even an Xbox game.

Halo, CoD and Battlefield have all had a big impact on the FPS genre. Killzone has not. Guerilla struck lucky with 2, but even that suffered from crappy characters, crappy story and crappy level design.

Oh hell no, troll all you want but KZ3's soundtrack was awesome.

Loading Video...

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#99 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38035 Posts

As a veteran, cod or bf or any shooter, is anything but realistic. KZ is a great series. Love the psp, vita iterations, kz2,3. The first was meh.

Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 107

#100 Demonjoe93
Member since 2009 • 9869 Posts

@XxR3m1xInHDn3D said:

@DanteSuikoden said:

People are still feeling the effects of being Killzowned back in 09. One of the main symptoms was extreme damage control which is why people always throw around the word generic whenever Killzone is mentioned.

No.

Over 100,000 concurrent players were playing Halo 3 every day in 2009 and it was even out popping MW2 so I don't think any console FPS gamer gave a single sht about Killzone and it showed with its population count. Cows love to praise it simply because it's on the Playstation.

KIllzone 2 was active until its sequel came out. What are you talking about?