To Those Who Accuse Killzone of Being Generic

• 112 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 BluRayHiDef
Member since 2009 • 10839 Posts

Killzone, in my opinion, is just as unique as any of the other major shooters, such as Halo, Call of Duty, and Battlefield.

1. Halo is a fast paced space shooter that relies on exaggerated jumping mechanics, requires very fast reaction times, and features plasma/ thermal-energy projectile weapons.

2. Call of Duty is also a fast paced shooter, but is very realistic in regard to its setting and weapons (i.e. ordinary bullet-firing weapons/ virtual models of actual weapons).

3. Battlefield is a realistically paced shooter, also with a realistic setting and realistic weapons, but it's set apart from other shooters by its large maps and 64 player count.

Killzone is unlike any of these games. So, why do people always call it generic? It's quite sluggish compared to them all. Its weapons are unlike those in Halo in that even though they're futuristic, they mainly rely on bullets instead of plasma/ thermal-energy, and they're also unlike those in Call of Duty in that even though they mainly fire bullets, their designs are unlike modern weaponry. It's unlike Battlefield for the same reasons it's unlike Call of Duty.

So, once again, what's up with the 'generic' argument?

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

"Generic" is one of the laziest criticisms in gaming. If you ignored it 100% of the time you would be close to optimal.

dommeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By dommeus
Member since 2004 • 9433 Posts

@BluRayHiDef: why does it matter?

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By BluRayHiDef

@dommeus said:

Why does asking anything about video games on a gaming board matter? Gee, I don't know.

DanteSuikoden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 DanteSuikoden
Member since 2008 • 3427 Posts

People are still feeling the effects of being Killzowned back in 09. One of the main symptoms was extreme damage control which is why people always throw around the word generic whenever Killzone is mentioned.

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts

Any game that's an FPS is instantly called generic with no logical thought or reason, because it's currently the most common genre.

PyratRum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By PyratRum
Member since 2013 • 778 Posts

I wouldn't call it generic but it's not exactly original either. I've always enjoyed the series for its "heavy" gunplay and gritty military sci-fi setting.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Meh, I don't see what's generic about it really. It's a more-than-solid FPS with its own special brand of military sci-fi warfare. Beyond that, it would be harder to see what line would constitute generic anyways.

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 BluRayHiDef

@Blabadon: My point exactly. There's nothing generic about it, but whenever a thread about it or the PS4 is made, you see a bunch of haters come in and call it generic. It's ridiculous.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I dunno. Once I played a a number of FPS games, I mentally start grouping them into their similarities such as mission layout, size of map, invisible walls, mission progression, etc in the SP campaign. There's a number of them that have the same general formula: CoD, Crysis 2, KZ2 n KZ3, Metro, Hard Reset. I don't have a 360 and thus, never played any of the Halo games long enough to have a basis.

The only unique FPS games I've seen are STALKER n Far Cry 3, and to a smaller extent, Crysis/Warhead. To me, Far Cry 3 would be an example of what I'd like an FPS game to be. But, that's not to say I don't enjoy "generic" FPS games. On the contrary, I had fun with all the games I mentioned above.

Being "generic" doesn't mean it's not fun.

-Snooze-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 -Snooze-
Member since 2009 • 7304 Posts

What you described as KZ sounds just like battlefield ... But with Space marines

lensflare15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By lensflare15
Member since 2010 • 6652 Posts

It's an easy dismissal of a FPS console exclusive, at least for fanboys.

psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 psymon100
Member since 2012 • 6835 Posts

Well, Haze felt really special.

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 BluRayHiDef

@-Snooze-: Killzone plays very differently than Battlefield. As mentioned in the OP, KZ is slower paced and sports futuristic weaponry. On the other hand, Battlefield is a bit faster paced (though not too fast like COD or Halo) and sports modern/ realistic weaponry. It also has larger maps and more players, as well as vehicles (e.g. jets, tanks, go-carts, etc). They're nothing alike.

dommeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 dommeus
Member since 2004 • 9433 Posts

@BluRayHiDef said:

@dommeus said:

Why does asking anything about video games on a gaming board matter? Gee, I don't know.

Yeah but, why do you care what people label Killzone? I'm not judging your hobby (f*ck, it's my hobby too), but I just don't understand why you would post this here?

Let's be honest, you, like most users, will refuse to listen to reason, and will repeat yourself ad nauseum until the topic is forgotten. Then, a month or two from now, you will make the same topic, and do exactly the same thing.

System wars.

-Snooze-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By -Snooze-
Member since 2009 • 7304 Posts

@BluRayHiDef said:

@-Snooze-: Killzone plays very differently than Battlefield. As mentioned in the OP, KZ is slower paced and sports futuristic weaponry. On the other hand, Battlefield is a bit faster paced (though not too fast like COD or Halo) and sports modern/ realistic weaponry. It also has larger maps and more players, as well as vehicles (e.g. jets, tanks, go-carts, etc). They're nothing alike.

I disagree. They're both quite slow paced, well KZ2 was. KZ3 felt more like COD in space, as opposed to BF in space. BF has vehicles too, they're just not space mariney, the gameplay was still very a like(KZ2) The setting is generic, just a bunch of space marines, and the gameplay is generic too, especially KZ3 was was just a very average game. KZ2 however had a nice unique sense of weight to everything.

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts

First person shooters are like cheap cologne. They're all the same and they stink.

Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Rocker6
Member since 2009 • 13358 Posts

I don't know, I just find it painfully average. KZ games are decent FPS, but nothing more. If they weren't exclusive, I think critic reception would've been much colder, they'd quickly get lost in the sea of more competent competitors.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@Sushiglutton said:

"Generic" is one of the laziest criticisms in gaming. If you ignored it 100% of the time you would be close to optimal.

Yep and will apply even to Halo which many accuse of copying half life and other FPS.

Is basically a stigma any shooter for PS is generic it doesn't matter it could be the very best ever and it will still be call generic,in fact Killzone 2 gameplay was so difference from COD or Halo it wasn't even funny to compare it,the game took time to master the weight feel was something that set it apart from Halo more floaty gameplay or COD 40 MPH gameplay.

Resistance was more fast paced,and was always say to be COD with aliens,never mind that UT was also fast paced to so were other FPS before COD,which was basically a world war game of the ton when it hit.

Resistance had some of the most coolest weapons i have ever seen on a FPS,like the Auger that deployed a shield and actually could go trough walls,i remember when i played online when you were a chimera you could actually turn your special ability on and you could see trough wall and if you had the Auger you finish people without even exposing your self to fire,problem was that activating the special power over heated you and your energy started to drain so a simple shot could kill you or even if you just did not turn it off.
The Bullseye was also incredible once tag it was impossible to escape,all the bullets would fly to you even if you moved to other place.

Generic is a term that apply to basically any game now,few games really innovate this days,and those that bring something is not something big.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Some of the criticism about an FPS game being generic stems from having a similar "corridor" style of environment, be it invisible walls or unclimbable buildings/cliffs, especially in the SP campaigns. Then there's the requisite rail shooting sequence and/or QT events. KZ 2 and 3 also added the blasted Six-axis sequences which to me, are pretty useless. I hate Six-axis with a passion.

Avatar image for stereointegrity
stereointegrity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By stereointegrity
Member since 2007 • 12151 Posts

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 BluRayHiDef

@stereointegrity: Wow!

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24  Edited By k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

someone hasn't played halo... I played 1-2 ones, and it felt nothing special, Maybe for it's time as I did play them in 2011. I had no intention playing 3 due to experience with 1-2. Anyways i will say new killzone does look nice in graphic wise, but true question is it special? If it was special i might be leaning towards a ps4 vs a x1 right now but i rather play cod/bf4 over it any day

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 BluRayHiDef
@k2theswiss said:

someone hasn't played halo... I played 1-2 ones, and it felt nothing special, Maybe for it's time as I did play them in 2011. I had no intention playing 3 due to experience with 1-2. Anyways i will say new killzone does look nice in graphic wise, but true question is it special? If it was special i might be leaning towards a ps4 vs a x1 right now but i rather play cod/bf4 over it any day

COD and BF4 will both be available on PS4, so why would they be reasons to get an X1 over a PS4?

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By RimacBugatti
Member since 2013 • 1632 Posts

To be honest in my opinion Halo was very basic. Gameplay was lame and visually I was not impressed. Killzone is unique in comparison. unfortunately some people are afraid of change and that's what Sony offers with their Playstation consoles. I myself enjoy innovation and creativity and that's why I preordered PS4 because it looks to offer some new experiences. Yes Xbox was trying to offer something different but what they were trying to offer doesn't appeal to gamers as much as it appealed to households as far as providing similar experiences as a computer. So why wouldn't they just stick with a computer. Xbox in my opinion isn't competing with PS4 because PS4 is a gaming console as for Xbox One is an entertainment device. And Tablets don't compete with consoles because a Tablet is not a gaming device nor does it offer a gaming experience. True gamers are Playstation fans. Gaming is gaming and unfortunately PC as well doesn't offer some of the awesome games that you can get on Playstation. Overall Playstation stands for what gaming has always been. I myself will be disappointed when they get away from consoles which I think they will be doing ion the near future.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

I think when most people say generic, they mean it sux.

Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 107

#28  Edited By Demonjoe93
Member since 2009 • 9869 Posts

Because the vast majority of them are stupid fanboys who have either not played the game or not played enough of it to have an accurate opinion of it. It's just like @Sushiglutton said in this thread about "generic" being a lazy criticism towards a game. "Generic" is one of the biggest cop-out excuses fan boys use here to bash a game that's not on their system.

lockjaw333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 lockjaw333
Member since 2003 • 1743 Posts

I wouldn't say its generic....I just think the series isn't good.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 k2theswiss

@BluRayHiDef: there is more reasons why im leaning more towards a x1 then ps4 then just some multiples...

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

Killzone isn't really generic; it's just not that good.

The controls are atrocious for the most part when compared to other games, and single player campaign is interesting at best.

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 BluRayHiDef

@k2theswiss: Tell me your reasons for getting an X1 instead of a PS4?

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By I_can_haz
Member since 2013 • 6511 Posts

@BluRayHiDef: Here on SW people call any game they don't like "generic". You have to remember most of the people that post here aren't too bright. They like to use words most of the time that they don't know the meaning of just to sound cool to their peers. Killzone is not generic, if people want to call it generic because it is an FPS set in a war zone then every other FPS out there is generic (Arma, BF, Halo, Titanfall, etc. are just as generic as KZ then).

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#34 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

It's just a lazy way to say that they didn't enjoy the game.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 k2theswiss

@BluRayHiDef said:

@k2theswiss: Tell me your reasons for getting an X1 instead of a PS4?

1. the most simple and currently the games right out the gate or near future
    1. dead rising 3
    2. possibly fable legends enjoyed 1/2 not so much 3 so i give it other chance if i like what i see
    3. titanfall
    4. halo 5
  2. halo is one of my favorite series
  3. xbox live has ruled this gen just like last gen, Sony has been working to improve psn, but still hasn't caught up yet. Hopfuly sony can bring some heat to ms this time around, It be better for everyone
  4. i like idea of kinect being included in every box and this time it's not just a add on
  5. i mostly end up with both either way down the road
remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#36 remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

Personally, I never gave Killzone a chance until a few months ago (killzone 3). I've always viewed it as Sony's attempt at creating a "Halo killer". I must say, that I'm glad I gave it a chance but it's a very fun game. It has a unique style of gameplay with the weight of the guns, and the classes. I love the multiplayer. I'm tired of the Halo series myself, so I was open to change. Halo really isn't all that great anymore tbh, especially after experiencing 4. The series has been milked to death, and it's showing. I was a huge Gears fan this gen also, but they don't need to make another one of those either. But it's going to happen...

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts

It's generic. Every FPS game is generic at this point. Most good games are generic anyway. Games that try to break out of a mould usually end up being awful

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#38 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Forgettable might be a better description, at least for past games in the series. Who knows, maybe this one will be more memorable.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#39 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

@drekula2 said:

First person shooters are like cheap cologne. They're all the same and they stink.

Just like stealth games.

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts

@BluRayHiDef said:

Killzone, in my opinion, is just as unique as any of the other major shooters, such as Halo, Call of Duty, and Battlefield.

1. Halo is a fast paced space shooter that relies on exaggerated jumping mechanics, requires very fast reaction times, and features plasma/ thermal-energy projectile weapons.

2. Call of Duty is also a fast paced shooter, but is very realistic in regard to its setting and weapons (i.e. ordinary bullet-firing weapons/ virtual models of actual weapons).

3. Battlefield is a realistically paced shooter, also with a realistic setting and realistic weapons, but it's set apart from other shooters by its large maps and 64 player count.

Killzone is unlike any of these games. So, why do people always call it generic? It's quite sluggish compared to them all. Its weapons are unlike those in Halo in that even though they're futuristic, they mainly rely on bullets instead of plasma/ thermal-energy, and they're also unlike those in Call of Duty in that even though they mainly fire bullets, their designs are unlike modern weaponry. It's unlike Battlefield for the same reasons it's unlike Call of Duty.

Shut your face.

Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 107

#41  Edited By Demonjoe93
Member since 2009 • 9869 Posts

@Jebus213 said:

@BluRayHiDef said:

Shut your face.

You sure told him.

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 soulitane
Member since 2010 • 15091 Posts

It's not, people here just aren't smart enough to know what generic actually means.

tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts

It's not really generic (Although people have different meanings held to that word) but it's not a unique series either. Especially as the sequels continue to be pretty much the same thing, just prettier.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#44 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58943 Posts

Battlefield isn't realistic. Yes, Killzone is generic. If it wasn't for the visuals no one would care.

DanteVincent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#45 DanteVincent
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

I love me some killzone, op describes it very accurately, also, something that most people fail to realize on killzone, most due to habit and most due to not knowing is the aiming system, in killzone , to get the most accurate shot you have to crouch, not ADS, you only ADS to take on people who are REALLY far, aiming down the sight in a mid range fire fight will get you killed before your screen can zoom in and change perspective, you add to the the sense of weight the weapons have, much like in bf3 as tc perfectly described, and you have a game where aiming and shooting takes different set of actions.

Aside from that you have class systems, with very distinct and unique roles even more so than battlefield, i'll let my bias flow here, i love me some class based multiplayer lol, in any genre, classes are awesome, the more varied and distinct the better, killzone does that.

Warzone, it's like battlefield, i do prefer battlefield in this regard, but that's mostly due to the setting, i like real more than fiction, but killzone does it different, more dinamically with chaging and random objectives.

Game is great, weren't for that they wouldn't have gotten 9 and 8,5 respectivelly, the hating is become really generic, the game, no, the game is not.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#47 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

Halo is not fast paced. Not even the slightest.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#48 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

@BluRayHiDef said:

CyberLips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#49 CyberLips
Member since 2009 • 1826 Posts

When i hear the word generic i think of Ryse SOR because to me it's very forgettable and has nothing unique in it.

kipsta77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 kipsta77
Member since 2012 • 1119 Posts

It's not generic. It's just bland, it doesn't have its own flavour. And damn is it boring....