To all those complaining about Sony dropping PS2 Hardware

This topic is locked from further discussion.

asdasd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 asdasd
Member since 2005 • 4464 Posts
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/711/711242p1.html
"Of course, including the extra hardware drives up costs. The magazine adds that Sony plans on removing the PS2 chipset from future revisions of the PS3 hardware once it has finished development of a proper software-based PS2 emulator. Such a removal would help bring down costs for the system."

They told us this in June 2006..
nyoroism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 nyoroism
Member since 2007 • 3778 Posts
Cost of a PS2 - 130 dollars. 600-130 = 470. Still the most expensive out there.
Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts

Cost of a PS2 - 130 dollars. 600-130 = 470. Still the most expensive out there.nyoroism

It's probably alot less then that. No case, no remote, no DVD drive, no mother board (PS3 board supplies that)... They are only using the chips and thats it. There like what? $20-$30 now a days? Maybe even less then that.

$750 or so cost to make a $600 PS3 - $30 = $720 to make a $600 PS3.

Even 1 cent times 3 million units = $30,000 saved.

asdasd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 asdasd

[QUOTE="nyoroism"]Cost of a PS2 - 130 dollars. 600-130 = 470. Still the most expensive out there.Truth_Hurts_U

It's probably alot less then that. No case, no remote, no DVD drive, no mother board (PS3 board supplies that)... They are only using the chips and thats it. There like what? $20-$30 now a days? Maybe even less then that.

I didnt actually post this to show that sony is saving money. I posted this to show that Sony has been working on software emulation for quite a long time. It wont be as !@#$ty as people think.
Vampyronight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 Vampyronight
Member since 2002 • 3933 Posts
Great find. Glad to finally show that this was intended to happen all along, not just to screw Europeans or cut off future owners from backwards compatibility.
nnavidson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 nnavidson
Member since 2006 • 934 Posts
[QUOTE="Truth_Hurts_U"]

[QUOTE="nyoroism"]Cost of a PS2 - 130 dollars. 600-130 = 470. Still the most expensive out there.asdasd

I didnt actually post this to show that sony is saving money. I posted this to show that Sony has been working on software emulation for quite a long time. It wont be as !@#$ty as people think.

The fact that Sony hasn't released any details is a lousy move no matter how you look at it.  I've posted this in other threads, but I'll post it in this one to.  Until there are firm details, it would be foolish to make such a large purchase.  Wait until the dust settles.

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Truth_Hurts_U

asdasd

Why do people pick on 360's software emulation? Because it has some glitches in games. Emulation is never perfect. They were much better off using the hardware.

Some games might run better, some might run slower and some not at all. Thats not counting the glitches that might show their head as well.

Hardware provided a much more uniform an stable environment for the games.

Once they make a program they can replicate over and over again, at a fraction of the cost to replicate psychical hardware.

-voodoo_child-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 -voodoo_child-
Member since 2006 • 1648 Posts
I read that this could lead to HD PS2 games and that a simple firmware update can make more PS2 games BC... EDIT: Found the link: HD PS1/2 games I hope it's true because PES6 looks rubbish on my HDTV...
asdasd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 asdasd

[QUOTE="asdasd"]I didnt actually post this to show that sony is saving money. I posted this to show that Sony has been working on software emulation for quite a long time. It wont be as !@#$ty as people think.
Truth_Hurts_U

Why do people pick on 360's software emulation? Because it has some glitches in games. Emulation is never perfect. They were much better off using the hardware.

Some games might run better, some might run slower and some not at all. Thats not counting the glitches that might show their head as well.

Hardware provided a much more uniform an stable environment for the games.

Once they make a program they can replicate over and over again, at a fraction of the cost to replicate psychical hardware.

Wow, a bit on the defensive arent you? I did not even mention the 360 in this topic.
nnavidson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 nnavidson
Member since 2006 • 934 Posts

I read that this could lead to HD PS2 games and that a simple firmware update can make more PS2 games BC... EDIT: Found the link: HD PS1/2 games I hope it's true because PES6 looks rubbish on my HDTV...-voodoo_child-

That's why all the Xbox games work 100% on the 360 now.  Simple firmware update.

nyoroism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 nyoroism
Member since 2007 • 3778 Posts

[QUOTE="-voodoo_child-"]I read that this could lead to HD PS2 games and that a simple firmware update can make more PS2 games BC... EDIT: Found the link: HD PS1/2 games I hope it's true because PES6 looks rubbish on my HDTV...nnavidson

That's why all the Xbox games work 100% on the 360 now.  Simple firmware update.

Is this true? Do I no longer have to buy XBOX games with caution?
Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Truth_Hurts_U

I didnt actually post this to show that sony is saving money. I posted this to show that Sony has been working on software emulation for quite a long time. It wont be as !@#$ty as people think.
asdasd

Wow, a bit on the defensive arent you? I did not even mention the 360 in this topic.
asdasd

Defensive? No. Explaining? Yes.

Vampyronight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 Vampyronight
Member since 2002 • 3933 Posts
[QUOTE="nnavidson"]

[QUOTE="-voodoo_child-"]I read that this could lead to HD PS2 games and that a simple firmware update can make more PS2 games BC... EDIT: Found the link: HD PS1/2 games I hope it's true because PES6 looks rubbish on my HDTV...nyoroism

That's why all the Xbox games work 100% on the 360 now. Simple firmware update.

Is this true? Do I no longer have to buy XBOX games with caution?

No, there are still PLENTY that are missing.
stevencompton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14 stevencompton
Member since 2003 • 1461 Posts
Yeah, I saw that. I was hoping that I'd at least get the chance to get hardware emulation though. The main disapointment was that Sony didn't sound as if they much cared to support and update the emulator for the PS3 and also saying that it would only play a limited selection of PS2 games.
asdasd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 asdasd
Yeah, I saw that. I was hoping that I'd at least get the chance to get hardware emulation though. The main disapointment was that Sony didn't sound as if they much cared to support and update the emulator for the PS3 and also saying that it would only play a limited selection of PS2 games. stevencompton

Ive read some where (Cant find the link , sorry ) that sony is saving about 30$ per PS3 by dropping the PS2 hardware. They are shipping about 1,000,000 units for the Europe launch. Saving 30,000,000$ on a launch is a pretty good deal for going to software emulation.
Avatar image for finishthisfirst
finishthisfirst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 finishthisfirst
Member since 2007 • 64 Posts
Cost of a PS2 - 130 dollars. 600-130 = 470. Still the most expensive out there.nyoroism
zepher 470$ Xbox 360 HDMI + 120 Gig
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#17 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

I highly doubt that is what will happen. All it is is the "chipset," which likely means just the CPU and GPU... which would probably be worth nowadays around 20-30 bucks.

Still, at least they have done something that seems smart for once.