TLOU vs GTA V vs Zelda

• 71 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by drekula2 (1898 posts) 8 months, 7 days ago

Poll: TLOU vs GTA V vs Zelda (118 votes)

Zelda: A Link Between Worlds 44%
The Last of Us 42%
Grand Theft Auto V 14%

My three favorite games of the year. Which one do you think is the best of the three, and why.

My personal comparison

Grand Theft Auto VPros: superb acting, giant colorful diverse overworld, mission variety (finally!), character switching ; smooth driving controls
Cons: weak storywriting, unfocused satire, confusion on it's overall theme, high lethality disrupts exploration

Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
Pros: Non-linearity (freedom, finally!); excellent overworld; great exploration; large roster of items; cool 3d ; dat ending
Cons: dungeons are a bit easy ; mostly absent characters/story ; identity crisis with ALTTP

The Last of Us
Pros: excellent story ; moral implications ; danger-filled combat ; great characters ; emotionally investing
Cons: limited character interactivity ; uncanny valley; weak puzzles

It's a tough decision for me. Zelda and GTA have been my two favorite franchises, yet TLOU surprised me a lot.

#1 Posted by chocolate1325 (32433 posts) -

The Last of Us but Zelda is the best franchise.

#2 Posted by FreedomFreeLife (1994 posts) -

This is too unfair poll when you diden´t add PC games that had so much better games.

Why Zelda is there when Mario got higher score? Where is Bioshock highest rated game this year?

OP FAILED !!!!

#3 Edited by TheGuardian03 (21434 posts) -

Limited characters interactivity? what do you mean? explain yourself.

#4 Edited by NathanDrakeSwag (5127 posts) -

TLOU over GTA 5 by a hair. LOL at Zelda.

#5 Edited by Liquid_ (2363 posts) -

i knew GTA V wouldn't win goty.

watch dogs would have won it with tlou coming in 2nd...I guess it can claim 2014's title

#6 Edited by cainetao11 (16598 posts) -

GTA5. This is the King of modern gaming imo. And 5 showed why, once again.

#7 Edited by drekula2 (1898 posts) -

@Liquid_ said:

watch dogs would have won it with tlou coming in 2nd...I guess it can claim 2014's title

well, watch dogs was delayed for the fact that it wasn't ready to win.

Limited characters interactivity? what do you mean? explain yourself.

that the game only lets you interact with it's world freely when you're holding a gun, but you have little say when it comes to talking to the characters. sometimes you can press button prompts, but otherwise nothing. mass-effect-like dialogue would've been nice. not necessary, but would've helped.

This is too unfair poll when you diden´t add PC games that had so much better games.

Why Zelda is there when Mario got higher score? Where is Bioshock highest rated game this year?

OP FAILED !!!!

mario zelda and bioshock got the same score on GS. and none of the three are highest rated on MC either.

also gone home had an underdeveloped story and stanley parable lacked in replay value. what pc titles are you talking about?

The Last of Us but Zelda is the best franchise.

agree

#8 Edited by jg4xchamp (47070 posts) -

The Last of Us. I enjoyed the gameplay, and the overall pacing from Bill's Town forward is borderline fantastic. GTA 5 simply isn't as enjoyable to play, and Zelda is good, but it's also more Zelda. Also really easy/simple puzzle designs, and shallow boss fights. As far as puzzle games were concerned I played better this year.

#9 Posted by SirSlimyScott (266 posts) -

TLOU, I got bored with GTA 5 after I heard the N word for the 50th time.

#10 Posted by Suppaman100 (3711 posts) -

TLOU of course.

Although Zelda comes very close. And it's the sequel to the best Zelda game, ALTTP.

#11 Posted by farrell2k (5715 posts) -

Zelda, no contest. Zelda was a real game. TLOU was a 10 hour interactive movie. GTAV is just wasting time slapping around hookers.

#12 Posted by ShepardCommandr (2293 posts) -

GTA V wins no contest

#13 Posted by g0ddyX (3889 posts) -

You forgot Bioshock, AC4 and Tomb Raider.

#14 Edited by drekula2 (1898 posts) -

looks like the gun-lovers decided on tlou and the cartoony lovers decided on zelda. and poor gta v is like :(

---

also, didnt forget bioshock. its a very good game, but it still feels like a standard FPS.

#15 Posted by vitonemesis (3139 posts) -

Easily The Last of Us. It's not even a contest.

#16 Posted by Netret0120 (2000 posts) -

TLOU

GTAV

Zelda

in order

#17 Edited by wasted_wlsdom (147 posts) -

the flops of us!!

#18 Posted by foxhound_fox (87372 posts) -

ALBW won Gamespot's GOTY. Merely by being an excellent game that shows what good game design is all about. Not production values, not marketing campaigns, not even fancy graphics. Just solid gameplay and great design.

#19 Edited by Pikminmaniac (8703 posts) -

I cannot comment on TLOU or GTAV because I haven't played them, but I will say that I enjoyed A Link Between Worlds because it followed my favourite formula for a single player game. It has that perfect balance between open ended and meticulous design. You have a lot of freedom at the same time that there is a lot of specific and brilliantly constructed elements. I call it the Super Metroid effect.

P.S. I wonder who actually played all three before mindlessly shouting "TLOU no contest" or some such nonsense.

#20 Edited by 001011000101101 (3949 posts) -

lol at how only 10 % voted for GTA V. This place if filled with hipsters and people with shit taste in games apparently.

#21 Posted by AmayaPapaya (9011 posts) -

I have played all three and enjoyed all of them. They are all really different, to be honest. I'll go with Last of Us, though. Super fun gameplay and super great story.

#22 Edited by Silenthps (7274 posts) -

Haven't Played GTA5 yet cuz no PC version but.... Zelda > TLOU

#23 Posted by madsnakehhh (14071 posts) -

I have to go with The Legend of Zelda, but The Last of Us was pretty damn good too, however you can't beat a ell designed game, sure, The Last of Us is an incredible experience on it's own but it has some gameplay problems, it is a great story with memorable characters, but i think that as a Video Game in it's purest form, ALBW beats it.

#24 Posted by Basinboy (10985 posts) -

TLOU. It excels in aspects games typically neglect.

#25 Edited by Liquid_ (2363 posts) -

@drekula2 said:

@Liquid_ said:

well, watch dogs was delayed for the fact that it wasn't ready to win.

Pure fanboy speculation.

don't be upset your precious GTA V lost by miles to The last of us and Zelda

#26 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (5653 posts) -

Last of Us for sure.

#27 Posted by sukraj (21902 posts) -

GTA V fo sure

#28 Posted by charizard1605 (55546 posts) -

Personally, Zelda is my favorite game of the year due to its emphasis on what I feel are the most important aspects of game design- interactivity, player agency, and level design. This, coupled with its technical accomplishments (60 FPS gameplay with stereoscopic 3D enabled), its incredible soundtrack, its great story that adds to the Zelda lore, and its general freshening up of the Zelda formula, make it greatly appeal to me.

Having said all of this, though, I want to point out that all three of the games in the OP are, from what I gather, great games, and which one you ultimately like depends entirely on what you look for from your games.

#29 Edited by MonsieurX (29234 posts) -

lol more DC

#30 Posted by Zen_Light (1231 posts) -

lol at how only 10 % voted for GTA V. This place if filled with hipsters and people with shit taste in games apparently.

The game sucks and people know it. Deal with it scrub.

#31 Edited by 001011000101101 (3949 posts) -

@001011000101101 said:

The game sucks and people know it. Deal with it scrub.

I have no problem dealing with the fact that most gamers have bad taste in everything. It's still funny though.

#32 Edited by lamprey263 (22810 posts) -

GTA V got strippers so it wins!

#33 Posted by MirkoS77 (7015 posts) -

P.S. I wonder who actually played all three before mindlessly shouting "TLOU no contest" or some such nonsense.

Have you yet played it? IIRC, you posted a bit back that you've yet to.....

Speaking of TLoU TC, "uncanny valley" as a con? What the hell are you talking about? Do you know what uncanny valley is? The facial animations are top tier and in no way betray the fact that the actors are digitally created.

#34 Edited by Pikminmaniac (8703 posts) -

@MirkoS77 said:

@Pikminmaniac said:

Speaking of TLoU TC, "uncanny valley" as a con? What the hell are you talking about? Do you know what uncanny valley is? The facial animations are top tier and in no way betray the fact that the actors are digitally created.

You do recall correctly. I haven't played TLOU or GTAV for that matter. I haven't mindlessly shouted that the one game I DID play is better than those two either. That's what I suspect a few have done here.

#35 Posted by xLittlekillx (1803 posts) -

I couldn't even be bothered to pick The Last of Us up again to finish it. The gameplay is just so meh.

GTA V is easily one of the best games I've ever played. I just love the open world. Zelda is amazing too. I'd have to say it's a tie between those two.

#36 Posted by Eddie-Vedder (7776 posts) -

LOL @ Zelda, TLoU > Bioshock Infitine > GTA 5

#37 Posted by GhoX (4679 posts) -

I couldn't even be bothered to pick The Last of Us up again to finish it. The gameplay is just so meh.

GTA V is easily one of the best games I've ever played. I just love the open world. Zelda is amazing too. I'd have to say it's a tie between those two.

Agreed. The Last of Us strongly encourages stealth, but the stealth mechanics are worse than games dedicated to stealth like Hitman Absolution. While AI may be interesting in a gunfight, the AI tend to be downright retarded during stealth before detection. The stealth gameplay is basically playing fetch with doggies. They'll charge off fetching your brick/bottle even if you throw it from a cover right in front of their face, leaving their back open. In Absolution the enemy will simply ignore the sound and start shooting at the thrower, as a non-retarded person would do.

The game is anything but realistic. It's full of immersion-breaking flaws like invisible friendly AI, inventory system or the extremely limited crafting system. Naughty Dogs created a somewhat interesting story, that's plagued by average gameplay, and failed miserably at creating anything that's even resembling a zombie survival experience.

#38 Posted by drekula2 (1898 posts) -

@MirkoS77 said:

@Pikminmaniac said:

I played all three. I'm saying TLOU, but it is a tight contest.

Yes, I know what uncanny valley is. The facial animations in the game are excellent. The uncanny valley applies moreso to the environments. There are some areas that looks excellent (such as the giraffe scene or the sunset) and other areas that look dull to fit the gritty horror realism. 5 years from now, TLOU won't age so nicely visually.

#39 Edited by Big_Pecks (5234 posts) -

The Last of Us appeals to me the most and it struck me the hardest.

#40 Posted by RogueStatus28 (513 posts) -

The Last of Us focussed too much on visuals and impressive set pieces to make gamers overlook the gameplay.

Zelda's core was gameplay and reminded us about how gaming used to be.

#41 Posted by MirkoS77 (7015 posts) -

@GhoX said:

@xLittlekillx said:

Agreed. The Last of Us strongly encourages stealth, but the stealth mechanics are worse than games dedicated to stealth like Hitman Absolution. While AI may be interesting in a gunfight, the AI tend to be downright retarded during stealth before detection. The stealth gameplay is basically playing fetch with doggies. They'll charge off fetching your brick/bottle even if you throw it from a cover right in front of their face, leaving their back open. In Absolution the enemy will simply ignore the sound and start shooting at the thrower, as a non-retarded person would do.

The game is anything but realistic. It's full of immersion-breaking flaws like invisible friendly AI, inventory system or the extremely limited crafting system. Naughty Dogs created a somewhat interesting story, that's plagued by average gameplay, and failed miserably at creating anything that's even resembling a zombie survival experience.

What? How would someone in the real world start shooting at a location that gives no indication of the source of the sound 10 feet away? The same thing would happen in real life.....people would go investigate the location of what they've heard, as they'd have no other information as to an indication of where it originated from. Perhaps more suspiciously, but nevertheless it's where they'd go. That's not unrealistic, it's realistic, unless the thrower of the object was spotted during/before the throw. Hitman is the one that unrealistic in such a context, not TLoU.

The game is quite plausible in its stealth segments with humans. I'll grant you the invisible friendly AI retardedly running circles around enemies, but making them invisible until Joel was discovered was a deliberate design decision made by ND to decrease frustration and eradicate an otherwise game-breaking flaw (and as AI is never perfect, this was the right choice). And what's wrong with the crafting system exactly?

They didn't "fail miserably", they achieved impressively. It's an amazing survival experience which I'd say is hampered most of all by questionable AI, and the consequence of that is mostly immersion breaking at worst.

#42 Edited by Samus3D (1675 posts) -

From most fans I've been hearing A Link Between Worlds is their favorite Zelda either since Ocarina or ALTTP, if it's not already their favorite Zelda of all time. We all know the levels of quality each Zelda brings, so that's an pretty big feat.

#43 Edited by StrongDeadlift (5140 posts) -

@MirkoS77 said:

@Pikminmaniac said:

i agree with you about TLOU, but the Uncharted series definately suffers from this. Those games are filled with awkward, unnatural looking characters.

#44 Posted by blamix99 (1622 posts) -

love them all.. not finished with zelda yet. just got it yesterday

#45 Posted by CTR360 (6946 posts) -

last of us and GTA V for me

#46 Posted by GhoX (4679 posts) -

@MirkoS77: Do you want me to post a video of me throwing a bottle out from a cover that's right in front of someone in their view, and they turn 180 degrees to chase the bottle instead of shoot the arm that they clearly saw? What I meant was precisely that the thrower should be spotted during the throw, or rather the enemy should have clearly seen the bottle coming out of this cover that's right in front of their eyes and suspect that whoever threw the bottle is more threatening than the bottle itself. I realise that the invisible AI is a needed design to make the stealth work alongside an AI companion. However, that is just a poor excuse. Naughty Dogs should have realised during the initial planning just how difficult it is to incorporate non-messy friendly AI in a stealth game, but decided to go ahead anyway and take the easy way out. The reason is irrelevant, what's relevant is that the mechanic broke immersion.

It failed on many aspects a survival game requires. The crafting system is in shambles - it's incredibly unrealistic that you can craft medicine that magically heals bullet wounds in seconds from dirty cloth and alcohol, or that you can construct a shank from bottles of nails and tape and so on. There are only 6 items you can craft, how can you even call that a system? A true survival game prioritises realism above all else, and DayZ is probably the only zombie survival game that's doing a reasonably good job. Let's do a simple comparison between a true survival game and a linear story game that is anything but survival.

The Last of UsDayZ
Health SystemBasic non-regen health blocks. Bullet wounds can be healed by magical first aid kits.Blood quantity; at low level player will fade out once in awhile. Can only be replenished by blood transfusion administered by another player (100%), or eating food (very small amount, 2-5%).
Survival ElementsNone is present.Hunger, thirst, temperature (can catch a cold and more likely to be infected when cold), pain, bleeding, broken limbs, concussions, etc. all there.
Inventory SystemAble to carry 8 weapons on your body, including 3 heavy weapons without being crushed to death or ripping that tiny bag apart. Player can only carry limited amount of ammo of each type for whatever reason.Very realistic inventory system. Aside from the weapons on your back and hand, there is usually only room for one extra rifle even in a large bag. At the same time that will sacrifice space for food, water, ammo or medical supplies. You can choose to take whatever you want, as long as you have the room. Need to fix a car? Enjoy seeing your entire inventory swallowed by a tire.
Delivery Style

Linear game focused on story. Very limited "hub-style" exploration. Usually the game progresses the story, then allow you to explore a few rooms, before throwing you back into combat again.

Time and weather are purely reliant on progression of story.

Complete freedom. You can travel anywhere you want, do whatever you want, try survive in the woods and starve to death because you are too newb to hunt, or charge onto a metro main road and get sniped by bandit player before zombies even get to call first dip.

Day/night/weather all present and will have a significant effect on visibility and player's temperature. At night it will literally be pitch black, and unless you have night-vision goggles you wouldn't want to travel. Using a flashlight will light you up like a light bulb in the middle of the night for both zombies and bandits.

Loot System

Enemies drop really random loot. A shotgun enemy may drop no ammo at all even though he didn't get to fire a single shot. A melee charger may drop rifle ammo for whatever reason, etc.

Further, loot is heavily generalised into categories - parts, metal, tape, cloth, alcohol, gun powder and sugar.

When you loot another player, everything they have will be on the body. You can strip their armor, swap their bag or even dig through their empty bean cans. The same goes for you though, so watch out for bandits. Zombies don't wield weapons, but depending on their type they may drop loot that's reasonable for them. E.g. civilian zombies rarely drop anything, but military zombies may drop some ammo.

Loot can be extremely specific, and different locations tend to offer different loot. E.g. army camps tend to have more advanced weapon/ammo. You can find tires, wind glasses, gas, engine to fix a car and get it running. You can also find helicopter parts and get a chopper running. You can set up defensive sandbags, fences with the right items and tools. You can start fires with matches and wood, which can be harvested with an axe. There is all sorts of medicine, such as pain killers for treating pain, bandages for stopping bleeding, Morphine for dealing with broken limbs, EpiPen for reviving another unconscious player, blood bags, etc.

TLDR: The Last of Us is not a survival game. It cannot even be compared against a real survival game. It's clearly just a third-person shooter with stealth elements similar to the Uncharted series. It has the theme of a zombie apocalypse, and tried to take a baby step away from the full unrealism that is Left 4 Dead, but it is miles away from delivering anything even resembling a survival experience.

#47 Edited by Pffrbt (6473 posts) -

Zelda. GTAV is extremely mediocre and monotonous and TLOU is terrible and not fun at all.

#48 Edited by MirkoS77 (7015 posts) -

@GhoX: Firstly, the cover issue was a misinterpretation on my part as I read it as, "when an object is thrown from behind cover" so I assumed you implied they didn't see you or the object being thrown....only hearing it. It's a misread and a point I won't pursue further as I basically agree. I won't argue that the AI is TLoU's forte.

Thanks for the elaboration on the differences found between DayZ and TLoU; of these I am well aware but this does nothing to change the fact that TLoU is still a survival game. It's just on a much more casual scale. If we're using that mod as a standard for realism and the ultimate definition of what determines one, then what other product can qualify as such? Nothing on the market compares.

No game needs to be ARMA level realistic to fit in the survival genre. Do you assert that Mario Kart is not a racing game because its physics and car modelling are so unrealistic compared to iRacing? I don't deny that TLoU has many aspects that take great liberties but the gameplay nevertheless revolves around elements conducive to surviving, and the success of playing and completing it (scavenging, resource management, frugality, discretion for confrontations and the strategy implemented in executing them) are all present. This is what defines survival, not degrees. On the highest difficulties all of these considerations need to be taken into account. Many of the sections can be bypassed by stealth (and on survivor, HAVE to be) and there are only a few sections where confrontation is needed.

Also, to say it's just a "TPS with stealth elements" is absurd. If that were the case the crafting system wouldn't exist at all and looking for parts for it wouldn't be required, the amount of ammo wouldn't need to be worried about, you wouldn't need to create/take the time to use healing kits as there'd be health regen or paks throughout the environments, there'd be no pills to collect for stat improvements, and getting shot wouldn't have more penalties than the screen turning red.

C'mon now. At this point your heavy bias against this game is becoming very apparent.

ARMA is a military simulator and I'd be hard-pressed to even call it a game at all. Why are you comparing a console game to a simulator and then laying faults of the former based upon the standards of the latter? Even when not held up to DayZ's degree of realism, TLoU still very much fits into the survival genre.

#49 Posted by 001011000101101 (3949 posts) -

@Pffrbt said:

Zelda. GTAV is extremely mediocre and monotonous and TLOU is terrible and not fun at all.

If you find GTA V monotonous you're playing it wrong.

#50 Posted by drekula2 (1898 posts) -

@MirkoS77 said:

@Pikminmaniac said:

i agree with you about TLOU, but the Uncharted series definately suffers from this. Those games are filled with awkward, unnatural looking characters.

I guess Uncharted gets a pass because it's supposed to be cartoony. That and it has enough of a color pallet.

Look at Grand Theft Auto IV vs. Super Mario Galaxy (which has aged better visually).