TLOU Remastered Review Thread: 8/10 Gamespot

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#151 Edited by Krelian-co (13274 posts) -

@amazonangry said:

@lostrib: I believe Joel actually admits to doing shady work at some point, similar to the hunters they run into in Pittsburgh)

If you're talking about after society collapsed, then yes.

McShea came to the conclusion, in the beginning of the game when Joel came home to his daughter late at night, that he had been out doing shady work...when you clearly heard him on the phone talking to his brother about construction.

Only a McShea would come to such a knuckle headed conclusion.

Mcshea fails at gaming, he doesn't even understands games, in skyward sword he gave it a lower score because he couldn't figure out the controls, and if he can't even understand something so blatantly obvious as the fact that Joel works in construction at the beginning, well what can you expect, he is a joke. "oh no he came late from work, must be doing something shady!" (does he have a 12 yo mentality?) Because no one ever comes late from work, has McShea ever worked in anything other than writing bad reviews?

#152 Posted by sts106mat (22339 posts) -

@Gue1 said:

@StrifeDelivery said:

Regardless of the score given, I skimmed through the review and found this paragraph. Sometimes I just don't understand reviewers...

"Still, if you think too carefully about the importance the story places on the connection between these two characters, things start to fall apart a bit. Because The Last of Us is an action game that adheres to the established template of the genre, over the course of your journey you murder not just one or five or 12 people, but dozens and dozens of them, and it's questionable whether a man who treats the lives of so many of his fellow human beings as so disposable would really be capable of placing any meaningful importance on the life of one particular individual. You can't soil your hands with the blood of hundreds and still have room for love in your heart."

I guess in order to save someone, or care for another individual, you have to be a saint?

perfect example about an opinion that is wrong. And they get paid to write this kind of nonsense.

Gaming media/journalism is a joke.

exactly "gaming journalism" is a joke, they are not jouranlists, journalists report the news and write about it. these reviewers are wannabe journalists...writing about the moralities, impact and cultural importance of videogames? **** off...its a damn video game...shut the **** about morals and tell me is it worth playing or not.

#153 Posted by cainetao11 (24368 posts) -

@Gue1: perfect example about an opinion that is wrong. And they get paid to write this kind of nonsense.

Talk about writing nonsense. So my friend Brandon didn't go into intensive in patient because he choked his daughter and suffered severe ptsd after 3 tours in Afghanistan? Killing many people doesn't have an effect on the human psyche? There is plenty of psychological evidence to back it up.

#154 Posted by cainetao11 (24368 posts) -

@StrifeDelivery: no need to apologies to me. I think its plainly obvious she is saying killing massive amounts of people has an effect on the psyche. Soldiers do it for self defense of themselves and comrades but it affects them. Would it effect Joel? I don't know, he's not even real.

#155 Edited by Krelian-co (13274 posts) -

@cainetao11 said:

@Gue1: perfect example about an opinion that is wrong. And they get paid to write this kind of nonsense.

Talk about writing nonsense. So my friend Brandon didn't go into intensive in patient because he choked his daughter and suffered severe ptsd after 3 tours in Afghanistan? Killing many people doesn't have an effect on the human psyche? There is plenty of psychological evidence to back it up.

Well to be fair we are talking about one of the worst reviewers out there, the kind that lets their political agenda show in reviews, as shown by giving gone home a 9.5 for having a lesbo love story, and criticizing gta v for "portraying woman badly" when the game is basically a parody of every single stereotype and they basically portray the flaws of everything.

#156 Edited by kingtito (6687 posts) -

Cows still crying about an opinion I see. This is why you're still the jokes of SW.

Not sure why cows think a remaster of a game that plays exactly the same deserves a higher score. Reviews are nothing more than personal opinion and no amount of whining is going to change that. Hate to break it to you cows but not everyone is going to agree with what you like or don't like. This includes reviews of TLOU even if a majority of other reviewers gave it a higher score. Their reviews aren't any more credible than that of GSs just because they happen to agree with what you think.

Your crying is entertaining so by all means continue to be the jokes that you are.

#157 Posted by Chutebox (40186 posts) -

@kingtito said:

Cows still crying about an opinion I see. This is why you're still the jokes of SW.

Not sure why cows think a remaster of a game that plays exactly the same deserves a higher score. Reviews are nothing more than personal opinion and no amount of whining is going to change that. Hate to break it to you cows but not everyone is going to agree with what you like or don't like. This includes reviews of TLOU even if a majority of other reviewers gave it a higher score. Their reviews aren't any more credible than that of GSs just because they happen to agree with what you think.

Your crying is entertaining so by all means continue to be the jokes that you are.

You cry about other peoples' opinions every single day here.

But yes, time to move on.

#158 Edited by StrifeDelivery (1887 posts) -

@cainetao11 said:

@StrifeDelivery: no need to apologies to me. I think its plainly obvious she is saying killing massive amounts of people has an effect on the psyche. Soldiers do it for self defense of themselves and comrades but it affects them. Would it effect Joel? I don't know, he's not even real.

No... still no I'm afraid. Here is a quote from her review: "You can't soil your hands with the blood of hundreds and still have room for love in your heart." She views Joel as a psychopath, not as a guy who has been through a arduous ordeal. By using your soldier example, she's saying that since you've killed hundreds, you can't love your family back home. There is a difference between viewing a guy as a psychopath who goes on a killing spree (what Carolyn has stated) vs. your soldier example, fighting back the enemy and having it slowly affect your mental condition.

#159 Posted by Seabas989 (12159 posts) -

Meh I already played it. The only game this year that could convince me to buy a PS4 is Destiny.

lol at Cows.

#160 Posted by ShepardCommandr (3774 posts) -

Even an 8 is too high.

The only game of this gen that deserves a 10 is GTA V.

#161 Edited by I_can_haz (6511 posts) -

I can't believe the butthurt this game is still causing for lems a year later....

#162 Posted by Suppaman100 (5250 posts) -

Strong joke review. No wonder GS popularity is declining.

Anyway, TLOU is still the best game of last gen.

#163 Edited by uninspiredcup (17313 posts) -

Very excellent good great score for a above average game (that's not as good as Halflife 2).

#164 Posted by Suppaman100 (5250 posts) -

@Krelian-co said:

@cainetao11 said:

Well to be fair we are talking about one of the worst reviewers out there, the kind that lets their political agenda show in reviews, as shown by giving gone home a 9.5 for having a lesbo love story, and criticizing gta v for "portraying woman badly" when the game is basically a parody of every single stereotype and they basically portray the flaws of everything.

This

/thread

#165 Edited by uninspiredcup (17313 posts) -

@Suppaman100 said:

@Krelian-co said:

@cainetao11 said:

This

/thread

But she also mentioned the game-play was bad.

#166 Posted by MBirdy88 (10258 posts) -

@Suppaman100 said:

10 hour mediocre gameplayed zombie TPS with shiny custcenes was your game of the generation? ... how boring.

#167 Posted by cainetao11 (24368 posts) -

@Krelian-co said:

@cainetao11 said:

I understand. I am not agreeing with her take on Joel as he isnt real so there really is no take imo. But her point of killing many people having an effect on a person has been shown to have merit. Applying it to a fictional character is a stretch. As I said before, entertainment always enlists an imagination of fantasy.

#168 Edited by Suppaman100 (5250 posts) -

@MBirdy88 said:

@Suppaman100 said:

10 hour mediocre gameplayed zombie TPS with shiny custcenes was your game of the generation? ... how boring.

Oh please do inform us on what your game of the gen was.

Did it also win 200+ GOTY awards?

#169 Posted by MBirdy88 (10258 posts) -

@Suppaman100 said:

@MBirdy88 said:

@Suppaman100 said:

I played many many games last gen.... many that lasted for longer, and actually accelerated in gameplay in their genres...

Does it hurt you, that those 200+ awards mean next to nothing? Minecraft.... is a far bigger deal than TLOU .... I bet that has to sting.

#170 Edited by cainetao11 (24368 posts) -

@StrifeDelivery said:

@cainetao11 said:

No... still no I'm afraid. Here is a quote from her review: "You can't soil your hands with the blood of hundreds and still have room for love in your heart." She views Joel as a psychopath, not as a guy who has been through a arduous ordeal. By using your soldier example, she's saying that since you've killed hundreds, you can't love your family back home. There is a difference between viewing a guy as a psychopath who goes on a killing spree (what Carolyn has stated) vs. your soldier example, fighting back the enemy and having it slowly affect your mental condition.

I never saw the alluding to Joel being a psychopath in her review. And I dont know one vet who has killed hundreds. As I replied to others, I dont agree with her take on Joel as he isnt real. But her point about massive killing having a detaching affect has been proven.

#171 Posted by uninspiredcup (17313 posts) -

@Suppaman100 said:

@MBirdy88 said:

@Suppaman100 said:

Even looking at console games (ignoring superior pc games such as Shogun 2). Darksouls, because, it's actually a game. And thus, wins.

#172 Edited by TheEroica (15874 posts) -

Not interested till it gets a drop or a possible trade in deal. Great game, almost as good as the best game on the ps4, also releasing tomorrow.

#173 Posted by MonsieurX (34318 posts) -

@TheEroica said:

Not interested till it gets a drop or a possible trade in deal. Great game, almost as good as the best game on the ps4, also releasing tomorrow.

Gamestop has a trade in deal.

#175 Posted by TheEroica (15874 posts) -

@MonsieurX said:

@TheEroica said:

ah wonderful... ill take a look! thanks brah.

#176 Posted by MonsieurX (34318 posts) -
@TheEroica said:

@MonsieurX said:

@TheEroica said:

ah wonderful... ill take a look! thanks brah.

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2014/07/23/trade-your-ps3-version-of-the-last-of-us-in-at-gamestop-get-remastered-for-half-off/

#177 Edited by AM-Gamer (7572 posts) -

I think it's funny people keep ripping igns review when it's far closer to the MC average then gamespot. The reviewer gives the game loads of praise with no justification to why it's an 8. They took what was generally considered the best third person shooter of all time and gave it the same score as a yearly COD rehash.

This is also the same website that gave AC:BF a 9 and Journey GOTY. So I stopped taking GS seriously years ago.

#178 Posted by DEadliNE-Zero0 (6419 posts) -
@Suppaman100 said:

Yet, GTA 4, gta 5, SMG2, Uncharted 2, Batman Arkham City, Skyrim, Bioshock all scored higher on MC than TLOU, but got less awards. If i'm not mistaken that is.

So first, you where going all out of scores and MC about a year ago, but now it's all about GOTY and awards.

#179 Posted by kingtito (6687 posts) -

@Chutebox said:

@kingtito said:

You cry about lems putting down cows every day kid. Perhaps you should move on cow.

#180 Posted by handssss (1903 posts) -

@MBirdy88 said:

@Suppaman100 said:

12+ hour superb game mostly about human conflict with good cutscenes, gameplay, AND multiplayer may not have been mine, but it easily ranks among the top contenders.

#181 Posted by MBirdy88 (10258 posts) -

@handssss said:

@MBirdy88 said:

@Suppaman100 said:

12+ hour superb game mostly about human conflict with good cutscenes, gameplay, AND multiplayer may not have been mine, but it easily ranks among the top contenders.

I think good gameplay and multiplayer is pushing your luck, but whatever floats your boat. 12 hours.... counting DLC I suppose?

I understand short experiences can be great.... but being anyones best game over 8-10 years... I highly doubt it, more like a System Wars "Saving Face" mentality that it HAS to be THAT important... when in reality they probably spent 1000 hours in CoD, LoL, DoTA or insert [other games here which they clearly enjoyed for a lot longer over years].

Either way, can't be proven.... but I bet most people here who specifically are cows, would not admit to say liking Minecraft more than TLOU... simple BECAUSE SYSTEM WARS.

#182 Posted by Chutebox (40186 posts) -

@kingtito said:

@Chutebox said:

@kingtito said:

You cry about lems putting down cows every day kid. Perhaps you should move on cow.

I couldn't care less about lems putting down anyone, or cows blah blah. Kid. Grow a pair, already.

#183 Posted by cainetao11 (24368 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

@cainetao11 said:

@Desmonic: Nope. If your opinion is based on incorrect information, then your opinion is wrong by default :P Example: Not believing the damn moon exists because the Bible doesn't mention it. Alas, not the point.

They can, when they write X and don't give the corresponding X number from the scale, picking Y or fucking Σ instead. >.>

---------------

Nope. Comparison doesn't work because the moon can be proven to exist simply by looking in the sky. Therefore its ignorance you are correcting. Nobody is ignorant for their opinion of subjective entertainment.

Nope, it works just fine (also you should watch the video for the epic display of stupidity).

If your opinion is based on/influenced by something that isn't true (ie: the moon isn't real; game mechanic is broken (when you're just using wrong or not at all); character is good/bad (when he/she is show as the respective opposite); lack of customization (when you just don't bother using it) ) then, by default it will be wrong, least when it comes to those specific issues.

The "no opinion can be wrong" isn't always a tautology regardless of circumstance. It requires an objective valid/correct view of the respective theme being discussed. While liking or not a game/piece of media is always subjective and anyone is more than free to adore or hate everything, it's still more than possible to have a wrong "objective analysis" of why said game is or isn't good.

Anyway, I further explained my point some posts down, so you can read that. No need to continue to further derail this :P

Disagree. Because I can play the game and she cant doesnt mean her opinion of the mechanics is wrong. My opinion of Basketball is its a boring sport, and you get to go to the foul line for touching someone. Now Lebron James would probably differ and maybe because he enjoys and can excel at the game. I think the basic mechanics of the sport are boring. I am not wrong for it.

Who is the decider of this valid/correct view? Who has the authority to make this rule? Dont answer me if you dont want it derailed.

#184 Edited by Gue1 (12171 posts) -

@cainetao11 said:

*********Some spoilers below so read at your own risk.*******

it's not the same. When you go to war they convince you with the fad that you're protecting your family and country when the reality is a much different one. When you're a soldier you're nothing but a peon in a conflict between higher powers, aka, governments. They are probably fighting because of some religion, some piece of land or some other pointless shit.

Read some stuff about WWI and WWII, soldiers there killed children, women and a bunch of other innocent people (all of them, Americans, Germans, Japanese, etc.). Soldiers often are ordered to kill people that they don't have to kill nor want to either.

In the case of The Last of Us this is a much different world. That world changed Joel so much that even his brother is afraid of him. But Joel is actually very selfish. He only cares about Ellie and no one else. She's his only reason to live because she's literally a replacement to his deceased daughter. If you played the game till the end you know Joel is sick in the head. He blocks all emotions, he forgot about Tess the instant she was killed.

#185 Edited by Shinobishyguy (22884 posts) -

Were cows really expecting a 9 or 10 for a game that's over a year old?

#186 Edited by I_can_haz (6511 posts) -

@MBirdy88 said:

@Suppaman100 said:

@MBirdy88 said:

@Suppaman100 said:

I played many many games last gen.... many that lasted for longer, and actually accelerated in gameplay in their genres...

Does it hurt you, that those 200+ awards mean next to nothing? Minecraft.... is a far bigger deal than TLOU .... I bet that has to sting.

LOL Minecraft. Using a multiplat indie game as some kind of ownage when it isn't. The only person I see crying in this thread is you and your fellow lems.

240+ GOTY awards and it is a Sony exclusive too, that has to hurt. When was the last time your FlopBox got an exclusive GOTY? You should also change that shitty avatar, it's dated. We have all seen Titanflop and how it failed to move Xflop units past PS4.

#187 Posted by sibu_xgamer (340 posts) -

It's embarrasing for lems that a rehashed game from last gen is still better than all their xbone library put together. TLHBO is an universal constant nowadays.

#188 Posted by cainetao11 (24368 posts) -

@Gue1 said:

@cainetao11 said:

*********Some spoilers below so read at your own risk.*******

it's not the same. When you go to war they convince you with the fad that you're protecting your family and country when the reality is a much different one. When you're a soldier you're nothing but a peon in a conflict between higher powers, aka, governments. They are probably fighting because of some religion, some piece of land or some other pointless shit.

Read some stuff about WWI and WWII, and soldiers there killed children, women and a bunch of other innocent people. Soldiers often are ordered to kill people that they don't have to kill nor want to either.

In the case of The Last of Us this is a much different world. That world changed Joel so much that even his brother is afraid of him. But Joel is actually very selfish. He only cares about Ellie and no one else. She's his only reason to live because she's literally a replacement of his daughter. If you played the game till the end you know Joel is pretty sick in the head. He blocks all emotions, he forgot about Tess the instant she was killed.

What war did you serve in? I am a US Army vet. Dont tell me what I was told. In the case of TLOU it isnt real. None of it. Thats why I dont agree with her assessment of Joel because his mind doesnt exist so its pointless to try to analyze it. But killing massive amounts of people does have a detaching affect on the human psyche for many.

#189 Posted by Ballroompirate (25085 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@StrifeDelivery said:

@lostrib said:

@StrifeDelivery said:

In the original TLOU review, didn't McShea believe that Joel was doing shady work before the apocalypse occurred, simply because he said he had some jobs lined up? Now, we have Carolyn who believes that if you kill people in order to save someone, or in general to protect them, that that is not compatible. I guess we have to exclude a good number of action games and movies now because the main character goes through the movements to save someone near the end?

I believe Joel actually admits to doing shady work at some point, similar to the hunters they run into in Pittsburgh

That is during the 20 year time period from when the outbreak occurs to the present day (old Joel). I was referring to when he got the call right before the outbreak, when he was walking around his living room on the phone. He says he has some jobs lined up; to me, I believed him to be a contractor of some sorts, not some sketchy hitman or body disposal man as McShea wanted us to believe.

Yeah, he works construction

"Joel worked in construction, possibly as a carpenter. In the prologue, during a phone conversation with Tommy, he mentions desperately needing to keep his job with a contractor" (from TLOU wiki)

Or you can look at his truck in the opening (when they leave the house) to see he has a personal contractor truck

#190 Posted by ominous_titan (964 posts) -

I never finished Tlou on ps3 due to lack of time and then I bought a ps4 and my ps3 is now my Netflix machine in my bedroom. When I was playing it I never played any multi player, is it good or more of a slapped on feature? Probably going to buy it anyways thanks to the drought

#191 Posted by MonsieurX (34318 posts) -

@I_can_haz said:

@MBirdy88 said:

@Suppaman100 said:

@MBirdy88 said:

@Suppaman100 said:

LOL Minecraft. Using a multiplat indie game as some kind of ownage when it isn't. The only person I see crying in this thread is you and your fellow lems.

240+ GOTY awards and it is a Sony exclusive too, that has to hurt. When was the last time your FlopBox got an exclusive GOTY? You should also change that shitty avatar, it's dated. We have all seen Titanflop and how it failed to move Xflop units past PS4.

Not sure how Titanfall is a flop exactly,as opposed to TLOU

#192 Posted by PannicAtack (21040 posts) -

Why does it warrant a re-review? It's the same damn game that came out last year.

#194 Posted by kingtito (6687 posts) -

@Chutebox said:

@kingtito said:

@Chutebox said:

@kingtito said:

I couldn't care less about lems putting down anyone, or cows blah blah. Kid. Grow a pair, already.

Sure kid, keep telling yourself that.

#195 Posted by MonsieurX (34318 posts) -

@scottpsfan14 said:

Monsieur strikes again with his uselessness I see.

Srsly, leave people alone with your pointless posts.

Flagged.

Oh noes,I'm flagged while you created a quote with 4 or more,which itself should be flagged!

But following the SW metagame rules,Titanfall didn't flop,TLOU did. Quit crying

#196 Edited by MBirdy88 (10258 posts) -

@MBirdy88 said:

And indie game that people play for 1000s of hours, is probably going to be the most played game of all time eventually.... and has influenced an array of new games ... what did TLOU do? "oh we are practyically just a next gen RE4 .... than you will shelve after 10 hours".

oh you poor poor cow, I'm PS4/PSV/PC/WII-U .... shove your insecurity where the sun don't shine ;)

got to justify that game with awards so much? I suppose if I was tied to a sony console which only has a handful of good games a year I would be grasping too... but alas... I'm not.

deal with it I_Can_Haz .... I would take 10 minecrafts alone, let alone the slew of other amazing games over a 10 hour TPS .... which most of the good parts you could just watch on youtube.

#198 Posted by Chutebox (40186 posts) -

@kingtito said:

@Chutebox said:

@kingtito said:

@Chutebox said:

@kingtito said:

Sure kid, keep telling yourself that.

Ok kid, I will.

#199 Edited by I_can_haz (6511 posts) -
@MBirdy88 said:

@I_can_haz said:

And indie game that people play for 1000s of hours, is probably going to be the most played game of all time eventually.... and has influenced an array of new games ... what did TLOU do? "oh we are practyically just a next gen RE4 .... than you will shelve after 10 hours".

oh you poor poor cow, I'm PS4/PSV/PC/WII-U .... shove your insecurity where the sun don't shine ;)

got to justify that game with awards so much? I suppose if I was tied to a sony console which only has a handful of good games a year I would be grasping too... but alas... I'm not.

deal with it I_Can_Haz .... I would take 10 minecrafts alone, let alone the slew of other amazing games over a 10 hour TPS .... which most of the good parts you could just watch on youtube.

Looks like I struck a nerve, look at dat meltdown. Why are you showing me your PC like I give a shit lol?

"B...bu...bu....but teh Titanfall is not a flop!!!11" LOL.

That 10 hour "RE4 clone" game has more GOTY awards than any game in history and is widely considered one of the best games of last gen. Your crying and stupid ramblings won't change that. Seems like you're the one that needs to #DEALWITHIT Flopbox hasn't had a GOTY since 2006 lol.

"bu...bu....but muh Titanfall!!!!11"

#200 Posted by cainetao11 (24368 posts) -

@Suppaman100: That kid in the gif is awesome!! I cant stop laughing