TLOU Remastered Review Thread: 8/10 Gamespot

#451 Posted by commander (8262 posts) -

@bublover1 said:

@navyguy21 said:

The game is amazing so far, think im about 5hrs in. Hard to stop playing once i start up again lol.

Honestly, though, i can see why it got an 8 as opposed to 9+

The AI is the biggest issue i have, it is stupid at cheap at times which kind of takes you out of the immersion.

The AI follows you even if you move without any sound which destroys any strategy you have going into a section.

For example, when i got to a certain building (trying to avoid spoilers) i was excited because i had planned ahead and hoarded some supplies (almost died in the previous section but it paid off). So im sneaking around using my listening skill and realize that even if i moved completely quiet and stealthy.......the AI still wanders in my area and circles me. So whats the point of actually planning? Why wouldnt i just hoard weapons and go "panther" so to speak? I should be able to avoid encounters if i want, shouldnt be forced into combat. Makes investing in crafting and stealth skills kind of pointless as well. (im playing on hard btw)

Enemies aren't alerted if they see a companion AI, so you're not "forced into combat".

GTFO, you lemming trash. You probably don't even have the game.

The ai is the same as on '80's pacman

shows a lot of promise though

but that ai is just tooo.... eighties

#452 Posted by _SWAG_ (2626 posts) -

whatta joke lemspot are. they always bias against game of the year sony games all the time. this is a scandal that's why they laying off people because they bias. they need to cut off every one with m$ in they pockets so sony games can finally get a fair shake. tlou is the best remake n set the bar how u make remakes not like halo chief collection. tlou is not a flop lulz lems just jelly coz they will never have a game of the year like godstation! SWAG!!!

#453 Posted by navyguy21 (13043 posts) -

@_SWAG_ said:

whatta joke lemspot are. they always bias against game of the year sony games all the time. this is a scandal that's why they laying off people because they bias. they need to cut off every one with m$ in they pockets so sony games can finally get a fair shake. tlou is the best remake n set the bar how u make remakes not like halo chief collection. tlou is not a flop lulz lems just jelly coz they will never have a game of the year like godstation! SWAG!!!

Lol, i love you

#454 Posted by lostrib (40000 posts) -

@_SWAG_ said:

Yes, that totally explains why they gave MGS4 a 10 and UC2 a 9.5 and UC3 a 9 (both from Tom McShea), and have given GOTY awards to MGS4, Demon's Souls, and Journey. Makes perfect since.

Oh, and TLOU is a flop here.

#455 Posted by lundy86_4 (43863 posts) -

@_SWAG_ said:

I need to know who you are... You have to be the best damn fakeboy in existence, just due to how f*cking OTT you are lol.

#456 Posted by bublover1 (129 posts) -

@_SWAG_ said:

Excellent point. GS took MS's bribe money and had reviewers take off 2 pts for every PS exclusive. But GS underestimates internet users' intelligence. We see right through GS's bullshit and so GS loses traffic. With lower traffic, GS asks MS for more funding, but MS doesn't want to fund GS anymore because GS has low visitor count. In conclusion, GS is fucked.

#457 Edited by lostrib (40000 posts) -

@bublover1 said:

@_SWAG_ said:

Excellent point. GS took MS's bribe money and had reviewers take off 2 pts for every PS exclusive. But GS underestimates internet users' intelligence. We see right through GS's bullshit and so GS loses traffic. With lower traffic, GS asks MS for more funding, but MS doesn't want to fund GS anymore because GS has low visitor count. In conclusion, GS is fucked.

Yes, that totally explains why they gave MGS4 a 10 and UC2 a 9.5 and UC3 a 9 (both from Tom McShea), and have given GOTY awards to MGS4, Demon's Souls, and Journey. Makes perfect since.

#458 Edited by lundy86_4 (43863 posts) -

@bublover1 said:

Bro, lostrib just destroyed your point. lol.

#459 Posted by bublover1 (129 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@bublover1 said:

@_SWAG_ said:

MGS4 was a 12/10, UC2 was an 11.5/10 and UC3 was an 11/10. Take off 2 and you get those scores.

#460 Posted by lostrib (40000 posts) -

@bublover1 said:

@lostrib said:

@bublover1 said:

@_SWAG_ said:

MGS4 was a 12/10, UC2 was an 11.5/10 and UC3 was an 11/10. Take off 2 and you get those scores.

You're a special kind of stupid

#461 Edited by super600 (30860 posts) -

@bublover1 said:

@_SWAG_ said:

MS does not fund Gamespot at all bublover1. The reviewers that review sony exclusives on GS may have a different opinion then you.

#462 Edited by handssss (1837 posts) -

@navyguy21 said:

The game is amazing so far, think im about 5hrs in. Hard to stop playing once i start up again lol.

Honestly, though, i can see why it got an 8 as opposed to 9+

The AI is the biggest issue i have, it is stupid at cheap at times which kind of takes you out of the immersion.

The AI follows you even if you move without any sound which destroys any strategy you have going into a section.

For example, when i got to a certain building (trying to avoid spoilers) i was excited because i had planned ahead and hoarded some supplies (almost died in the previous section but it paid off). So im sneaking around using my listening skill and realize that even if i moved completely quiet and stealthy.......the AI still wanders in my area and circles me. So whats the point of actually planning? Why wouldnt i just hoard weapons and go "panther" so to speak? I should be able to avoid encounters if i want, shouldnt be forced into combat. Makes investing in crafting and stealth skills kind of pointless as well. (im playing on hard btw)

human AI patrol routine patterns and communicate with each other. Infected are different depending on what type they are. Most are predictable in their basic patterns, but you've got clickers which only hear (though if you play on higher difficulties, just crouch walking isn't enough. gotta go really slow) runners can see you. stalkers have sight as well, but they like to hide and sneak up on prey.

AI can't see flashlights and won't attack friendly AI unless you triggered them. Enemy AI WILL attack you even if you consider all of the above if you simply get too close to them and don't immediately grab them.

Now if you are getting killed because enemies wander into your area after you think you've got their patterns figured out, all I gotta say is I suggest never letting down your guard and ALWAYS try to either have a brick/bottle on standby, or look for those. throw one far, but near enough to someone so they alert the others in the area that a noise was made (so that even the ones outside of the initial noise range turn to investigate)

I'm playing on hard mode for the first time right now. Still kiddy mode compared to Survival and Grounded from what I understand, but it's still tough for me. I take my time in sections and stealth kill as much as i can. I also try to save my arrows for those instances where I absolutely need a stealth kill and cant do anything else. If I can't hit the target, I aim for something else. In either case, just hope the arrow doesn't break so I can retrieve it later.

#463 Edited by Dire_Weasel (16065 posts) -

Finally started playing this tonight, it looks mostly, really good. The biggest improvement by far is the 60fps. There are definitely some elements which indicate that this is a gen 7 brought into gen 8 but it's still a fantastic looking game.

As far as gameplay goes it's still absolutely top-tier.

#464 Posted by navyguy21 (13043 posts) -

@handssss said:

human AI patrol routine patterns and communicate with each other. Infected are different depending on what type they are. Most are predictable in their basic patterns, but you've got clickers which only hear (though if you play on higher difficulties, just crouch walking isn't enough. gotta go really slow) runners can see you. stalkers have sight as well, but they like to hide and sneak up on prey.

AI can't see flashlights and won't attack friendly AI unless you triggered them. Enemy AI WILL attack you even if you consider all of the above if you simply get too close to them and don't immediately grab them.

Now if you are getting killed because enemies wander into your area after you think you've got their patterns figured out, all I gotta say is I suggest never letting down your guard and ALWAYS try to either have a brick/bottle on standby, or look for those. throw one far, but near enough to someone so they alert the others in the area that a noise was made (so that even the ones outside of the initial noise range turn to investigate)

I'm playing on hard mode for the first time right now. Still kiddy mode compared to Survival and Grounded from what I understand, but it's still tough for me. I take my time in sections and stealth kill as much as i can. I also try to save my arrows for those instances where I absolutely need a stealth kill and cant do anything else. If I can't hit the target, I aim for something else. In either case, just hope the arrow doesn't break so I can retrieve it later.

Let me clarify.

My complaint wasnt the AI are too hard, or that they notice me, or even human vs infected. It was that the infected are programed to hover around my area, regardless of if i was seen, had flashlights on, made sounds, crouched, etc.

Just test it. Ill explain and try to keep it vague.

In the ruined building at the beginning of the game and in the dark warehouse, even if you are hiding and werent seen, the AI would make there way to where you are. Even if they were behind a wall and couldnt see/hear you, the AI routine would trigger once you crossed an invisible threshold and (if they didnt see you) would run the routine within your proximity. Obviously if they heard you they would slowly make their way toward you. Thats not my complaint. I mean they are programmed to stay close to you regardless of the tactic you have.

Human AI was a little better but still stupid. Having similar pre-programmed routines that stayed close to where you are.

Sure, it may heighten the tension in spots, but i want the option to be able to sneak through a level with no combat. I shouldve been able to do that in most cases but the game forced me into confrontation, often dying because i wasnt equipped for direct combat as i started by investing in stealth skills. My listen is fully upgraded which is why i can see their routines so well.

#465 Edited by silversix_ (15243 posts) -

Wish there was a way to buy TLOU's multiplayer alone for like $15. Pvp looks really good in this game

#466 Posted by LostProphetFLCL (17644 posts) -

Decided to pick this up. Never had played it on the PS3. Game is definitely good and I am starting to see where all the GoTG comments are coming from now that I have my hands on it. Still find the amount of hype the game had before (especially right after it's reveal) a tad bit annoying, but I am really enjoying the game so far.

#467 Posted by handssss (1837 posts) -

@navyguy21 said:

@handssss said:

Let me clarify.

My complaint wasnt the AI are too hard, or that they notice me, or even human vs infected. It was that the infected are programed to hover around my area, regardless of if i was seen, had flashlights on, made sounds, crouched, etc.

In the ruined building at the beginning of the game and in the dark warehouse, even if you are hiding and werent seen, the AI would make there way to where you are. Even if they were behind a wall and couldnt see/hear you, the AI routine would trigger once you crossed an invisible threshold and (if they didnt see you) would run the routine within your proximity. Obviously if they heard you they would slowly make their way toward you. Thats not my complaint. I mean they are programmed to stay close to you regardless of the tactic you have.

Human AI was a little better but still stupid. Having similar pre-programmed routines that stayed close to where you are.

Sure, it may heighten the tension in spots, but i want the option to be able to sneak through a level with no combat. I shouldve been able to do that in most cases but the game forced me into confrontation, often dying because i wasnt equipped for direct combat as i started by investing in stealth skills. My listen is fully upgraded which is why i can see their routines so well.

Sorry, I haven't seen any of that yet. At various times I've had to stay in the same spot in a room for like 5 minutes with enemies still wandering about and sometimes they do seem to change routes and go after me, but that's always been after i used hearing to see that they met up in the middle of the room or something and agreed to keep searching. Most of the time though, I can get the patterns down and then sort of just make my way out of the area and onto the next, only attacking who I need in order to stay hidden.

Admit I haven't gone through any areas with no combat, but never exactly tried. If I have the perfect chance, I still always kill just to prevent a chance of that person being a problem later. Also means that while enemies become alert if they see the body, it's a potential distraction window if they do notice it.

#468 Edited by _Matt_ (9022 posts) -

Getting my copy tomorrow. I have played the main game before on PS3 but never Left Behind.

Can someone tell me, is Left Behind a prequel? And is it worth paying before the main game at all?

#469 Edited by scottpsfan14 (6118 posts) -

TLOU R in Photo mode looks really good.

#470 Posted by scottpsfan14 (6118 posts) -
@silversix_ said:

Wish there was a way to buy TLOU's multiplayer alone for like $15. Pvp looks really good in this game

How good is TLOU multiplayer then?

#471 Posted by tacoma1972 (187 posts) -

Looks like Carolyn went out in style. Cant say I will miss the reviews.

#472 Posted by dino7c (155 posts) -

@Zethrickk382 said:

@shadiezz2012 said:

@D4RKL1NG said:

Caroline left gamespot today. Thank god. Hopefully Tom is next

https://twitter.com/carolynmichelle/status/494569999529304064

oh thank god i hope Tom follow suit and leave too

Apparently he's also been let go with a few others. :/

Confirmed to have been laid off:

Carolyn Petit / Tom Mc Shea / Justin Calvert / Maxwell McGee / Ryan Mac Donald & Benito Gonzalez

Granted I won't miss any of them but, I do hope they find work soon.

Glad the first two are gone, hopefully they kept some of that money they were taking under the table for reviews...When you give a sony game the same score is polygon you know something is up

#473 Posted by silversix_ (15243 posts) -

@scottpsfan14 said:
@silversix_ said:

How good is TLOU multiplayer then?

great/10

#474 Edited by handssss (1837 posts) -

@_Matt_ said:

Getting my copy tomorrow. I have played the main game before on PS3 but never Left Behind.

Can someone tell me, is Left Behind a prequel? And is it worth paying before the main game at all?

its a prequel, but it cuts back to events during the winter section a few times as well.

#475 Edited by Bread_or_Decide (18111 posts) -

Finally ordered this game for my PS3. Gonna put it at the top of my backlog list.

#476 Edited by shadiezz2012 (2595 posts) -

@navyguy21 said:

@handssss said:

Let me clarify.

why the hell are you playing with listen mode on ?! disable it dude ...it make the game far more tense

#477 Posted by kingtito (5116 posts) -

@dino7c said:

@Zethrickk382 said:

@shadiezz2012 said:

@D4RKL1NG said:

Caroline left gamespot today. Thank god. Hopefully Tom is next

https://twitter.com/carolynmichelle/status/494569999529304064

oh thank god i hope Tom follow suit and leave too

Apparently he's also been let go with a few others. :/

Confirmed to have been laid off:

Carolyn Petit / Tom Mc Shea / Justin Calvert / Maxwell McGee / Ryan Mac Donald & Benito Gonzalez

Granted I won't miss any of them but, I do hope they find work soon.

Glad the first two are gone, hopefully they kept some of that money they were taking under the table for reviews...When you give a sony game the same score is polygon you know something is up

Riiiggghhhtttttt.. Cows just won't give up.

Oh no, they didn't give TLOU the score I thought it should get....teh bias, they were paid off, they hate Sony.....pretty much sums up cows and SWs.

It's pathetic and proves what jokes cows are.

#479 Edited by AgentA-Mi6 (16290 posts) -

@joel_c17 said:

So happy Mcshae and Petit got fired

They were fired?...

When?

#480 Edited by charizard1605 (59570 posts) -

@joel_c17: Please show some class. People lost their jobs. They are now unemployed. The fact that you can actually be happy that this happened to them because you hold some grudges because they didn't agree with you on a video game tells us all loads about you.

#481 Posted by tacoma1972 (187 posts) -

Not going to rant but Charizard. I have alot of respect for you and the mods here but people have a right to be frustrated. I have said some stupid, ignorant things on these forums and alot of it was based not on the reviews that were presented by MCShae and Petit but they way their opinions on other subject matter was brought into the review process. If they would have simply reviewed the games without trying to bring in social issues I would have had less frustration with them. It is unfortunate they lost their jobs but I am happy. Not happy that they lost their job but I am happy they are off this site.

#482 Posted by cainetao11 (18295 posts) -

@charizard1605: its amazing isn't it? Taking video game opinions that seriously? Then some people say I can't believe terrorists kill over differing religious beliefs. Hating over a difference is stupid imo.

#483 Edited by charizard1605 (59570 posts) -

@cainetao11 said:

@charizard1605: its amazing isn't it? Taking video game opinions that seriously? Then some people say I can't believe terrorists kill over differing religious beliefs. Hating over a difference is stupid imo.

I agree. I mean, in some instances, when the topic is very emotionally charged, such as rape or murder, I can understand people getting carried away and wishing ill on another person (although I would never personally do it myself), but really? Over this? Over a review of a video game? Something you play with? Essentially, you are glad someone lost their job because they don't like an electronic toy as much as you do?

I really wouldn't have anything to say to you after that.

System Wars disappoints me.

#484 Edited by cainetao11 (18295 posts) -

@charizard1605: well said. I had a girlfriend that I lived with that loved using toys and being naughty, if you know what mean. Imagine if she hated a friend for not liking using the same things we did, just because they weren't to her liking? Its ridiculous.

Do I agree with TLOU score? No. But do I feel its a cardinal sin others don't agree with mine? Hell no.

#485 Edited by MirkoS77 (7963 posts) -

@Bread_or_Decide said:

Finally ordered this game for my PS3. Gonna put it at the top of my backlog list.

If you've not yet played this game, do everything in your power to play it on the PS4. If you don't have one, wait until you do. The increased framerate is a markedly HUGE improvement that cannot be understated. Not just to the way it looks, but it plays much better too. I can't even understand how I tolerated it before this and there's no way I can go back.

@scottpsfan14: beautiful shots! You should make a TLoU photo thread here or in GGD. Neogaf has one, it'd be a good place to prove to all these tools how good this remaster really looks.

#486 Posted by joel_c17 (2885 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@joel_c17: Please show some class. People lost their jobs. They are now unemployed. The fact that you can actually be happy that this happened to them because you hold some grudges because they didn't agree with you on a video game tells us all loads about you.

yes they lost their jobs - now they have an opportunity to do something they are good at. They can be bakers or carpenters or whatever, but i can tell you one thing, they were horrible gaming journalists. You are not entitled to a job if you are bad at it you should get fired.

#487 Posted by lostrib (40000 posts) -

@joel_c17: ...I think it's more that you took joy out of them getting laid off. Probably best to just avoid the whole subject

#488 Posted by _Matt_ (9022 posts) -

@handssss said:

@_Matt_ said:

its a prequel, but it cuts back to events during the winter section a few times as well.

Ahh thank you :)

#489 Edited by Netret0120 (2255 posts) -

It has been awhile since a reviewer has garnered this much debate since Jeff Gerstmann and the Kane review.

I never agreed with his opinion but i can understand why he was fired from a business point of view.

Sad to see anyone lose their job but judging from what i've read he had it coming for awhile.

#490 Posted by Ballroompirate (23429 posts) -

@charizard1605: Char you should know why people hate Tom and Carolyn, and they deserved the hate they got. As for the other people who got fired I don't remember them trying to piss off the GS community or were horrible at their jobs so I can feel pity on them cause I have no bad feelings towards them.

As for the remastered TLOU, people aren't pissed that she gave it an 8.0, it's how she wrote her review. Using myself as an example I'm steamed she hated Joel for killing hundreds of people, while ironically she had no issues of Lara Croft killing hundreds of people in her reboot game (yes she reviewed the reboot). I don't want her feminist sexist crap in my video game reviews, it makes me barf when I see it over at Kotaku and I sure as hell don't want it over here.

As for Tom, we all knew the guy was a troll who was getting paid to write reviews.

#491 Posted by gameofthering (10393 posts) -

Just stop giving games scores and force people to read reviews and make their own opinion up about the game.

#492 Posted by scottpsfan14 (6118 posts) -
@joel_c17 said:

@charizard1605 said:

yes they lost their jobs - now they have an opportunity to do something they are good at. They can be bakers or carpenters or whatever, but i can tell you one thing, they were horrible gaming journalists. You are not entitled to a job if you are bad at it you should get fired.

But it isn't a fact that TLOU is a 10/10. Getting annoyed over a game review is fucking pathetic. Get your priorities sorted.

#493 Edited by dave123321 (34261 posts) -

@_Matt_: I would play the left behind dlc when you get to the Winter section. Right after Fall ends.

Part of it takes place between the end of the Fall section and the start of the Winter section of the main game. Rest is prequel stuff with Ellie.

#494 Posted by joel_c17 (2885 posts) -

@scottpsfan14: turn it up champ

#495 Posted by Phazevariance (11009 posts) -

@Ballroompirate: It honestly doesn't matter if you didn't like them, still show some respect for people losing their jobs. They didn't do anything wrong in their reviews besides voicing their own opinions, which everyone here on system wars does on a daily basis anyways.

#496 Posted by cainetao11 (18295 posts) -

@Phazevariance said:

@Ballroompirate: It honestly doesn't matter if you didn't like them, still show some respect for people losing their jobs. They didn't do anything wrong in their reviews besides voicing their own opinions, which everyone here on system wars does on a daily basis anyways.

I am literally blown away by some of the comments here. I am not saying people HAVE to feel bad for them being laid off. But showing respect about it is a choice one makes about their own character, or lack of thereof.

#497 Edited by kepper_larson (39 posts) -

McShae'd...Again.

#498 Posted by Randolph (10542 posts) -

@musalala said:

Its funny how this whole "how can someone be a decent human being after murdering a small nation of people " never came up once during her review of The New Tomb Raider, the new lara is just as blood thirsty,violent and vicious as Joel but some how Lara's love for her friends ( for whom she is doing all these horrible inhuman things for) is never once questioned not even once.

This. This right here. Tomb Raider turns into fucking Gears of War just past the halfway mark. Lara not only kills hundreds, she does so VICIOUSLY. At one segment she even cries out "I WILL KILL YOU ALL". But because she's a woman, it's ok and justified. Like how this ESPN anchor recently got in trouble for questioning if the wife of a NFL player might have done something to trigger a confrontation with him, and was almost fired for it. But when Solange attacked Jay-Z recently EVERYONE in the media just assumed he did something to deserve it and it was ok. The double standard is simply ASTOUNDING.

#499 Edited by Randolph (10542 posts) -

@kingtito said:

LOL at all the cows trying to convince others reviews are anything other than opinions. An opinion is wrong because THEY don't agree with it hahahaha.

Cows are such losers bwhahahahaha

Opinions don't have default levels of respect or credibility. Opinions can be informed, or uninformed. Some can, in fact, just be plain wrong. It's time we collectively got past this intellectually bankrupt excuse of "it's just their opinion, man". Yes, everyone has the right to their opinion, but no one has the right to be right, and we get to have an opinion on the validity of their opinion. As this thread has shown clear as day, the opinion Caro had on Joel, specifically, was grossly misinformed and a glaring hypocritical double standard.

I know she is a decent person, she USED to be a member of the community and a fellow moderator way back in the day. But even though I know she is a decent person, I can honestly say she was a AWFUL reviewer. It's a fact of life that when you are just plain bad at your job, you will lose your job. (unless your dad owns the company or something) But you can't express this kind of view without simple minded dingleberries lumping you with other people and saying "LuLz u just mad dat yer game got a *insert term score*".

Or in the case of one overwhelmingly self righteous person in this thread "You are happy someone lost their job because they had a different opinion about an electronic toy than you did, for SHAME". It's an intellectually dishonest smear job. If you frequent an establishment and one particular employee there is just TERRIBLE at their job and ruins your experience every time you visit it, and FINALLY after a long time they get what's coming to them and get fired… yeah… you are damn right I'm going to be happy they were fired.

Hell, my issues with Tom's reviews started with the FIRST Infamous game. He rated that game a 9. It was just an exceptionally badly written review that did an awful job justifying how he arrived at the score he gave it. I don't hate either of these people. I don't rejoice in their termination because they "disagreed with me about a toy", I am rejoicing in this because they were just absolutely terrible writers who have actively contributed to a steep decline in the quality of the services I get from what has been my go to gaming site since 2001.

But no, by all means, just claim I'm only upset that some trivial number wasn't as high as I thought it should be. Considering the actual truth obviously makes some of you very uncomfortable, by all means, stay in the smug self righteous echo chamber you've made for yourself so you can feel morally superior.

#500 Posted by Ballroompirate (23429 posts) -

@Phazevariance said:

Sorry but if you show respect towards people who were horrible at their job and pissed off other people, my god you're one sorry sob.