Titanfall removing content, while adding in paid content

• 126 results
#1 Edited by R4gn4r0k (16987 posts) -

Respawn has announced they cut 2 game modes from the PC version at the same time they launched their patch which includes 3 paid DLC maps.

Respawn said that the game modes just weren't popular enough, but that doesn't excuse cutting content which people already paid for and which many people still liked. Meanwhile, they were nice enough to include a 'store' option directly into the game so you can buy more content :)

So far this is only in the PC version, but it makes for a dangerous precedent. What's to stop them doing this to the Xbox versions? What's to stop them doing this for other game modes ?

If your game has no singleplayer content to speak off, and you are cutting multiplayer content ? What will the game be left with ?

#2 Edited by NathanDrakeSwag (5232 posts) -

LOL no single player campaign and only 3 multiplayer modes running on an ancient source engine in 792p with unstable framerate. Believe the hype indeed.

#3 Edited by sts106mat (19997 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

Respawn has announced they cut 2 game modes from the PC version at the same time they launched their patch which includes 3 paid DLC maps.

Respawn said that the game modes just weren't popular enough, but that doesn't excuse cutting content which people already paid for and which many people still liked. Meanwhile, they were nice enough to include a 'store' option directly into the game so you can buy more content :)

So far this is only in the PC version, but it makes for a dangerous precedent. What's to stop them doing this to the Xbox versions? What's to stop them doing this for other game modes ?

If your game has no singleplayer content to speak off, and you are cutting multiplayer content ? What will the game be left with ?

That's weird, i dont understand why they'd do that. must be that PC players really dont play those modes and people are sat waiting for matchmaking for too long. I dont have this issue on Xone though.

I bought the DLC, so far i have only paid swampland map which seems like it'll be a fun addition.

All other modes / additions will be free, they have said this several times already.

EDIT - They will still be playable under the "variety playlist" which is a mix of all modes......this just became a none story.

#4 Edited by freedomfreak (41428 posts) -

Yeah, cut content from a multiplayer-only game.

Weaksauce, Respawn.

#5 Edited by sts106mat (19997 posts) -

@freedomfreak said:

Weaksauce, Respawn.

they only cut the option to play just those games modes....the modes are still playable under the variety playlist, which after attrition, is almost certainly the most popular mode......

this is a none-story

#6 Posted by aroxx_ab (10484 posts) -

How can they remove content... o.O

#7 Edited by sts106mat (19997 posts) -

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

LOL only 3 multiplayer modes running on an ancient source engine in 792p with unstable framerate. Believe the hype indeed.

wrong clown

#8 Posted by jonesy1911 (3482 posts) -

Wish I could get a refund on origin....

#9 Posted by NathanDrakeSwag (5232 posts) -

@aroxx_ab said:

How can they remove content... o.O

All thats left is a blank disc.

#10 Posted by freedomfreak (41428 posts) -
@sts106mat said:

they only cut the option to play just those games modes....the modes are still playable under the variety playlist, which after attrition, is almost certainly the most popular mode......

this is a none-story

So, the people that wanna play these modes have to play through other modes first to get to it, and then it only lasts for one match.. Cool beans.

There's no reason for them to cut it out. The game isn't exactly overflowing with content to a point where it's just cluttered. The most played game mode in COD is Team Deathmatch, while other modes just don't get any players at all, and Infinity Ward/Treyarch don't take them out.

#11 Posted by HalcyonScarlet (4653 posts) -

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

LOL no single player campaign and only 3 multiplayer modes running on an ancient source engine in 792p with unstable framerate. Believe the hype indeed.

I'm pretty sure the PC can go above that.

#12 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16987 posts) -

@sts106mat said:

That's weird, i dont understand why they'd do that. must be that PC players really dont play those modes and people are sat waiting for matchmaking for too long. I dont have this issue on Xone though.

I bought the DLC, so far i have only paid swampland map which seems like it'll be a fun addition.

All other modes / additions will be free, they have said this several times already.

EDIT - They will still be playable under the "variety playlist" which is a mix of all modes......this just became a none story.

It's not a none story. Playing variety is not the same as CTF.

There are some game modes I don't like and CTF which I do like. Why would I play Variety ?

I'm not going to argue whether the game modes were popular enough or not. What I am going to argue however is that instead of trying to fix the game to lure PC gamers back in, they spend their time more on DLC.

Cutting content from the game people already paid for and offering paid content is not a non issue. It's a serious issue, and tells me what Respawn thinks of their community: bags of money.

@freedomfreak said:

Weaksauce, Respawn.

I wanted to give Respawn a chance. They made a very good multiplayer shooter. And I had hours of fun playing it.

But I'm not interested in anything else they make anymore. No respect for their customers.

#13 Posted by sts106mat (19997 posts) -

@freedomfreak said:

@sts106mat said:

this is a none-story

So, the people that wanna play these modes have to play through other modes first to get to it, and then it only lasts for one match.. Cool beans.

There's no reason for them to cut it out. The game isn't exactly overflowing with content to a point where it's just cluttered. The most played game mode in COD is Team Deathmatch, while other modes just don't get any players at all, and Infinity Ward/Treyarch don't take them out.

They can still play those modes in private matches or variety pack.

Respawn say that they cut it because PC players dont use the modes enough. there is no other reason to cut it... If its not used enough, removing it will stop people going in to those lobbies and being unable to find a match.

I personally stick to the attrition and variety.

They have promised additional modes are incoming (for free)

#14 Edited by sts106mat (19997 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

@sts106mat said:

It's not a none story. Playing variety is not the same as CTF.

There are some game modes I don't like and CTF which I do like. Why would I play Variety ?

I'm not going to argue whether the game modes were popular enough or not. What I am going to argue however is that instead of trying to fix the game to lure PC gamers back in, they spend their time more on DLC.

Cutting content from the game people already paid for and offering paid content is not a non issue. It's a serious issue, and tells me what Respawn thinks of their community: bags of money.

@freedomfreak said:

Weaksauce, Respawn.

I wanted to give Respawn a chance. They made a very good multiplayer shooter. And I had hours of fun playing it.

But I'm not interested in anything else they make anymore. No respect for their customers.

You can still play it in private matches it, shouldn't be hard to find like minded people (especially when they introduce the #matchmaking thing.

The game is crying out for new modes and maps, removing dead lobbies isn't the end of the world...the game modes are still there.

#15 Edited by freedomfreak (41428 posts) -
@sts106mat said:

Respawn say that they cut it because PC players dont use the modes enough. there is no other reason to cut it... If its not used enough, removing it will stop people going in to those lobbies and being unable to find a match.

I'm not even counting variety pack, because that is not the same. And private matches only? C'mon..

It's just lame to cut content for it, even if it doesn't attract a lot of players. Refer to my COD comment. They don't pull this stuff.
Respawn is getting rid of content people paid for.

#16 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16987 posts) -

@sts106mat said:

So far they added one game mode, which is pretty much the same as another game mode and removed 2.... I don't get how that shows their support for the game.

Private match ? Oh please, that's totally not the same.

Variety pack ? Again, why play 4 game modes when you just want to play one ?

They should've fixed this game and listened to the community to get people playing. Not cut content. Not a single dev does that.

Not a single dev that wants to build up some customer loyalty at least.

What if the Xbox players dwindle ? You think they won't start cutting there ? All online games lose players after a while. Difference is, most don't start cutting content. They add extra content/fixes to get people interested again.

What Respawn doing is wrong. Once the MP starts losing even more players, and it will if players come back and notice content is missing, it'll be a dead game. There is no singleplayer. And more content is being cut than added for free.

#17 Posted by HitmanActual (399 posts) -

Let the milking commence. They need to make money somewhere, they don't have the game on PS4 where all the money in sales is.

Xboned.

#18 Edited by sts106mat (19997 posts) -

@freedomfreak said:

@sts106mat said:

I'm not even counting variety pack, because that is not the same. And private matches only? C'mon..

It's just lame to cut content for it, even if it doesn't attract a lot of players. Refer to my COD comment. They don't pull this stuff.

Respawn is getting rid of content people paid for.

the content is still there, they only removed the option to play solely those modes.

Look, i really dont understand the need to remove this either, unless, as they said, not enough people play those modes. They have the data, not us...if people are sat waiting minutes on end for other players that wont be coming only to drop back out and play another mode, there is zero point in those lobbies being there at all.

once again, the modes are still available under variety pack and private matches.

#19 Edited by sts106mat (19997 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

@sts106mat said:

Variety pack ? Again, why play 4 game modes when you just want to play one ?

They should've fixed this game and listened to the community to get people playing. Not cut content. Not a single dev does that.

Not a single dev that wants to build up some customer loyalty at least.

What if the Xbox players dwindle ? You think they won't start cutting there ? All online games lose players after a while. Difference is, most don't start cutting content. They add extra content/fixes to get people interested again.

What Respawn doing is wrong. Once the MP starts losing even more players, and it will if players come back and notice content is missing, it'll be a dead game. There is no singleplayer. And more content is being cut than added for free.

Don't ask me, it's not my fault your fellow PC gamers aren;t playing pilot hunter enough...be mad at them

The game isn't broken, (at least on XB1) WTF are you talking about.

They have plenty of loyal customers, check twitter.....

If player counts drop, they will react accordingly.

You are wrong, other companies do this. Bungie and 343 have always added and removed playlists, it keeps thing fresh and the community challenged....other devs can learn from that.

modes coming for free.

modes coming for free

It won't be a dead game

#20 Edited by bezza2011 (2662 posts) -

and so the Online generation of games truly begins lol, and to think I was debating my decision to not support online/drm gaming, just proves that you don't get what you pay for in the long run. what if said you pay $60 and these modes are the only modes you like to play, granted they say there wasn't enough people playing them, surely that comes down to sorting out fixing matchmaking and bringing together smaller servers for these modes not getting rid of them.

#21 Edited by freedomfreak (41428 posts) -
@sts106mat said:

the content is still there, they only removed the option to play solely those modes.

Look, i really dont understand the need to remove this either, unless, as they said, not enough people play those modes. They have the data, not us...if people are sat waiting minutes on end for other players that wont be coming only to drop back out and play another mode, there is zero point in those lobbies being there at all.

once again, the modes are still available under variety pack and private matches.

Yeah, good on them, cutting content from an already barebones game.

Like I said, there's so many multiplayer games out there of which certain modes are hardly played, and you don't see developers cutting those out. Why? Because the consumer paid for that content in the first place.

It's an uncool thing to do.

#22 Posted by nintendoboy16 (27247 posts) -

Now that is treating your audience like a bag of d***s if I ever saw it.

#23 Edited by sts106mat (19997 posts) -

@freedomfreak said:

@sts106mat said:

Like I said, there's so many multiplayer games out there of which certain modes are hardly played, and you don't see developers cutting those out. Why? Because the consumer paid for that content in the first place.

yes there are, halo adds and removes playlists, it keeps things interesting and stops it getting tired.

#24 Edited by freedomfreak (41428 posts) -
@sts106mat said:

yes there are, halo adds and removes playlists, it keeps things interesting and stops it getting tired.

And it's lame for them to do it, too.

You're getting rid of content people paid for. You wanna defend that? Fine by me.

#25 Edited by IgGy621985 (4842 posts) -

Glad I didn't buy that piece of shit.

#26 Edited by uninspiredcup (9668 posts) -

Great. now I can laugh even more at the people who bought this.

Ho Ho Ho. He He He.

E.t.c....

#27 Edited by WilliamRLBaker (28437 posts) -

hmmm they cut content? oh wait they didn't they removed the matches from the main playlists which isn't the same as cutting content these matches are still playable in the variety playlist and private matches.
Something quite a few other fps games have done in the past including ps3 fps.

Seems like you are trying to pull a clickbait thread.

#28 Edited by sts106mat (19997 posts) -

@freedomfreak said:
@sts106mat said:

You're getting rid of content people paid for. You wanna defend that? Fine by me.

no it's not lame, they add them back in and cycle...that way the game is always changing.

#29 Edited by freedomfreak (41428 posts) -
@sts106mat said:

no it's not lame, they add them back in and cycle...that way the game is always changing.

These modes will return to Titanfall?

#30 Edited by sts106mat (19997 posts) -

@freedomfreak said:
@sts106mat said:

These modes will return to Titanfall?

they haven't left

#31 Edited by FoxbatAlpha (7879 posts) -

Sounds like they are dumbing down the PC version so everyone plays it on the superior ONE version.

#32 Posted by freedomfreak (41428 posts) -
@sts106mat said:

they haven't left

Oh right. Private matches and variety only.

gg, respawn.

#33 Edited by SolidTy (44489 posts) -

Shame. I had high hopes with Respawn once they were free from Activision's clutches.

Turns out it wasn't Activision I needed to worry about. Another shame is I don't even play my copy of Titanfall anymore. Maybe the sequel.

#34 Edited by McStrongfast (4272 posts) -

I don't know how Titanfall's set up. I take it there's no way to rent servers and they're all hosted and operated by EA/Respawn? Because if they're meddling with servers people have paid for then that'd be fucked up.

It's still bizarre that they're gating what modes you can access. You buy a game expecting to be able to play the modes that have been advertised. It's not a F2P game that's on a rotation of what's accessible.

What's this "Variety" they mention?

@sts106mat said:

@freedomfreak said:
@sts106mat said:

Removing access to less popular game modes to force people who like those modes to play other modes, sounds stupid. Also, they're not "changing things up", they're removing access to modes most people aren't playing, which is kind of the opposite of stopping it getting tired. I do not understand the purpose of this. Have Respawn explained themselves somewhere?

#36 Posted by sts106mat (19997 posts) -

@McStrongfast said:

I don't know how Titanfall's set up. I take it there's no way to rent servers and they're all hosted and operated by EA/Respawn? Because if they're meddling with servers people have paid for then that'd be fucked up.

It's still bizarre that they're gating what modes you can access. You buy a game expecting to be able to play the modes that have been advertised. It's not a F2P game that's on a rotation of what's accessible.

What's this "Variety" they mention?

@sts106mat said:

@freedomfreak said:
@sts106mat said:

Removing access to less popular game modes to force people who like those modes to play other modes, sounds stupid. Also, they're not "changing things up", they're removing access to modes most people aren't playing, which is kind of the opposite of stopping it getting tired. I do not understand the purpose of this. Have Respawn explained themselves somewhere?

the "variety pack" is a mixture of "capture the flag, attrition, hardpoint, pilot hunter and last titan standing" you play one mode on one map, then the next round, there is a new map and a new mode and so on.

On twitter they simply said "not enough people play those stand alone modes" if they are getting data that suggests people are waiting for matchmaking for too long and then dropping out and playing a different mode anyway....that would be reason enough to remove them. they wouldn't do it for any other reason, because to do so makes no sense at all.

#37 Posted by Blabadon (27168 posts) -

Fucking lame, Zampella.

#38 Edited by McStrongfast (4272 posts) -
@sts106mat said:

the "variety pack" is a mixture of "capture the flag, attrition, hardpoint, pilot hunter and last titan standing" you play one mode on one map, then the next round, there is a new map and a new mode and so on.

On twitter they simply said "not enough people play those stand alone modes" if they are getting data that suggests people are waiting for matchmaking for too long and then dropping out and playing a different mode anyway....that would be reason enough to remove them. they wouldn't do it for any other reason, because to do so makes no sense at all.

Matchmaking fills a role, but when removing access to the mode is apparently deemed an apt solution to the issue of people having to sit and wait in a lobby, then clearly it's not the way to go for less populated modes. Titanfall doesn't have a server browser?

Also, how is not being able to play a game mode preferable to having to wait X minutes before being able to? I don't see how it ever makes sense to pull the plug on a mode. Unsustainable ones will naturally fade away.

#39 Edited by sts106mat (19997 posts) -

@McStrongfast said:
@sts106mat said:

Matchmaking has a purpose, but when removing access to the mode is apparently deemed an apt solution to the issue of people having to sit and wait in a lobby, then clearly it's not the way to go for less populated modes. Titanfall doesn't have a server browser?

Also, how is not being able to play a game mode preferable to having to wait X minutes before being able to? I don't see how it ever makes sense to pull the plug on a mode. Unsustainable ones will naturally fade away.

The thing is, the modes can still be played in private matches or under the variety playlists. I can see no other logical reason as to why they have removed it, other than what they have already said.

It doesn't have a server browser (at least the xbox version doesn't), it uses azure and a skill based matchmaking system, (which might be part of the problem here).

#40 Edited by R4gn4r0k (16987 posts) -

@sts106mat said:

Don't ask me, it's not my fault your fellow PC gamers aren;t playing pilot hunter enough...be mad at them

You are wrong, other companies do this. Bungie and 343 have always added and removed playlists, it keeps thing fresh and the community challenged....other devs can learn from that.

modes coming for free.

modes coming for free

It won't be a dead game

Where did I state I'm mad at you ?

Why would I be mad at PC gamers ?

All we know is that the modes weren't played enough. It could be a few thousand people that it isn't enough. It could be that the modes died out in the US and that all other regions are affected by this... We don't know.

Yes, the game is still broken. SLI support took months. Still no support for ultra widescreen/multi monitors. Still massive framedrops on some maps... I could go on.

Also PC patches were delayed because of time spent into the Xbone version. They didn't want to release a PC patch if there was no Xbone patch. They haven't really done their best to please the PC community.

I personally stopped playing when the april patch caused longer join and load times. I just couldn't understand how this game worked better in BETA than it did after a couple of patches.

I was going to return now with the inclusion of more loadout slots... But now I found out I can play no more CTF.

"React accordingly" ... excuse me ? They fail to react to all the feedback on their forums. I've seen people list plenty of problems yet there is not one post there from their Community manager. I saw not one.

Cutting content from a game that already lacks content is not what I calling reacting accordingly.

#41 Edited by R4gn4r0k (16987 posts) -

@freedomfreak said:

Yes, because even if only a hundred people play a game mode, a thousand or even a dozen. Those are still people that like what they play and that want to continue playing those.

Not giving people what they want, especially if they already payed for it is not really friendly to your community.

#42 Edited by Ben-Buja (3081 posts) -

@HalcyonScarlet said:

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

Yep and at 120 fps, the rate of fire is higher than at 60 fps rofl

#43 Edited by uninspiredcup (9668 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

@freedomfreak said:

Yes, because even if only a hundred people play a game mode, a thousand or even a dozen. Those are still people that like what they play and that want to continue playing those.

Not giving people what they want, especially if they already payed for it is not really friendly to your community.

It's bullshit. People should be able to create there own server.

Saying that though, if you support EA, you get everything you fucking deserve. No right to complain, EA being EA is not news.

Valve are winners, you either come over to the winning team or you loose, forever.

#44 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16987 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

It's bullshit. People should be able to create there own server.

Saying that though, if you support EA, you get everything you fucking deserve. No right to complain, EA being EA is not news.

Valve are winners, you either come over to the winning team or you loose, forever.

They abandoned EA to go to Activision and they abandoned Activision to got to EA.

At least when they were first at EA and first at Activision they were dedicated to making good games: Moh:AA and COD 1&2.

Now they are dedicated to making a lot of money. Thanks for adding the 'store' option Respawn, I'll be sure to check out your new content to fill the gap you made by removing content we already paid for :)

#45 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16987 posts) -

@WilliamRLBaker said:

hmmm they cut content? oh wait they didn't they removed the matches from the main playlists which isn't the same as cutting content these matches are still playable in the variety playlist and private matches.

Something quite a few other fps games have done in the past including ps3 fps.

Seems like you are trying to pull a clickbait thread.

They removed 2 game modes. What is it you don't understand exactly ?

"Quite a few other FPS have done"

LOL

#46 Edited by sts106mat (19997 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

@sts106mat said:

modes coming for free.

modes coming for free

It won't be a dead game

Where did I state I'm mad at you ?

Why would I be mad at PC gamers ?

All we know is that the modes weren't played enough. It could be a few thousand people that it isn't enough. It could be that the modes died out in the US and that all other regions are affected by this... We don't know.

Yes, the game is still broken. SLI support took months. Still no support for ultra widescreen/multi monitors. Still massive framedrops on some maps... I could go on.

Also PC patches were delayed because of time spent into the Xbone version. They didn't want to release a PC patch if there was no Xbone patch. They haven't really done their best to please the PC community.

I personally stopped playing when the april patch caused longer join and load times. I just couldn't understand how this game worked better in BETA than it did after a couple of patches.

I was going to return now with the inclusion of more loadout slots... But now I found out I can play no more CTF.

"React accordingly" ... excuse me ? They fail to react to all the feedback on their forums. I've seen people list plenty of problems yet there is not one post there from their Community manager. I saw not one.

Cutting content from a game that already lacks content is not what I calling reacting accordingly.

Ok, sorry if i came across bad there. I've only spent a brief time with the new DLC, but the game now lets you add mode specific loadouts, 2 per mode I think. in addition to your usual 5.

the april patch was designed so that if your asses got kicked, by a high power team, you wouldn't be stuck facing them again and again.

I rarely join games that are one-sided now. a lot of the time, the matches seem to be neck and neck right to the wire, which is what they were looking to achieve. Once you get a well balanced lobby, there is no reason to leave and have to wait for finding other games.

#47 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16987 posts) -

@sts106mat said:

Ok, sorry if i came across bad there. I've only spent a brief time with the new DLC, but the game now lets you add mode specific loadouts, 2 per mode I think. in addition to your usual 5.

the april patch was designed so that if your asses got kicked, by a high power team, you wouldn't be stuck facing them again and again.

I rarely join games that are one-sided now. a lot of the time, the matches seem to be neck and neck right to the wire, which is what they were looking to achieve. Once you get a well balanced lobby, there is no reason to leave and have to wait for finding other games.

Yeah, perhaps I was a bit too harsh.

They have improved the game: like the matchmaking is much improved and I do like the inclusion of more custom loadouts as well as you letting them rename them.

I just can't understand them removing a game mode even if but a hundred people played it.

Some developers are dedicated to making every single gamer happy, it's silly perhaps, but I get the exact other feeling when it comes to Respawn. Also, adding paid content in the same day you are removing game modes just feels wrong...

Perhaps if they would've added two new game modes with this patch, it would've been some sort of way to ease the pain for people who liked this modes.

All they added as extra game modes now is 2v2 LTS, and I don't even like LTS... Hardpoint and CTF are my favs.

#48 Edited by sts106mat (19997 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

@sts106mat said:

Yeah, perhaps I was a bit too harsh.

They have improved the game: like the matchmaking is much improved and I do like the inclusion of more custom loadouts as well as you letting them rename them.

I just can't understand them removing a game mode even if but a hundred people played it.

Some developers are dedicated to making every single gamer happy, it's silly perhaps, but I get the exact other feeling when it comes to Respawn. Also, adding paid content in the same day you are removing game modes just feels wrong...

Perhaps if they would've added two new game modes with this patch, it would've been some sort of way to ease the pain for people who liked this modes.

All they added as extra game modes now is 2v2 LTS, and I don't even like LTS... Hardpoint and CTF are my favs.

I like all the game modes, LTS being my least favourite i guess. I also like hardpoint & pilot hunter.

you can understand them launching the patch with the DLC, but removing the modes...i dunno why.

At least with the xbox one, when i played the DLC, there was a Expedition variety mode, which was a mix of all modes, but solely on the new maps. I believe they are adding an attrition only mode to expedition aswell which is good, since that is my favourite.

If there is enough of a backlash from PC gamers, they'll probably add it back in.

I personally think they have been great so far, remind me of bungie / 343.

forgot about 2vs2, need to try that.

#49 Posted by HalcyonScarlet (4653 posts) -

@Ben-Buja said:

@HalcyonScarlet said:

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

Yep and at 120 fps, the rate of fire is higher than at 60 fps rofl

It's kinda funny to me when I watch that and you have cows and lems at each others throats over older looking games running at 60fps and newer looking games struggling above 30fps.

#50 Posted by ghostwarrior786 (5504 posts) -

Meh those 2 were crap anyway, I want a pilot vs pilot mode with smaller maps