Tired of devs bailing to cater to phone games....uggh

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Midnightshade29 (5428 posts) -

Seriously what has gaming come to at the end of this gen?

I am sick and tired of hearing about devs making stupid $2 phone games... they suck... I could go play free flash games If I wanted to. I have an ipod touch and the novelty wore off for games back in 2009! It was never any good, the controls aren't there and the big devs release crap that that isn't even worth the few hundred cents they cost.

How many games for this gen of handhelds has Square Enix released? Or Rockstar games? whare the f#$k is our GTA portables for vita/3ds? Where's a damn FF game? Why are all these devs putting their ports on to phones? what good is a phone for games when the battery lasts 45min when you play a 3d game on a phone and then you can't make calls. This is only one reason why a real portable is necessary. Large games with complex scope and real controls. Buttons and screens and touch pads, and everything.

Why is GTA ports not on vita/3ds? Do they not want our money? I sure don't get it. The hardware is there. The code has already been written...it just needs to be tweaked and some textured upped. Anyone else want to play these games on real portables?

The vita and 3ds are amazing portable devices and need more games... yet all the jp devs don't want to release their games over here...and just keep announcing phone game after phone game to the point where i just want to vomit everytime an announcment is made. I am sick of the greed, and wish gaming would go back to the way it was....

What will we have if phone games are all thats left... gaming as we know it as our favorite hobby would die... it would suck! First it was motion, then that died now its freakn phone apps and crap... Anyone else fed up with the casual push this gen?

#2 Posted by Blabadon (27668 posts) -
"$2 phone games... they suck..." "Why is GTA ports not on vita/3ds?" So not only do you contradict yourself on price, you contradict yourself on whether or not you think the games suck. Also, you like The Walking Dead? That's on mobile too. So no, it's not killing anything. Stop being a baby and grow up.
#3 Posted by clyde46 (46997 posts) -
Money.
#4 Posted by Yangire (8795 posts) -

Too bad gaming doesn't revolve around what we want.

#5 Posted by PannicAtack (21040 posts) -
What's wrong with phone games? Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP is pretty neat.
#6 Posted by GamerwillzPS (8530 posts) -

I completely agree.

Phone games are just awful, even worse with touch screen.

#7 Posted by clyde46 (46997 posts) -
Thing is, most phone games are designed to only be played in short bursts. Theres a reason they are called toilet games.
#8 Posted by crimsonman1245 (4253 posts) -

I dont like it either, but i dont blame them, i dont think they have to deal with these horrible publishers when they are making cheap phone games.

#9 Posted by jg4xchamp (49293 posts) -
No I'm not annoyed by the casual push. So what they make games for an audience that isn't us? Welcome to every other f*cking medium ever. The idea is that if you do enjoy your medium that much you go through the trouble of finding the stuff that is better suited for you. But you know that would require some perspective.
#10 Posted by NeonNinja (17318 posts) -

I like my phone games. They're awesome.

#11 Posted by TheDidact (3981 posts) -

I completely agree.

Phone games just awful, even worse with touch screen.

GamerwillzPS
You're turning into SNIPER!!! :o
#12 Posted by Cherokee_Jack (32198 posts) -

"$2 phone games... they suck..." "Why is GTA ports not on vita/3ds?" So not only do you contradict yourself on price, you contradict yourself on whether or not you think the games suck.Blabadon

The GTA ports would suck infinitely less if they had real controls. But in their current state, they do suck.

#13 Posted by goblaa (19304 posts) -

I like mobile games...

#14 Posted by Midnightshade29 (5428 posts) -

"$2 phone games... they suck..." "Why is GTA ports not on vita/3ds?" So not only do you contradict yourself on price, you contradict yourself on whether or not you think the games suck. Also, you like The Walking Dead? That's on mobile too. So no, it's not killing anything. Stop being a baby and grow up.Blabadon
Most phone games suck... and i don't mind spending money on mobile games when they are built for mobile platforms with full on controls.. like vita/3ds/ds/psp... not phones.... e

verybody laughed at phones like the ngage when it had controls but now with no buttons its ok? Doesn't make any sense.

Yes I would love ports of the gta games on vita/3ds... I would love even more a san andreas city stories , and original game like rockstar did with the psp... And all the Sqaure games like crysis core, dissidia, 3rd birthday, and games like peacewalker adn such..

Gta on phone sucks not because it's gta, but becasue its on a damn phone... the games should be on a machine that can play them good. Touch screen by itself is crap... plain and simple.

I am sorry you love your phone so much, but the vita/3ds need games more then ever! And devs need to support these devices...or they will die and we will be left with nothing but cheap phone games that are usually built for the casual crowd... you know, not gamers.

As for walking dead...its a masterpiece, but I would never play it on a phone, you know why.... I have a tv and a ps3 with superior control.. If it was on a "REAL" portable "Dedicated" gaming platform I would enjoy that too.

#15 Posted by Midnightshade29 (5428 posts) -
No I'm not annoyed by the casual push. So what they make games for an audience that isn't us? Welcome to every other f*cking medium ever. The idea is that if you do enjoy your medium that much you go through the trouble of finding the stuff that is better suited for you. But you know that would require some perspective. jg4xchamp
The problem is they stopped making stuff for us.. I wouldn't care if they made both, but now it seems all resources are going to apple's crumby products..
#16 Posted by LittleMac19 (1638 posts) -
You can always retire.
#17 Posted by OB-47 (10909 posts) -

You should then buy their retail games

#18 Posted by k2theswiss (16599 posts) -
most do but facts are facts. lots of people play them. It where freelance/independent small company's go because they don't have to spend 100 million like a console game
#19 Posted by Inconsistancy (8094 posts) -
3rd paragraph. SE's games (well, ff) could do extremely well on phones, menu combat doesn't need buttons, it's brilliant.
#20 Posted by NeonNinja (17318 posts) -

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]No I'm not annoyed by the casual push. So what they make games for an audience that isn't us? Welcome to every other f*cking medium ever. The idea is that if you do enjoy your medium that much you go through the trouble of finding the stuff that is better suited for you. But you know that would require some perspective. Midnightshade29
The problem is they stopped making stuff for us.. I wouldn't care if they made both, but now it seems all resources are going to apple's crumby products..

Who stopped?

Square? Last I checked they released Hitman and Tomb Raider is on the way.

Rockstar? Last I checked they released Max Payne 3.

WTF are you going on about?

#21 Posted by StrongDeadlift (5184 posts) -

You are a known Cow on here. It is well known that Cows dont buy games, therefore you (aka. Cows) are indirectly part of the problem.

There is a reason why both Lightbox Interactive, and EatSleepPlay announced they were downsizing and going "smartphone only" almost immediately following Twisted Metal and Starhawk.

Just saiyan. :cool:

#22 Posted by Killzonage (408 posts) -

I completely agree.

GamerwillzPS
No they don't.
#23 Posted by StrongDeadlift (5184 posts) -

[QUOTE="Midnightshade29"][QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]No I'm not annoyed by the casual push. So what they make games for an audience that isn't us? Welcome to every other f*cking medium ever. The idea is that if you do enjoy your medium that much you go through the trouble of finding the stuff that is better suited for you. But you know that would require some perspective. NeonNinja

Who stopped?

This. And GTA5 is on the way. And according to rumors, Vice City is next along with the next Red Dead game. Rockstar also said L.A. Noire sequel isnt ruled out as well. It seems most of the devs who are going mobile only are Sony devs.
#24 Posted by Midnightshade29 (5428 posts) -

You are a known Cow on here. It is well known that Cows dont buy games, therefore you (aka. Cows) are indirectly part of the problem.

There is a reason why both Lightbox Interactive, and EatSleepPlay announced they were downsizing and going "smartphone only" almost immediately following Twisted Metal and Starhawk.

Just saiyan. :cool:

StrongDeadlift
excuse me... my 100+ ps3 game , 60+ psp, 20+ vita, 4 3ds, 25+ds , and 200+ pc game collection say otherwise TROLL....just saying :)
#25 Posted by Midnightshade29 (5428 posts) -
[QUOTE="GamerwillzPS"]

I completely agree.

Killzonage
No they don't.

play a game on portable with actual buttons and sticks and compare to a touch screen only device.... the dedicated portables are way better in everyway. I own an ipod touch have had it since 2008.... I would play psp, ds, vita, 3ds any day over the ipod touch.
#26 Posted by Midnightshade29 (5428 posts) -

[QUOTE="Midnightshade29"][QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]No I'm not annoyed by the casual push. So what they make games for an audience that isn't us? Welcome to every other f*cking medium ever. The idea is that if you do enjoy your medium that much you go through the trouble of finding the stuff that is better suited for you. But you know that would require some perspective. NeonNinja

Who stopped?

Thats the Eidos branch of square which imo... isn't who I am referring to... the Japanese squaresoft devs. and jrpg publisher... not eidos.. Maybe if all you care about is western games I could see your point, but I am not.. I play both.
#27 Posted by AdrianWerner (28081 posts) -

Mobile games are dirt cheap to make, so they're not really taking resources away from normal games

#28 Posted by NeonNinja (17318 posts) -

[QUOTE="NeonNinja"]

[QUOTE="Midnightshade29"] The problem is they stopped making stuff for us.. I wouldn't care if they made both, but now it seems all resources are going to apple's crumby products..Midnightshade29

Who stopped?

Thats the Eidos branch of square which imo... isn't who I am referring to... the Japanese squaresoft devs. and jrpg publisher... not eidos.. Maybe if all you care about is western games I could see your point, but I am not.. I play both.

Square-Enix released Final Fantasy XIII-2 and Sleeping Dogs this year as well on consoles and PC. We know they're going to return Lightning Returns: FFXIII in 2013.

On handhelds they are going to release Dragon Quest VII on 3DS. In 2012 we had Kingdom Hearts 3D and Heroes of Ruin for 3DS and Army Corps of Hell for Vita.

On iOS they put out Chaos Rings II and Final Fantasy IV, The World Ends With You and Theaterhythm are being ported from the DS. So I don't see what the issue is. They're supporting each of the major platforms and the iOS support is mainly ports to begin with.

So I'm going to ask again, WTF are you going on about again?

#29 Posted by wakefulness (3989 posts) -

Handhelds still occupy the retail sector, so they will thrive with your publishers who look at that as a succesful busines model. Albeit, these companies making/publishing hh games are now operating on a lower demand, (compared to previous years) you KNOW there is still some profit to be squeezed out for savvy people in the biz.

And, if companies can appeal to the millions of hardcore handheld lovers (LIKE ME!!!) than games will come. Good games. Games people like I want.

Plus, there is always kickstarter. ;)

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/732317316/starlight-inceptiontm

^ I funded the project above bc it was making a VITA version. Funding project you want to be made is generally a good model. I am curious to see how this turns out though. Wondering if the fans will ruin it by TOO MUCH input.

#30 Posted by lamprey263 (24673 posts) -
well, it makes them money easier, after all when people play they get ad revenues, and they don't take as long to develop and they can get them out quicker on the other hand we have a gaming market where used game sales dominate, the only money publishers can make on a game now is usually in the first few weeks before sales of new copies come down, people start selling copies back to stores like GameStop and EB Games and Amazon and Best Buy and others, and stores like GameStop and EB Games refuse to stock up on new inventory to sell since they want to make money off the used games and it's easier to sell used games when there's absolutely no new copies on the shelf, and the whole time publishers aren't seeing sales anymore, why should these gaming companies cater to ungrateful consumers that won't support them because they want to save $2 on $40 games and under and $5 on $60 games so TC asks why devs are catering to online games and phone games, because it pays, they've slaved to the console gamer for years and consumers have no respect for them
#31 Posted by jg4xchamp (49293 posts) -
[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]No I'm not annoyed by the casual push. So what they make games for an audience that isn't us? Welcome to every other f*cking medium ever. The idea is that if you do enjoy your medium that much you go through the trouble of finding the stuff that is better suited for you. But you know that would require some perspective. Midnightshade29

Except that they didn't? You act like these "triple A" devs are irreplaceable. Plus it's not like Rockstar isn't making a GTA 5, and didn't just pump out stuff like RDR and LA NOire(much to my dismay as that game is trash). You act like we don't have new people like Rocksteady and platinum. Or the entire indie scene. Or lesser guys like the stuff atlus does, or Shin Megami Tensei, or adventure devs. They are in the business of making money. Why should they keep trying to pump out triple A production after another, when they can generate some profits through phone games as well? Besides how is Square not trying? They bought Eidos and publish their stuff. As far as being a port and spinoff company. That's not new, they've been like that since the beginning of this gen.
#32 Posted by PannicAtack (21040 posts) -
[QUOTE="Killzonage"][QUOTE="GamerwillzPS"]

I completely agree.

Midnightshade29
No they don't.

play a game on portable with actual buttons and sticks and compare to a touch screen only device.... the dedicated portables are way better in everyway. I own an ipod touch have had it since 2008.... I would play psp, ds, vita, 3ds any day over the ipod touch.

I played Angry Birds on the PS3 with the buttons and sticks, and on the iPhone with the touch screen only. The touch screen works better for it.
#33 Posted by StrongDeadlift (5184 posts) -

LA NOire(much to my dismay as that game is trash). jg4xchamp

:twisted:

whore-mouth-meme-generator-you-shut-your

#34 Posted by Pug-Nasty (8508 posts) -

Phone games don't take up much of any big devs resources and net them some extra cash flow. Hardly a bad a situation for anyone.

As for why some games aren't on portable systems, the market is simply different. A portable system isn't ideal for playing a game like GTA, at least not the GTAs on consoles. Now that would be a waste of resources.

#35 Posted by razgriz_101 (16871 posts) -

I completely agree.

GamerwillzPS

Yet i've had a complete blast playing a few games like Angry Birds,Fruit Ninja,Final Fantasy and Civilization Revolution on mine :S.

Im a firm believer that if a developer can build round the touch screen and design the game in a manner that the control panels are not obtrusive to the gameplay then its good.

Sure it lacsk the tactility but its great for on the go gaming, mind you considerig you are one of the most blinkered idiots on this board i'm expecting you will retort with the logic of a 10 year old out its face on E.

#36 Posted by R4gn4r0k (17291 posts) -

What's wrong with phone games? Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP is pretty neat.PannicAtack

Thats the only phone game I've ever played that had any depth. Played it on PC btw.

#37 Posted by razgriz_101 (16871 posts) -

[QUOTE="PannicAtack"]What's wrong with phone games? Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP is pretty neat.R4gn4r0k

Thats the only phone game I've ever played that had any depth. Played it on PC btw.

most of the big phone games arent designed to be deep, but instead disposable games that are designed to play in short bursts.It suits the form factor and phone mentality well.

Strangely Civ works well on this i have a couple turns on a break from work and it works which was strange.I just wish they would release one that was not revolution and more fleshed out a-la Civ 2 but thats me just being picky i think.

#39 Posted by Rockman999 (7232 posts) -

LOL

The funny thing is that a lot of these developers were big PS3 contributers.

This is what cows deserve for not buying the games.

Face it you bum gaming doesn't revolve around you and it never will.

I've been saying this for a while now but phones conquered the mobile market years ago.