Timesplitters versus Halo

• 56 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52424 Posts

I'm playing Future Perfect again, and it's still fun. But both these franchises have been first person console exclusives for a while now. Although one died, and one's alive. Halo still lives.

But when it comes down to it, I prefer Timesplitters. Here's why:

-better story
-better visuals
-better characters
-better weapons
-cortez
-monkeys
-time to split

Animations look really nice. I like.. No, I don't like Halo. Not much. I played all of them, except for Halo 2. I tried them. And I'm not gonna sit her and say they're shit games. Honestly, play more than 3 games before you go calling Halo shit. I've played shit games that are really shit. But I've been able to get into the Halo franchise. Hell, even multiplayer, I'll give it to Timesplitters due to Virus, which is beyond brilliant. Don't know if Halo has it.

In short, I prefer Timesplitters. It's silly, good fun in both single, and multiplayer. Not to mention it's a much more consistent franchsie. Although that helps with it only having 3 entries.

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

I enjoyed all 3 Timesplitters games. Playing 4 player on virus mode was great fun.

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By kvally
Member since 2014 • 8445 Posts

For me, Halo > TS because:

• Halo has a better story
  • Halo has better visuals
  • Halo has better characters
  • Halo has better weapons
  • Halo has cortana's ass
  • Halo has leagues
  • Halo has more fun gameplay.

TS is cute and is fun for what it was/is, but short lived.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#4 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

I only ever played the one Timesplitters on Gamecube (I think 2?), and I enjoyed Halo far more than I enjoyed it.

I know @_Matt_ will disagree though xD

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 kvally

@charizard1605 said:

I only ever played the one Timesplitters on Gamecube (I think 2?), and I enjoyed Halo far more than I enjoyed it.

Man the Gamecube...that machine is an instant classic for me, along the lines of ColecoVision.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#6 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Halo, not even close. TimeSplitters controls like shit.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#7 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

Characters, story, and weapon variation? Time Splitters no doubt, I'd say the single player is a push. Halo had atrocious level design at times, but the way Timesplitters did FPS campaigns wasn't exactly splendid either, but yeah it was a more fun experience at least in sp. The multiple objectives in a mission, and the general pace of the experience was always rad. But a lot of it was very simplified corridor shooting that's enjoyable but, against some of its contemporaries, eh, that type of level design for instance was much more enjoyable in the likes of No One Lives Forever for instance.

But core mechanics: Halo was a better, and when it came to multiplayer: Halo is and was really good. It's never been mechanically among the elite of its genre, certainly not with that heavy ass aim assist, but the stuff surrounding the gameplay and its moment to moment play made it a blast. Feature rich, versatile for multiple modes that were all engaging while still required quality play and coordination from a competent team, and in the case of Halo 2 some of the best map designs ever (it's actually amazing the disparity between Bungie's mp map designs versus how shit their single player level design can be).

Timesplitters has a way better personality than a shit load of FPS games, but it never ascended to great heights for me personally as a game. And that first game sucks. 2 and 3 are rad, and Cortez is the shit, but I still like the playing it part of my games. So Halo, Then, Now, and since Timesplitters isn't getting a sequel, forever.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@Blabadon said:

Halo, not even close. TimeSplitters controls like shit.

to be fair, moon walking tank aiming master chiefs... were only good by console standards.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#9 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@kvally said:
@charizard1605 said:

Man the Gamecube...that machine is an instant classic for me, along the lines of ColecoVision.

I am not even sure if this is sarcasm lol

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Blabadon

@MBirdy88: no Halo game controls poorly, plz stop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

@Blabadon said:

@MBirdy88: no Halo game controls poorly, plz stop

Its a matter of perspective.

Timesplitters controls worse than Halo, you label it "bad".

Halo controls worse than ANY PC shooter... I call that "bad".

Had more raw fun with timesplitters though. Never understood the love for Halo, but then I was playing better PC MP shooters at the time, while TS was a local co-op focused one for us. different experiences.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Blabadon

@MBirdy88: Halo controls well on both PC and console. TimeSplitters doesn't control well on any system. It's not perspective.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

@Blabadon said:

@MBirdy88: Halo controls well on both PC and console. TimeSplitters doesn't control well on any system. It's not perspective.

Now see, again, perspective.

Halo Combat Evolved... you could kill players with the pistol from the other side of the map, no recoil, slow moving characters, e.g .. not designed for a mouse.

and no, again, opinion based, but still valid - moonwalking , tank aiming is ALWAYS going to be bad in my eyes...

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 jg4xchamp

@MBirdy88 said:
@Blabadon said:

Halo Combat Evolved... you could kill players with the pistol from the other side of the map, no recoil, slow moving characters, e.g .. not designed for a mouse.

and no, again, opinion based, but still valid - moonwalking , tank aiming is ALWAYS going to be bad in my eyes...

That's a mechanically disagreement, hardly a control thing. Also "tank aiming"

The other part I get, Halo is a bit floaty, don't agree with it being automatically poor for it, but as you said perspective, but the way the pistol works isn't a control issue. That's just how Halo's shooting engine is. Pure controls are concerned gamepad or otherwise, Halo works fluidly from base movement and just getting around on a map/level, to how the guns handle, to how the vehicles work. Be it on a keyboard or a pad. It being mechanically shallower than other FPS games to make it work on a pad, yeah not disagreeing with that one. But that's not a control knock.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#15  Edited By musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts

In Halo you can jump.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

@jg4xchamp said:
@MBirdy88 said:
@Blabadon said:

The other part I get, Halo is a bit floaty, don't agree with it being automatically poor for it, but as you said perspective, but the way the pistol works isn't a control issue. That's just how Halo's shooting engine is. Pure controls are concerned gamepad or otherwise, Halo works fluidly from base movement and just getting around on a map/level, to how the guns handle, to how the vehicles work. Be it on a keyboard or a pad. It being mechanically shallower than other FPS games to make it work on a pad, yeah not disagreeing with that one. But that's not a control knock.

Fair point. I think the PS2 dualshock analogs were a big part of the problem with aiming on TS though, other than that, it wasn't really hard, but yes, I would say it was dated compared to Halo.. gameplay was "faster" though, which is where consoles start to lose usability.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60705 Posts

Halo even though 343 flopped the entire franchise.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 jg4xchamp

@MBirdy88 said:
@jg4xchamp said:

Fair point. I think the PS2 dualshock analogs were a big part of the problem with aiming on TS though, other than that, it wasn't really hard, but yes, I would say it was dated compared to Halo.. gameplay was "faster" though, which is where consoles start to lose usability.

Yeah, they tried to maintain the speed of what the FPS was at the time, and to Halo's credit, what if we made a PC styled FPS, but for a gamepad. As a result you get what is this step child of Unreal and Tribes. Time Splitters on any pad, always felt skittery because of its speed, but even its shooting engine would have left a lot to be desired if it was on a proper keyboard and mouse.

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 kvally

@charizard1605 said:
@kvally said:
@charizard1605 said:

I am not even sure if this is sarcasm lol

Well, I am totally serious about ColecoVision. But I had some extremely memorable times playing Gamecube games at a friends. There are some game I could just go back to and enjoy.

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 kvally

343 >>>>>>>>>>> Bungie

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21  Edited By judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7247 Posts

@musicalmac said:

In Halo you can jump.

Ha! this is true. However you jump like you're on the moon and run like you're waist deep in jello. It was hard for me to get into having just come off of Unreal Tournament and Quake 3. Eventually got used to it and had a good time though.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#22 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts

@judaspete said:
@musicalmac said:

In Halo you can jump.

Ha! this is true. However you jump like you're on the moon and run like you're waist deep in jello. It was hard for me to get into having just come off of Unreal Tournament and Quake 3. Eventually got used to it and had a good time though.

True story. I was really into UT99 and Quake 3 during my college days. Starcraft and Diablo 2, as well. Such great times.

That being said, Halo had a special place in my heart, after I got over the initial sting of losing Bungie to MS. Dark days...

dobzilian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By dobzilian
Member since 2012 • 3409 Posts

Timesplitters was lot more fun. Halo was too slow and ugly for me after playing TS. I grew up playing Perfect Dark, Golden Eye so could be a reason why I just prefer the TS franchise.

what happened to the sequel? Sure there was talk of maybe a number 4 in the works.

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10502 Posts

@charizard1605: too right i disagree! Timesplitters was everything Halo wished it was gameplay wise, and the humour and story for Timesplitters felt so fresh

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 jg4xchamp

@dobzilian said:

Timesplitters was lot more fun. Halo was too slow and ugly for me after playing TS. I grew up playing Perfect Dark, Golden Eye so could be a reason why I just prefer the TS franchise.

what happened to the sequel? Sure there was talk of maybe a number 4 in the works.

That studio got bought by Crytek, and I'm pretty sure they made Homefront. The new one.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#26 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@freedomfreak:

Timesplitters is a BLAST to play and had tons of modes to choose from including a totally tubular level creator. NICE!!!?

Of everything you mentioned, I agree with you. I do brahh! BUT story. And graphics.

I loved the zany atmosphere and levels and had fun playing it like a million times but I'd be a liar if I said it was better than Halo's storyline. Halo to me is like discovering Mario for the first time. Everything about the universe was just so...awesome!

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

Whilst I loved and played the sh** out of Timesplitters on Gamecube, Halo is the better series.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 nepu7supastar7

@dobzilian:

Funny you should mention Perfect Dark and Golden Eye because the team behind them helped make Timesplitters!

dobzilian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 dobzilian

@jg4xchamp: remembered about crytek buying free radical. Just couldn't remember anything else but they was doing some online component of a game and zero else. Thanks for that.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#30 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58856 Posts

Not a fan of console shooters in general. It feels wrong.

dobzilian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 dobzilian

@killered3: Yeah, main reason I mentioned it was due to free radical once being RARE of past previous to Microsoft acquirement.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Never understood the appeal of Timesplitters. I remember playing one on the original Xbox and saw some resemblance with Perfect Dark (which was my fav game back in the day) but for some reason, it didn't grab me like PD did. Something about its art direction... looked kinda bad.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By nepu7supastar7

@dobzilian:

Did you try out Perfect Dark Zero? It felt just like how you would expect a modern Timesplitters to play like! That was crazy! But at the same time it made me sad because it just reminded me of what we lost.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

I loved the Timesplitters series since they were basically spiritual sequels to Goldeneye 007 and Perfect Dark which are the type of FPS that I love and miss. I've tried really hard to get into the Halo series, giving it multiple chances to impress me, but I just never have fun with Halo games.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#35 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

TImeSpliters was really fun and I remember it as being one of my favorite games of the past, I always wanted more of it. There's nothing wrong with somebody enjoying it more than Halo, but in technical terms I'll have to say Halo crushes Timesplitters...they're not even in the same league. Halo has more variety with its gameplay, does large and small scale battles, has a multitude of vehicles. Definitely would like to see more of TS though. Very cool shooter that doesn't take itself seriously.

FLOPPAGE_50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#36 FLOPPAGE_50
Member since 2004 • 4500 Posts

Halo > TS

Timesplitters was great though

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#37 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44548 Posts

While I disagree, there is a refreshing quality about revisiting older shooters, I'd say my favorite of the era was Dark Watch for the Xbox/PS2.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Timesplitters 1 and 2 had terrible shooting, bad controls, poor level design, small maps, and incompetent AI. The story for Timesplitters 1 was non-existent, for Timesplitters 2 it was a bit better but wasn't great, and for Future Perfect it was only marginally better over that.

They are in separate leagues. The only people who really loved Timesplitters were those who never had an Xbox.

This is coming from somebody who lived on Timesplitters 1 and 2 throughout the 6th gen. They are unplayable games now (I've tried), but you can replay Halo CE and Halo 2 and they feel very modern.

The Halo series is far better than Timesplitters could ever hope to be. There is a reason it stood the test of time and is still a series today while nobody bothered to keep Timesplitters going, despite it being a successful multiplatform series.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

Never understood the hype behind time splitters. They're fine games but nothing all that mind blowing. Halo on the other set the bar for shooters on consoles

Sweetbackhair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#40 Sweetbackhair
Member since 2007 • 2959 Posts

Ohh wow this is a tough one!

I would've picked TimeSplitters over Halo, but they stopped making them after Future Perfect (which was my favorite one).

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#41 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Future Perfect is an outstanding game, and the entire franchise is one of the few that truly deserve a remastering for the modern age.

I sank literal days of time into 2 and FP. It's one of the only games where I understood, and did well with the map editor.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

@Wasdie said:

The only people who really loved Timesplitters were those who never had an Xbox.

That's BS. The Xbox was the console that I played the most during the 6th generation and I had way more fun playing Timesplitters: Future Perfect on Xbox than I ever had playing Halo.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#43  Edited By WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9531 Posts

@freedomfreak said:

I'm playing Future Perfect again, and it's still fun. But both these franchises have been first person console exclusives for a while now. Although one died, and one's alive. Halo still lives.

But when it comes down to it, I prefer Timesplitters. Here's why:

-better story

-better visuals

-better characters

-better weapons

-cortez

-monkeys

-time to split

Animations look really nice. I like.. No, I don't like Halo. Not much. I played all of them, except for Halo 2. I tried them. And I'm not gonna sit her and say they're shit games. Honestly, play more than 3 games before you go calling Halo shit. I've played shit games that are really shit. But I've been able to get into the Halo franchise. Hell, even multiplayer, I'll give it to Timesplitters due to Virus, which is beyond brilliant. Don't know if Halo has it.

In short, I prefer Timesplitters. It's silly, good fun in both single, and multiplayer. Not to mention it's a much more consistent franchsie. Although that helps with it only having 3 entries.

Comparing Halo to Timesplitters Future Perfect (one of the best games of all time) is just ridiculous. TS in a LANDSLIDE. If a TSIV gets announced I will be doing backflips, and I'm not sure my fat ass should be doing those anymore... lmao. Rumors were flying around last year that MS was going to drop the bombshell and I was super hyped and excited.. and then nothing. Oh well, one can dream. I can't think of two games I would rather see get a new installation that SOCOM and Timesplitters... Maybe in a couple years they will be announced in the same E3. I might have a heart attack.. heh.

Seriously though, a Timesplitters sequel would EASILY be my most anticipated game in a long time. Only TS3 though.. I didn't care much for the first 2... but 3 was killer. When they announced that KI (killer instinct) was being rebooted I was equally as excited.. that is until I played the game and realized everything good about the series in it's previous installations had been stripped and dumbed down button mashing combos were placed in the game instead... also, what in the hell did they do to glacius and saberwolf... jago too.. they all look ridiculous. Not like the bad asses of yore.

Anyways though... yeah Timesplitters.. lol

quatoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#44 quatoe
Member since 2005 • 7242 Posts

@lamprey263: Dark Watch was amazing. I loved the atmosphere that game brought.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator

@storm_of_swords said:
@Wasdie said:

The only people who really loved Timesplitters were those who never had an Xbox.

That's BS. The Xbox was the console that I played the most during the 6th generation and I had way more fun playing Timesplitters: Future Perfect on Xbox than I ever had playing Halo.

That's great for you and all, but my point really stands.

Timesplitters is dead for a reason. Halo is not.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 jg4xchamp
@Wasdie said:
@storm_of_swords said:

That's great for you and all, but my point really stands.

Timesplitters is dead for a reason. Halo is not.

Because the middle market game died a miserable death last gen, and the retail space became big triple A projects or bust. Otherwise them making Haze and that game being shitty was more a detriment to them than Time Splitters. Halo being a better game is true and all, but the reason we don't get anymore Time Splitters has less to do with the quality of that game, and more to do with the nature of gaming in gen 7 forward.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Wasdie  Moderator

@jg4xchamp: Those kind of games survived on the PC. Blame lies with Crytek. They own Timesplitters and once attempted some PC version of the game. Then Crytek imploded because they decided that having 6-7 studios operating at once without putting a single game out was some how sustainable.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 jg4xchamp

@Wasdie said:

@jg4xchamp: Those kind of games survived on the PC. Blame lies with Crytek. They own Timesplitters and once attempted some PC version of the game. Then Crytek imploded because they decided that having 6-7 studios operating at once without putting a single game out was some how sustainable.

Right, but we're talking about what was essentially a console IP, and either way you slice it your description or mine, the games quality had nothing to do with the IP dying. There are other reasons, but sure Halo was a better video game.

KEND0_KAP0NI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#49 KEND0_KAP0NI
Member since 2016 • 1231 Posts

Mod, what the ****? This is not SW material.

Do your jobs

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#50 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34572 Posts

I've only played TimeSplitters 2 and I deeply regret never getting Future Perfect. TS2 was awesome, and enough for me to prefer it over the whole Halo series.