Time to place bets, which PS3 exclusive do you think GS will flop next year?

• 116 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#-49 Posted by Blazerdt47 (5661 posts) -

[QUOTE="Blazerdt47"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"] How the hell are they going to make God of War IV? Everyone in the Greek Pantheon is dead. Hell, even Ascension feels cheap because you can't fight anyone cool since you kill them all later on.DarkLink77

Well they could go with Norse mythology I don't know. Going by GOW3's ending it's possible to continue with a different story other than mass murdering gods. But GOW is one of Sony's cash cows, you can bet your life there will be more GOW games.

I'd like if they kept the God of War brand and just explored other mythologies. Norse would be very cool. No Kratos, though, please.

That would be cool. Though Kratos is the first thing that comes to mind when someone says God of War. It would be hard to flesh out another character. I wouldn't mind a Kratos vs. Thor fight similar to the Hercules fight. Norse could definitely work.

#-48 Posted by game_masta14 (3251 posts) -
[QUOTE="Blazerdt47"]

[QUOTE="bobbetybob"]I'd be very surprised if GoW got a 9, but since cows seem to be in super duper protection mode they'll probably hype it A so they can claim ownage if it gets an 8.bobbetybob

Dat gore.

god_of_war_ascension_gif_8_by_sonicx2011

It looks great visually but I feel like God of War's gameplay hasn't evolved at all in 5 games, it's still fun but I don't think reviewers will let it slide so easily after this many games.

Well else could you possibly to with the gameplay since they've already made it pretty good. It;s not one of those crazy high speed combo heavy games so it makes sense to stick with the tried and true formula.
#-47 Posted by DarkLink77 (31695 posts) -

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="Blazerdt47"]

Well they could go with Norse mythology I don't know. Going by GOW3's ending it's possible to continue with a different story other than mass murdering gods. But GOW is one of Sony's cash cows, you can bet your life there will be more GOW games.

Blazerdt47

I'd like if they kept the God of War brand and just explored other mythologies. Norse would be very cool. No Kratos, though, please.

That would be cool. Though Kratos is the first thing that comes to mind when someone says God of War. It would be hard to flesh out another character. I wouldn't mind a Kratos vs. Thor fight similar to the Hercules fight. Norse could definitely work.

Kratos doesn't really fit into Norse mythology, though. And frankly, he's really not a great character. I would rather have them wipe the slate clean and start fresh. That allows for much more creativity.
#-46 Posted by Sagem28 (10498 posts) -

[QUOTE="Sagem28"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"] How the hell are they going to make God of War IV? Everyone in the Greek Pantheon is dead. Hell, even Ascension feels cheap because you can't fight anyone cool since you kill them all later on.DarkLink77

Prequel, probably.

Set during the time Kratos served Ares. Or set between GoW 1 and GoW 2, when he achieved full God status.

This cow shall be milked, dammit :x

But they've already done like three prequels. :| And it still doesn't solve the problem of "no one cool to fight" which is a problem considering the series lives and dies on its boss fights.

You have a point..

Also, the part when [spoiler] you realize Kratos is still alive after beating Zeus clearly hints it's gonna be set after the events of 3.... Athena still lives, maybe he'll go after her. [/spoiler]

Not a very appealing "Villain" though.

#-45 Posted by game_masta14 (3251 posts) -

[QUOTE="Sagem28"]

Prequel, probably.

Set during the time Kratos served Ares. Or set between GoW 1 and GoW 2, when he achieved full God status.

But they've already done like three prequels. :|

And it still doesn't solve the problem of "no one cool to fight" which is an issue considering the series lives and dies on its boss fights.

Yeah they;ve already done every possible story scenario with the franchise so unless they make a game that takes place after 3 then they should just let the franchise rest for now. I would love to see them either start a new franchise or bring back Heavenly Sword.
#-44 Posted by Blazerdt47 (5661 posts) -

[QUOTE="Blazerdt47"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"] I'd like if they kept the God of War brand and just explored other mythologies. Norse would be very cool. No Kratos, though, please. DarkLink77

Kratos doesn't really fit into Norse mythology, though. And frankly, he's really not a great character. I would rather have them wipe the slate clean and start fresh. That allows for much more creativity.

Well Kratos didn't really fit into Greek mythology either but they did it. Maybe they could have a second playable character in a future GOW title alongside Kratos, just to get the audience familiar with him. Then they could start a new story based on that character. Like passing the torch off from Kratos.

#-43 Posted by DarkLink77 (31695 posts) -

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="Sagem28"]

Prequel, probably.

Sagem28

But they've already done like three prequels. :| And it still doesn't solve the problem of "no one cool to fight" which is a problem considering the series lives and dies on its boss fights.

You have a point..

Also, the part when [spoiler] you realize Kratos is still alive after beating Zeus clearly hints it's gonna be set after the events of 3.... Athena still lives, maybe he'll go after her. [/spoiler]

I mean, they could do that. But I would have no interest in playing it. If they keep going after Ascension without seriously switching it up, I'm just gonna be done.
#-42 Posted by DarkLink77 (31695 posts) -

Blazerdt47

Well Kratos didn't really fit into Greek mythology either but they did it. Maybe they could have a second playable character in a future GOW title alongside Kratos, just to get the audience familiar with him. Then they could start a new story based on that character. Like passing the torch off from Kratos.

Kratos is actually based off of a character from Greek mythology. He fits pretty well. I think they should just start fresh. I mean, it's God of War. Nobody plays it because Kratos is such a wonderful protagonist.
#-41 Posted by rjdofu (9170 posts) -
[QUOTE="Blazerdt47"]

My predictions:

God of War Ascension - 9.0

Sly Cooper: Theives in Time - 8.5 - 9.0

Beyond: Two Souls - 8.5 - 9.0

The Last of Us - 9.0-9.5

I honestly can't see any of those flopping.

DarkLink77
I could see all of those flopping. Especially The Last of Us (Naughty Dog First Attempt Syndrome), God of War (franchise fatigue), and Beyond: Two Souls (More Heavy Rain isn't exactly impressive).

The "Naughty Dog First Attempt Syndrome" bullsh!t didn't happen to Jax trilogy, you know that right? :| And one can call UC1 the weakest game in the trilogy, but only dumbass call it a flop, game got 88 on Meta for F sake.
#-40 Posted by DarkLink77 (31695 posts) -
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

[QUOTE="Sagem28"]

Prequel, probably.

game_masta14

But they've already done like three prequels. :|

And it still doesn't solve the problem of "no one cool to fight" which is an issue considering the series lives and dies on its boss fights.

Yeah they;ve already done every possible story scenario with the franchise so unless they make a game that takes place after 3 then they should just let the franchise rest for now. I would love to see them either start a new franchise or bring back Heavenly Sword.

I would love a new franchise. I don't think they could do Heavenly Sword because they didn't make it. That was Ninja Theory. Unless Sony owns the IP...
#-39 Posted by Sagem28 (10498 posts) -

[QUOTE="Sagem28"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"] But they've already done like three prequels. :| And it still doesn't solve the problem of "no one cool to fight" which is a problem considering the series lives and dies on its boss fights.DarkLink77

You have a point..

I mean, they could do that. But I would have no interest in playing it. If they keep going after Ascension without seriously switching it up, I'm just gonna be done.

That makes two of us.

Like mentioned before, a complete reboot of the series would be the best.

New era, new main character, new Gods to kill.

Hell, you can even keep Kratos.

#-38 Posted by Blazerdt47 (5661 posts) -

Prequel, probably.

Sagem28

You have a point..

They could do that. Then they could create their own characters and villains from scratch. Athena could definitely be some sort of villain. Maybe have her a slave to another mysterious all powerful villain that wanted Zeus dead by the hands of Kratos?

#-37 Posted by DarkLink77 (31695 posts) -

My predictions:

God of War Ascension - 9.0

Sly Cooper: Theives in Time - 8.5 - 9.0

Beyond: Two Souls - 8.5 - 9.0

The Last of Us - 9.0-9.5

I honestly can't see any of those flopping.

rjdofu
I could see all of those flopping. Especially The Last of Us (Naughty Dog First Attempt Syndrome), God of War (franchise fatigue), and Beyond: Two Souls (More Heavy Rain isn't exactly impressive).

The "Naughty Dog First Attempt Syndrome" bullsh!t didn't happen to Jax trilogy, you know that right? :| And one can call UC1 the weakest game in the trilogy, but only dumbass call it a flop, game got 88 on Meta for F sake.

Um... yes it did. Or are you seriously going to argue that Jak and Daxter was a better game than Jak II and Jak 3? Who here called it a flop? Take a chill pill, son.
#-36 Posted by DarkLink77 (31695 posts) -

You have a point..

Sagem28

That makes two of us.

But why would you keep Kratos? With a new era or a new mythological setting, he has no place in the series.
#-35 Posted by game_masta14 (3251 posts) -
[QUOTE="game_masta14"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"] But they've already done like three prequels. :|

DarkLink77

I would love a new franchise. I don't think they could do Heavenly Sword because they didn't make it. That was Ninja Theory. Unless Sony owns the IP...

I believe Sony still holds the IP rights for it. It's just Ninja Theory doesn't want to take another chance on a PS3 exclusive.
#-34 Posted by Sagem28 (10498 posts) -

[QUOTE="Sagem28"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"] I mean, they could do that. But I would have no interest in playing it. If they keep going after Ascension without seriously switching it up, I'm just gonna be done.DarkLink77

That makes two of us.

But why would you keep Kratos? With a new era or a new mythological setting, he has no place in the series.

As generic as he is, it would still feel weird to play a GoW game without Kratos.

For me it would, anyway.

#-33 Posted by DarkLink77 (31695 posts) -
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="game_masta14"]Yeah they;ve already done every possible story scenario with the franchise so unless they make a game that takes place after 3 then they should just let the franchise rest for now. I would love to see them either start a new franchise or bring back Heavenly Sword.game_masta14

I believe Sony still holds the IP rights for it. It's just Ninja Theory doesn't want to take another chance on a PS3 exclusive.

Well, that would make sense. Either way. I don't care, as long as it's not just more God of War with prettier gore.
#-32 Posted by DarkLink77 (31695 posts) -

That makes two of us.

Sagem28

As generic as he is, it would still feel weird to play a GoW game without Kratos.

For me it would, anyway.

Meh. I wouldn't care. I probably stand up and cheer, honestly. I hate Kratos as a character.
#-31 Posted by Blazerdt47 (5661 posts) -

That makes two of us.

Sagem28

For me it would, anyway.

He's a video game icon. You just can't have a GOW game without Kratos. A spin-off GOW game perhaps but Kratos is to GOW as what Mario is to Super Mario.

75edd5e4-c7f3-48ed-9516-789253cfce25.jpg

#-30 Posted by bobbetybob (19186 posts) -
[QUOTE="bobbetybob"][QUOTE="Blazerdt47"]

Dat gore.

god_of_war_ascension_gif_8_by_sonicx2011

game_masta14
It looks great visually but I feel like God of War's gameplay hasn't evolved at all in 5 games, it's still fun but I don't think reviewers will let it slide so easily after this many games.

Well else could you possibly to with the gameplay since they've already made it pretty good. It;s not one of those crazy high speed combo heavy games so it makes sense to stick with the tried and true formula.

Well, they could just not make the game. It feels like a pretty unnecessary prequel, same as Gears of War Judgment, at least that's focusing on secondary characters though and shedding light on their story a bit more. We already had 2 prequels and 3 main games to explore Kratos, what more could we possibly learn? I do like the gameplay, I feel the same way about it as I do CoD (that's not an insult) in that it's fast, fluid and never really gets old but, going back to my original point of review scores, is that same old gameplay enough for it to score a 9?
#-29 Posted by rjdofu (9170 posts) -
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="rjdofu"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"] I could see all of those flopping. Especially The Last of Us (Naughty Dog First Attempt Syndrome), God of War (franchise fatigue), and Beyond: Two Souls (More Heavy Rain isn't exactly impressive).

Um... yes it did. Or are you seriously going to argue that Jak and Daxter was a better game than Jak II and Jak 3? Who here called it a flop? Take a chill pill, son.

Flop = fail to meet the hype score, not fail to meet your opinion. And :lol: you really think J & D is the weakest in the series? Except this thread is about flopping :|, and by saying that syndrome BS, you basically imply that every Naughty Dog first attempt is either the weakest/ a flop. Btw, I'm perfectly chill, as always.
#-28 Posted by Blazerdt47 (5661 posts) -

[QUOTE="game_masta14"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"] I would love a new franchise. I don't think they could do Heavenly Sword because they didn't make it. That was Ninja Theory. Unless Sony owns the IP...DarkLink77

Well, that would make sense. Either way. I don't care, as long as it's not just more God of War with prettier gore.

It's obvious GOW will come along next gen but the gore....how far could they really take it. The next gen visuals will just make it a prime target for...

kratos_thompson.jpg

...more Jack Thompson.

#-27 Posted by DarkLink77 (31695 posts) -
[QUOTE="rjdofu"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="rjdofu"] The "Naughty Dog First Attempt Syndrome" bullsh!t didn't happen to Jax trilogy, you know that right? :| And one can call UC1 the weakest game in the trilogy, but only dumbass call it a flop, game got 88 on Meta for F sake.

Flop = fail to meet the hype score, not fail to meet your opinion. And :lol: you really think J & D is the weakest in the series? Except this thread is about flopping :|, and by saying that syndrome BS, you basically imply that every Naughty Dog first attempt is either the weakest/ a flop. Btw, I'm perfectly chill, as always.

Um... yeah. Having replayed them all back to back recently, I do. Every first ND game is the weakest. :|
#-26 Posted by bobbetybob (19186 posts) -

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="game_masta14"]I believe Sony still holds the IP rights for it. It's just Ninja Theory doesn't want to take another chance on a PS3 exclusive.Blazerdt47

It's obvious GOW will come along next gen but the gore....how far could they really take it. The next gen visuals will just make it a prime target for...

kratos_thompson.jpg

...more Jack Thompson.

Rockstar should release a next gen Manhunt and make every single soccer mom and Fox news presenter die of shock.
#-25 Posted by ArisShadows (22615 posts) -
Beyond: Two Souls, easily.. And maybe God of Wars Ascension, depending on if they hype it above a 8.5.
#-24 Posted by DarkLink77 (31695 posts) -

[QUOTE="Sagem28"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"] But why would you keep Kratos? With a new era or a new mythological setting, he has no place in the series.Blazerdt47

For me it would, anyway.

He's a video game icon. You just can't have a GOW game without Kratos. A spin-off GOW game perhaps but Kratos is to GOW as what Mario is to Super Mario.

75edd5e4-c7f3-48ed-9516-789253cfce25.jpg

But no one likes him. :|
#-23 Posted by rjdofu (9170 posts) -
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="rjdofu"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"] Um... yes it did. Or are you seriously going to argue that Jak and Daxter was a better game than Jak II and Jak 3? Who here called it a flop? Take a chill pill, son.

Um... yeah. Having replayed them all back to back recently, I do. Every first ND game is the weakest. :|

Though Jak 1 is too different from Jak 2&3. It's still better than Jak 3. And it seems many agree with me as well, so not the weakest :).
#-22 Posted by DarkLink77 (31695 posts) -
[QUOTE="rjdofu"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="rjdofu"] Flop = fail to meet the hype score, not fail to meet your opinion. And :lol: you really think J & D is the weakest in the series? Except this thread is about flopping :|, and by saying that syndrome BS, you basically imply that every Naughty Dog first attempt is either the weakest/ a flop. Btw, I'm perfectly chill, as always.

Though Jak 1 is too different from Jak 2&3. It's still better than Jak 3. And it seems many agree with me as well, so not the weakest :).

I disagree. I so disagree. It's easily the weakest because it's aged the most. It was a decent platformer at the time, but now? Not so much. Jakd II and Jak 3 have aged much more gracefully, and Jak 3 is easily the most mechanically sound out of all of them.
#-21 Posted by Sagem28 (10498 posts) -

But no one likes him. :|DarkLink77

How many guys can say they boned Aphrodite, though ? :P

#-20 Posted by DarkLink77 (31695 posts) -

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

But no one likes him. :|Sagem28

If Greek myth is anything to go by, quite a few.
#-19 Posted by ArisShadows (22615 posts) -
[QUOTE="Sagem28"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

This..
#-18 Posted by Sagem28 (10498 posts) -

[QUOTE="Sagem28"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

Damn harlot.

#-17 Posted by Blazerdt47 (5661 posts) -

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="rjdofu"] Flop = fail to meet the hype score, not fail to meet your opinion. And :lol: you really think J & D is the weakest in the series? Except this thread is about flopping :|, and by saying that syndrome BS, you basically imply that every Naughty Dog first attempt is either the weakest/ a flop. Btw, I'm perfectly chill, as always.rjdofu

Jak 2/3 were definitely better than Jak 1 in my opinion.

Jak & Daxter: The Precursor Legacy - Gamespot score 8.8 - Metacritic 90 - User score 8.7 with 7192 votes

Jak 2 - Gamespot score 9.1 - Metacritic 87 - User score 9.0 with 7959 votes

Jak 3 - Gamespot score 8.6 - Metacritic 84 - User score 9.1 with 7624 votes

So much for many agreeing with you as well.

#-16 Posted by Cherokee_Jack (32198 posts) -
The one I would advise cows not to hype is Sly. Those games never scored above 8.4 when they were being made by Sucker Punch, and now this fly-by-night, no-name studio is making a new one. I'll be impressed if it gets 8.0
#-15 Posted by sukraj (22177 posts) -

Sly Cooper

#-14 Posted by rjdofu (9170 posts) -

[QUOTE="rjdofu"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"] Um... yeah. Having replayed them all back to back recently, I do. Every first ND game is the weakest. :|Blazerdt47

Jak & Daxter: The Precursor Legacy - Gamespot score 8.8 - Metacritic 90 - User score 8.7 with 7192 votes

Sweet ownage I guess? And suddenly user score is more important than Meta/Gamespot score why? I mean, you wouldn't take this review seriously, would you?

#-13 Posted by whiskeystrike (12068 posts) -

God of War for terrible MP/co-op

Tales of Xilia for not having autobattle.

#-12 Posted by whiskeystrike (12068 posts) -

As someone who finished Jak 2 today for the first time I can safely say f*** that final boss fight. So cheap, so constricting and so anticlimatic. Great game though.

#-11 Posted by planbfreak4eva (2870 posts) -

My predictions

The Last of Us: 9.0

Beyond: Two Souls: 8.0

God of War Ascension: 8.0

Sly 4: 7.0

BPoole96
i guess thats /thread. though, if gow ascension doesnt get a 9 on gs i will go out of control
#-10 Posted by Blazerdt47 (5661 posts) -

[QUOTE="Blazerdt47"]

[QUOTE="rjdofu"] Though Jak 1 is too different from Jak 2&3. It's still better than Jak 3. And it seems many agree with me as well, so not the weakest :).rjdofu

Sweet ownage I guess? And suddenly user score is more important than Meta/Gamespot score why? I mean, you wouldn't take this review seriously, would you?

Nah I just think over 7,000 scores from users are better than 1 critic's review. It doesn't matter though, we all have our opinions and I think Jak 3 was best.

#-9 Posted by rjdofu (9170 posts) -
[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

My predictions

planbfreak4eva
i guess thats /thread. though, if gow ascension doesnt get a 9 on gs i will go out of control

Depends on what they'll offer though, basing on what i've seen so far, 8.5 max. But if they can deliver another groundbreaking SP like GOW2 did, it'd very well score AAA (at least in my book)
#-8 Posted by rjdofu (9170 posts) -

[QUOTE="rjdofu"]

[QUOTE="Blazerdt47"]

Blazerdt47

Nah I just think over 7,000 scores from users are better than 1 critic's review. It doesn't matter though, we all have our opinions and I think Jak 3 was best.

Yeah, I was just trying to say that it's not a fact that Jak 1 is the weakest, though I certainly respect yours & DarkLink's opinion.
#-7 Posted by mems_1224 (46601 posts) -

My predictions

BPoole96
that sounds about right.
#-6 Posted by nervmeister (15200 posts) -
Nah I just think over 7,000 scores from users are better than 1 critic's review. Blazerdt47
I thought so too.......until I saw all the 10s and 0s given to exclusives on IGN.
#-5 Posted by Blazerdt47 (5661 posts) -

[QUOTE="Blazerdt47"]

[QUOTE="rjdofu"]

rjdofu

Yeah, I was just trying to say that it's not a fact that Jak 1 is the weakest, though I certainly respect yours & DarkLink's opinion.

Agreed.

#-4 Posted by planbfreak4eva (2870 posts) -
[QUOTE="planbfreak4eva"][QUOTE="BPoole96"]

My predictions

rjdofu

Depends on what they'll offer though, basing on what i've seen so far, 8.5 max. But if they can deliver another groundbreaking SP like GOW2 did, it'd very well score AAA (at least in my book)

well what can go wrong with gow? after the first i knew 2 would be awesome, and after 2 that 3 would be awesome. 4 should be the same. only reason i see gs giving it a lower score is if they keep the combat the same. i see them saying now, oh, the camera is this and that and the mechanics are the same blah blah blah. thats what they did to infamous 2. and then somehow, a game like cod gets 9 every year(except BO 2)
#-3 Posted by funsohng (27614 posts) -
I'm gonna say all of them, just to be safe.
#-2 Posted by OldSnakePS3 (310 posts) -
none of the big 3 if any is a "flop" itll be sly 4, but theres not that much hype for it anyway its like a bonus for us ps3 fans, -sony spoils us for sure
#-1 Posted by TheEpicGoat (2006 posts) -

I think GoW:A will flop with a 7.5, the rest will most likely meet hype.

#0 Posted by Cheleman (7616 posts) -

I'll be too busy playing them all to care about GS :)

finalstar2007

What Mr. finalstar said.