This is What Legend of Zelda looks like in Unreal Engine 4

#51 Posted by _Matt_ (9443 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@_Matt_ said:

@charizard1605 said:

But nothing is technically stopping UE4 from running on the Wii U, it is more than capable of running it if it wanted to. Given that it was designed to run on an iPhone if necessary, running on the Wii U should be no issues with some scale backs.

As for this specific instance- again, the tech demo looks good as a tech demo. This would be the worst art style for a Zelda game yet, so I would hope Nintendo, even if they decided to use UE4 for their next game for whatever reason, actually brought in their signature art style with them. Something like the E3 tech demo would be amazing.

That was my point, it is more than capable enough of running UE4, I was more meaning the porting process would be a lot more painful getting onto WiiU than the other 2 8th gen platforms.

And whatever engine Ninty use, they can take their artstyle with them, the engine is unlikely to define that, it would only define technical limitations.

So exactly how pared back would UE4 have to be before it ran on Wuu?

And that, my good sir, I cannot answer as I have no idea, and it would depend highly on both the game and the talent of the team. There are currently no UE4 Wii U games to judge it either.

If I was to give a blanket generic answer, I would say draw distance, and texture resolution would be the biggest things to suffer.

#52 Posted by charizard1605 (61748 posts) -

@Maroxad said:

@charizard1605 said:

@Desmonic said:

Hmm, looks great but it seems to lack that charm... can't really put my finger on it, but even the WiiU tech demo had something "extra" that added a bit more soul into it... Perhaps due to looking so overly cinematic/realistic in some sense? Not sure.

Definitely looks great though, no doubts about it.

It was the artstyle. Nintendo's artstyle is incredible. This tech demo looks like a random generic fantasy game.

To be fair, some of the Zeldas are generic fantasies. Like Ocarina of Time and A Link to the Past.

Both have a non generic art style (or at the very least did at the time of their release)

#54 Edited by charizard1605 (61748 posts) -

@Desmonic: Dat lighting in Super Mario 3D World...

#56 Posted by Maroxad (8742 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@Maroxad said:

@charizard1605 said:

@Desmonic said:

Hmm, looks great but it seems to lack that charm... can't really put my finger on it, but even the WiiU tech demo had something "extra" that added a bit more soul into it... Perhaps due to looking so overly cinematic/realistic in some sense? Not sure.

Definitely looks great though, no doubts about it.

It was the artstyle. Nintendo's artstyle is incredible. This tech demo looks like a random generic fantasy game.

To be fair, some of the Zeldas are generic fantasies. Like Ocarina of Time and A Link to the Past.

Both have a non generic art style (or at the very least did at the time of their release)

If anything, they are more non-generic now than ever ;) seeing how all these games go for a grim, edgy and rehulistic artstyle. Speaking of which, I loved A Link to the Past's fairy tale esque artstyle. It really captured the feel for (how I view) Zelda. It is a shame we dont see more games with artstyles like that.

#57 Posted by _Matt_ (9443 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

@PurpleMan5000: @_Matt_:

Just for comparison sake...

Wii (Dolphin)

WiiU

Notice how much better the same artstyle looks with better hardware. Sure you can still pick flaws if you really want, but there is no denying that stronger harder made a very similar artstyle look much, much better.

A good artstyle can hide a lot of technical limitations, but with great hardware it can show a looooooot more!

I thank you for helping me with my point there of "If it had the technology to really make the art style shine, then sure, maybe I would change my mind, but as it stands no I think it looks awful."

The technical umph helps so much.

#58 Edited by silversix_ (16241 posts) -

something the whole gaming community would've enjoyed if nintendo pull out their head out of their anus and created a console that isn't three Wii's taped together, woke up and started using engines that weren't created in 1996.

#60 Edited by 93BlackHawk93 (6256 posts) -

Tbh, that artstyle looks dull.

#61 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (7887 posts) -

@silversix_ said:

something the whole gaming community would've enjoyed if nintendo pull out their head out of their anus and created a console that isn't three Wii's taped together, woke up and started using engines that weren't created in 1996.

That console would have been as expensive as the other consoles and probably sold even worse. So a smaller portion of the gaming community would have had the privilege of enjoying the game.

#62 Edited by _Matt_ (9443 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

@_Matt_: No problem mate :P And yeah, 3D World looks amazing. Even in terms of AA, which is something Ninty doesn't always do great with! :O

Aye, though I prefer how MK8 looks.

#63 Edited by Gue1 (11443 posts) -

@FreedomFreeLife said:

Wii U

PS3

Uncharted is like a generation ahead of Mario Kart 8 when it comes to complex geometry dawg. Open those screens on separate taps and compare them again to notice all the flat textures in Mario Kart.

Nintendo just tends to use much less complex geometry coupled with bright colors to make their games shine on underpowered hw.

#64 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (16267 posts) -

Saw this on Gaf, it looks absolutely terrible.

The realistic direction just sucks any of the charm the zelda series has with it's visuals right out, it's definitely not the way to go.

#65 Posted by silversix_ (16241 posts) -

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@silversix_ said:

That console would have been as expensive as the other consoles and probably sold even worse. So a smaller portion of the gaming community would have had the privilege of enjoying the game.

and why would it sell less? If nintendo truly pull out their head out their ass the thing would've been advertized and get all the multiplats. If a system is as power (or even more powerful) than its competition, gets all the Nintendo exclusives and all the 3rd party, there's no reason for a console not to sell well. People associate Nintendo consoles with 'not selling well', well, Nintendo still has their head inside their anus so of course its selling poorly. If a shitty Xbox One can sell, every console can be sold with enough marketing.

#66 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (7887 posts) -

@silversix_ said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@silversix_ said:

and why would it sell less? If nintendo truly pull out their head out their ass the thing would've been advertized and get all the multiplats. If a system is as power (or even more powerful) than its competition, gets all the Nintendo exclusives and all the 3rd party, there's no reason for a console not to sell well. People associate Nintendo consoles with 'not selling well', well, Nintendo still has their head inside their anus so of course its selling poorly. If a shitty Xbox One can sell, every console can be sold with enough marketing.

Nintendo used to make powerful consoles that didn't get all of the multiplats. The Wii U is as powerful as the PS3/360 and didn't get a lot of multiplats from those consoles. Basically, you would be paying a premium of $200-$300 to upgrade Nintendo's exclusives from 720p to 1080p, and it's just not worth it.

#67 Posted by _Matt_ (9443 posts) -

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@silversix_ said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@silversix_ said:

Nintendo used to make powerful consoles that didn't get all of the multiplats. The Wii U is as powerful as the PS3/360 and didn't get a lot of multiplats from those consoles. Basically, you would be paying a premium of $200-$300 to upgrade Nintendo's exclusives from 720p to 1080p, and it's just not worth it.

Good reason for that: Nintendo had their head in their ass, just as Silversix said.

Nintendo has never tried to retain and form 3rd party relationships and it damages them.

#68 Posted by m_machine024 (15164 posts) -

I honestly il looks bland but man that's some lighting tho.

#69 Edited by nini200 (10529 posts) -

@FreedomFreeLife said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@_Matt_: It's Hyrule Warriors, the Zelda/Dynasty Warriors spinoff game that is coming out this year.

In short, it´s Zelda game by Nintendo. Stop your excuses

FACT.

It's actually by Tecmo Koei lol

#70 Posted by locopatho (21070 posts) -

Technically pretty but artistically quite bad, for Zelda.

I would adore if Nintendo still made cutting edge consoles and graphics, but not in plain "realistic" art styles.

#71 Edited by mexicangordo (8658 posts) -

Beh, I don't even think its technically pretty. It looks flat out dull. Zelda will look way better than that when they reveal it-- though I doubt they will go for the Twilight Princess look.

They confirmed years ago that it was going to have Skyward Swords art style but enhanced. A year later they said they scraped that idea and wen't in a different direction, now after the huge success of ALBW, they said they took lots of ideas off that. I would not be surprised if the next Zelda game revolved around Teen/Young Adult Link (Think Majora's Mask Link) with a brand new engine that was a cross between OoT and Twilight Princess (Dark and Charming). That would be a big shocker.

#72 Posted by musicalmac (23637 posts) -

That really is a sad reminder of what we'll never get.

#73 Posted by KiZZo1 (3973 posts) -

Maybe next gen ... ?

#74 Posted by Ballroompirate (23745 posts) -

The first 30 sec looked pretty decent but after that it got progressively worse looking to the point I don't even want a Zelda game to look like that (seriously that whole tomb area looked horrible).

#75 Edited by KBFloYd (14751 posts) -

@Gue1 said:

Uncharted is like a generation ahead of Mario Kart 8 when it comes to complex geometry dawg. Open those screens on separate taps and compare them again to notice all the flat textures in Mario Kart.

Nintendo just tends to use much less complex geometry coupled with bright colors to make their games shine on underpowered hw.

also one is 60fps and the other is 30..

#76 Posted by eNT1TY (1110 posts) -

I didn't find it impressive at all. It's completely lacking that certain Nintendo punch visually. This is some straight up un-modded skyrim dungeon caliber visuals. I'm sure the engine is much more capable than what is on display here. The lighting is not that good and material presentation for the stone bricks, the floor panels, the columns and walls (basically every surface) are quite poor imo; also, perhaps it's the temple's architecture but geometry is really low though there is no excuse for the owl statues to look as poor as they do. This looks like it was made in a weekend by some modder (albeit an experienced one) with a fresh UE license to screw around with the toolset. Nintendo can make an austere location like this look alive this guy not so much in this particular example. In fact this makes me appreciate how much nintendo does with so little during the last couple of gens, the craftmen rather than the tools and all that jazz.

#77 Posted by Sphensen (814 posts) -

@locopatho said:

Technically pretty but artistically quite bad, for Zelda.

I would adore if Nintendo still made cutting edge consoles and graphics, but not in plain "realistic" art styles.

I agree with this guy, but I would absolutely love it if they did an OCT HD remake for the Wii U

#78 Edited by SonySoldier-_- (860 posts) -

This is why non-sheep want Nintendo to go 3rd party so they can makes franchises like Zelda and Metroid with much better graphics.

#79 Edited by Life-is-a-Game (589 posts) -

The butthurt .. I can feel it .. Hahaha Nintendo haters at their peak of butthurt is always funny :D

#80 Edited by KBFloYd (14751 posts) -

@SonySoldier-_- said:

This is why non-sheep want Nintendo to go 3rd party so they can makes franchises like Zelda and Metroid with much better graphics.

but even if they go 3rd party nintendo would still be the ones making the game.....i doubt they would completetly change their style.

#81 Posted by AznbkdX (3576 posts) -

Tech demo was better.

#82 Posted by kingjazziephiz (2461 posts) -

@SonySoldier-_-: graphics does not make a game better though

#83 Posted by CrumUnderMe (195 posts) -

PS1 cinematics

#84 Posted by sonic_spark (4805 posts) -

The e3 demo from a few years ago looks better than this technically, and of course, the art style in that demo is far superior to this.

#85 Edited by ConanTheStoner (7590 posts) -

Glad I'm not the only one that thinks this looks kinda shitty. No offense to the guy that made it, I'm sure it took a lot of work and makes for a good portfolio piece... but I'd be pretty sore if they made a Zelda game look like that.

#86 Posted by Willy105 (24587 posts) -

Looks pretty bland. But it's ok-ish for a fan tech-demo.

#87 Edited by PrincessGomez92 (3811 posts) -

Looks rather boring.

#88 Posted by YearoftheSnake5 (8173 posts) -

Someone needs to give that man a job, if he doesn't have one already. That is amazing work. Not only does it emulate the Temple of Time concept, but it has unique aspects, such as the custom stain glass and banners, that give it a twist.

#89 Posted by blangenakker (2607 posts) -

*puts hand up* Who still remembers that Zelda tech demo they showed before the Wii U came out?

#90 Posted by foxhound_fox (90829 posts) -

Completely soulless. Like almost every other "realistic" games these days.

#91 Edited by gamevet77 (345 posts) -

I came

#92 Edited by princeofshapeir (15215 posts) -

Why are people getting bent out of shape over one person's creative project in UE4

"I would never play a Zelda game that looks like that"

"The artstyle is so bland"

Shut up

#93 Posted by StrongBlackVine (9471 posts) -

@kingjazziephiz: Actually they do. Ugly graphics break immersion.

#94 Posted by Pffrbt (6596 posts) -

@musicalmac said:

Not that sad, this looks awful. I sincerely hope we never get a Zelda with such bland art.

#95 Posted by R4gn4r0k (17523 posts) -

WiiU isn't getting UE 4 right.

Though I think WiiU games look good it would be even better if Nintendo made a console with the power of PS4/Xbone... no, wait just PS4. And a handheld with the power of a Vita.

It's sad Nintendo always chooses to lag behind.

@charizard1605 said:

Zelda U will be revealed in one month- what kind of art style do you think will it have?

I'll be happy with an E3 2012 style or a wind waker cell shaded style. I don't want a Skyward Sword style

#96 Posted by musicalmac (23637 posts) -

@Pffrbt said:

@musicalmac said:

Not that sad, this looks awful. I sincerely hope we never get a Zelda with such bland art.

It wasn't the bland look I was commenting on, it was the crisp lines and the clear views. Really could have been neat.

#97 Edited by HalcyonScarlet (5255 posts) -

@FreedomFreeLife said:

Well, this is Wii U Zelda they showed:

Is that Princess Zelda or Link?

-

They should use the same character modeling as they do in the Batman games or Gears of War :-P

#98 Edited by HalcyonScarlet (5255 posts) -
@FreedomFreeLife said:

Wii U

PS3

But they aren't even going for the same art direction.

#99 Edited by inb4uall (6520 posts) -

@PinkieWinkie said:

Too mature for Nintendo.

Says..... Pinkiewinkie?

L O L

#100 Posted by MonsieurX (31718 posts) -

Oh boy,FreedomForLife took a hard beating and still tried to come back